The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Batman > The Dark Knight Rises

Old 04-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #751
OutRiddled
Banned User

Default Re: Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle/Catwoman XXXIV

Looking at those above gifs.. Anne Hathaway just does nothing for me. It's the same feeling I get when I look at Halle Berry as Catwoman. Yet instead of looking silly she just looks awkward and weird. She also isn't anywhere near pretty enough or has those 'feline' qualities that Catwoman should have. Catwoman is supposed to be a stunning beauty (unless you want to count those Frank Miller's Year One where she is a bald prostitute).

And if that's supposed to be imitating Julie Newmar, just look at the way the mask fits over her eyes - it doesn't look right:

For comparison:

OutRiddled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 02:53 PM   #752
milost
Banned User

So wait, you like Julie Newmar and Michelle Pfeiffer, but you don't like the Hathaway one at all?

Her look and attitude are practically a homage and channeling the 60's Catwoman. The mask? Who cares if the eyes are a millimeters off? You still get the idea.

I don't get what the problem is. If you like the other two, surely there would be something there with the recent Catwoman to like.

All those tumblr gifs are usually a bit fruity and make the characters of films look silly with it's forced symbolism/symmetry (especially that last one with baby Batman in her lap). I bet I could find lame, bright, gifs of Newmar and Pfeiffer as well.

Last edited by milost; 04-13-2013 at 02:57 PM.
milost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #753
OutRiddled
Banned User

How was she anything like Newmar? Newmar was a goddess.. feminine, slinky.. just an icon of sex. Hathaway is nowhere near her league. Newmar had a demeanour that was part playful, and part aggressive. Hathaway was acting like a sassy bad girl most of the time.

Old 04-13-2013, 03:08 PM   #754
Travesty
Dats right!

I would easily say that Newmar and Hathaway had totally different portrayals. The mask is the only thing that is similar.

*Dat Kane and his gifs!
Travesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #755
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

She wasn't anything like Newmar's performance because Newmar was camp, just like the show. Newmar's Catwoman was an out and out criminal. She relied on henchmen to do her fighting.

Totally different characterization to Hathaway and Pfeiffer.

- The Joker

Last edited by The Joker; 04-13-2013 at 07:07 PM.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 04:38 PM   #756
OutRiddled
Banned User

She relied on henchmen because this was the 60's, and they weren't going to show a man hitting a woman, especially in a kids show. Just sayin'.

Old 04-13-2013, 04:44 PM   #757
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfBoose View Post
And what is this about? Batman kills. In all movies. Stupid movie - are you talking about The Dark Knight Rises? Yeah, he killed several people there.

Also, do you get that Batman didn't want to kill Shreck and wanted to put him in jail? Unlike Selina?
Batman killing people when there's no choice (Ra's killed himself by destroying the controls so he can't stop it, Two Face had a kid at gunpoint, Talia and the thugs had a bomb that was going to destroy the city in a few minutes, what else was he supposed to do?) is different than things like shoving a bomb in the thug's pants and knocking him down the hole.

Snow Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:11 PM   #758
milost
Banned User

To be fair, I never said that the characterization of Hathaway and the other two Catwoman's were the same. They're not.

What I don't understand is how Outriddled doesn't dig the Hathaway version, but likes the other two versions. I said Hathaway is channeling the Newmar version on a superficial level. Mostly in look and attitude.

Riddled was talking about looks and appearances and masks, that's why I stated what I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham's Knight View Post
Batman killing people when there's no choice (Ra's killed himself by destroying the controls so he can't stop it, Two Face had a kid at gunpoint, Talia and the thugs had a bomb that was going to destroy the city in a few minutes, what else was he supposed to do?) is different than things like shoving a bomb in the thug's pants and knocking him down the hole.
The difference between the two is the Keaton Batman doesn't have a "no killing" rule and the Bale Batman does.

It's not like the Keaton Batman is a mass murdering, cold blooded killer. How about all the freaks he doesn't kill and immobilizes non-lethally? Nobody here discussed choice. Bale Batman has a pretty cut and dry, "no killing, no guns" attitude. We don't really get the specifics to it about how LITERAL it is. Does it change when choice is involved? Do massive cannons and guns on your vehicles not count? Is it only hand guns?

Keaton Batman doesn't worry about any of this. He does what he has to.

He ironically/poetically set the FIRE breather on FIRE after he (along with those juggling stilt walkers) were setting innocent civilians on fire and burning down department stores.

Strongman thug? He took out the group before him with ease, didn't kill any of them. He has a bomb in his hands that's about to go off. This guy just hit him hard in the stomach and he taunts him to hit him in the face. Batman does, no effect. This guy is twice his size.

What's he do? He straps the bomb to him and knocks him in the hole.

Those are his two kills. I'm not justifying it, but that's the Keaton Batman's character. He doesn't have a "one rule" that he breaks. He does what he has too. And even then, did the fire breather die? Was the bomb lethal (I think it was, but we do see confetti, not intestines and bits of flesh)? The kamikaze gang member had it strapped to his chest. Was he REALLY going to run at Batman and blow himself up with the rest of his friends?

They're terrorists causing trouble, were they really going to kill themselves to stop Batman? They seemed pretty afraid when he was coming towards their sewer lair when they abandoned Penguin.

Last edited by milost; 04-13-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:54 PM   #759
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutRiddled View Post

And if that's supposed to be imitating Julie Newmar, just look at the way the mask fits over her eyes - it doesn't look right:

For comparison:

She wasn't suppose to be imitating Julie Newmar. Anne based her performance on Hedy Lamarr - the original inspiration for Catwoman.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:53 PM   #760
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
She wasn't suppose to be imitating Julie Newmar. Anne based her performance on Hedy Lamarr - the original inspiration for Catwoman.
That's the one aspect of Anne's performance that never added up for me... I didn't feel any of Lamarr in it.

I was getting excited when she was talking about Lamarr and smoky breathing in interviews, but for me, it wasn't there on the screen.

I'll miss you dad! xx

Pfeiffer-Pfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:57 PM   #761
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Well maybe it was her inspiration behind it, but Nolan told her dial back on it. It's easy to come off as caricaturish if you're doing a Hedy Lammar impression (or any impression really).

I think even doing a Julie Newmar one would've sounded too cartoonish.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #762
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Hedy Lamarr would have made an awesome Catwoman in her day. I was just watching some clips of her on youtube and you could see why she was the inspiration for the character.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:37 PM   #763
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfeiffer-Pfan View Post
That's the one aspect of Anne's performance that never added up for me... I didn't feel any of Lamarr in it.

I was getting excited when she was talking about Lamarr and smoky breathing in interviews, but for me, it wasn't there on the screen.
It was mostly in the voice. She never took a breath while talking (at least when she wasn't playing a ditzy maid or victim). She usually spoke in a measured, husky monotone. That is very Lamarr.

I actually was a bit worried it'd come off as campy or forced in the movie. Instead, it worked beautifully well, in my opinion.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:42 PM   #764
OutRiddled
Banned User

Lol, the Princess Diaries chick thought she could be anything like Hedy Lamarr. The first woman in history to depict an orgasm onscreen and the co-inventor of wi-fi technology. Not to mention one of the most stunning hollywood beauties of all time.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:52 PM   #765
geetard
Interstellar Voyager

Quote:
Lol, the Princess Diaries chick thought she could be anything like Hedy Lamarr. The first woman in history to depict an orgasm onscreen and the co-inventor of wi-fi technology. Not to mention one of the most stunning hollywood beauties of all time.

geetard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:59 PM   #766
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Quote:

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:13 AM   #767
OutRiddled
Banned User

If you're a fan of Anne Hathaway, that's cool, and I have nothing against you. I don't have anything against her personally, it's just that she does nothing for me.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:15 AM   #768
milost
Banned User

Quote:

Ouch.

Gotta admit though, that was a pretty good post. LOL I had no idea she was the first to do those things until I googled them. My reaction was priceless.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:38 AM   #769
geetard
Interstellar Voyager

Though, the Wi-Fi part is a bit incorrect. Her work has helped developed wireless technologies and modern ones such as wireless LANs, Bluetooth, 3G, etc.

Wi-Fi is more of a trademark.

geetard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:58 AM   #770
Anita18
DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!

Has nothing to do with Hedy's acting though.

Anita18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:50 AM   #771
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Man, sounds like someone's been burned by Miss Hathaway.

Old 04-14-2013, 08:49 AM   #772
Kansiov
Side-Kick

Quote:
Five bucks you'd probably knew nothing of Hedy Lamarr until Hathaway mentioned her. But I guess googling Hedy Lamarr makes you instantly a fan and intellectually superior to everyone else.

Kansiov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:14 AM   #773
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
If you're a fan of Anne Hathaway, that's cool, and I have nothing against you. I don't have anything against her personally, it's just that she does nothing for me.
Question: Since you clearly have no interest in Anne Hathaway, and you also clearly do not like Nolan's movies at all, why do you spend so much time here? At least other regular critical posters either liked or loved the Nolan Batman movies overall. You can understand why they're here all the time. They're speaking as fans who were dissatisfied with certain parts of it. Like milost. He was really unhappy with TDKR, is often very critical of it, but there was things in it he enjoyed, like Hathaway, and he loved BB and TDK and staunchly defends them. It's easy to understand why he's here so frequently. But not you. You're not a fan at all:

http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=375

I've never seen anyone invest so much time to movies that he constantly claims he dislikes and bore him. You're obviously just trolling.

- The Joker

Last edited by The Joker; 04-14-2013 at 09:40 AM.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:39 PM   #774
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Did Anne Hathaway kick your dog or something? The level of disdain you have for an actress who has already won an Oscar and done work like Rachel Getting Married is extreme if for months on end you just go onto Internet message boards for a movie you hate to call her "the Princess Diaries" chick.

I would call it trolling, but even they would give it a rest by now.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:02 PM   #775
OutOfBoose
Bat-Brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Well technically he didn't know she was after Shreck until the Masquerade Ball and they found out each other's identities, just after she whipped out a gun and said she was going to kill Max.
Nothing to argue about here. I just didn't have time to type in a detailed response. The guy above said, "I liked the chemistry between the two of them, i just didn't buy catwoman having a real/legitimate grudge against batman at any point though." So I pointed one.

Quote:
Her vendetta against Batman, it seemed to stem from a hardcore feminist attitude against men in general:
I think, her criminal behavior stemmed from it. Batman was just one of many. Initially. But she managed to know more about who Batman really is, and it changed her attitude towards him.

Quote:
So when Batman napalmed her arm and knocked her off a building, she took it as personally as she did when Schreck knocked her out of a window. Don't forget she was clearly mentally unstable by now, too. I mean she gave herself a "bath" in front of the Penguin by licking herself all over like she was an actual cat cleaning itself.
Yep, it was the point, when she decided to find an ally. Some men proved to be tougher than she expected.

I don't get why people keep clinging on the topic about Catwoman's mental instability in BR. How is Two-Face, Batman, Joker or any other super-villain in Gotham mentally stable? Gotham is a madhouse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham's Knight View Post
Yep, that's why his code about not killing is a mess. Why introduce this idea at all, when Batman constantly breaks his code for all kinds of reasons. It looks stupid and unnecessary. Vigilante is a vigilante.

Regarding that bomb in Batman Returns. It was an effective solution to the problem. Cops shoot people to death if somebody points even a toy gun at them. But when army of thugs turn streets into ruins with dynamite, rocket launchers (!!!) and hand grenades, when they shoot at people and so on, I don't see any reason for trying to be noble and merciful. They got what they deserved.

Last edited by OutOfBoose; 04-15-2013 at 03:49 AM.
OutOfBoose is offline   Reply With Quote