I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Default Re: How to avoid rehashing elements from the Nolan Trilogy

Batman Titles in Veins of Other Movies

Once Upon A Time in Gotham
The Masked, Unmasked, and Permawhite
Big Trouble in Little Gotham
All Criminals Go to Gotham
The Last Vigilante

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
“At DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:20 PM   #27
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Batman Reborn?

Using reborn just seems odd when Nolan killed off the original Batman in TDKR, even if it's a reboot and not related to Nolan's trilogy.

The Batman or Shadow of the Bat are my choices for the title.
I get what you're saying.

Some might think that it's a sequel to TDKR (Batman "dying", and 'rising'/resurrecting/being reborn at the end with Blake).

This would probably feel even more this way if it was titled "The Dark Knight Reborn".

However, I think a new actor, a new look, and a trailer/dialogue that shows some 'origin' stuff ("Yes father, I shall become a bat"), and the resulting PR will make people aware that it's a reboot.

Batman 'Reborn' would then emphasize this, letting the audience know that they're getting something new and fresh; it almost sounds proud that it is a reboot, and not The Dark Knight 4.

Last edited by FeedOnATreeFrog; 04-14-2013 at 10:23 PM.
FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:33 PM   #28
the last son
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
Batman Titles in Veins of Other Movies

Once Upon A Time in Gotham
The Masked, Unmasked, and Permawhite
Big Trouble in Little Gotham
All Criminals Go to Gotham
The Last Vigilante
lol

Batman Unchained
Kingdom of gotham
gotham independence
the little batman
bats got to have it

Old 04-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #29
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
How about Batman Begins Again?
Batman Has Already Started, And This Is His Second Year As A Crimefighter

There

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:12 PM   #30
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

If they do want to restructure specific minutia of Batman's origin (for story purposes and otherwise), I wouldn't want them to simply redo the origin again, but pepper those deviations in the form of flashbacks throughout the next series of films if they can.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:01 PM   #31
TheWiseGuy487
Electrifying!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsior. View Post
If they do want to restructure specific minutia of Batman's origin (for story purposes and otherwise), I wouldn't want them to simply redo the origin again, but pepper those deviations in the form of flashbacks throughout the next series of films if they can.
They could do something ala The Incredible Hulk, with a few minute intro sequence chronicling all the major events in his life from his parents being murdered to his training and all the way up to his current status as the Caped Crusader of Gotham.

Then sprinkle flashbacks of his life throughout the film.

5-.-2-.-14

TheWiseGuy487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:12 PM   #32
shauner111
Side-Kick

I don't like the "Batman Reborn" idea. I mean, I DO but not after the trilogy we just had. That rumor from last year of the reboot being named "The Batman" sounded cool to me. Very simple. It could be a hint that the upcoming series will be The batman interpretation of the comics/animation.

My question is, if they model the movie after Arkham Asylum (even in storyline to an extent) would they call the film "Arkham Asylum" or "Batman: Arkham Asylum"?? With it being a title for a comic, video game..i guess it wouldn't hurt. But what do u guys think..

The origin wont happen but I can see them pulling a Batman Forever moment where Bruce thinks of his past in a short flashback. Or they can go the Spider-Man route and do a montage in its opening credits with the new theme music playing over it. I wouldn't mind that at all.

Key points like angles/sounds of Bats coming towards him as a child, cut to the Waynes shot in an alley in front of him, doing martial arts somewhere in the outdoors, quick shot of the batcave with Bruce/Alfred standing inside, more bats flying around, the cowl & suit but not revealing too much, Joker laughing.

Just examples but that would be pretty cool.

shauner111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:09 AM   #33
Neo-god

Treat Batman Begins as unofficial canon, and go from there. Less bulky suit, and more focus on Batman's intelligence, a Sherlock Holmes/Ozymandias type.

Neo-god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:52 AM   #34
James Howlett
Newbie First Class

Keep Nolan's style of serious and dark storytelling but don't make it too realistic. The action scenes should be more "superheroic". Make Batman jump and kick more and more agile than the previous ones.

1st Film: Start with "Year One" which covers the origin and training in 5-10 mins thru flashback. Then adapt the story of "Batman: Prey" for the second half. So, Hugo Strange would be the main villain. Use Penguin in place of Carmine Falcone as the secondary villain and Deadshot in place of Night Scourge as the henchman. Deadshot would provide some hardcore action sequences with lots of bullets and bombs. Deadshot would keep the comic book feel while HS would maintain the dark Nolan approach.

Batman/Superman: Since this is a "DC Cinematic Universe", this movie is bound to happen. We will Batman against Poison Ivy who would try to control Supes like she did in Hush. In the end she would be revealed to be working for Lex Luthor. The film would focus on the strained relationship between Bats and Supes. Their 1st encounter could be a fight.

2nd Film: The Riddler is the main villain - a crazy genius determined to prove his superior intellect. Trying to solve his riddles would lead Batman to encounters with other villains like Killer Croc and Catwoman.

3rd Film: Best villain for a third film would be none other than the Joker himself. He would be introduced in the previous films and in this one's beginning, he's locked up in arkham when harley quinn would free him. "The Man Who Laughs" would provide an interesting story and would feature the Joker venom. Also, "The Killing Joke" would be incorporated with the joker paralyzing Barbara Gordon. So, she would become Oracle and help batman in tracking him down. And since I'm talking of a shared universe, oracle could be used in future JLA films or a "Birds of Prey" movie. Harley Quinn would be Arkham City style, providing some action scenes.

James Howlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:17 PM   #35
TruerToTheCore
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathancrane View Post
-Remove Lucius Fox from the narrative. Have Batman fashion his own equipment.
-If Two-Face has to be used, start the film with him scarred.
-Have supervillains installed in Arkham Asylum.
-No Mafia. Criminal Mafia, sure.
-Make Bruce a lovegod; don't lock him onto one woman (Rachel Dawes.)
-Make the Batmobile fantastic; reject the utilitarian principles behind the Tumbler and perversity of Burton's Batmobile.
-Increased Batarang and Grapnel-gun use.
-Make it a blend of location shooting and sets; use diverse architecture/architects (for example, Nolan acknolwedged Mies van der Rohe as the principle influence for TDK. And it shows. In the good way.)
-Use Americans for the cast. Nolan chose a Euro-centric cast (and also converted the League of Shadows to it,) so tap into the pool of American talent.
-Tap into the supernatural and hard-edged science of the comics; Legends of the Dark Knight might be a terrific source to extract elements from.)
-Sort of with the architecture, but not: more gargoyles, dammit.
-Create a different score: Elfman reinvented the Gothic Horror soundtrack; Zimmer created his own blend of electronic and orchestra; whoever takes over scoring duties should have their own distinct stamp on it, and not try to imitate the others. Possible candidates: David Arnold, Nigel Godrich, Tyler Bates.
-Change the suit: don't make it all black. It's been done to death. What I would like (which would also separate it from Nolan): make the suit collapsible. I always loved scenes in the TAS when he carried his suit with him in the suitcase. Better yet: make it blue, like it was in the Denny O'Neill/Englehart runs.
-Avoid League of Shadows/Assassins for 1-2 films,depending on the space between them.
-Play the clown imagery associated with Joker: give him a vehicle with his face on it, a lair with clown/carnival imagery on traps, and an oversized hammer. We've had the viral terrorist, now it is time to have the creative maniac who theatricality knows no bounds (I am thinking of AC Joker.)
-Include characters from the comics, instead of surrogates: Leslie Thompkins, Harvey Bullock, Renee Montoya, and hell, Jack Ryder.
-Use Arkham City's network of Easter Eggs as an influence: hint at all of the characters active in the city. Planting seeds in the film will a) tickle fans b) serve as a way to set up future scenarios without introducing retroactive continuity. It does not have to be as tightly wound as the MCU. A mention on a newscast about a sewage worker missing, a radio mention of a renowned surgeon moving to Gotham City, or a newspage advertisement for the Iceberg Lounge.
-Do not have Bruce confront Joe Chill: let him not be found. Nolan had him confront him, and Burton had him confront Napier. It has been overused.
-Create a sense of community: what I loved about the first two Halloween films was that Haddonfield Illinois felt like a real place. The effects of the villain were experienced all over the social landscape, which was refreshing. The same can be done with a city: carefully construct the script to reflect the changes that super-heroes/villains are having on the city, in addition to meeting my rule about the ratio of sets/locations.

This is the beginning of my list; I am going to go to sleep now, and will post more in the morning.

TruerToTheCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:56 PM   #36
LuisTX85
Anti-Hero

I 100% agree on everything in johnathancrane's post!

Old 04-20-2013, 06:07 PM   #37
IamtheBatman
Side-Kick

I am hoping for a Arkham movie.

IamtheBatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:43 PM   #38
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Quote:
-Use Americans for the cast. Nolan chose a Euro-centric cast (and also converted the League of Shadows to it,) so tap into the pool of American talent.
Does this really matter? When the European slant of the actors will be hidden beneath the American identity of the characters they are playing anyways?

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:36 PM   #39
LuisTX85
Anti-Hero

Thumbs up Re: How to avoid rehashing elements from the Nolan Trilogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamtheBatman View Post
I am hoping for a Arkham movie.
It'd be interesting IF they made a film based on the Arkham Asylum game,It'd be like The Raid Redemption/Dredd and Lockdown mixed together..But with Batman stuck in the crazy house for one night as he fights through many psycho inmates and super villains to get to Joker who set up the trap and let the crazies free!!

No origin story/No direct sequel or anything fancy/No Bruce relying on people for help..Just one big quality Batman story where he has to use his own intellect/gadgets/martial arts and detective skills!

Old 04-20-2013, 08:26 PM   #40
itsthebatman
Side-Kick

No origin story. Please God not again.

Batman-News.com
itsthebatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:41 PM   #41
LuisTX85
Anti-Hero

Yeah,Doing it like B'89 would be great

Old 04-22-2013, 06:50 AM   #42
Galactus123
Side-Kick

I hope reboot will be darker and not so reality based. I want that characters like Clayface and Killer Crock can exist in that world. I have always wanted to see live action version of the 90s animated series style of world. I like the style:

I hope Gotham City will not be city that already exist. Nolan's Gotham was Chicago and New York. I don't want that.

Galactus123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:12 PM   #43
LuisTX85
Anti-Hero

Yeah,I really miss the comic book fantasy element in a Bat film,Yes it had some in the in the Nolan trilogy But I mean more like Burton's films and Forever to an extend.

It has to be balanced though and not overdone like in the Schumacher films and especially B&R,Should be more like..

-Dark and Gritty:B'89

-Type of Gotham:B'89 or Begins

-Seriousness and characters handled:Nolan Trilogy

-Humor:Toned down version of Returns's dark humor

-Bruce Wayne:Similar to Val Kilmer or Christian Bale's

-Batman:Similar to Keaton or Val Kilmer's

Add all those elements together and more comic faithful:Perfect Bat film(IMO)

Old 04-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #44
Bad Superman
World's Grimmest Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidergeek232 View Post
I think that Man Of Steel will definitely be realistic, but also with some fantastical elements. I could see the Batman Reboot using a lot of elements from the Arkham games. It's dark, gritty, fantastical, and not to mention AWESOME!!
Totally agree with this. More fantastical elements are needed to open the door for other cool villians.

I would add a more gothic "look" or "tone" similar to Burton's.

"There’s no need to "modernize" Superman in order for the character to be appealing to the new generation. Superman is not a brooding angst ridden conflicted hero. He is a beacon of hope and his mission is to fight for Truth, Justice and the American way. Superman doesn’t need to wear an armor suit. He’s THE Man of Steel. There’s no need to “modernize” the suit for it to be more “dark” and “edgy”. If today’s generation can’t accept the character’s roots and essence, then they’re not true fans."
Bad Superman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:48 PM   #45
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

I want to let people know that I changed my mind on this after seeing the latest MOS trailer. I don't think MOS looks anywhere as realistic as I thought it was going to look. It seems to be more of a mix between the maturity & intelligence of the Nolan Batman films, the heart of Favreau's Iron Man and of Donner's Superman, and the fun action tone of The Avengers. Thus you have more room for a Batman reboot that is not a rehash of the Nolan stuff.

Shikamaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:00 PM   #46
ЯɘvlveR
danneB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Superman View Post
Totally agree with this. More fantastical elements are needed to open the door for other cool villians.

I would add a more gothic "look" or "tone" similar to Burton's.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:06 PM   #47
FeedOnATreeFrog
A Metal Gear reference

Quote:
Originally Posted by ЯɘvlveR View Post
Man, I would love to see a shot of a silhouette fight, ala Skyfall, on a stage in a creepy theatre with some pounding drums in the back.

Last edited by FeedOnATreeFrog; 04-22-2013 at 10:11 PM.
FeedOnATreeFrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:18 AM   #48
Oscorp
Side-Kick

Make it more fantastical like the comics and the Arkham game for instance.

This time, I want a "Mark Hamill"-like Joker! Bring it on!

"it's ****ing terrible. it's twilight ********."
-Levitikuz' friend, as told to Levitikuz' friend's date, about TASM.
Oscorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:42 PM   #49
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Ehh...I don't think it would be smart to have someone in a live action film trying to feel like they sound like a cartoon version or a video game. Every new adaptation needs to be new, as new as Ledger's was to Nicholson's.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:32 AM   #50
Rorschach2012
$

Avoid rehashing elements of Nolan's trilogy? Get Richard Grayson and add more fantasy oriented villains

Rorschach2012 is offline   Reply With Quote