The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

View Poll Results: DOFP Worldwide prediction
+ $300 million 7 5.07%
+ $400 5 3.62%
+ $500 23 16.67%
+ $600 32 23.19%
+ $700 38 27.54%
+ $800 16 11.59%
+ $900 10 7.25%
+ 1 Billion 5 3.62%
1,100 - 1,250 1 0.72%
1,250 -1,500 0 0%
+ 1,500 1 0.72%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 03:02 AM   #201
Mr. Dent
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 8,959
Default Re: 'Days Of Future Past' BOX-OFFICE worldwide prediction

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
Momentum is one thing. But unheard of leaps and bounds is another.

Of course The Avengers will have an effect, but it's not like the Midas touch. Thor and Cap are not Iron Man. They don't have the big Robert Downey Jr. factor. They will show growth and that is good, but it's going to happen within the confines of reality, not fantasy.
It's completely in the realm of the possible and probable. A movie like Avengers is a once in a generation type of movie, you're not giving it enough credit. A movie doesn't become the highest grossing non-James Cameron flick and not have huge repercussions. The intrigue level and interest in the Marvel brand and all the characters in the Avengers movie have increased by leaps and bounds, so there is no reason to believe the gross won't. If you actually look at my numbers closely, most of the increase comes from OS where the Avengers would surely have put Thor and Cap, and the Marvel brand in general, in much better positions. Furthermore, none of those phase 1 films basides Avengers had Disney marketing going for it. You think it's a coincidence that Avengers grossed $1.5b as the first Marvel film to be marketed and distributed by Disney? No, it's not.

With the combination of the Avengers' success, the resulting stock rise in the Marvel brand, and Disney marketing, again, such rises in gross for Thor and Cap are very much possible if not probable.

Quote:
You can roll your eyes as much as you want, but I offered some actual analysis of your numbers instead of just saying you had no clue and calling you ignorant. I never understand how users become like you, quick with the personal insults and high on insensitivity.
Because it's the internet. Deal.

As for analyzation of numbers, I've already said numerous times why it's not a forgone conclusion or certainty that DOFP will do these gangbuster numbers that some of you are predicting, be an event film, or outgross TASM2, Cap2, or GotG. Considering the fact that most of you ignore such logic, yes, I'm going to call you ignorant.

In any case, I wasn't even calling you ignorant specifically for that. I'm calling you ignorant because you are to the effect of Avengers and Disney.

Quote:
You say I have no clue, yet you don't seem to understand how box office multipliers work for sequels. And if you think their popularity is so through-the-roof now then that means... FRONTLOADING. You throw out ridiculous growth estimates for new franchises... the likes of which X-Men, Spider-man, and Iron Man have all NEVER been able to achieve. You think GotG is going to open to 65M and close at 230M... an internal multiplier of over 3.5? Summer blockbusters do not do that unless they're kids movies or an extreme fluke. The movie hasn't even started filming and you think it's going to be this amazing anomaly.
And there you go, again, ignoring the Disney/Marvel brand, which I keep pointing out. GotG is not going to be some typical unknown property, it's going to be marketed as being a part of the Avengers and Marvel brand. How do you think every Pixar movie makes in excess of $400m+? It's not just about them being kids films, it's about the brand and marketing. They're seen as a staple of quality and family fun and Disney backs that up with flawless marketing and merchandising. It's the exact same situation with Marvel now.

I realize that I'm multiplying the gross by 3 times, and that is because I believe it will be a hit and have legs in combination with the Avengers branding. If you look back at UP it opened at 68m and ended up at 293m. If a movie is extremely well received and works within an existing, well received, well known brand this type of box office performance is not unprecedented. THAT is what you are not taking into account and refuse to respect.

Also, I was being conservative with OW anyway. My gut tells me around $75-80m.

Quote:
Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but at least I put some thought into it.
Congratulations.


Last edited by Mr. Dent; 04-14-2013 at 03:12 AM.
Mr. Dent is offline  
Old 04-14-2013, 03:22 AM   #202
josh8
Side-Kick
 
josh8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,644
Default Re: 'Days Of Future Past' BOX-OFFICE worldwide prediction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
It's completely in the realm of the possible and probable. A movie like Avengers is a once in a generation type of movie, you're not giving it enough credit. A movie doesn't become the highest grossing non-James Cameron flick and not have huge repercussions. The intrigue level and interest in the Marvel brand and all the characters in the Avengers movie have increased by leaps and bounds, so there is no reason to believe the gross won't. If you actually look at my numbers closely, most of the increase comes from OS where the Avengers would surely have put Thor and Cap, and the Marvel brand in general, in much better positions. Furthermore, none of those phase 1 films basides Avengers had Disney marketing going for it. You think it's a coincidence that Avengers grossed $1.5b as the first Marvel film to be marketed and distributed by Disney? No, it's not.

With the combination of the Avengers' success, the resulting stock rise in the Marvel brand, and Disney marketing, again, such rises in gross for Thor and Cap are very much possible if not probable.
I guess herein lies the difference in our analysis. I've been basing it on box office trends for the last decade or so. And you're basing it on a game-changer. I will concede that this could be a different situation, so I'm listening now. But why is one opinion so obviously ignorant and one not? That is my problem with your attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Because it's the internet. Deal.
I can deal... I just don't understand it. I'm the same way on the internet as I am in real life, regardless of what anonymity affords you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
As for analyzation of numbers, I've already said numerous times why it's not a forgone conclusion or certainty that DOFP will do these gangbuster numbers that some of you are predicting, be an event film, or outgross TASM2, Cap2, or GotG. Considering the fact that most of you ignore such logic, yes, I'm going to call you ignorant.
Again, if we ignore your logic we are ignorant, but if you ignore ours you are not? Oh yeah, I forgot... it's the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
In any case, I wasn't even calling you ignorant specifically for that. I'm calling you ignorant because you are to the effect of Avengers and Disney.

And there you go, again, ignoring the Disney/Marvel brand, which I keep pointing out. GotG is not going to be some typical unknown property, it's going to be marketed as being a part of the Avengers and Marvel brand. How do you think every Pixar movie makes in excess of $400m+? It's not just about them being kids films, it's about the brand and marketing. They're seen as a staple of quality and family fun and Disney backs that up with flawless marketing and merchandising. It's the exact same situation with Marvel now.

I realize that I'm multiplying the gross by 3 times, and that is because I believe it will be a hit and have legs in combination with the Avengers branding. If you look back at UP it opened at 68m and ended up at 293m. If a movie is extremely well received and works within an existing, well received, well known brand this type of box office performance is not unprecedented. THAT is what you are not taking into account and refuse to respect.
I've listened to what you had to say and some of your points are valid. But I guess you're probably not going to do the same. I pointed out that your prediction doesn't work for GotG based on it not being a children's movie (so the comparison to UP doesn't apply). The pattern you predict is only possible if it becomes a breakout sensation... which is EXTREMELY rare. Regardless of it's popularity boost from The Avengers (which it won't have that much of it unless Thor or someone shows up), that will only apply to the OPENING. The Avengers branding will not give it legs. THAT IS IMPOSSIBLE. It's legs will depend on the movie's quality and whether it clicks with audiences.

In words you'll understand... I am pointing out why your prediction for GotG is not a forgone conclusion or certainty. So if you ignore that logic then I guess that makes you ignorant as well.

josh8 is offline  
Old 04-14-2013, 10:33 AM   #203
Moridin
Death Contagious Deity
 
Moridin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ireland
Posts: 1,502
Default Re: 'Days Of Future Past' BOX-OFFICE worldwide prediction

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
It's pretty obvious from your previous posts that you have a huge Marvel/Disney bias.
I notice you aren't calling psylockolussus out on his Fox bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Most of those films you mentioned came from a well-known material or an ongoing movie franchise. Guardians of the Galaxy is not.
The GA couldn't care less what comics are popular in nerd circles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
It's legs will depend on the movie's quality and whether it clicks with audiences.
I think it's pretty clear these predictions (on everyone's part) are made with a view to these films meeting their potential quality, if they suck then of course they'll probably bomb.

__________________
Lightning struck down twice...
Stones thrown rooftop high...

Defend night-flight sites...
Trap clamped, snared for pyres...

Witchtripper...
Witchtripper...

Last edited by Moridin; 04-14-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Moridin is offline  
Old 04-14-2013, 01:00 PM   #204
josh8
Side-Kick
 
josh8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,644
Default Re: 'Days Of Future Past' BOX-OFFICE worldwide prediction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moridin View Post
I notice you aren't calling psylockolussus out on his Fox bias.
psylockolussus' prediction wasn't my issue. I was commenting on one user having equally unbelievable predictions (IMO, of course) and his attitude towards another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moridin View Post
I think it's pretty clear these predictions (on everyone's part) are made with a view to these films meeting their potential quality, if they suck then of course they'll probably bomb.
That's true. However, I am not saying any of those movies will bomb. My only problem with Dent's GotG prediction is the legs factor. I actually think the movie will do quite well.

josh8 is offline  
Old 04-14-2013, 02:07 PM   #205
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary
 
X-Maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Genosha
Posts: 12,861
Default Re: 'Days Of Future Past' BOX-OFFICE worldwide prediction

It's really difficult to tell how GotG will do. Disney/Marvel will be fully aware of its marketing difficulties and are no doubt doing a lot of thinking/talking about that.

It always seemed a weird choice for a movie, anyway.

__________________
Noah 3/10, Godzilla 6/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier 7/10, X-Men: Days of Future Past 9/10
X-Maniac is offline  
Old 04-14-2013, 02:27 PM   #206
Angamb
Banned User
 
Angamb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Spain
Posts: 13,348
Default Re: 'Days Of Future Past' BOX-OFFICE worldwide prediction

Im sure they dont have high expectations with the first movie.

They would be more than happy if it does 350-400m.

with 3D release, a great marketing and good word of mouth, it wont be hard to achieve.

Angamb is offline  
Old 04-14-2013, 02:29 PM   #207
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger
 
Duran Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 3,277
Default Re: 'Days Of Future Past' BOX-OFFICE worldwide prediction

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
It's really difficult to tell how GotG will do. Disney/Marvel will be fully aware of its marketing difficulties and are no doubt doing a lot of thinking/talking about that.

It always seemed a weird choice for a movie, anyway.

And then there's that goofy raccoon. People are either going to love him or hate him. I personally never liked raccoons, those bastarding little pricks!

__________________
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Duran Man is offline  
Old 04-14-2013, 03:11 PM   #208
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary
 
X-Maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Genosha
Posts: 12,861
Default Re: 'Days Of Future Past' BOX-OFFICE worldwide prediction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duran Man View Post
And then there's that goofy raccoon. People are either going to love him or hate him. I personally never liked raccoons, those bastarding little pricks!
Yep, a gun-toting raccoon and a talking tree. Sounds more like a Pixar animation for kids. But it could be a great family movie if it pulls off the space creatures thing more than Green Lantern, which just looked stoooopid.

__________________
Noah 3/10, Godzilla 6/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier 7/10, X-Men: Days of Future Past 9/10
X-Maniac is offline  
Old 04-14-2013, 05:21 PM   #209
Mr. Dent
Banned User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 8,959
Default Re: 'Days Of Future Past' BOX-OFFICE worldwide prediction

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
I guess herein lies the difference in our analysis. I've been basing it on box office trends for the last decade or so. And you're basing it on a game-changer. I will concede that this could be a different situation, so I'm listening now. But why is one opinion so obviously ignorant and one not? That is my problem with your attitude.
Again, I'm not calling your opinion ignorant. You can believe DOFP is somehow this movie destined to outgross all the other Marvel films in 2014 and be some event, I don't care. What I'm specifically calling you ignorant for is completely ignoring the effect Avengers and Disney will have on Marvel films going forward. We've seen this before with Pixar after Finding Nemo and the Incredibles and being purchased by Disney. None of their movies have grossed less than $460m since, and all of them besides one grossed over $500m.

Quote:
I can deal... I just don't understand it. I'm the same way on the internet as I am in real life, regardless of what anonymity affords you.
I'm this way in real life. I call out dumb **** when I see it.

Quote:
Again, if we ignore your logic we are ignorant, but if you ignore ours you are not? Oh yeah, I forgot... it's the internet.
I have not ignored your logic, I've directly responded to it numerous times. From there, people in here continue to act as if Avengers and Disney somehow are not going to greatly effect all Marvel films and also act as if the GA at large gives a damn about the cast from the original X-Men being in DOFP enough to make it an event film. That is ignorant because that line of thought clearly shows a lack of knowledge in the history of film franchises, particularly with Disney, and also a lack of understanding on what exactly the current standing the X-Men films and Fox are in.

And again, I did not call you ignorant because of that in the first place. So stop bringing it up.

Quote:
I've listened to what you had to say and some of your points are valid. But I guess you're probably not going to do the same. I pointed out that your prediction doesn't work for GotG based on it not being a children's movie (so the comparison to UP doesn't apply). The pattern you predict is only possible if it becomes a breakout sensation... which is EXTREMELY rare. Regardless of it's popularity boost from The Avengers (which it won't have that much of it unless Thor or someone shows up), that will only apply to the OPENING. The Avengers branding will not give it legs. THAT IS IMPOSSIBLE. It's legs will depend on the movie's quality and whether it clicks with audiences.
I'm not saying the film will have legs based off of the Avengers, I'm saying it will have legs because I believe it will be a hit and the awareness of the film will be far higher than a typical new property due to the Avengers branding, which will help it along. It's all connected.

And even though you claim to listen, you obviously must not, because I've already said it's not about them being kids films, it's about the branding. UP is not just a kids film, it's a family film. That's also the model Marvel takes. Yes, their films are rated PG-13, but that hardly stops families from going together anymore.

No matter how much you say you listen or whatever, you continue to ignore how these films are actually marketed and what effect branding has on them. Pixar films do no do so consistently well because they are kids films. I've gone into it several times already, I'm not repeating it again. When you actually respond and present a valid argument against the effect Disney marketing and Pixar branding have on their films and supporting the logic that they somehow only do well because they're "kids" films, then I will respect your opinion. Because right now, all you're doing is repeating the same thing over and over in response to me without actually addressing what I've said.

Quote:
In words you'll understand... I am pointing out why your prediction for GotG is not a forgone conclusion or certainty. So if you ignore that logic then I guess that makes you ignorant as well.
And again you fail to listen although you claim to do so. I've never said my prediction for GotG is a forgone conclusion, I've said it's unlikely that GotG will gross less than $400m and that DOFP is not guaranteed to outgross Cap2 and GotG given the situation X-Men films are in right now as opposed to Marvel Studios films, which I said because people in here were talking about DOFP being a surefire event film and would definitely outgross the former two Marvel movies.

If you think that is an ignorant position, well then, lol.


Last edited by Mr. Dent; 04-14-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Mr. Dent is offline  
Old 04-14-2013, 11:26 PM   #210
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!
 
psylockolussus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The future, where else would I be?
Posts: 18,034
Default Re: 'Days Of Future Past' BOX-OFFICE worldwide prediction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
So can I make a bet with you that every single thing there is going to be wrong and you'll never post another prediction on this forum again after August 2014 if I'm right?

I'm not even sure if you're serious with that prediction, it looks like a troll post. Honestly, half of you people here sound like out of touch 2005 X-Men fans.
Aren't you a little too nice. Those are my predictions, not yours. So deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moridin View Post
I notice you aren't calling psylockolussus out on his Fox bias.
Excuse me, FOX bias? I hated Origins and I don't want a Deadpool film and First Class sequel.

And I'm not argue with Mr. Dent anymore, because I don't like it when people take these arguments to the next level like posting insults and saying names. I'm just gonna report him to the mods.

__________________
X-MEN RI5E' MUTANT OF THE MONTH | ICEMAN | PORTRAYED BY SHAWN ASHMORE
"Welcome to mutant high" - X1
"Call me Iceman" - X2
"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/

Last edited by psylockolussus; 04-14-2013 at 11:31 PM.
psylockolussus is offline  
Old 04-14-2013, 11:42 PM   #211
danoyse
Snikt. Stab. Repeat.
SHH! Administrator
 
danoyse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: A world I long to see.
Posts: 22,698
Default Re: 'Days Of Future Past' BOX-OFFICE worldwide prediction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Because it's the internet. Deal.

As for analyzation of numbers, I've already said numerous times why it's not a forgone conclusion or certainty that DOFP will do these gangbuster numbers that some of you are predicting, be an event film, or outgross TASM2, Cap2, or GotG. Considering the fact that most of you ignore such logic, yes, I'm going to call you ignorant.

In any case, I wasn't even calling you ignorant specifically for that. I'm calling you ignorant because you are to the effect of Avengers and Disney.
In any case, I recommend that you stop calling anyone ignorant because they see things differently than you do.

These are the rules on this particular corner of the internet. Deal.

__________________
"You change the world when you change your mind.
danoyse is online now  
Old 04-14-2013, 11:45 PM   #212
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay
 
Lightning Strykez!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Where Mortals Fear To Tread
Posts: 31,399
Default Re: 'Days Of Future Past' BOX-OFFICE worldwide prediction



Boat = Mr. Dent

Clouds = Danoyse

Game over.

__________________
The only advantage you'll ever have over me is that you can kiss my ass...and I can't.

Lightning Strykez! is offline  
Old 04-14-2013, 11:49 PM   #213
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!
 
psylockolussus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The future, where else would I be?
Posts: 18,034
Default Re: 'Days Of Future Past' BOX-OFFICE worldwide prediction

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
It's really difficult to tell how GotG will do. Disney/Marvel will be fully aware of its marketing difficulties and are no doubt doing a lot of thinking/talking about that.

It always seemed a weird choice for a movie, anyway.
I think its gonna perform just like John Carter. I wish they just made a movie for Ms. Marvel or Dr. Strange instead of this D-list comic book property. Plus I really think the August release date is not gonna make it a big success.

__________________
X-MEN RI5E' MUTANT OF THE MONTH | ICEMAN | PORTRAYED BY SHAWN ASHMORE
"Welcome to mutant high" - X1
"Call me Iceman" - X2
"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline  
Old 04-15-2013, 12:48 AM   #214
def28
Side-Kick
 
def28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,216
Default Re: 'Days Of Future Past' BOX-OFFICE worldwide prediction

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
I wish they just made a movie for Ms. Marvel or Dr. Strange instead of this D-list comic book property.
They will be making those movies too. I can see you personally don't care for them but this film is to branch out the cosmos in the MCU and will serve a purpose. Do you think it's no coincidence they are building up to Thanos and this film has characters directly connected to him? Not to mention Nova and other will be more then likely introduced to spiral into other films. Marvel has plans and are expanding their Universe quite a bit with this film. As a Sci Fi and comic fan I think it's awesome they are giving us a property different form the rest and arent scared to take things cosmic.

They are not D list in the comic world anymore to current comic buyers regardless of what you may think. They matched Avengers and X-Men Marvel book sales for current comics. D list don't do those sales. No one may have knew about them 2 years ago but this film has already boosted their sales and recognition in comics. That's a current win for Marvel in terms of awareness regardless of box office.


Last edited by def28; 04-15-2013 at 12:53 AM.
def28 is offline  
Old 04-15-2013, 01:02 AM   #215
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!
 
psylockolussus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The future, where else would I be?
Posts: 18,034
Default Re: 'Days Of Future Past' BOX-OFFICE worldwide prediction

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
They will be making those movies too. I can see you personally don't care for them but this film is to branch out the cosmos in the MCU and will serve a purpose. Do you think it's no coincidence they are building up to Thanos and this film has characters directly connected to him? Not to mention Nova and other will be more then likely introduced to spiral into other films. Marvel has plans and are expanding their Universe quite a bit with this film. As a Sci Fi and comic fan I think it's awesome they are giving us a property different form the rest and arent scared to take things cosmic.

They are not D list in the comic world anymore to current comic buyers regardless of what you may think. They matched Avengers and X-Men Marvel book sales for current comics. D list don't do those sales. No one may have knew about them 2 years ago but this film has already boosted their sales and recognition in comics. That's a current win for Marvel in terms of awareness regardless of box office.
Its just my opinion about Guardians of the Galaxy and its never gonna change unless their film turned out to be a big success.

And I'm gonna say this one more time, monthly comic book sales has nothing to do with who's A-list or not. Great recognition from the general public and branching out in different mediums like movies, Tv shows, videogames, merchandise, etc makes some one an A-lister or a B-lister.

I'm not bias when it comes to the films of FOX or X-Men films. But seriously a film consisting of Wolverine, Storm, Rogue, Iceman, Magneto, Professor X, Colossus, Shadowcat, Mystique, Beast, Sentinels, etc over Guardians of the Galaxy?! I think most people (casual viewers not people in the internet) would say that the 2014 X-Men film will earn more money at the box-office.

Maybe if this is just a X-Men: Second Class film, I could see it not performing very well at the box-office, but this movie is featuring the original cast of the X-Men series.

__________________
X-MEN RI5E' MUTANT OF THE MONTH | ICEMAN | PORTRAYED BY SHAWN ASHMORE
"Welcome to mutant high" - X1
"Call me Iceman" - X2
"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline  
Old 04-15-2013, 01:20 AM   #216
def28
Side-Kick
 
def28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,216
Default Re: 'Days Of Future Past' BOX-OFFICE worldwide prediction

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post

And I'm gonna say this one more time, monthly comic book sales has nothing to do with who's A-list or not. Great recognition from the general public and branching out in different mediums like movies, Tv shows, videogames, merchandise, etc makes some one an A-lister or a B-lister.
I was talking in the comic world to current comic buyers not outside it or general public. Theres no numbers there for the GA, so who knows how the awareness will be till the film is advertised and is released. I don't really agree with your definition of an A list comic book character in general as many popular characters havnt had films but still have the popularity/marketing. And since there are no stats on that stuff everything comes down to personal opinon on how the public may or may not view things.
Quote:
I'm not bias when it comes to the films of FOX or X-Men films. But seriously a film consisting of Wolverine, Storm, Rogue, Iceman, Magneto, Professor X, Colossus, Shadowcat, Mystique, Beast, Sentinels, etc over Guardians of the Galaxy?! I think most people (casual viewers not people in the internet) would say that the 2014 X-Men film will earn more money at the box-office.

Maybe if this is just a X-Men: Second Class film, I could see it not performing very well at the box-office, but this movie is featuring the original cast of the X-Men series.
Never said GotG will make more money then X-Men. I actually agreed with you on the 700 m prediction . To think GotG won't be pushed by Disney and Marvel as an Avengers companion and that it wont make a difference because they arent as known imo is wrong . People will know it's attached to that franchise and if the movies good, I think it will do quite well.


Last edited by def28; 04-15-2013 at 01:39 AM.
def28 is offline  
Old 04-15-2013, 01:41 AM   #217
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!
 
psylockolussus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The future, where else would I be?
Posts: 18,034
Default Re: 'Days Of Future Past' BOX-OFFICE worldwide prediction

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
I was talking in the comic world to current comic buyers not outside it or general public. Theres no numbers there for the GA, so who knows how the awareness will be till the film is advertised and is released. I don't really agree with your definition of an A list comic character in general as many popular characters havnt had films but still have the popularity/marketing. And since there is no stats on that stuff everything comes down to personal opinon on how the public may or may not view things.

Never said GotG will make more money then X-Men. I actually agreed with you on the 700 m prediction . To think GotG won't be pushed by Disney and Marvel as an Avengers companion and that it wont make a difference because they arent as known imo is wrong . People will know it's attached to that franchise and if the movies good, I think it will do quite well.
And when I said said they are d-list, I was regarding to the general public and not the comic-book community. I don't get why I have to explain that since I kept saying "general public" "casual viewers". And you don't have to see the numbers and statistics to judge who's A-list or D-list, you can easily judge who's big or not when it comes to being known to the public or not. Its not that hard.

And I'm not gonna change about my opinion/prediction about Guardians of the Galaxy. Just because its a product of Marvel/Disney partnership, it doesn't mean in the eyes of the public, its already related to The Avengers or people will just watch it because they are gonna appear in the Avengers. Like some people doesn't know this MCU and this cross-over thing and some people just don't care about it.

And I have to clear another thing, since someone called me bias with FOX, if I'm really bias with FOX, I would have said that DOFP will outgross The Avengers but no I didn't. And I would also say that Deadpool and another film with the cast of First Class cast will make more money and those movies will end up as a big success. But I didn't say those things so how am I bias? People always use the bias card against me just because I'm a big X-Men fan and I think its just wrong. I'm not a blind follower of FOX.

__________________
X-MEN RI5E' MUTANT OF THE MONTH | ICEMAN | PORTRAYED BY SHAWN ASHMORE
"Welcome to mutant high" - X1
"Call me Iceman" - X2
"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline  
Old 04-15-2013, 01:44 AM   #218
def28
Side-Kick
 
def28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,216
Default Re: 'Days Of Future Past' BOX-OFFICE worldwide prediction

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
And when I said said they are d-list, I was regarding to the general public and not the comic-book community. I don't get why I have to explain that since I kept saying "general public" "casual viewers". And you don't have to see the numbers and statistics to judge who's A-list or D-list, you can easily judge who's big or not when it comes to being known to the public or not. Its not that hard.
But it sounded like you were saying Dr Strange and Miss Marvel would already have an above D list status with the general audience. Which wouldnt be the case, they are just as known as GotG to the GA. Thats why I thought you were referring to Comic readers A list terms.

def28 is offline  
Old 04-15-2013, 01:46 AM   #219
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!
 
psylockolussus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The future, where else would I be?
Posts: 18,034
Default Re: 'Days Of Future Past' BOX-OFFICE worldwide prediction

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
But it sounded like you were saying Dr Strange and Miss Marvel would already have an above D list status with the general audience. Which wouldnt be the case they are just as known as GotG to the GA.
Dr. Strange and Ms. Marvel are definitely more well-known than Guardians of the Galaxy thats for sure. But I didn't say they are A-listers, they are probably a C-lister or B-lister. But in my opinion, they are easier to market than Guardians of the Galaxy.

__________________
X-MEN RI5E' MUTANT OF THE MONTH | ICEMAN | PORTRAYED BY SHAWN ASHMORE
"Welcome to mutant high" - X1
"Call me Iceman" - X2
"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
psylockolussus is offline  
Old 04-15-2013, 01:50 AM   #220
def28
Side-Kick
 
def28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,216
Default Re: 'Days Of Future Past' BOX-OFFICE worldwide prediction

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Dr. Strange and Ms. Marvel are definitely more well-known than Guardians of the Galaxy thats for sure. But I didn't say they are A-listers, they are probably a C-lister or B-lister.
I don't know about that. Those characters are known specifically by comic readers . Besides some cartoons and Marvel Ultimate Alliance where would a non comic geek audience member find out about Ant-Man, Dr Strange or Ms MArvel? They have just about the same credibility as Gotg when it comes to the GA who we assume knows nothing about comics unless they are ultra mainstream with blockbuster films.


Last edited by def28; 04-15-2013 at 02:00 AM.
def28 is offline  
Old 04-15-2013, 01:57 AM   #221
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!
 
psylockolussus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The future, where else would I be?
Posts: 18,034
Default Re: 'Days Of Future Past' BOX-OFFICE worldwide prediction

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
I don't know about that. Those characters are known specifically for comics. Besides some cartoons where would a general audience member find out about Dr Strange or Miss MArvel other then comics?
They already appeared in TV shows, cartoons and videogames. So they are definitely more well-known than Guardians of the Galaxy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
I don't know about that. Those characters are known specifically by comic readers . Besides some cartoons and Marvel Ultimate Alliance where would a non comic geek audience member find out about Ant-Man, Dr Strange or Ms MArvel? They have just about the same credibility as Gotg when it comes to the GA who we assume knows nothing about comics unless they are ultra mainstream with blockbuster films.
I consider myself a casual viewer/part of the general audience when it comes to comic-book properties that is not X-Men simply because I don't read their comic-books and I'm not familiar with their own universe. I definitely didn't know what Guardians of the Galaxy are until the news about their movie came up. But before the Iron Man movie was released, I already knew about Ant Man, Ms. Marvel and Dr. Strange and I don't even read their comic-books. I know them because of the videogames, the cartoons and the straight-to-DVD films.

__________________
X-MEN RI5E' MUTANT OF THE MONTH | ICEMAN | PORTRAYED BY SHAWN ASHMORE
"Welcome to mutant high" - X1
"Call me Iceman" - X2
"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/

Last edited by psylockolussus; 04-15-2013 at 02:08 AM.
psylockolussus is offline  
Old 04-15-2013, 02:05 AM   #222
josh8
Side-Kick
 
josh8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,644
Default Re: 'Days Of Future Past' BOX-OFFICE worldwide prediction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
No matter how much you say you listen or whatever, you continue to ignore how these films are actually marketed and what effect branding has on them. Pixar films do no do so consistently well because they are kids films. I've gone into it several times already, I'm not repeating it again. When you actually respond and present a valid argument against the effect Disney marketing and Pixar branding have on their films and supporting the logic that they somehow only do well because they're "kids" films, then I will respect your opinion. Because right now, all you're doing is repeating the same thing over and over in response to me without actually addressing what I've said.
I never said that Pixar films only do well because they are family films. It's their gross patterns that are characteristic of family films. Summer blockbusters always have a final-to-opening multiplier of around 2.7. Family movies usually skew higher than 3. Pixar films open well because of the branding and marketing, and then they continue on as other family movies do... the combination of which results in the effect you are talking about.

I am not arguing against the effect of Disney and Pixar branding. I agree that the effect is very much positive... very positive. I'm just pointing out a flaw in predicting legs for an action movie.

So here's you raw data: Domestic final-to-opening multipliers for all the Pixar movies

1995 - Toy Story - 6.6
1998 - A Bug's Life - 4.9
1999 - Toy Story 2 - 4.3
2001 - Monsters, Inc - 4.6
2003 - Finding Nemo - 5.4
2004 - The Incredibles - 3.7 (oh, an action movie...)
2006 - Cars - 4.1
2007 - Ratatouille - 4.4
2008 - Wall-E - 3.6
2009 - Up - 4.3
2010 - Toy Story 3 - 3.8
2011 - Cars 2 - 2.9
2012 - Brave - 3.6

Note the trend of DECREASING multipliers. Branding has actually made Pixar movies more frontloaded and has had a negative impact on their legs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
I'm not saying the film will have legs based off of the Avengers, I'm saying it will have legs because I believe it will be a hit and the awareness of the film will be far higher than a typical new property due to the Avengers branding, which will help it along. It's all connected.
I already said that I think GotG will do well OVERALL. I just think you don't understand box office patterns when you say branding will give GotG legs. LEGS LEGS LEGS. That was all I was talking about. It probably now sounds like I'm obsessive about the subject, but this is the part where I think you're not listening. Branding doesn't give a movie legs. It gives initial popularity and creates frontloading. Legs on a summer blockbuster are a fluke and only come about when the movie is not only really good, but somehow connects with an audience in a rare way that is usually unexplainable (and not predictable).

Your Pixar example is relevant only to the point of OVERALL GROSSES, but the Avengers branding and heightened awareness is not likely going to make any future Marvel movies (including GotG) perform like family pics. Most likely all of them will perform like summer blockbusters that open big (or real big, from your predicted branding factor) and then have normal fall patterns afterward. There is a miniscule chance that legs will happen, so I guess it's a valid prediction, albeit just as callous a prediction as DOFP doing unheard of gangbusters.

And just for the record, I didn't really have an issue with your opinions on DOFP, just your Marvel/Disney predictions.


Last edited by josh8; 04-15-2013 at 02:56 AM.
josh8 is offline  
Old 04-15-2013, 02:08 AM   #223
def28
Side-Kick
 
def28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,216
Default Re: 'Days Of Future Past' BOX-OFFICE worldwide prediction

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
They already appeared in TV shows, cartoons and videogames. So they are definitely more well-known than Guardians of the Galaxy.
To a mainstream audience?

I'm a bit lost on how you gauge some these characters popularity. I remember arguing the same thing about Deadpool with you and you said he's not A list regardless of him being in a film, tv shows, animated movies, VG appearances and a solo game, cartoons, having more merch then individual X-Men, viral youtube vids and having numerous high selling comics. His popularity compared to those marvel characters mentioned is Uncanny.

def28 is offline  
Old 04-15-2013, 02:12 AM   #224
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!
 
psylockolussus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: The future, where else would I be?
Posts: 18,034
Default Re: 'Days Of Future Past' BOX-OFFICE worldwide prediction

Quote:
Originally Posted by def28 View Post
To a mainstream audience?

I'm a bit lost on how you gauge some these characters popularity. I remember arguing the same thing about Deadpool with you and you said he's not A list regardless of him being in a film, tv shows, animated movies, VG appearances and a solo game, cartoons, having more merch then individual X-Men, viral youtube vids and having numerous high selling comics. His popularity compared to those marvel characters mentioned is Uncanny.
Deadpool is definitely not A-list. Just because he appeared in videogames, cartoons and movies, It doesn't automatically upgrade his star status. But it still helps. Of course if they appeared in a videogame that sold very well, they appeared in a successful movie, they appeared in a well-known cartoon, of course, it will help them to be more popular to the general public.

I feel like everyone for you is A-list just because they appeared in a videogame or sold a lot of comics, but I disagree. For me, the...

A-list = Wolverine, Hulk, Spider-Man, Iron Man (because of the movies), Captain America
B-list = Blackwidow, Nick Fury, Daredevil
C-list = Ms. Marvel, Deadpool, Ant-Man
D-list = Guardians of the Galaxy

And Ms. Marvel, Dr. Strange, Ant-Man are definitely more popular than GOTG to the mainstream audience.

__________________
X-MEN RI5E' MUTANT OF THE MONTH | ICEMAN | PORTRAYED BY SHAWN ASHMORE
"Welcome to mutant high" - X1
"Call me Iceman" - X2
"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/

Last edited by psylockolussus; 04-15-2013 at 02:17 AM.
psylockolussus is offline  
Old 04-15-2013, 02:23 AM   #225
def28
Side-Kick
 
def28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 7,216
Default Re: 'Days Of Future Past' BOX-OFFICE worldwide prediction

I agree with most those but I think your off on a few. Deadpool, Nick Fury and Black Widow are def A list now. Deadpool is everywhere regardless of him not having a solo film. And those other 2 are now house hold names. I highly doubt that the difference in popularity between Ms Marvel, Black Panther, Ant-Man, Dr Strange and GotG would be significant to the GA. Both would rely on being part of the Avengers and the audience knowing nothing about them. IN the comic world over the years no doubt Ms MArvel and crew were more popular then GotG. But hey, I'm arguing against your opinion so theres no winning.


Last edited by def28; 04-15-2013 at 03:01 AM.
def28 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:12 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.