The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

View Poll Results: Biggest disappointment?
Fantastic Four 3 1.68%
HULK 6 3.35%
X3: The Last Stand 22 12.29%
Spider-Man 3 39 21.79%
The Dark Knight Rises 31 17.32%
Batman and Robin 14 7.82%
Captain America: The First Avenger 3 1.68%
Iron Man 2 4 2.23%
Green Lantern 21 11.73%
Superman Returns 19 10.61%
Other 17 9.50%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #101
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Default Re: Most disappointing comic-book movie

I really don't think X3 was that bad. Just...disappointing.

Hawkingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:00 PM   #102
Spuzz
The Spuzziest of Spuzzes

Fantastic Four felt like it was made four years earlier than it was. We had come so far superhero movie wise and that's what we got? It always disappoints me. It's not the worst movie on the list. That's probably Batman & Robin. But FF was the biggest disappointment-wise to me.

Spuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:55 AM   #103
Spider-Aziz
Like a Charm

I'd like to say MIB2, it was a very disappointing movie, and I didn't warm up to it yet
I would also like to say the Green Hornet, Britt is better than a useless wimp, but eh, though it was sort of fun on second view

Biggest disappointment is Son of Mask, what load of crap that thing is. I love the Mask starring Jim Carrey and Cameron Diaz, wanted to see a proper sequel after Stan tossed the mask in the river

Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:21 AM   #104
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Wow TDKR and SM-3 are almost neck in neck.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #105
Spider-Aziz
Like a Charm

TDKR will lose being a close-up

Old 04-14-2013, 09:54 PM   #106
Spuzz
The Spuzziest of Spuzzes

I'm not one to tell others what they can be disappointed by or not and apparently it legitimately did disappoint a lot of folks but to me TDKR seems hugely out of place amongst some of those other titles. Even if TDKR failed as a Batman film to some, it was undeniably a very well-made film which tried to do something different and had integrity, which is more than can be said for many on this list XD

Old 04-14-2013, 10:16 PM   #107
Anno_Domini
Banned User

The OP created this thread and had the idea of putting TDKR on the poll immediately and then all of the TDKR haters piled on and voted for the film as well.

Too bad it doesn't take away how the majority loves the film.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:58 PM   #108
Spuzz
The Spuzziest of Spuzzes

Yeah like I said I don't care who loves/hates TDKR. All I know is I love it

Old 04-14-2013, 11:06 PM   #109
the last son
Side-Kick

Eh, majority don't love it. I don't believe that. I think most found it average to good. I would say about 20 percent loved it. 30 percent thought it was good. 20 percent thought it was average. 20 percent thought it was bad. 10 percent hated it.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:38 PM   #110
Spuzz
The Spuzziest of Spuzzes

Lol you really broke it down.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:49 PM   #111
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by the last son View Post
Eh, majority don't love it. I don't believe that. I think most found it average to good. I would say about 20 percent loved it. 30 percent thought it was good. 20 percent thought it was average. 20 percent thought it was bad. 10 percent hated it.
87% critic rating, 92% audience rating on RT.

78% metascore, 8.4 user score on Metacritic.

8.6 rating score on IMDB.

Nolan's second CBM to be placed on AFI's Top Ten List, and numerous others.

And...the majority didn't love it? Lol.

You gotta love how some view how people didn't enjoy a film when themselves didn't.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:57 PM   #112
Spuzz
The Spuzziest of Spuzzes

Go figure.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:40 AM   #113
Soapy
It's happening again...

Of those listed, Iron Man 2. I really, really liked the first one, but the second one was just awful. Except for Sam Rockwell, he was the only saving grace of that movie.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:23 PM   #114
The Sarge
Greatest DP ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
87% critic rating, 92% audience rating on RT.

78% metascore, 8.4 user score on Metacritic.

8.6 rating score on IMDB.

Nolan's second CBM to be placed on AFI's Top Ten List, and numerous others.

And...the majority didn't love it? Lol.

You gotta love how some view how people didn't enjoy a film when themselves didn't.
Often when one dislikes something, and everyone else loves it, you tend to dislike it even more, so that's something to take into consideration.

The Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #115
Spider-Aziz
Like a Charm

And average counts toward the fresh tomatoes

Old 04-15-2013, 10:07 PM   #116
Hammer!
Side-Kick

My most disappointing CBM by far is TDKR. People in this thread claiming that the people who didn't like it are 'haters' are either clueless are jealous at The Avengers stealing a large portion of TDKR's thunder. Sure the GA seemed to really like the movie, but the film divided the comic book fanbase in a way no CBM has since Batman Returns. I wasn't too enamored with Spidey 2, so Spidey 3 being bad wasn't a shock to me in the least. X3, Fantastic Four, Superman Returns, and Green Lantern shouldn't qualify as being disappointments since everyone saw them being bad a mile away.

BB and TDK are two of my top four comic book films of all-time, so leading up to TDKR I was pretty excited. I knew ahead of time there was an impossibly small chance the film would be TDK's equal...but man. I've enjoyed every film Chris Nolan has directed to some degree but TDKR is definetely the red headed step child of his entire filmography.

TDKR wasn't 'bad' by any means but coming from one of the best filmmakers currently in the business, the film was decisevely average. Nolan dropped the ball IMO by having the story being an end to the franchise. Not only did this cause several aspects of the movie to fly in the face of his first two films, but a lot of what was presented in the film really flew in the face of the Batman mythos in general. I could talk about how disapointing I thought this movie was both cinematically and as an adaption to one of my favorite characters for hours. But I think Ralph Garman pretty much nailed most of the aspects I disliked about this movie in this humorous and constructive podcast with Kevin Smith: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6W_PoL-dXf0.

One thing that wasn't said in the podcast, and something I really haven't seen to much of anywhere else, is the fact that Nolan completely abandons the notion that Bruce Wayne is the 'mask' and Batman is the true identity. Not only was this prevelant in the first two Nolan movies and even blantantly stated by Rachel in the first film, but it has also been one of the character's defining characteristics for years. I understand Nolan set out to create his own version of Batman, but you really can't have that notion in your movies only to abandon it in the final installment just so you can have everything end all nice and tidy; that's lazy writing. Of course that's only one example of things that bugged the living crap out of me, but I've rambled on long enough . I don't have the time right now to go over the problems I had with the final twenty/thirty minutes of the flick; like I said I could talk about this thing for hours.

The most telling notion for me that this ranks #1 on my CBM disappointment list, is that I have no interest in watching BB and TDK anymore because I knew I'll admire them less after seeing TDKR. For me, that's sad because I know somewhere deep amongst TDKR's many flaws is a strong movie.

Hammer! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:15 PM   #117
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sarge View Post
Often when one dislikes something, and everyone else loves it, you tend to dislike it even more, so that's something to take into consideration.
This is true as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer! View Post
My most disappointing CBM by far is TDKR. People in this thread claiming that the people who didn't like it are 'haters' are either clueless are jealous at The Avengers stealing a large portion of TDKR's thunder. Sure the GA seemed to really like the movie, but the film divided the comic book fanbase in a way no CBM has since Batman Returns.
Jealous that an overrated CBM took TDKR's "thunder"? Lol, get real. If anything, what hurt TDKR the most is what happened in the midnight showing. That killed anything positive for TDKR, and that's the honest truth.

And Batman Returns isn't the last CBM to have polarizing views before TDKR...it was Watchmen. But it is pretty awesome that two Batfilms are polarizing with the CB fanbase.

Last edited by Anno_Domini; 04-15-2013 at 10:30 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:53 PM   #118
Hammer!
Side-Kick

Quote:
This is true as well.

Jealous that an overrated CBM took TDKR's "thunder"? Lol, get real. If anything, what hurt TDKR the most is what happened in the midnight showing. That killed anything positive for TDKR, and that's the honest truth.

And Batman Returns isn't the last CBM to have polarizing films before TDKR...it was Watchmen. But it is pretty awesome that two Batfilms are polarizing with the CB fanbase.
So I guess you're just clueless than . Just kidding. I'm not getting into Avengers/TDKR at all but I absolutely feel Avengers definetely took away from the excitement of TDKR. In 2008, audiences wanted to see CBM's with dark, humanistic elements where the hero spent the duration of the film deconstructing himself. Tastes have changed since then and I feel audiences want to see CBM's where heroes are decked in their colorful costumes and interacting with each other. I actually think Warner Brothers understood this while marketing TDKR since most of the advertisements were sure to include Catwoman, Bane, and Bats in the same shots. In either case, the point is moot and really has no bearing on my opinons on either films.

Watchmen definetely had contracters and supporters, but as far as the main DC/Marvel films I haven't seen a fanbase of a particular character this split since Batman Returns. I take offense to being called a 'hater' because I or a substantial number of comic book fans found TDKR to be disappointing especially considering the recent hits in the genre such as The Avengers, First Class, Thor, Cap, etc.

You're right about the constructive feedback from die hard Batfans being awesome. It really shows how passionate the fanbase is without taking the extra step of wishing crucifiction upon the filmmaker who gave them disappointing outings - I'm looking at you Star Wars fans! And even though I had some filmmaking problems with TDKR, most of the complaints from that movie and BR have more to do with the adaptation of the source material rather than the movies themselves.

Old 04-15-2013, 11:28 PM   #119
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

Quote:
I actually think Warner Brothers understood this while marketing TDKR since most of the advertisements were sure to include Catwoman, Bane, and Bats in the same shots. In either case, the point is moot and really has no bearing on my opinons on either films..
A Batman film marketing the villain, one of the most recognizable comic book anti heroes/villains (depending on writing) and Batman means it's trying to be more comic book-y? I mean, I found TDKR the most comic book like myself but marketing Batman, Bane and Catwoman is like how they marketed Batman, Joker and Two Face for TDK. The hero and the two villains/foils. It's not exactly unusual marketing.

Snow Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:08 AM   #120
Hammer!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham's Knight View Post
A Batman film marketing the villain, one of the most recognizable comic book anti heroes/villains (depending on writing) and Batman means it's trying to be more comic book-y? I mean, I found TDKR the most comic book like myself but marketing Batman, Bane and Catwoman is like how they marketed Batman, Joker and Two Face for TDK. The hero and the two villains/foils. It's not exactly unusual marketing.
Think you misunderstood. Could have been just me, but it looked to me that WB made an agressive approach in their advertisements to show scenes/stills of the costumed characters in scenes where they are together and interacting with one another. This is in contrast with TDK and particularly BB. If those films would have came out when TDKR did, I think you would have seen that approach and Two-Face being in the film wouldnt have been shrouded in secrecy and the same with Neeson. Just a subtle observation on the evolution of the series marketing campaign in correlation with the GAs expectations for CB movies since TDK.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:13 AM   #121
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
So I guess you're just clueless than . Just kidding. I'm not getting into Avengers/TDKR at all but I absolutely feel Avengers definetely took away from the excitement of TDKR. In 2008, audiences wanted to see CBM's with dark, humanistic elements where the hero spent the duration of the film deconstructing himself. Tastes have changed since then and I feel audiences want to see CBM's where heroes are decked in their colorful costumes and interacting with each other. I actually think Warner Brothers understood this while marketing TDKR since most of the advertisements were sure to include Catwoman, Bane, and Bats in the same shots. In either case, the point is moot and really has no bearing on my opinons on either films.

Watchmen definetely had contracters and supporters, but as far as the main DC/Marvel films I haven't seen a fanbase of a particular character this split since Batman Returns. I take offense to being called a 'hater' because I or a substantial number of comic book fans found TDKR to be disappointing especially considering the recent hits in the genre such as The Avengers, First Class, Thor, Cap, etc.

You're right about the constructive feedback from die hard Batfans being awesome. It really shows how passionate the fanbase is without taking the extra step of wishing crucifiction upon the filmmaker who gave them disappointing outings - I'm looking at you Star Wars fans! And even though I had some filmmaking problems with TDKR, most of the complaints from that movie and BR have more to do with the adaptation of the source material rather than the movies themselves.
Sure, I'm clueless...you got me on that one, lol.

I don't understand your reason of fans back then wanting only darker material though. Did you happen to forget Iron Man that came out the same year as TDK? Fans had their choices back then of different materials from something darker to lighter as well, and Nolan had his supporters, the MCU had theirs from the beginning, but in no way did Avengers take any excitement from TDKR. Did it feel like more of a CBM? Of course, but Nolan's trilogy never felt like a balls to the wall CBM as any of the MCU films. That's what made Nolan's trilogy so different.

But the biggest thing that kept TDKR down was that tragedy with the theatres. Way more than whatever you want to think Avengers "took".

Last edited by Anno_Domini; 04-16-2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:52 AM   #122
Hammer!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Sure, I'm clueless...you got me on that one, lol.

I don't understand your reason of fans back then wanting only darker material though. Did you happen to forget Iron Man that came out the same year as TDK? Fans had their choices back then of different materials from something darker to lighter as well, and Nolan had his supporters, the MCU had theirs from the beginning, but in no way did Avengers take any excitement from TDKR. Did it feel like more of a CBM? Of course, but Nolan's trilogy never felt like a balls to the wall CBM as any of the MCU films. That's what made Nolan's trilogy so different.

But the biggest thing that kept TDKR down was that tragedy with the theatres. Way more than whatever you want to think Avengers "took".
Just an observation. I thought the same thing back in 08. Iron Man came out to positive reviews but the film was overshadowed that summer, along with every other major blockbuster released around that time, by TDK. I thought it wass pretty clear the GA wanted grounded realism presented in a gritty environment that oozed with despair in their CB flicks.

Now in 2012, I think the GAs taste in the genre have changed. They want colorful, fantastical heroes in all of their comic book glory. This takes nothing away from IM,TDK, or even TASM. They just coincided with the releases of films that transcended the genre. Of course fans of both styles exist, but look at all the films made since 08 akin to TDK. Reboots and similar dark, complex films dominated the cinemas. With the announcements of a FOX Marvel U and DC U, you can clearly see the shift in the SH/SciFi genre.

Im not saying TA diminished the excitement for TDKR, but the GAs tastes and expectations for CB films were much different heading into TDKR than TDK.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #123
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

End of the day, both made a billion dollars. And TDKR did it without the 3D boost. I think there is and was a demand for both kinds of approaches. "Fun" will never get old just like "badass" will never get old. The Avengers was more the former, TDK Trilogy was definitely the latter. Though not mutually exclusively so in either case.

Spider-Man 3 has to be the most disappointing of all time, no contest. I'd say X3, but with Ratner directing I think people sensed it coming. Up until a few days before Spider-Man 3, I was expecting it to be this dark, epic film. The trailers were unbelievable. But the reviews and reactions caused me to temper my expectations at the last minute, so it's not like I walked out gutted and blindsided. I didn't even really hate the movie. But I knew that it most certainly was not the movie that was being advertised, and the one thing everyone was excited for- Venom, was pretty much an afterthought and not even as cool as you would have hoped when he was on screen.

The funny thing about TDKR is that it's the only film on this list that would also have a legitimate place on a "greatest superhero films of all time" list. You really couldn't say that about any of the other films on the list.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158
BatLobsterRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:48 PM   #124
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Just an observation. I thought the same thing back in 08. Iron Man came out to positive reviews but the film was overshadowed that summer, along with every other major blockbuster released around that time, by TDK. I thought it wass pretty clear the GA wanted grounded realism presented in a gritty environment that oozed with despair in their CB flicks.

Now in 2012, I think the GAs taste in the genre have changed. They want colorful, fantastical heroes in all of their comic book glory. This takes nothing away from IM,TDK, or even TASM. They just coincided with the releases of films that transcended the genre. Of course fans of both styles exist, but look at all the films made since 08 akin to TDK. Reboots and similar dark, complex films dominated the cinemas. With the announcements of a FOX Marvel U and DC U, you can clearly see the shift in the SH/SciFi genre.

Im not saying TA diminished the excitement for TDKR, but the GAs tastes and expectations for CB films were much different heading into TDKR than TDK.
I wouldn't say TDK overshadowed IM at all besides the love that Heath received that ended up getting so much steam that he received an Oscar. It's interesting to point out that Iron Man was acknowledged by AFI in 2008 as well, which could be a sign that IM may even be loved by more people since Avengers isn't acknowledged by AFI in 2012(and lately I've grown to actually enjoy IM more as of late).

I would still have to very much disagree with the notion that TA paved the way for something else CB fans latched unto. Nolan still had a HUGE fanbase and that's why the film still made over a billion.

Old 04-16-2013, 12:51 PM   #125
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
The funny thing about TDKR is that it's the only film on this list that would also have a legitimate place on a "greatest superhero films of all time" list. You really couldn't say that about any of the other films on the list.
Oh, of course. AFI has the mark when it comes to bringing up the best superhero films of all time(TDK, TDKR, Iron Man, Spider-Man 2), and plus other films before that time such as Superman II, Superman: The Movie, X2.