Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > The Avengers Sequels

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 09:53 PM   #576
jse
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieMasterCBM View Post
Joss already had his ideas for the second Avengers film before he'd written the first:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/04/...medium=twitter

Hmm
Does Fox own the movie rights to Mephisto (being associated most with the Silver Surfer brand and all)? If so and Thanos is the main villain for TA2, Loki might play the part that Mephisto played in the Infinity Gauntlet comicbook series as Thanos' "advisor." That's probably what Joss Whedon originally had in mind for the first TA. I had read somewhere (someone here probably remembers the source) that Joss wanted to have Thanos as a 2nd antagonist in the first movie but Feige wouldn't let him, and instead Joss just put Thanos in the mid-credits scene as a behind-the-scenes mastermind.

It would be cool to have the Cosmic Beings (Eternity, Death, etc) as part of TA2 but that would probably be too much too early for the GA. It would also be cool for the Adam Warlock to be in GOTG so that he pops up in TA2 as a protagonist but casting news for GOTG reveals an unfortunate lack of Warlock. Nonetheless, I'm excited for Phase 2. Marvel has proved time and again that they know what they're doing so I'm not worried in the least.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:58 PM   #577
Chewy
REDACTED

Sony owns Mephisto. He's been in both Ghost Rider movies

Old 04-16-2013, 10:11 PM   #578
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by jse View Post
Does Fox own the movie rights to Mephisto (being associated most with the Silver Surfer brand and all)? If so and Thanos is the main villain for TA2, Loki might play the part that Mephisto played in the Infinity Gauntlet comicbook series as Thanos' "advisor." That's probably what Joss Whedon originally had in mind for the first TA. I had read somewhere (someone here probably remembers the source) that Joss wanted to have Thanos as a 2nd antagonist in the first movie but Feige wouldn't let him, and instead Joss just put Thanos in the mid-credits scene as a behind-the-scenes mastermind.

It would be cool to have the Cosmic Beings (Eternity, Death, etc) as part of TA2 but that would probably be too much too early for the GA. It would also be cool for the Adam Warlock to be in GOTG so that he pops up in TA2 as a protagonist but casting news for GOTG reveals an unfortunate lack of Warlock. Nonetheless, I'm excited for Phase 2. Marvel has proved time and again that they know what they're doing so I'm not worried in the least.
Got a feeling that "The Other" from the Avengers movie was created to be the cinematic substitute for Mephisto. He's pretty much got that role covered already.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 04-16-2013, 10:50 PM   #579
jse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Sony owns Mephisto. He's been in both Ghost Rider movies
That's right, Sony does own Mephisto. Totally blocked out those GR movies lol.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:55 PM   #580
jse
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Got a feeling that "The Other" from the Avengers movie was created to be the cinematic substitute for Mephisto. He's pretty much got that role covered already.
But i have the feeling though that were there actual interaction between Thanos and Loki, that Loki would be have been playing the part of Mephisto, the advisor / eventual turn-coat / betrayer. Because the Other is really a throw-away character, nobody cares if he betrays Thanos. Loki on the other hand has a name (not to mention the audience has a little bit of empathy for him) and him betraying Thanos and attempting to wrest the Gauntlet from him would be of actual significance compared to a nobody trying to do it.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:58 PM   #581
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
But i have the feeling though that were there actual interaction between Thanos and Loki, that Loki would be have been playing the part of Mephisto, the advisor / eventual turn-coat / betrayer. Because the Other is really a throw-away character, nobody cares if he betrays Thanos. Loki on the other hand has a name (not to mention the audience has a little bit of empathy for him) and him betraying Thanos and attempting to wrest the Gauntlet from him would be of actual significance compared to a nobody trying to do it.
The only interaction Thanos and Loki will be having after the Avengers movie is Thanos hunting Loki down like a dog and punishing him for being such a ****-up at the Battle of New York. Not much chance that Loki will *ever* get on Thanos' "good side" again.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:11 AM   #582
jse
Side-Kick

Quote:
The only interaction Thanos and Loki will be having after the Avengers movie is Thanos hunting Loki down like a dog and punishing him for being such a ****-up at the Battle of New York. Not much chance that Loki will *ever* get on Thanos' "good side" again.
It would be really cool though if that one guy's supposition that circulated on the internet turned out to be true, that Thanos, being a master schemer that thinks 10 moves ahead of his adversaries really did intend to lose the Cube to the Avengers so that he could use it to teleport into Odin's Weapons Vault and snatch the Gauntlet. In that case, he can't really fault Loki, as Loki's loss would have been all part of the plan. However, that wouldn't really explain why Thanos would wait 3 year to enact the rest of his plan. You could also chalk up Thanos' knowledge of Loki's (and Thanos' own defeat) as "memories" of the future. Thanos, having gained omniscience and omnipresence at some point in his life, would some "memories" of a future that he technically hasn't lived through yet.

And Thanos being Thanos, he has a subconscious inferiority complex that makes him think that he is not worthy of his aspirations. Although he does always achieves goals that he sets before him, he also tends to lose the fruits of his labor soon after because he makes sure he surrounds himself with the means to his own downfall. Having Loki as the voice in his ear is not totally out of the question. I'm just saying it's not inconceivable for Thanos to keep Loki around. But yeah this is all conjecture to begin with. I think it's fun to play around with possibilities.

TL;DR: Thanos may have planned for Loki to lose the battle in TA so Thanos can gain a bigger prize (the IG). Thanos also has a known peculiar psychosis that causes him to surround himself with the means to his own defeat, and Loki can easily play a part in that.

Last edited by jse; 04-17-2013 at 12:28 AM. Reason: reworded "rumor" -> "one guy's supposition"
Old 04-17-2013, 03:51 AM   #583
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
The Other isn't a through away character only created for the movie. He was based off of Chthon the Elder God. I'm pretty sure Whedon is using him to play the roll of Mephisto in the MCU.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chthon_(Marvel_Comics)
Quote:
Chthon is a fictional character, a demonic Elder God in the Marvel Comics Universe. His name derives from chthon, the Greek word for "earth" and "earthly", especially pertaining to earth that was not life giving soil, but dark like that of the grave or the underworld. In some instances, Chthon is portrayed as the Marvel equivalent of the primal Devil of some kind predating that of Judeo-Christian teachings, as his creations, the N'Garai, were driven from Earth by the angel Lucifer before his rebellion against God.[1]
Quote:
Chthon
Publication information
Publisher - Marvel Comics
First appearance - (as The Other): Marvel Chillers #1 (October 1975)
(as Chthon): Avengers #185 (July 1979)
Created by Marv Wolfman
Bill Mantlo
Yong Montano

In-story information
Species - Demon
Notable aliases - The Other, Demon of the Darkhold, He who holds the Darkness, The Wolf, Demon among Demons, The Great Shadow
Abilities Mastery of black magic and chaos magic, vast mystical powers, reality warping, immense power within his own pocket universe.
Chthon/The Other's comic pictures

The Other's movie pictures

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 04-17-2013 at 04:00 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:40 AM   #584
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
It would be really cool though if that one guy's supposition that circulated on the internet turned out to be true, that Thanos, being a master schemer that thinks 10 moves ahead of his adversaries really did intend to lose the Cube to the Avengers so that he could use it to teleport into Odin's Weapons Vault and snatch the Gauntlet. In that case, he can't really fault Loki, as Loki's loss would have been all part of the plan. However, that wouldn't really explain why Thanos would wait 3 year to enact the rest of his plan. You could also chalk up Thanos' knowledge of Loki's (and Thanos' own defeat) as "memories" of the future. Thanos, having gained omniscience and omnipresence at some point in his life, would some "memories" of a future that he technically hasn't lived through yet.

And Thanos being Thanos, he has a subconscious inferiority complex that makes him think that he is not worthy of his aspirations. Although he does always achieves goals that he sets before him, he also tends to lose the fruits of his labor soon after because he makes sure he surrounds himself with the means to his own downfall. Having Loki as the voice in his ear is not totally out of the question. I'm just saying it's not inconceivable for Thanos to keep Loki around. But yeah this is all conjecture to begin with. I think it's fun to play around with possibilities.

TL;DR: Thanos may have planned for Loki to lose the battle in TA so Thanos can gain a bigger prize (the IG). Thanos also has a known peculiar psychosis that causes him to surround himself with the means to his own defeat, and Loki can easily play a part in that.
....That "one guy's supposition that circulated on the Internet" that Thanos was deliberately letting Loki lose to maneuver the Cube into place for an infiltration of Odin's Treasury to nab the Gauntlet was me....

Also, agree with Smashlilman's post about Chthon.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:39 PM   #585
HUMANIMAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUMANIMAL View Post
its not only bout avengers but marvel universe and phase 3

http://www.chud.com/132681/excelsior...marvel-update/

Moving on to the rumor of the day, my trusted industry source tells me that Marvel is eyeballing someone that they already have a relationship with for the lead in a confirmed Phase Three projects: Dr. Strange. The name? Actor/screenwriter Justin Theroux. There’s no word on whether or not he is the only name being looked at for the part of Stephen Strange, but I am told that there is a strong interest over at the House of Lee in seeing Seamus O’Grady become the Sorcerer Supreme.

ok no reactions about a possible dr. strange casting on the way?...interesting

MY FANART AND MANIPS
Old 04-17-2013, 09:08 PM   #586
jse
Side-Kick

Quote:
....That "one guy's supposition that circulated on the Internet" that Thanos was deliberately letting Loki lose to maneuver the Cube into place for an infiltration of Odin's Treasury to nab the Gauntlet was me....
that's awesome . i didnt realize that was from an SHH forumer.. coz i think i read it from a personal website/blog, or someone who had read your post and then relayed it on their own website/blog.

Quote:
Also, agree with Smashlilman's post about Chthon.
Guhhh... i hadn't made the connection.. Thanks SLM. Although i think it's unfortunate that they depowered an elder god to become the assistant of a demi-god. Kinda like it bugged me that Thor beat the Destroyer armor so handily. On the bright side, them utilizing the alias "The Other" instead of his more recognizable "Chthon" name would allow Marvel to be free to use the more powerful Chthon as a separate character in all his glory (in a Dr. Strange sequel for example) if they wanted.

I still think though that Whedon may have made Loki play the Mephisto part (or even a Mephisto/Nebula hybrid) in TA1 had he been allowed to make Thanos the main villain in that. But yeah i concede the point.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:42 PM   #587
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
I'm neither here nor there on Justin Theroux as a Marvel Studios fave to play The Good Doctor; it's just that it's wayyyyy too early to have *any* casting rumors, accurate or not, start sticking. Assuming a 2016 release date (and that's *just* an assumption), I wouldn't start looking for legitimate casting news until late next year at the earliest.

Quote:
that's awesome . i didnt realize that was from an SHH forumer.. coz i think i read it from a personal website/blog, or someone who had read your post and then relayed it on their own website/blog.

Guhhh... i hadn't made the connection.. Thanks SLM. Although i think it's unfortunate that they depowered an elder god to become the assistant of a demi-god. Kinda like it bugged me that Thor beat the Destroyer armor so handily. On the bright side, them utilizing the alias "The Other" instead of his more recognizable "Chthon" name would allow Marvel to be free to use the more powerful Chthon as a separate character in all his glory (in a Dr. Strange sequel for example) if they wanted.

I still think though that Whedon may have made Loki play the Mephisto part (or even a Mephisto/Nebula hybrid) in TA1 had he been allowed to make Thanos the main villain in that. But yeah i concede the point.
Yeah, I think "The Other" is a deliberate catch-all name for the studio, so that the character can be used as a recurring substitute for any number of uberpowerful cosmic entities from the MCU. I truly believe "The Other" *is* supposed to play Mephisto's role as majordomo to Thanos; it's just that with this generic name, you don't risk alienating the bible-thumpers in the audience who might otherwise be horrified to realize that Little Junior is watching a movie showing The Devil Himself.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:51 PM   #588
Ant-manic
Side-Kick

Quote:
i'm waiting on Ant-Man and blocking out everything else.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:29 AM   #589
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

It's too early to talk Dr. Strange casting... unless he's actually set to appear in a Thor end credits scene or something...

The Other *is* Thanos' 2nd Banana, it's much easier to give him depth than to change the storyline they've set up between Thanos and Loki, in which Thanos doesn't suffer failure, whether he intended it to happen or not.

Doesn't Cthon relate to the Inhumans in some way?

Old 04-22-2013, 03:52 PM   #590
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

Don Cheadle implies he could pop up in both CATWS and A2:

http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/movi...engers-2/51859

I still believe in heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."
Old 04-22-2013, 04:22 PM   #591
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
I think there will be more to him....

edit: by that I mean I think his role will actually flourish a little bit

Old 04-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #592
KDM1986
Midnight Sons Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieMasterCBM View Post
Don Cheadle implies he could pop up in both CATWS and A2:

http://www.unleashthefanboy.com/movi...engers-2/51859
The more the better if you ask me.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:28 PM   #593
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

So could we get the Collector or Korvac in Avengers 2 instead of Thanos? Of course, both would be connected to Thanos in some way as well as the Guardians. I personally think Korvac can be as big a threat as Thanos. He killed the combined might of the Avengers and Guardians after all.

Nominate your favourite Movie theme of all time for the upcoming tournament: http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=469413
Old 04-23-2013, 12:19 AM   #594
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
So could we get the Collector or Korvac in Avengers 2 instead of Thanos? Of course, both would be connected to Thanos in some way as well as the Guardians. I personally think Korvac can be as big a threat as Thanos. He killed the combined might of the Avengers and Guardians after all.
Quite possibly.
I'm still waiting to hear if they confirm that Ophelia Lovibond is actually playing Carina, The Collector's daughter; the THR article just says she's playing "an aide" to The Collector. If they call her Carina by name, I'd say Korvac is a lot more likely in TA2.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:28 AM   #595
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Quote:
Quite possibly.
I'm still waiting to hear if they confirm that Ophelia Lovibond is actually playing Carina, The Collector's daughter; the THR article just says she's playing "an aide" to The Collector. If they call her Carina by name, I'd say Korvac is a lot more likely in TA2.
Well even if they call her Corina, I'd say it amounts to the same thing. In A:EMH didn't they change the spelling or pronunciation slightly? Corina instead of Carina, or something like that?

And in there, there was no connection to the Collector or being his daughter, at least from the little we saw of her and Korvac. I don't know if they ever planned to bring them back along with the Guardians but got cancelled before they could.

Nominate your favourite Movie theme of all time for the upcoming tournament: http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=469413
Old 04-23-2013, 10:13 AM   #596
Mr. Dent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashlilman View Post
The Other isn't a through away character only created for the movie. He was based off of Chthon the Elder God. I'm pretty sure Whedon is using him to play the roll of Mephisto in the MCU.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chthon_(Marvel_Comics)

Chthon/The Other's comic pictures

The Other's movie pictures
Oh wow, nice find. I didn't know this. Wonder if we'll see him in GotG?

2016 - Captain America 3 | Batman vs. Superman | X-Men: Apocalypse | The Amazing Spider-Man 3 | Doctor Strange
TV - Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | Agent Carter | Daredevil | Luke Cage | Iron Fist | Jessica Jones | The Defenders
TV - Arrow | The Flash | Gotham | Constantine | iZOMBIE
Old 04-25-2013, 12:49 AM   #597
CaptainAwesome
Side-Kick

I'm not sure but does Joss Wheadon confirm Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver at the 2:09 mark of this interview?
http://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-...035428385.html

Old 04-25-2013, 01:22 AM   #598
InternetPeople
Petty... and tiny

I could buy that. Is there another brother-sister act that would make any sense?

Old 04-25-2013, 02:44 AM   #599
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Very interesting...

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:52 AM   #600
Chewy
REDACTED

Don't want to get my hopes up because I doubt he'd let something like that slip so casually, but...

Scarlet Witch

Closed Thread