Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Spider-Man > The Comics

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #376
stillanerd
Side-Kick

Default Re: The SUPERIOR Spider-Man - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infernal View Post
Meh. If it is Gabriel then for me it is a less interesting prospect. I don't think Norman need always be the one true Green Goblin, but Gabriel is too tainted by the story he originated in. He's nothing but a constant reminder of it and I don't think I've seen the character do anything interesting since he was introduced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
What if Octo-Spidey kills him off? He could well do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infernal View Post
Seems like someone managed to find that silver lining.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Gnome View Post
And stillanerd, I really hate Sins Past and all things related, so I hope Slott doesn't bring Gabriel back. Unless of course, as Hobgoblin suggests, it's to kill him off.
Plus, it wouldn't be the first time Dan Slott has brought a character back just to kill that character off, either. Then again, this is just a theory.

And speaking of theories...

Quote:

Here's another idea/theory I had for what could happen in issue #9:

After Doc Ock succeeds in expelliing Ghost Peter, in seems that Peter is now truly gone for good. However, later we see Peter wake up, confused as to his initial surroundings, only to see...Miquel O'Hara.

For it turns out that when Doc Ock expelled Ghost Peter, Ghost Peter ended up getting trapped in Uatu Jackson's "ghost catching device" (as mentioned in Avenging Spider-Man #15.1) or trapped in Doc Ock's neurological analyzer, etc. and was in stasis for nearly 90 years. Then, Alchemex scientists retrieved old Horizon Labs equipment and found the device, and, through the technology of 2099, is able to allow Ghost Peter to communicate but only as a hologram. Thus Peter is now stuck in the future, desperate to get back to the past. This is also how Miquel O'Hara could conceivably show up in Superior Spider-Man as well, as according to Dan Slott.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

You know what I hate? Country Music! I don't know what country it's from, but it sure as hell ain't mine! --Mad TV

Last edited by stillanerd; 04-11-2013 at 02:06 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:23 PM   #377
Nicko-Ray
"On va voir."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Gnome View Post
I don't know, that cover doesn't bother me.

This past issue of Superior was great! I really am enjoying this ride! And I know he has his critics on these boards, but I thought Ramos's art was great last issue (give or take a few odd anatomy problems in one or two panels). Can't wait to see him handle SpOck's battle with the Avengers!

And stillanerd, I really hate Sins Past and all things related, so I hope Slott doesn't bring Gabriel back. Unless of course, as Hobgoblin suggests, it's to kill him off.
I was introduced to Stegman's work through Superior #1, and I love him. I have to agree that this cover doesn't bother me at all either.
I'm not the HUGEST fan of Ramos, but something was different with issue 7. I liked it. Something in the curvature of spidey and his muscles I noticed.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #378
Drummerdude7
AAAAAHHHHHHHH!

I just want them to explain how Peter's mind magically returned to his body...the way I see it now is that Peter's brain is still his brain....just overwritten with Ock's brain patterns. AKA, as said by many. It's not ACTUALLY Ock, but Peter who thinks he's Ock. Meanwhile Peter's real brain patterns are slowly awakening and having further influence on his actions. Unless of course, Slott has something different in mind.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:38 PM   #379
stillanerd
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummerdude7 View Post
I just want them to explain how Peter's mind magically returned to his body...the way I see it now is that Peter's brain is still his brain....just overwritten with Ock's brain patterns. AKA, as said by many. It's not ACTUALLY Ock, but Peter who thinks he's Ock. Meanwhile Peter's real brain patterns are slowly awakening and having further influence on his actions. Unless of course, Slott has something different in mind.
Well one possibility could be based on what one of the moderators over at the Spider-Man Crawlspace came up with, who was also one of the very first people to correctly guess that the Superior Spider-Man would be Doc Ock. Basically, when Peter and Doc Ock's minds were momentarily linked via the gold octobot, which is what allowed Peter to make Doc Ock experience all of his memories as if Doc Ock lived them, it also allowed Peter, instead of dying, to be uploaded back into his body. However, because his body had already deteriorated prior to his "death," only the patterns of the right hemisphere of Peter's brain were uploaded. Some of the clues for this can be:

*Peter mentions in ASM #700 that he lost vision in his right eye. The left hemisphere of the brain is what controls the right-half of the human body.

*All the images he's projected to Doc Ock prior to his death were emotional in nature, and the right hemisphere of the brain is the half associated with emotions. Notice also that, whenever Peter is rummaging around in Doc Ock's memories, it's always tied to whatever emotions Doc Ock is currently feeling at the present time.

*SpOck displays far more traits associated with the left hemisphere, such as scientific reasoning and logic, whereas Ghost Peter displays traits that are more associated with the right brain, such as emotions and holistic thinking.

*Ghost Peter is only able to prevent SpOck from killing Boomerang and Cardiac whenever SpOck tried to use his left hand. The gun that SpOck used to kill Massacre was in his right hand.

*When Ghost Peter tried to regain control of his body and write a message in Superior Spider-Man #7, he kept saying "c'mon right hand" but the art clearly showed he was actually using his left hand. Furthermore, when it comes out as nothing but meaningless scribbles, Peter laments that he doesn't have access to the language centers of his own brain. Language skills reside in the left hemisphere of the brain.

*In the preview for Superior Spider-Man #9, we see Peter surrounded by iconic landmarks such as Midtown High and the Daily Bugle, but the letters on the building are all scrambled. Again, suggesting an inability to access the left hemisphere, again the part of the brain associated with language, but no problem accessing the right hemisphere, which is associated with spatial awareness.

Thus the theory goes that Doc Ock may purge Ghost Peter by shutting down the right hemisphere of the brain, essentially giving himself the equivalent of a hemispherectomy. And, just like in those operations, the brain would be able to compensate for whichever half was lost due to plasticity, but there would also be some side-effects such as minor paralysis in the left side and vision impairment.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

You know what I hate? Country Music! I don't know what country it's from, but it sure as hell ain't mine! --Mad TV

Last edited by stillanerd; 04-13-2013 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:12 PM   #380
Thwip!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
Plus, it wouldn't be the first time Dan Slott has brought a character back just to kill that character off, either. Then again, this is just a theory.

And speaking of theories...

Here's another idea/theory I had for what could happen in issue #9:

After Doc Ock succeeds in expelliing Ghost Peter, in seems that Peter is now truly gone for good. However, later we see Peter wake up, confused as to his initial surroundings, only to see...Miquel O'Hara.

For it turns out that when Doc Ock expelled Ghost Peter, Ghost Peter ended up getting trapped in Uatu Jackson's "ghost catching device" (as mentioned in Avenging Spider-Man #15.1) or trapped in Doc Ock's neurological analyzer, etc. and was in stasis for nearly 90 years. Then, Alchemex scientists retrieved old Horizon Labs equipment and found the device, and, through the technology of 2099, is able to allow Ghost Peter to communicate but only as a hologram. Thus Peter is now stuck in the future, desperate to get back to the past. This is also how Miquel O'Hara could conceivably show up in Superior Spider-Man as well, as according to Dan Slott.
That would be awesome

Old 04-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #381
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Damn.....that is some stellar detective work there.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:41 PM   #382
Donald Thomas
The Black ArachKnight

Aloha
The fact that people can even spend this much time thinking of possible scenarios shows what a success this arc is
Warning the more we publicly speculate the more reason for Slott to do something different.
Spidey rules

Old 04-12-2013, 08:42 PM   #383
THUNDERSTRIKE
SWINEFELD... HAM-STER?

Quote:
Well one possibility could be based on what one of the moderators over at the Spider-Man Crawlspace came up with, who was also one of the very first people to correctly guess that the Superior Spider-Man would be Doc Ock. Basically, when Peter and Doc Ock's minds were momentarily linked via the gold octobot, which is what allowed Peter to make Doc Ock experience all of his memories as if Doc Ock lived them, it also allowed Peter, instead of dying, to be uploaded back into his body. However, because his body had already deteriorated prior to his "death," only the patterns of the right hemisphere of Peter's brain were uploaded. Some of the clues for this can be:

*Peter mentions in ASM #700 that he lost vision in his right eye. The left hemisphere of the brain is what controls the right-half of the human body.

*All the images he's projected to Doc Ock prior to his death were emotional in nature, as the right hemisphere of the brain that is associated with emotions. Notice also that, whenever Peter is rummaging around in Doc Ock's memories, it's always tied to whatever emotions Doc Ock is currently feeling at the present time.

*SpOck displays far more traits associated with the left hemisphere, such as scientific reasoning and logic, whereas Ghost Peter displays traits that are more associated with the right brain, such as emotions and holistic thinking.

*Ghost Peter is only able to prevent SpOck from killing Boomerang and Cardiac whenever SpOck tried to use his left hand. The gun that SpOck used to kill Massacre was in his right hand.

*When Ghost Peter tried to regain control of his body and write a message in Superior Spider-Man #7, he kept saying "c'mon right hand" but the art clearly showed he was actually using his left hand. Furthermore, when it comes out as nothing but meaningless scribbles, Peter laments that he doesn't have access to the language centers of his own brain. Language skills reside in the left hemisphere of the brain.

*In the preview for Superior Spider-Man #9, we see Peter surrounded by iconic landmarks such as Midtown High and the Daily Bugle, but the letters on the building are all scrambled. Again, suggesting an inability to access the left hemisphere, again the part of the brain associated with language, but no problem accessing the right hemisphere, which is associated with spatial awareness.

Thus the theory goes that Doc Ock may purge Ghost Peter by shutting down the right hemisphere of the brain, essentially giving himself the equivalent of a hemispherectomy. And, just like in those operations, the brain would be able to compensate for whichever half was lost due to plasticity, but there would also be some side-effects such as minor paralysis in the left side and vision impairment.

wow, that is some extremely well-thought out **** that makes scientifically logical sense...

if this actually IS what Slott has thought up and this CrawlSpace mod worked it all out correctly, then damns, I've gotta give MAJOR props to Slott for dreaming it up AND to the mod for deducing it all...

IF that's the case... we shall see...

just gotta wait and see how it all plays out...

Always being offensive and ON the offensive, and always defiant, as well...
just an absolutely rude and crude dude in every way possible...
I'm just content to be a malcontent.

Living up to your expectations of me...
and they're all bad.

Despicable ME... I yams what I yams.
Old 04-13-2013, 01:21 AM   #384
Will Nolte
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by THUNDERSTRIKE View Post
is it ME, or is this a REALLY badly done cover by Stegman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VenomSpawn View Post
The glare thing is probably because the original version of the cover was a lot more vibrant

Anyone else notice that they reversed the image for the final cover art and Stegman's signature looks different?

Old 04-13-2013, 10:04 AM   #385
THUNDERSTRIKE
SWINEFELD... HAM-STER?

wow, didn't notice that, but yeah, you're right...

and it almost doesn't LOOK like Steg's sig...

STILL don't like the cover though...

and they're all bad.

Old 04-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #386
Spider-Gnome
The Arach-Gnome

Quote:
Well one possibility could be based on what one of the moderators over at the Spider-Man Crawlspace came up with, who was also one of the very first people to correctly guess that the Superior Spider-Man would be Doc Ock. Basically, when Peter and Doc Ock's minds were momentarily linked via the gold octobot, which is what allowed Peter to make Doc Ock experience all of his memories as if Doc Ock lived them, it also allowed Peter, instead of dying, to be uploaded back into his body. However, because his body had already deteriorated prior to his "death," only the patterns of the right hemisphere of Peter's brain were uploaded. Some of the clues for this can be...
Damn, stillanerd, I gotta stop reading your posts! They sound like spoilers usually.

I think the whole "soul molecule" and "ghost catcher" will come into play, but, man, that theory makes A LOT of sense, particularly when we were complaining Ramos drew the wrong hand when Pete was talking!

Quote:
wow, that is some extremely well-thought out **** that makes scientifically logical sense...

if this actually IS what Slott has thought up and this CrawlSpace mod worked it all out correctly, then damns, I've gotta give MAJOR props to Slott for dreaming it up AND to the mod for deducing it all...

IF that's the case... we shall see...

just gotta wait and see how it all plays out...
I know you've been reading longer than me (I jumped on in 1973), but I dare say Dan is getting to be in the upper echelon of Spidey writers! Like you said, we don't know if this is how it will play out, but it does sound like the intricate plotting he comes up with!

And yes, props to the mod for coming up with that!

The Spectacular Spider-Man:
The BEST adaptation of the Spider-Man comics in any form

BRING BACK SPIDEY!!!!
Marvel OR Bust!!!!
Old 04-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #387
Wadaltmon
S.P.I.D.E.R.-Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_reilly_s_s View Post
Well, Marvel certainly messed up....
I was reading the TPB July solicits and cam across this:

Seems like a lot is gonna happen in the next 2-3 issues!
Centuries? Well, Spidey's only been around for 50 years, so he doesn't mean a real century. 2099 hasn't been seen yet anyway, and that's less than 2 centuries, so it couldn't be plural... Noir is less than 100 years past.... the only thing I can think of is Spidey 1602

Old 04-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #388
Thwip!
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wadaltmon View Post
Centuries? Well, Spidey's only been around for 50 years, so he doesn't mean a real century. 2099 hasn't been seen yet anyway, and that's less than 2 centuries, so it couldn't be plural... Noir is less than 100 years past.... the only thing I can think of is Spidey 1602
and with Gaiman back at Marvel....

Old 04-14-2013, 03:51 AM   #389
Donald Thomas
The Black ArachKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Nolte View Post
Anyone else notice that they reversed the image for the final cover art and Stegman's signature looks different?
Aloha,
You're right they did reverse the picture.The hole in his shirt is on the opposite side. But has anyone noticed that this is a VARIANT cover?If the cover is meant to show us that SpOck is going crazy, it works for me.
Spidey rules

Old 04-14-2013, 12:40 PM   #390
Hobgoblin
Veritas veritatum

While I'm not crazy about the way that Spidey's mask looks, I do really like the image of the furious Peter and Ock's shadow. I cant blame the artist for distorting the mask, as it out of necessity for what he was doing.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:04 PM   #391
Iowa
Newbie First Class

So what happens with Superior Spider-Man #10 , does it revert back to Amazing Spider-man ?

Old 04-16-2013, 09:50 PM   #392
VenomSpawn
WAAAAAAAAA

Nope, there are 14 confirmed issues of Superior Spider-Man so far and he's getting a new ongoing that replaces Avenging Spider-Man in July and a new costume. He's not going anywhere.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:17 AM   #393
Doc Ock
Merry Christmas SHH!

Avenging Spider-Man is ending?

Old 04-17-2013, 12:21 AM   #394
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
Avenging Spider-Man is ending?
It's being relaunched as Superior Spider-Man Team Up or something to that effect.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:51 AM   #395
Doc Ock
Merry Christmas SHH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by runawayboulder View Post
It's being relaunched as Superior Spider-Man Team Up or something to that effect.
Awww! Thats one of my favorite books!

Old 04-17-2013, 01:37 AM   #396
VenomSpawn
WAAAAAAAAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Ock View Post
Awww! Thats one of my favorite books!
It has the same creative team, it's just being relaunched. Yost and Checchetto are staying.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:39 AM   #397
Donald Thomas
The Black ArachKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummerdude7 View Post
Aloha,
Early on I compared this to Fringe where the conscious mind of William Bell went into the body of Olivia Dunham. For a period of time Bell was in complete control but it was explained that Olivia's consciousness was there but "asleep". For a brief period, Olivia's consciousness took back control but, if Bell's consciousness was not removed from her within a certain time period, his consciousness would take over completely.Doc Ock got the brain patterns of Peter from the helmet.As brilliant as he may be and think he is, brain mapping is not an exact science. Ock very well could have only gotten half the information(right brain hemisphere)But that was more than enough to make his plan work.I see Doc Ock as the greatest Identity thief that ever lived.I keep going back to Dr. Strange because I see Peter at this time as in an "ectoplasmic state". Peter is out of his body but he is aware of his body and what it is doing.He's showing an ability to influence his body both psychologically and physically.At the same time, the mind of Otto Octavius has been implanted in the body of Peter Parker.But also based upon that imperfect brain mapping.With the memories of Peter mixed in with his own, Otto is going to lose what little sanity he had over the long haul.
Spidey rules

Old 04-17-2013, 09:31 AM   #398
THUNDERSTRIKE
SWINEFELD... HAM-STER?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Thomas View Post
Aloha,
Early on I compared this to Fringe where the conscious mind of William Bell went into the body of Olivia Dunham. For a period of time Bell was in complete control but it was explained that Olivia's consciousness was there but "asleep". For a brief period, Olivia's consciousness took back control but, if Bell's consciousness was not removed from her within a certain time period, his consciousness would take over completely.Doc Ock got the brain patterns of Peter from the helmet.As brilliant as he may be and think he is, brain mapping is not an exact science. Ock very well could have only gotten half the information(right brain hemisphere)But that was more than enough to make his plan work.I see Doc Ock as the greatest Identity thief that ever lived.I keep going back to Dr. Strange because I see Peter at this time as in an "ectoplasmic state". Peter is out of his body but he is aware of his body and what it is doing.He's showing an ability to influence his body both psychologically and physically.At the same time, the mind of Otto Octavius has been implanted in the body of Peter Parker.But also based upon that imperfect brain mapping.With the memories of Peter mixed in with his own, Otto is going to lose what little sanity he had over the long haul.
Spidey rules
since the memories are mixed, won't this affect PETER'S consciousness in a negative way, thereby making it much more difficult to regain complete control?...

seems like trying to get back is going to be that much further out of his reach and even harder to achieve...

I can just see the possible storyline tag now... "No Way Back"

and they're all bad.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:55 PM   #399
Donald Thomas
The Black ArachKnight

Quote:
since the memories are mixed, won't this affect PETER'S consciousness in a negative way, thereby making it much more difficult to regain complete control?...

seems like trying to get back is going to be that much further out of his reach and even harder to achieve...

I can just see the possible storyline tag now... "No Way Back"
Aloha
Yes,it's going to be a very bumpy ride!
I still think it''s going to take the illuminati to sort this whole thing out .
They did the mind wipe,they can do the mind untangled.
Spidey rules

Old 04-17-2013, 04:03 PM   #400
Themanofbat
Never Mind the Buttocks...

I wonder if they remember doing the mindwipe???

I know Strange has memories... but Tony acts like he knows nothing at all...

Read The Amazing Spider-Man...100% pure Spider-Man Goodness...

"It's disturbing when young people believe right-wing political hype. It's like rock n' roll never happened."

Play Spider-Man Trivia here...
Closed Thread