The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 04-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #101
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Default Re: Official Man of Steel Trailer(s) Thread - Part 6

I don't know if anyone's brought this up...and I'm kinda' hoping that it is the case...

...but when Jor-El/Lara say "He'll be an outcast....they'll kill him." "He'll be a God to them.." Unlike the Brando 'destiny' part of STM...would they be talking about Krypton instead? It's been pointed out that Kal-El's birth is special in that it is natural and not engineered. So it's sort of like Children Of Men in terms of being a miracle that he was born. So the implication is how it will change things on Krypton...that Krypton will see him as different or God-like or a source of fear. And that could be what starts up a huge 'holy war' and leads to his escaping, Zod's obsessive search for him, and ultimately the destruction of Krypton.

I'd also be kind of an interesting reversal in that he escapes a place where he has some sort of destiny or symbolism...a source of awe and/or fear and jealousy and the desire to possess his power...to a place where he could 'start from scratch'....where the 'imagine a child...' part of Jor-El's speech really means something, as opposed to the almost religious radicalism that would meet his existence on Krypton.

I hope that's the case, and it also puts a lot of those 'STM-like' points on Krypton in a whole new light.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)

Last edited by KalMart; 04-17-2013 at 12:42 PM.
KalMart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #102
batman1115
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
I don't know if anyone's brought this up...and I'm kinda' hoping that it is eth case...

...but when Jor-El/Lara say "He'll be an outcast....they'll kill him." "He'll be a God to them.." Unlike the Brando 'destiny' part of STM...would they be talking about Krypton instead? It's been pointed out that Kal-El's birth is special in that it is natural and not engineered. So it's sort of like Children Of Men in terms of being a miracle that he was born. So the implication is how it will change things on Krypton...that Krypton will see him as different or God-like or a source of fear. And that could be what starts up a huge 'holy war' and leads to his escaping, Zod's obsessed search for him, and ultimately the destruction of Krypton.

I hope that's the case, and it also puts a lot of those 'STM-like' points on Krypton in a whole new light.

yeah, i would agree, and that would be very cool.

batman1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 12:59 PM   #103
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

I honestly thing that really would put a cool spin on this whole thing....

...when you think of Krypton, were talking a world much more 'advanced' than ours...but that may not necessarily be a good thing. As technology and science has grown, so has religious (for lack of a better term) radicalism as a 'yin to that yang', so to speak. Zod could very well be a reflection of history's greatest radical zealots using a twisted sense of 'faith' or ideology to attain power. It only stands to reason that in a society where natural birth doesn't happen, this would be seen as a sign or miracle...and just the sort of thing radical zealots would want to capitalize on. Or...Zod is threatened by the power and influence implied by the miracle birth, rendering his ideology obsolete.....so he seeks to eliminate it by killing Kal-El, which he may portray as an unholy abomination.

Hence..."You think your son is safe...?" "I will find him!", and essentially a Kryptonian Jihad launched by Zod.

We see that giant mecha 'Kraken' thing....that could be something that Zod launches as a weapon, but it goes out of control and ends up destroying the whole planet. So he escapes, or is protected by being caught and banished to the Phantom Zone, and eventually follows Kal-El to Earth to finish what he set out to do on Krypton: either possess his as an ally or kill him as a threat to their power.

O the other hand, I kinda' hope it isn't true because I just ruined the surprise.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)

Last edited by KalMart; 04-17-2013 at 04:48 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:01 PM   #104
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Quote:
And then saw all the chaos around him..."...crap..."
Ha ha

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #105
jrmtz543
Newbie First Class

I find the information given in the EW article and the new trailer quite interesting. One aspect of the Superman mythos that has never worked well for me is the idea that an advanced alien race would be unable to escape their planet’s destruction or accept Jor-El's findings about Krypton's fate. I don’t care for the comics notion that space travel was forbidden or their genetic makeup was altered to prevent leaving Krypton, and Kal-El is the only one who lacks this genetic trait, etc.

What if Goyer has figured a way around this? Perhaps Jor-El sends his son to earth because his birth is unique / forbidden (the natural birth rather than an engineered one). Zod plans to find Kal-El, and Krypton explodes because of some unrelated war or other catastrophe. The planet is still destroyed, and it makes sense that Kal-El, Zod, and Faora are the only remaining Kryptonians.

Also, there seems to be a strong Birthright influence, with Lois searching for a superhuman who does good deeds and the symbol standing for hope.

Last edited by jrmtz543; 04-17-2013 at 01:12 PM.
jrmtz543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #106
Nemeres
Easy, miss. I've got you.

The trailer in Latin American Spanish, for the curious ones. I think Superman's voice sounds amazing, I was fearing they were gonna get the same one from SR, which sounded a bit too "old and mature" for my taste.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

TUUUU-TUUUU-TUUUUUUUUUUU...
Nemeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #107
TruerToTheCore
Banned User

I smell a MELODRAMATIC EMO SNOOZEFEST is coming!!!

TruerToTheCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:28 PM   #108
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemeres View Post
The trailer in Latin American Spanish, for the curious ones. I think Superman's voice sounds amazing, I was fearing they were gonna get the same one from SR, which sounded a bit too "old and mature" for my taste.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Damn, listening to dubbed things is something I really cannot stand... Even when I hear things dubbed in my own language. I actually lol'ed when he said "Perdon"... Although I gotta say, Lois sounds great.

"Films are worth seeing period, even the bad ones." - Blue Sugar
Norek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:29 PM   #109
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruerToTheCore View Post
I smell a MELODRAMATIC EMO SNOOZEFEST is coming!!!
You're already here.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #110
Astrodust
Side-Kick

lol Kalmart

Astrodust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:41 PM   #111
Astrodust
Side-Kick

You what no one seems to be taking notice to. Cavill's great American accent. Or perhaps they have and I'm just too lazy to read through all the new pages.

Astrodust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:51 PM   #112
geetard
The Amazon Smile

Quote:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Traditional French dub:
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

geetard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:41 PM   #113
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy

After viewing the trailer at LEAST 20 times, I need someone to pinch me because I STILL feel like I'm dreaming. The things I saw in this trailer have been a long time coming. I was born in 1982 so my first memories of the Superman films start around when I was 4. I remember my brother had a photo of Chris Reeve at the Fortress of Solitude and because I didn't know any better at the time, I thought that was a photo of the REAL Superman. In my mind he wasn't a fictional character, he was someone in our world that was doing these amazing things. So I can't describe to you how special those films are to me...yes, even the 3rd and 4th ones.

Fast forward to 2005 when I'm all growed up and I know a little more about the world. Superman Returns is being made and I was elated. I was so excited to see a Superman film with modern effects!! We all know how that turned out though. As much as I loved that Singer was utilizing the Superman that Donner had created, Singer's Superman was pretty much as bastardization of the ideals that Superman represents. I tried to like it and I genuinely enjoyed seeing it in theaters, however it's painful to watch now.

I have been following the production of this film ever since it was a planned sequel to Superman Returns. I may not know all the details but I've heard the most juicy bits whenever it happened. I'm usually pretty good at determining the quality of a film by following the production...but this is a whole new beast. Maybe it's because I'm so bitter about SR or because there's so much WRONG with the world that I find it almost impossible to expect things to happen as they should. However, I'm so damn greatful and ecstatic that my expectations have been FAR surpassed....and this is just a friggin' trailer.

The trailer, alone, had EVERYTHING I've ever wanted to see in a post-2000 Superman film. There are very few trailers that I enjoy every second but this trailer does that and more. A 3 minutes trailer, gave me more joy, as a life long Superman fan who idolizes that ideals that he stands for than all of Superman Returns. It takes that bitter taste that I had and replaces it with a blast of the most delicious, mouth-watering sensation one can experience........and again, this is just a trailer.

I cherish the time I have and I often love to stop, slow down and appreciate what little time on this Earth we have........but these next 2 months can't pass by soon enough.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:47 PM   #114
JAKŪ
Upstart

As much as I love what I'm seeing, and I believe the movie will be good and is exactly what Superman needed, this film still doesn't appear to come close to my personal interpretation of the character, and I doubt any adaptation ever will. I believe only a handful of people truly 'get' Superman.

However, I am a film fan as well as a comic book fan, so I can separate my comic fanboyism from my film fanboyism. Man of Steel looks like it hits all the right notes for a summer blockbuster that breaks the mould. This could very well be DC's Iron Man.

JAKŪ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #115
Tim_Riggins
Dillon Panthers

This makes me so pleased for Snyder, loads of people were ****t ing all over him when he was announced to be helming the movie, and according to all the buzz and this wonderful trailer, he's going to show the haters.

I still disagree when some say there's no heart in his movies, there is in Watchmen, the last scene in 300 is IMO beautiful in this aspect "My queen", there are often little moments like these in his movies. But here, with a good script, MOS definitely looks like it could be his own little 'masterpiece'.

By the way:

@JAK: your post is really really arrogant and condescending. A handful of people truly get Supes? Like you're some kind of unique person in your understand of the character. People will always disagree with adaptations and the interpretations, but in the end, it doesnt matter.

Last edited by Tim_Riggins; 04-17-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Tim_Riggins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:00 PM   #116
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

The best dub ever is the Spanish dub on the Dark Knight, watch the scene where the Joker tells his how i got these scars story to Michael Jai White.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:02 PM   #117
Stringer
CHAMPS AGAIN!

Quote:
I don't know if anyone's brought this up...and I'm kinda' hoping that it is the case...

...but when Jor-El/Lara say "He'll be an outcast....they'll kill him." "He'll be a God to them.." Unlike the Brando 'destiny' part of STM...would they be talking about Krypton instead? It's been pointed out that Kal-El's birth is special in that it is natural and not engineered. So it's sort of like Children Of Men in terms of being a miracle that he was born. So the implication is how it will change things on Krypton...that Krypton will see him as different or God-like or a source of fear. And that could be what starts up a huge 'holy war' and leads to his escaping, Zod's obsessive search for him, and ultimately the destruction of Krypton.

I'd also be kind of an interesting reversal in that he escapes a place where he has some sort of destiny or symbolism...a source of awe and/or fear and jealousy and the desire to possess his power...to a place where he could 'start from scratch'....where the 'imagine a child...' part of Jor-El's speech really means something, as opposed to the almost religious radicalism that would meet his existence on Krypton.

That's more or less what I'm hoping for with Krypton being destroyed by civil war.

"We dem lil bald headed b****es on the chessboard"- Bodie Broadus
Stringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #118
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Quote:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
The guy who dubs Superman's voice sounds a lot like Henry Cavill.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:05 PM   #119
JAKŪ
Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_Riggins View Post
@JAK: your post is really really arrogant and condescending. A handful of people truly get Supes? Like you're some kind of unique person in your understand of the character. People will always disagree with adaptations and the interpretations, but in the end, it doesnt matter.
I wasn't intending to be condescending. I'm not trying to suggest that I'm part of some special elite. I'm just saying that my interpretation of the character is very specific and only a few writers match up to it. I'm not suggesting that MOS gets the character wrong. I was simply following up from DorkyFresh's post about how this film lives up to his interpretation of Superman.

Please, don't take my post as a criticism.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:09 PM   #120
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
That's more or less what I'm hoping for with Krypton being destroyed by civil war.
Or as retaliation for banishing Zod to the Phantom Zone. Like he's kept that super-alien-kraken as a secret weapon in case he's in a jam....and it ended up working too well.

Makes him out to be quite the parallel for a radical fundamentalist zealot ready to unleash weapons of mass destruction upon a world of infidels.

Last edited by KalMart; 04-17-2013 at 04:13 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #121
DorkyFresh
Sum Dum Goy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAKŪ View Post
I believe only a handful of people truly 'get' Superman.
I wholeheartedly disagree. Yes, there are many people who have a skewed vision of what Superman is supposed to be but I sincerely think that they've got just about EVERYTHING right with this film. David Goyer, while not a particular good director, GETS what makes a comic script translate well to the big screen. He understands Batman and Superman entirely and knows what parts of there original journeys serve a 2 hour movie. Christopher Nolan, while being a director whose movies generally have a darker edge, understands the psychology of a character. He is very cerebral and always ads layers to any script that he is involved with. Snyder, while not being a particular deep director, is undeniably one of the most gifted directors when it comes to visuals and always casts his movies well. And Zimmer, while many feel works with mostly generic compositions, works from the source and builds upon what makes that source so special.

If there are only a handful of people that 'get' Superman, 4 of those 5 fingers are attached to this film...and I honestly have to question anyone who feels, after seeing this trailer, that Nolan/Snyder haven't nailed the characterization of this iconic character. This is no Singerman......this is undeniably Superman.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:15 PM   #122
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

If only a 'handful of people' really get Superman....then there's something pretty wrong with Superman as a concept or a delivery, because he should have a pretty darn wide appeal and resonance.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:15 PM   #123
RachelDawes
Gotham Attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkyFresh View Post
I wholeheartedly disagree. Yes, there are many people who have a skewed vision of what Superman is supposed to be but I sincerely think that they've got just about EVERYTHING right with this film. David Goyer, while not a particular good director, GETS what makes a comic script translate well to the big screen. He understands Batman and Superman entirely and knows what parts of there original journeys serve a 2 hour movie. Christopher Nolan, while being a director whose movies generally have a darker edge, understands the psychology of a character. He is very cerebral and always ads layers to any script that he is involved with. Snyder, while not being a particular deep director, is undeniably one of the most gifted directors when it comes to visuals and always casts his movies well. And Zimmer, while many feel works with mostly generic compositions, works from the source and builds upon what makes that source so special.

If there are only a handful of people that 'get' Superman, 4 of those 5 fingers are attached to this film...and I honestly have to question anyone who feels, after seeing this trailer, that Nolan/Snyder haven't nailed the characterization of this iconic character. This is no Singerman......this is undeniably Superman.
I agree, and will add that Henry seems to get him too. Anyone who doubts should rewatch that interrogation room clip. Cavill's shy, polite, good-natured, and charming smile just screams Superman.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:22 PM   #124
JAKŪ
Upstart

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkyFresh View Post

The characterisation does indeed seem to be spot on. That I will not deny. And yes, they get the story and meaning of the character right (again, judging by the trailer, the film has yet to be released). As a Superman adaptation, this is definitely shaping up to be worthy, surpassing even the original Superman: The Movie.

I think what it really boils down to, for me personally, is that my specific view of how Superman is meant to be is tied to a very old-school style of storytelling, which isn't really fashionable at the moment. Man of Steel is very modern. Which is it's main strength, I suppose. My version of Superman works best in stories like All Star Superman, Whatever Happened To The Man of Tomorrow and For The Man Who Has Everything. Silver Age stuff.

Which is why the reason I support this movie is because it appears to be a modern update which sticks to what the character is about. Which is commendable. But at the same time, I don't want Superman to be modernised. Make sense?

Old 04-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #125
JAKŪ
Upstart

Quote:
If only a 'handful of people' really get Superman....then there's something pretty wrong with Superman as a concept or a delivery, because he should have a pretty darn wide appeal and resonance.
Then perhaps I should rephrase it as that only a handful of people continue to write Superman as I personally believe he should be written.

I'd go more in depth about my views, but I don't want to derail the thread. It belongs in the Open Discussion thread, to be honest.