The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

View Poll Results: Do you think the Republican Party needs to evolve and become more inclusive?
Yes 48 84.21%
No 6 10.53%
I'm not sure 3 5.26%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2013, 01:35 AM   #301
SV Fan
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,377
Default Re: Discussion: The REPUBLICAN Party XV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
It's funny how both parties forget the place from whence they came.....
I always thought Republicans knew what a pile of BS the whole we are the party of Lincoln so therefore we are black friendly thing was(and somehow that is significant for today's party) and it was just a talking point, but the Rand Paul speech at Howard makes me think twice.

If I was the Republicans and wanted to gain some black votes I would just fully admit hey listen I know the past 50 years our party hasn't been the greatest when it comes to black issues but let's be honest the Democrats just give you nice lip service for the most part but really don't do anything to make your lives better, they basically more then happy to do as little as possible because they know you an easy voting block. Now here is my proposition how our policies potentially could benefit you all

SV Fan is offline  
Old 04-13-2013, 01:49 AM   #302
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,384
Default Re: Discussion: The REPUBLICAN Party XV

So you're saying that they should do their job?

Is there room for such insanity in today's party!?

wiegeabo is offline  
Old 04-13-2013, 11:31 AM   #303
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 58,783
Default Re: Discussion: The REPUBLICAN Party XV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Fan View Post
I always thought Republicans knew what a pile of BS the whole we are the party of Lincoln so therefore we are black friendly thing was(and somehow that is significant for today's party) and it was just a talking point, but the Rand Paul speech at Howard makes me think twice.

If I was the Republicans and wanted to gain some black votes I would just fully admit hey listen I know the past 50 years our party hasn't been the greatest when it comes to black issues but let's be honest the Democrats just give you nice lip service for the most part but really don't do anything to make your lives better, they basically more then happy to do as little as possible because they know you an easy voting block. Now here is my proposition how our policies potentially could benefit you all

Republicans like to remember and Democrats like to forget their past, neither party is what they once were.....meh, politics.

Republican policies ignore blacks, Democrat policies keep them poor and needy...neither of them really impress me too much.

__________________

"HATE, It has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet."
Maya Angelou ...

Kelly is offline  
Old 04-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #304
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick
 
Thundercrack85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 14,668
Default Re: Discussion: The REPUBLICAN Party XV

And you say I make generalizations.

Not that I'm saying I don't.

Thundercrack85 is offline  
Old 04-14-2013, 10:23 AM   #305
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 58,783
Default Re: Discussion: The REPUBLICAN Party XV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
And you say I make generalizations.

Not that I'm saying I don't.
How is that a generalization...

Republicans don't ignore blacks, and the Democratic policies in the past 5 years have not grown the black unemployment rate, and added millions, mostly black families to the food stamp roll?????

http://www.mediaite.com/online/ny-ti...ocrats-won-it/
http://townhall.com/columnists/donal...206/page/full/

That hasn't happened? The facts show that it has....

__________________

"HATE, It has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet."
Maya Angelou ...


Last edited by Kelly; 04-14-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Kelly is offline  
Old 04-14-2013, 08:05 PM   #306
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick
 
Thundercrack85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 14,668
Default Re: Discussion: The REPUBLICAN Party XV

Are you familiar with the Latin phrase post hoc, ergo propter hoc?

You're starting to sound like Rush Limbaugh.

Who do you think helps them more? The people who fight for entitlements, or those against them?

If you were a socially disadvantaged black person (or white, or Latino for that matter), who would you prefer? The guys who want to help you with your heating bill, and food bills or the social darwinists who don't give a damn?

Thundercrack85 is offline  
Old 04-14-2013, 08:33 PM   #307
SV Fan
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,377
Default Re: Discussion: The REPUBLICAN Party XV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
If you were a socially disadvantaged black person (or white, or Latino for that matter), who would you prefer? The guys who want to help you with your heating bill, and food bills or the social darwinists who don't give a damn?
I agree, I am fairly certain a poor person, black, hispanic or otherwise will look at Obamacare as fighting for their interests.

Ironically funny the Republicans thought calling the health Act "Obamacare" is a negative, when it has the 2 words "Obama" and "care" in it and I am guessing in may cases that is seen as a good thing

SV Fan is offline  
Old 04-14-2013, 11:20 PM   #308
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 58,783
Default Re: Discussion: The REPUBLICAN Party XV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Fan View Post
I agree, I am fairly certain a poor person, black, hispanic or otherwise will look at Obamacare as fighting for their interests.

Ironically funny the Republicans thought calling the health Act "Obamacare" is a negative, when it has the 2 words "Obama" and "care" in it and I am guessing in may cases that is seen as a good thing
Until they see what it costs....and the fact that it is partly being paid for by something that was ALREADY helping them with health care.....

I call it Obamacare because it is ALL HIS, good or bad....all his.

__________________

"HATE, It has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet."
Maya Angelou ...

Kelly is offline  
Old 04-15-2013, 10:15 AM   #309
The Overlord
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 7,397
Default Re: Discussion: The REPUBLICAN Party XV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
Until they see what it costs....and the fact that it is partly being paid for by something that was ALREADY helping them with health care.....

I call it Obamacare because it is ALL HIS, good or bad....all his.
But the thing is, if you are going to get rid of these entitlements, you need to find a replacement for the poor people who do rely them. Otherwise, these people will be unhappy and will vote against the people who got rid these entitlements.

I don't think a lot of people want to be on welfare, I think a lot of people feel don't have much of a choice. Only a few truly lazy and unimaginative people would want to be on welfare, everyone else would just want it be a stop gap measure. If you gave them a good job, they feel better about themselves and be more productive.

The GOP claims to be a party upward mobility, caring more about the lower and middle class who have not made then the rich people who have made it, but do they do to promote upwards mobility? We do have a growing gap between rich and poor, if they really cared about class mobility, they be concerned about that and want to address it.

The GOP's plan is get rid those entitlements and then ask those people who were using them to sink or swim, then those people will not vote for the GOP, you need a better alternative.

The Overlord is offline  
Old 04-15-2013, 05:05 PM   #310
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,384
Default Re: Discussion: The REPUBLICAN Party XV

This I can agree with.

I believe entitlements are strangling the economy. But, we can't just cut people off. It's not their fault they have to use the entitlements. It's our fault for falling back on them instead of providing better alternatives.

We probably only need a quarter of our current entitlement levels, give or take, for the people where there just isn't another solution for them. Or at least not one that could be developed on a short timescale. But, I don't see us even dropping one-quarter, much less getting down to one-quarter, within the next two decades. Not because it's impossible, but because the politicians are too afraid to touch anything, or even look at potential alternatives for fear of setting people off.


And it's really sad, because when you look at the amount of money pouring into the entitlement programs, and then imagine what scientists could do with all that money, it's staggering.

Think about it this way. Let's say that spending $50 billion on health sciences improves health care and quality of life enough to cut $60 billion in medicare. Now we're $10 billion ahead, and have improved everyone's life to some degree. Hell, I'd take a $10 billion loss (only being able to cut $40 billion in medicare) if that was the case.

And imagine if it was cumulative? Where spending $900 billion on sciences (less than the medicare budget for 2013) meant we could cut medicare by $800 billion. Can you imagine what would happened to health care if we dumped a trillion dollars into research EVERY YEAR? How long do you think cancer would remain a serious threat? How long until we get spinal nerves reconnected?

And that's not even considering how much money the private sector would be pumping into the economy as they use all this research to develop medicines and treatments, and as they have more healthy people living longer to sell to. Gonna need a lot of employees to fill that demand.


It be nice to actually change a viscous cycle into a virtuous one.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline  
Old 04-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #311
Marvolo
Side-Kick
 
Marvolo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 17,236
Default Re: Discussion: The REPUBLICAN Party XV

I think that driving down college tuition costs in this country would help us a lot. People wouldn't be taking out ridiculous loans they can't pay back and more people would be able to get in school and secure their future without having to rely on assistance.

Compared to other countries our tuition costs are robbery. Its the reason I haven't went to college. My parents make too much for me to get assistance and yet I myself can't afford tuition.

Marvolo is online now  
Old 04-15-2013, 05:28 PM   #312
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,384
Default Re: Discussion: The REPUBLICAN Party XV

Sadly enough, student loans are a major factor into why tuition costs are so high.

Students take out loans. So more students go to college. Which puts additional burdens on the college's resources, so colleges have to charge more. So tuition goes up. So more students take out bigger loans. So more students go to college...

What we need, are more colleges. Larger campuses would be nice too, but you can't build where there's no room.

With more colleges, supply starts catching up with demand. So price comes down. So the need for loans comes down. Which brings tuition down. So the need for loans comes down...

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline  
Old 04-15-2013, 05:34 PM   #313
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick
 
Thundercrack85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 14,668
Default Re: Discussion: The REPUBLICAN Party XV

Fun trivia, the cost of college has gone up 800% since 1980 (on average, much higher in some areas). And that's an old poll, I've read it's over 1000% now.

Textbook costs have also skyrocketed, even more so than tuition.

So yeah, there should be laws regulating that.

Obviously a lot of it has to do with the fact that more and more people are going to college, decreasing the overall value of diplomas, but some of that is still ridiculous.

The textbook industries should be price regulated. Those textbook people are eating the middle class alive.

Thundercrack85 is offline  
Old 04-15-2013, 05:39 PM   #314
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,384
Default Re: Discussion: The REPUBLICAN Party XV

I firmly support the open source textbook initiative. I mean, there are somethings that don't change. No one needs to buy a new math book every year because 2+2 is going to equal 4 for quite some time.

Hell, I've been reading an online linear algebra book just to refresh myself, and it is so concise, and so filled with great examples, all this stuff is popping back into my head after a decade without use.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline  
Old 04-15-2013, 05:39 PM   #315
SV Fan
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,377
Default Re: Discussion: The REPUBLICAN Party XV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
So yeah, there should be laws regulating that.
Good luck trying to get that past the Banking industrial complex

SV Fan is offline  
Old 04-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #316
The Overlord
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 7,397
Default Re: Discussion: The REPUBLICAN Party XV

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiegeabo View Post
This I can agree with.

I believe entitlements are strangling the economy. But, we can't just cut people off. It's not their fault they have to use the entitlements. It's our fault for falling back on them instead of providing better alternatives.

We probably only need a quarter of our current entitlement levels, give or take, for the people where there just isn't another solution for them. Or at least not one that could be developed on a short timescale. But, I don't see us even dropping one-quarter, much less getting down to one-quarter, within the next two decades. Not because it's impossible, but because the politicians are too afraid to touch anything, or even look at potential alternatives for fear of setting people off.


And it's really sad, because when you look at the amount of money pouring into the entitlement programs, and then imagine what scientists could do with all that money, it's staggering.

Think about it this way. Let's say that spending $50 billion on health sciences improves health care and quality of life enough to cut $60 billion in medicare. Now we're $10 billion ahead, and have improved everyone's life to some degree. Hell, I'd take a $10 billion loss (only being able to cut $40 billion in medicare) if that was the case.

And imagine if it was cumulative? Where spending $900 billion on sciences (less than the medicare budget for 2013) meant we could cut medicare by $800 billion. Can you imagine what would happened to health care if we dumped a trillion dollars into research EVERY YEAR? How long do you think cancer would remain a serious threat? How long until we get spinal nerves reconnected?

And that's not even considering how much money the private sector would be pumping into the economy as they use all this research to develop medicines and treatments, and as they have more healthy people living longer to sell to. Gonna need a lot of employees to fill that demand.


It be nice to actually change a viscous cycle into a virtuous one.
The see the problem is, the biggest waste in out society, is we often let the talents of most of our work force go to waste. That is one the biggest wasted resources in our society.

If we could do more things, to help more people realize their talents and their goals and help achieve that, we have a better and happier society, instead trying to make everyone into same thing, not everyone is going to be a round peg that fits into a round hole. If we give more people, more opportunities to get real jobs where they can make their own money, we rely less on welfare and have a happier society. That would be better then declaring everyone on welfare lazy, cutting all their benefits at once and creating a bunch of really desperate poor people, that would be really bad.

Conservatives often say they believe in equal opportunities, but I never really see these opportunities they seem to tout. Rick Perry gets touted as a job creator and yet most of the jobs he created were at Burger King. Burger King is an opportunity for a teenager to have a job that teaches them responsibility and gives their own spending money while at high school, its not opportunity for an adult that needs a real income to survive. I think we more opportunities for careers, rather then jobs should just be stop gap measures or are total dead ends.

The Overlord is offline  
Old 04-15-2013, 07:37 PM   #317
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,384
Default Re: Discussion: The REPUBLICAN Party XV

As long as we maintain an anti-competitive environment, a few major companies will control the market. They'll have no real motivation to compete on price or quality, or innovate (beyond minor iterations they call innovations for the marketing).

It also means they don't need to reach out to new customers. Which would require creating more jobs to fill the new demand. They can just piece off the current market share and trade off percentage points during the years.

Yet, if another company could squeak in there and start eating into share, it'll put some fear into the big guys. Force them to compete a little more, or even start expanding to those untouched areas.

Or, that small company could start servicing to those areas the big guys avoid. Then the big guys will suddenly wonder where this new big guy came from.

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline  
Old 04-17-2013, 09:38 PM   #318
SV Fan
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,377
Default Re: Discussion: The REPUBLICAN Party XV

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2013/0...outh-carolina/

Mark Sanford’s road to a political comeback just got a lot steeper.

The National Republican Congressional Committee said Wednesday that it would not be putting any money toward electing Mr. Sanford in the May 7 special election campaign for the Charleston, S.C.-based First District House seat. Mr. Sanford faces Democrat Elizabeth Colbert Busch, in what has traditionally been a safe GOP seat.

SV Fan is offline  
Old 04-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #319
wiegeabo
Omniposcient
 
wiegeabo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Look behind you...
Posts: 36,384
Default Re: Discussion: The REPUBLICAN Party XV

Oh Michelle Bachman. Will your antics never cease?

Affadavit: Bachmann Approved Indirect Payments to Iowa Politician

__________________
I don't care about your deathmatches. Don't even ask. I'll just report it as spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
90% of people are in love with wiegeabo. The other 10% are liars.
wiegeabo is offline  
Old 04-23-2013, 10:30 PM   #320
enterthemadness
The Triumvirate
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Mortalville!
Posts: 28,286
Default Re: Discussion: The REPUBLICAN Party XV

eRR...UH....OK.


http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickunga...ing-all-about/


Rand Paul for DRONES?

__________________

enterthemadness is offline  
Old 04-24-2013, 01:11 PM   #321
Mace Bloodstone
Prospect
 
Mace Bloodstone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 6,234
Default Re: Discussion: The REPUBLICAN Party XV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
Are you familiar with the Latin phrase post hoc, ergo propter hoc?

You're starting to sound like Rush Limbaugh.

Who do you think helps them more? The people who fight for entitlements, or those against them?

If you were a socially disadvantaged black person (or white, or Latino for that matter), who would you prefer? The guys who want to help you with your heating bill, and food bills or the social darwinists who don't give a damn?
Does having kids you can't afford fall under that category? The more you have the more "entitlements" you get just enough to get by and keep you poor. Who's going to have any incentive to change if you are practically rewarded for keeping yourself in the same situation. So of course they are going to vote for those who they think helps them more but in actuality it's hurting them. This is what really hurts the ones with disadvantages who actually need some kind of assistance.

Mace Bloodstone is offline  
Old 04-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #322
Hotwire
Dealin' W/ Demons
 
Hotwire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 13,450
Default Re: Discussion: The REPUBLICAN Party XV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mace Bloodstone View Post
Does having kids you can't afford fall under that category? The more you have the more "entitlements" you get just enough to get by and keep you poor. Who's going to have any incentive to change if you are practically rewarded for keeping yourself in the same situation. So of course they are going to vote for those who they think helps them more but in actuality it's hurting them. This is what really hurts the ones with disadvantages who actually need some kind of assistance.
Try living on state assistance and food stamps and tell me how rewarded you feel.

Hotwire is offline  
Old 04-24-2013, 04:33 PM   #323
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick
 
Thundercrack85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 14,668
Default Re: Discussion: The REPUBLICAN Party XV

Just hope you never find yourself in that position Mace. Or rather when you do, hope that people like you aren't running the place.

But for the grace of God as they say.

Thundercrack85 is offline  
Old 04-24-2013, 05:24 PM   #324
Mace Bloodstone
Prospect
 
Mace Bloodstone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: USA
Posts: 6,234
Default Re: Discussion: The REPUBLICAN Party XV

I'm not asking for it to be taken away, everyone goes through hard times that is what it is for. It's the ones abusing it generation after generation relying on the government for everything from when you are born to the day you die, is that a good thing?

Mace Bloodstone is offline  
Old 04-24-2013, 08:13 PM   #325
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator
 
Kelly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 58,783
Default Re: Discussion: The REPUBLICAN Party XV

I definitely want people to have help when they need it, unfortunately our welfare state has grown into something that draws people in, and doesn't do anything to help them get on their feet....they just give them stuff. Always takes me back to this quote...

"Give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, you feed him for a lifetime". That statement is why NGO's can do so much good in areas of the world where the need is faaaaaaar greater than ours here. For some reason, our government has not learned anything from that....

__________________

"HATE, It has caused a lot of problems in this world, but it has not solved one yet."
Maya Angelou ...

Kelly is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.