The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles > Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Closed Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 03:20 PM   #451
Nathan

Default Re: New Live Action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Movie In The Works? - Part 3

If it's not broken, don't fix it?

Old 04-16-2013, 03:34 PM   #452
Marvin
Side-Kick

Default Re: New Live Action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Movie In The Works? - Part 3

diminishing returns would argue different.

I find it oddly small minded that man fans want an asian actor in the voice over role of an a ninja rodent. No wonder the studios don't always look to fanboy approval...

Last edited by Marvin; 04-16-2013 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:34 AM   #453
NinjaTurtleFan
Turtle Power!

Ok... but Kevin Clash had experience with voice-work. All the voice actors that have played Splinter have used an Asian accent (except for Mako and Hoon Lee who are both of Asian ascent).

So I don't understand this idea of us fans being "small-minded" when we want an actor who is Asian or can sound Asian.

Not saying Danny "could" pull off an accent or voice for Splinter, but looking over his career it's a little hard to tell he can. From what I've seen in either TV or film, he's always typecast as the grouchy and hoarse-voiced corporate or mob boss.

I'll say it before and I'll say it again... a voice-actor who's known for voicing cartoons and videogames (Phil LaMarr's "Samurai Jack" voice would've been perfect for Splinter) or actors such as these would've been perfect:

Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa, Ken Watanabe, Chow Yun-Fat, Rick Yune, Andy Lau, Tony Leung, James Hong, Hiroyuki Sanada, Masato Harada, or Ric Young.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:54 AM   #454
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

They may be saving one of them for Shredder.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #455
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaTurtleFan View Post
Ok... but Kevin Clash had experience with voice-work. All the voice actors that have played Splinter have used an Asian accent (except for Mako and Hoon Lee who are both of Asian ascent).

So I don't understand this idea of us fans being "small-minded" when we want an actor who is Asian or can sound Asian.

Not saying Danny "could" pull off an accent or voice for Splinter, but looking over his career it's a little hard to tell he can. From what I've seen in either TV or film, he's always typecast as the grouchy and hoarse-voiced corporate or mob boss.

I'll say it before and I'll say it again... a voice-actor who's known for voicing cartoons and videogames (Phil LaMarr's "Samurai Jack" voice would've been perfect for Splinter) or actors such as these would've been perfect:

Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa, Ken Watanabe, Chow Yun-Fat, Rick Yune, Andy Lau, Tony Leung, James Hong, Hiroyuki Sanada, Masato Harada, or Ric Young.
Phil lamarr voices him in the Nickelodeon cartoon.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:46 AM   #456
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
They may be saving one of them for Shredder.
or they are just going in a different direction with the character

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 04-17-2013, 11:50 AM   #457
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaTurtleFan View Post

I think it's small minded. No offense.
People limited by the scope of what came before and they loved.

For example, what was the description? Asian, rodent, martial arts master, anyone but an asian man is cast and the fanboys rage.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Dustin Hoffman I believe...

Old 04-17-2013, 11:56 AM   #458
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post
I think it's small minded. No offense.
People limited by the scope of what came before and they loved.

For example, what was the description? Asian, rodent, martial arts master, anyone but an asian man is cast and the fanboys rage.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Dustin Hoffman I believe...
and no stereotypical accent

The point i try to make is if they keep doing the same thing over and over again then the IP will become stagnant...it will not grow and expand with society. Batman has been around for a long time and had changed along with society....what if they decided every Joker must look and act like 60's Batman Joker???

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 04-17-2013, 12:26 PM   #459
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Splinter and his accent just depends on his influence I'd say. If he's spent most of his early life in Japan, he'll likely have a more Japanese accent. If he's mostly in the US like his sons, he'll have one more like them.

We don't know the background of this Splinter yet. Just have to wait and see.

I wouldn't compare it too much to something like Kung Fu Panda or Avatar since those films/shows were too much about the variety of accents one can hear in their worlds. And they technically were all talking/writing some form of Chinese.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Heís much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Heís Everyman operating on a sciĖfi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

"Self Portrait" By Batman

Last edited by Lencho01; 04-17-2013 at 12:30 PM.
Old 04-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #460
Marvin
Side-Kick

Not all "people" that "grow up" in asia have Asian accents.
I would hope even michael bay understood that.
- again see KungFu Panda or mulan to a lesser degree.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #461
Norrin Parker
Majestor of the Shi'ar

I can't believe people are even remotely ok with this casting. Or this movie for that matter.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:25 PM   #462
Gamma Goliath
Engine of Destruction

I think splinter will have an Asian accent, it's been a part of his character for a long time and just because the casting doesn't say Asian doesn't mean the character won't. They probably hired him because he was cheap and maybe he voice tested well.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #463
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2013/0...-man-of-steel/

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"
Heís much more of a working class superhero, which is why we ended the whole book with the image of a laboring Superman. Heís Everyman operating on a sciĖfi Paul Bunyan scale." - Grant Morrison

Old 04-17-2013, 02:35 PM   #464
Octoberist
point blank

Quote:
Not all "people" that "grow up" in asia have Asian accents.
I would hope even michael bay understood that.
- again see KungFu Panda or mulan to a lesser degree.
I'm curious: what kind of voice or dialect do you want himto have.

Old 04-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #465
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
I'm curious: what kind of voice or dialect do you want himto have.
No idea.
Something "good"

Old 04-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #466
roach
I am the night

maybe because he's a rat and gets his power of voice in NY...maybe a new York accent

Old 04-17-2013, 04:35 PM   #467
GREEN =w= DAY
Side-Kick

why do i get the feeling that Splinter will be nothing but a comedic sidekick of sorts?

i was watching an episode of Seinfeld yesterday where Woodburn comes out and i can not for the life of me see anything about him that scream Splinter

Old 04-17-2013, 04:58 PM   #468
Octoberist
point blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
maybe because he's a rat and gets his power of voice in NY...maybe a new York accent
That would be awful.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:20 PM   #469
Wheels
Encore! Encore!

Quote:
That would be awful.
Well, they live in New York so it would make sense. It would take some getting used to though.

This movie is a massive question mark. We have zero idea where this is going unfortunately.

Quote:
I gave you cookies!
-- Bo Dallas
Old 04-17-2013, 06:13 PM   #470
Marvin
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN =w= DAY View Post
why do i get the feeling that Splinter will be nothing but a comedic sidekick of sorts?

i was watching an episode of Seinfeld yesterday where Woodburn comes out and i can not for the life of me see anything about him that scream Splinter
Michael Keaton/Michael Rosenbaum(sp)/Jamie Fox/Will Smith/Peter Dinklage among many others have roots in lighter comedic roles only to serve the point that comedic actors have a great sense of timing that leads to great dramatic performances.

That being said, what is really required of splinter.
What would a 13 year old boy really demand of splinter in order to be satified?
Watch an episode of The Last Air bender and you'll see kids characters straddle absurd comedy and tense drama like a horse.

Last I seen of Danny was Watchmen. And he was only half a joke in that movie.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:22 PM   #471
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Quote:

Last I seen of Danny was Watchmen. And he was only half a joke in that movie.
I kinda feel bad that I laughed at this...

"

Old 04-17-2013, 08:53 PM   #472
NinjaTurtleFan
Turtle Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamma Goliath View Post
Phil lamarr voices him in the Nickelodeon cartoon.
No, he doesn't. Phil plays Baxter Stockman. Hoon Lee plays Splinter on the new Nickelodeon show.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:19 PM   #473
roach
I am the night

Quote:
That would be awful.
any worst that taking four bad@$$ ninja turtles and turning them into jokey-pizza loving-sufer dude-types?????
worst than making all the turtles colored coded???

Old 04-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #474
Wheels
Encore! Encore!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
any worst that taking four bad@$$ ninja turtles and turning them into jokey-pizza loving-sufer dude-types?????
worst than making all the turtles colored coded???
Actually making them color coded was a good idea. That way you don't constantly refer to the turtles by name to tell them apart

Quote:
I gave you cookies!
-- Bo Dallas
Old 04-17-2013, 10:15 PM   #475
roach
I am the night

I am more of a fan of the comics than the cartoons

Closed Thread