2 0 0%
1 0 0%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 07:42 AM   #726
scifiwolf
Side-Kick

Default Re: Oblivion

I found this while reviewing sketches for some design studies I'm doing. Scrolling down through the guest speakers' profiles, I came across Daniel Simon, who did some art for Oblivion. The example they have posted is an iteration for the bubble ship. Pretty cool to see the influences of the old Bell 47 and dragonflies to build up the form. It was something I hadn't seen before, so I thought I'd post it to share. Also figured if any Hypers are able to attend the workshop, they might enjoy it.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:01 AM   #727
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Just got back from this, really enjoyed it but at the same time was slightly dissapointed. The movie was confusing in parts it shouldnt have been, which made some of the revelations towards the end lack a bit of bite in my eyes.

The cast were great, Cruise, Riseborough (that swimming scene, wow!) and Kuralenko were all very good, and Freeman and Coster-Waldau, despite having small roles, did make an impact and got you invested in them. The visuals are the movies strong point, i'm sure everyone has heard by now but the movie really is gorgeous, the sound and score help a lot with the mood as well. The score was excellent, though not quite as good as the one for Tron: Legacy.

The action was very good as well, but a word of warning, its not an "action-packed" movie by any means, there are maybe 3 set-pieces in the whole movie, there are some very slow and talkative parts as well so if you want an action romp dont come to this.

The story was quite good, though it borrows heavily from other, even recent sci-fi movies, however the execution was done pretty well, even if parts dragged and the big reveal was pretty predictable. But this brings me back to the confusing parts, what were the aliens exactly? And
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
what were they doing cloning humans, why couldnt the drones just monitor Earth and return to the TET when they needed repair, also why were the aliens here, was it just for the planets resources? Why even make up the story to Jack and Victoria about them leaving for Titan, etc, why the big elaborate scheme just to keep them happy?

For a film full of talking moments and exposition, I really shouldnt have this many questions, but overall I did enjoy it, and it is well worth seeing at the cinema. 8/10.

Kosinski really needs some help with his story-telling though, he slows things down too much to get the plot explained in both his movies so far.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9(4)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)300:ROAE-7(15)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(16)47 Ronin-6(17)Monuments Men-5(18)Ride Along-5(19)I, Frankenstein-3
Old 04-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #728
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVEITWITHJAMON View Post
But this brings me back to the confusing parts, what were the aliens exactly? And
what were they doing cloning humans, why couldnt the drones just monitor Earth and return to the TET when they needed repair, also why were the aliens here, was it just for the planets resources? Why even make up the story to Jack and Victoria about them leaving for Titan, etc, why the big elaborate scheme just to keep them happy?
There were no aliens on Earth (according to Beech), the Tet was creating and using the clones to help take over the earth and drain their resources. I guess you can say that Tet was the alien in this movie. I think Tet wanted that elaborate story to prevent them from remembering too much and give them a false hope? The Drones needed repair but they needed a human touch which is another reason why the clones was created.

On a side note yes, dat Riseborough.

Last edited by Kane52630; 04-18-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:29 AM   #729
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kane52630 View Post
There were no aliens on Earth (according to Beech), the Tet was creating and using the clones to help take over the earth and drain their resources. I guess you can say that Tet was the alien in this movie. I think Tet wanted that elaborate story to prevent them from remembering too much and give them a false hope? The Drones needed repair but they needed a human touch which is another reason why the clones was created.
Yeah I got that the TET was alien in nature, but what was it exactly? It seemed like more of a machine than a biological alien, so if it was a machine then who sent it and why did they not feel the need to be present themselves in case anything went wrong. Also if it was a machine, what did it need resources for? I just think the aliens themselves needed a bit more explanation, especially of their motives and what they need the resources for, was their world dying? Were they just a cruel race who wanted to wipe out others, there were simply too many questions about them for my liking.

Quote:
On a side note yes, dat Riseborough.
Indeed, the body on that woman is amazing, she is a pretty great actress as well.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes-9.5(3)Guardians Of The Galaxy-9(4)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(5)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(6)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(7)Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(8)Godzilla-8(9)Neighbours-8(10)Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(11)Lego Movie-7.5(12)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(13)Robocop-7.5(14)300:ROAE-7(15)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(16)47 Ronin-6(17)Monuments Men-5(18)Ride Along-5(19)I, Frankenstein-3

Last edited by AVEITWITHJAMON; 04-18-2013 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:39 AM   #730
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

Quote:
Yeah I got that the TET was alien in nature, but what was it exactly? It seemed like more of a machine than a biological alien, so if it was a machine then who sent it and why did they not feel the need to be present themselves in case anything went wrong. Also if it was a machine, what did it need resources for? I just think the aliens themselves needed a bit more explanation, especially of their motives and what they need the resources for, was their world dying? Were they just a cruel race who wanted to wipe out others, there were simply too many questions about them for my liking.
Fix the spoiler tag on your post before anyone sees it.

I dunno, I dug the little ambiguity for the real aliens, It leaves the door open for a sequel. It reminded me of the other older scifi movies and novels that go that route which is what Joe wanted to make in the first place.

Last edited by Kane52630; 04-18-2013 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:55 AM   #731
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Fix the spoiler tag on your post before anyone sees it.
Phew, just fixed it then, hope I didnt spoil anything for anyone, apologies if I did.

Quote:
I dunno, I dug the little ambiguity for the real aliens, It leaves the door open for a sequel. It reminded me of the other older scifi movies and novels that go that route which is what Joe wanted to make in the first place.
I dont mind a little ambiguity, I actually prefer sometimes that they leave things open to our imagination, I am someone who loved Prometheus for example. But in Oblivion they gave us virtually NOTHING on the aliens, they didnt leave to our imagination IMO because we literally had nothing to go on, we dont know what they look like, what the TET was, nothing, which I found the only really dissapointing aspect of the movie. We literally didnt know what the humans were fighting against, nor did it look like the humans fought back when they initially invaded, the aliens just destroyed the moon then left us for a while before sending the drones in.

As for a sequel, has Kosinski said he wants to do one? I followed this movie from the start of its production and dont remember hearing anything about a sequel, I always thought this was a stand-alone feature like Moon and Sunshine?

Old 04-18-2013, 10:59 AM   #732
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

So she made your borough rise, is what you're saying.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:03 AM   #733
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
So she made your borough rise, is what you're saying.
Definately! Have you seen the movie? If so you will know what scene we mean.

Old 04-18-2013, 11:07 AM   #734
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

Quote:

I dont mind a little ambiguity, I actually prefer sometimes that they leave things open to our imagination, I am someone who loved Prometheus for example. But in Oblivion they gave us virtually NOTHING on the aliens, they didnt leave to our imagination IMO because we literally had nothing to go on, we dont know what they look like, what the TET was, nothing, which I found the only really dissapointing aspect of the movie. We literally didnt know what the humans were fighting against, nor did it look like the humans fought back when they initially invaded, the aliens just destroyed the moon then left us for a while before sending the drones in.

As for a sequel, has Kosinski said he wants to do one? I followed this movie from the start of its production and dont remember hearing anything about a sequel, I always thought this was a stand-alone feature like Moon and Sunshine?
ah, I can see why you were disappointed, I didn't get that feeling myself. He said he doesn't want to immediately go back to this world but he left a maybe sign during a WonderCon interview.

http://www.iamrogue.com/news/wonderc...cy-sequel.html
“Potentially. Honestly, just in casual conversations. We’ve talked about what happened before the movie and what happened after. That would be a thing where you’d really want the demand to be there before you start thinking about it. For me, I think it would be great to take a little break from this world for a little while. But that’s not to say we wouldn’t want to go back to it at some point.”

Old 04-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #735
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

You know...if the we ever get a Portal movie Joe would be the perfect guy to direct (and hire the writer from the game).

Old 04-18-2013, 02:09 PM   #736
DorneyDave
Side-Kick

My lack of interest based on the trailers and plot-line combined with the mixed reviews have convinced me to just wait for the Blu-Ray of this one. I know I'll be missing out on the "Imax" experience, but with tickets being 19 dollars, have to pick and choose. Going to save that 19 bucks for Iron Man 3 in a few weeks.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #737
Destructus86
Side-Kick

Den of Geek is the ONLY site i'll even give consideration for when it comes to movie reviews...and they seem to like it.
http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/obli...blivion-review

Old 04-18-2013, 02:18 PM   #738
Monsieur Xavier
Guild Steersman

The Tet was Hal and Sal 9000 evil son, a sentient bio organic computer.

Old 04-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #739
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructus86 View Post
Den of Geek is the ONLY site i'll even give consideration for when it comes to movie reviews...and they seem to like it.
http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/obli...blivion-review
He pretty much hit the nail on the head with that review. I like this quote:

Quote:
It’s a well-constructed story, even if some of the narrative beats have been seen before. Kosinski keeps the twists coming thick and fast, and just when you think you’ve got a handle on where the narrative's going, it alters trajectory and forges into new territory. And because the plot emphasises characters over action, the set-pieces, when they do arrive, have far more impact: one aerial chase sequence is particularly exhilarating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsieur Xavier View Post
The Tet was Hal and Sal 9000 evil son, a sentient bio organic computer.
Yeah, pretty much.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:25 PM   #740
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

Old 04-18-2013, 09:35 PM   #741
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Can't wait to see is. I LOVE tron legacy. Do you guys think ill like this? Is it similar?

Old 04-18-2013, 09:45 PM   #742
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimod0 View Post
Can't wait to see is. I LOVE tron legacy. Do you guys think ill like this? Is it similar?
It's similar in pace and the futuristic design aesthetic. For story wise, think of it as a big budgeted twilight zone episode with a lot of nods to the old 60's/70's scifi novels and films.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:55 PM   #743
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

Quote:
It's similar in pace and the futuristic design aesthetic. For story wise, think of it as a big budgeted twilight zone episode with a lot of nods to the old 60's/70's scifi novels and films.
Sounds like ill love it. Thanks Kane

Saving Mr. Banks- 9/10, Jack Ryan- 7/10, The Lego Movie- 9/10, Non-Stop- 8/10, Captain America: The Winter Soldier- 10/10, The Amazing Spider-Man 2-8/10, Godzilla- 7/10, Days of Future Past- 8/10, Edge of Tomorrow- 8.5/10, Transformers 4- 7.5/10, Dawn of the Planet of the Apes- 10/10, Guardians of the Galaxy- 9/10
Old 04-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #744
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Monsieur Xavier is pretty much spot on about the TET.

It lured in Jack Harper who was supposed to be one of our finest, an astronaut and I assume a military man. Then they cloned him, perhaps 1,000's of times and an army of Jacks were sent to Earth to wipe us out. Once done they left clones of Jack and the only other human they had, Vicka, and created the backstory for them in order to keep them in line with the traditional human life of husband and wife along with sense of duty as both were clearly that type as they went to examine the TET to begin with.

The part about Titan was so they would fly up after so many rotations to be replaced by new clones as the TET knew eventually one or both would potentially start to ask too many questions and need replacing, plus to keep the clones motivated they needed something to aim for, that was what Titan represented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scifiwolf View Post
I found this while reviewing sketches for some design studies I'm doing. Scrolling down through the guest speakers' profiles, I came across Daniel Simon, who did some art for Oblivion. The example they have posted is an iteration for the bubble ship. Pretty cool to see the influences of the old Bell 47 and dragonflies to build up the form. It was something I hadn't seen before, so I thought I'd post it to share. Also figured if any Hypers are able to attend the workshop, they might enjoy it.

Awesome! Thanks for posting this, I stand by my view that the bubble ship is the greatest sci fi vehicle created since the Falcon and Salve 1. I'm disappointed that no collectibles company has made a model of it.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 04-18-2013, 09:58 PM   #745
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

I also loved how the Drones were made to feel so menacing; sentient and soulless killing machines, like floating Terminators. The sounds used for them were perfect.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 04-18-2013, 10:03 PM   #746
dude love
Pissin fire is awesome!

I'm avoiding posts in this thread for fear of spoilers. If I took my ten year old cousin to this, would he be entertained?

Old 04-18-2013, 10:06 PM   #747
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
I also loved how the Drones were made to feel so menacing; sentient and soulless killing machines, like floating Terminators. The sounds used for them were perfect.
Indeed, they made them into ruthless killing machines and the sound was one of major reasons why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude love View Post
I'm avoiding posts in this thread for fear of spoilers. If I took my ten year old cousin to this, would he be entertained?
Depends, if he doesn't mind a slow paced film then he should be entertained. When sh** does happen they make sure sh** hits the fan.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:13 PM   #748
dude love
Pissin fire is awesome!

Hmm, might not risk it and take him to Iron Man 3. He's pretty mature, but not that ready for a heavy sci-fi flick. He'd better be ready for Interstellar though!

Old 04-18-2013, 10:13 PM   #749
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude love View Post
As Kane says it depends on if he's a 10 year old who doesn't get bored with too much talking and not enough action. The action is great when it comes but the movie takes it's time to get to it which invests you in the main character.

Quote:
Indeed, they made them into ruthless killing machines and the sound was one of major reasons why.
I especially thought the scene where the drone killed Vicka was chilling.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:18 PM   #750
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post

I especially thought the scene where the drone killed Vicka was chilling.
Same here, my jaw dropped when I realized what just happened.

Closed Thread