The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Old 04-15-2013, 09:26 PM   #26
moraldeficiency
Maxwell's Demon

Default Re: Marvelman returns in June

Angela could be a fun character with ghost rider, road to damnation is absolutely the best GR story I've ever read.

As for Marvelman, I would dig seeing him around the 616. DC's had Captain Marvel for forever and have really done a horrible job with an awesome concept. I'd like to see what say a Gillen could do with him.

OMG, it makes sense now. Does Fox News know about this?
moraldeficiency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:10 PM   #27
KevanG
Brony

I want to have Gaiman finish the MM series he started. I just want an ending Is that too much to ask for? I love the MM books, had to download them due to them costing slightly less than obscene amounts of money for any of the books, shame on me

#saveWontkinsMom
KevanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #28
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

I had to download that one real expensive issue years ago... 15 I think. I've seen it a few times but always for rediculous amounts of money. I eventualy sold my set because it bugged me not having that one issue but I refused to pay that much money for it. I regret having sold them now.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:06 PM   #29
Themanofbat
Never Mind the Buttocks...

I bought #1 to #24 as they came out for cover price...

Read The Amazing Spider-Man...100% pure Spider-Man Goodness...

"It's disturbing when young people believe right-wing political hype. It's like rock n' roll never happened."

Play Spider-Man Trivia here...
Themanofbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:30 PM   #30
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Old people benefits.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 04-18-2013, 01:03 PM   #31
Themanofbat

yeah... it's awesome....

"It's disturbing when young people believe right-wing political hype. It's like rock n' roll never happened."

Old 04-19-2013, 10:22 AM   #32
Gabe99
Side-Kick

Brian Bendis Says No Miracleman At The End Of Age Of Ultron

Gabe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:56 AM   #33
Themanofbat

Brian Bendis says a lot of things...

Old 04-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #34
Hypestyle
Side-Kick

ah well, we'll see what happens, I hope something happens by the end of the year. But beyond whatever "new" appearances happen-- I wonder how many people even have had the opportunity to read the Moore/Gaiman era books, whether as back issues or whatever, and how many people are just aware of the "legend" of the Moore/Gaiman era stuff but they've never read any of them, much less seen any of it besides a few odd scans here and there?

Hypestyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #35
Donnie Darko
Forgotten Pre-New 52 Hero

I've seen bits and pieces (like single pages or panels) shown in Wizard or online when talking about its greatness, but I have never read it, nor will I pay what people charge for them. I was hoping for trades at some point, but who knows? I have already kinda ruined it for me by reading the history/plot of the character on Wikipedia (although Wizard and online sites have already spoiled quite a bit of it for me over the years).

Old 04-22-2013, 12:54 PM   #36
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

I've read Moore's and Gaiman's stories through means we're not allowed to talk about here. I was pretty sure it was the only way I was ever going to read it.

Manic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:11 PM   #37
Baramos
Side-Kick

DOES this reprint contain the "dystopian" one that Moore did (and Gaiman, too? Not sure) that people actually want to read?

Baramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #38
Sakuraba
Seer of Visions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baramos View Post
DOES this reprint contain the "dystopian" one that Moore did (and Gaiman, too? Not sure) that people actually want to read?
No, the Marvel reprints are strictly old Mick Anglo stories. Not to bash it, but it's not especially good, not even in fun quirky Silver Age ways. It's just not worth the cover price or your time. Everything you need to know about those stories, and it isn't much, is properly summarized by Moore and inherent within the framework of his deconstruction. So there really is no reason to pick it up in my opinion, I'm not sure if Mick Anglo or his family are even getting any royalties from it.

Marvel doesn't own the Moore/Gaiman stuff. That's what everyone wants and misinterpreted when they announced that they obtained Marvelman. Moore handed over writing duties and his share of ownership for his work on the character to Gaiman. So it's owned by Gaiman, Buckingham, the original artists for the Warrior rebirth issue, and Todd McFarlane who bought the shell of Eclipse Comics. Eclipse was reprinting the Warrior stories and got Moore to pick up the story under their banner, rebranding it as Miracleman. It's disputed whether Eclipse ever really owned any bit of Miracleman or the stories it published.

So ownership of the in-demand stories is a mess. Somebody else here could probably explain it better, I know Gaiman has kinda gone point by point on the ownership issue and whether or not the original artists working with Moore still retain or claim a share of the work. I don't remember the specifics of it, but it's been a Gaiman/McFarlane legal battle for Miracleman 1-24 and beyond. I know that #25 has been in the can for nearly twenty years now and Gaiman has said he would finish his Miracleman story for Marvel if given the opportunity.

I was able to read the whole of the published Moore/Gaiman work several years ago on the web. It was probably about 11 or so years ago, and I can safely say that it is one of my favorite stories. I hate to be vague and not so specific, but I read through it only once so many years ago on not great resolution. It was pretty brilliant. I can remember being astounded by the creativity that Moore used to bridge the narrative gap from the long dead older stories to his modern take. He used the retcon well, to actually progress a story and not just hit the reset button in the most convoluted way. You can respect a character's heritage without being a slave to it. I didn't like Gaiman's issues as much, but in fairness to him he was going from the aftermath of Moore's finished story to only beginning to ratchet up his own story.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:25 PM   #39
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Bumping this thread because I'm about to start reading Moore/Gaiman's Miracleman. Also, we now see what happened with Angela, so it would be fun to sort of speculate on what they could do with Marvelman. If they bring Marvelman into 616 they would have to do it smartly and in a way that fits with the Marvel U, since Superman allegories haven't historically worked well in Marvel.

I think there are two ways to do it. The first, what I wouldn't mind is if the end result of all the universal systems breaking down is a new system being implemented by nature itself to sustain the dying universe, and that manifests itself in Marvelman (coming out of whatever happens in Gaiman's completed story). He will exist within the 616 but will also essentially be on a different plane than all the other characters, literally replacing the Builders as a world creator and razor. I think such a concept can go very deep and fits the type of stories that made the character so popular under Moore and Gaiman, it would just be on a larger scale. Having him on a different plane will basically give us the sort of standalone/isolated Marvelman stories we want, but also leave open the possibility of his actions affecting the Marvel U as a whole and eventually interacting with other characters when the time comes. As for a writer for this kind of story, Hickman is the only guy at Marvel I think could even begin or stand a chance to do it justice. And it would only be fitting that he carry on the character's story from the fallout of his own Avengers run.

Hell, a cool spin on giving Marvelman a physical form would be if they used Hyperion, the current Superman allegory on the Avengers, as a starting point for the universe to construct a new system around. He would basically be sacrificing himself to give rise to a new system, because he's the only one powerful enough to sustain such energy and he comes from a different universe etc etc. Would be awesome stuff.

The second way, which is way less interesting, is to have Marvelman be connected to Angela somehow. He exists within the plan of angels that Angela is from and is revealed as we eventually learn where exactly Angela comes from and what role she plays in the Marvel Universe. I much prefer the other route because it's less typical, not redundant, more exciting, and imo a better concept with more potential.

Last edited by Mr. Dent; 08-26-2013 at 11:31 PM.
Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:08 AM   #40
Themanofbat

I'm not sure if we'll see MarvelMan into the Marvel Universe until Gaimen gets a chance to finish his story...

I still think Marvel will release the first 24 issues twice a month to give us a build-up and then have Gaimen's new stories to finish the tale...

I now wonder IF his proposed ending will now be altered to have him come into the 616...

Old 08-27-2013, 07:47 AM   #41
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

I hate that they're doing that rereleasing thing with the Maxx because they're charging $4 for it (IDW is doing that), and you know Marvel will do the same with with Marvelman. Sadly, a lot of MarvelMan is hard to get a hold of so you know people will buy it up. I mean, I get charging full price when it gets to Gaiman's new stuff, but they'll charge $4 from the get go.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 08-27-2013, 09:01 AM   #42
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Yeah Bleeding Cool speculated that as well.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/07/...ack-marvelman/

Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:59 AM   #43
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Wow, yeah. That's pretty much exactly how I see it happening. Especially the co-release of the old stuff and a new 616 MarvelMan book.

I was just today wondering how long we have before Marvel starts jumping the price up to $4.99 on regular books. With DC being financially forced to raise their prices to match/keep up with Marvel, I think it'll be sooner than later.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 10-12-2013, 06:11 PM   #44
Themanofbat

FINALLY... something worth coming out in 2014...

Old 10-12-2013, 06:35 PM   #45
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

They're actually calling it Miracleman too, which is the name I prefer.

I think a thread title change is in order.....

runawayboulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:23 PM   #46
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

It's about damn time.

Old 10-13-2013, 12:57 AM   #47
KevanG
Brony

I just want them to finish the goddam story. Finish it up with Gaiman and then do whatever. Hopefully they do something like they did with the Punisher or (formerly) John Constantine from DC. He is known in the MU but makes very little interaction besides guest stars and the occasional cross over and has his own thing going on by itself.

#saveWontkinsMom
KevanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:30 AM   #48
Manic
User title? USER TITLE?!

Parts of Miracleman's comic don't really mesh with any part of the MU, such as the things Kid Miracleman did and the state the whole world was in during Gaiman's run. The comic would have to take place in another universe entirely, not just in a cauterized section of 616 like the Punisher.

Old 10-13-2013, 09:20 AM   #49
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Oh cool. I heard they were finally rereleasing these, but I didn't know they were sticking with the MiracleMan name, which I also prefer. Very good

I'm only really interested in getting a hold of the Moore issues. That's all I've read and loved but couldn't get a complete run of (and eventually sold). I'm nervous about the prices, but we'll see. If I manage to collect those through to the end, then I'll probably keep going on Gaiman's run.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 10-13-2013, 09:36 AM   #50
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic View Post
Parts of Miracleman's comic don't really mesh with any part of the MU, such as the things Kid Miracleman did and the state the whole world was in during Gaiman's run. The comic would have to take place in another universe entirely, not just in a cauterized section of 616 like the Punisher.
After they shattered the time lines, nothing is off the table.

runawayboulder is offline   Reply With Quote