The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Old 03-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #101
Deaths Head II
The Sequel

Default Re: Does this movie have too many characters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
Watching First Class atm. I love how balanced this film is. Obviously Xavier, Erik and Raven get the lions share of the X-Men scenes, but I like that every character is able to chime in when they're all talking and it feels natural. Unlike in say, x3 where every important thing is said only by Logan, or in the first two films where other characters just nod to whatever Xavier says.
I love that about the film too. I worry how this one will portray the team(s) as a whole with Wolverine returning and Singer back at the helm.

Cyclops is the best superhero in the world. He is, as far as I'm concerned, the Batman. He's been in intensive training since his early teenage years to lead the first-ever mutant rescue and security team. This is a guy who gets up every morning asking himself how he can be better.
Deaths Head II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:39 PM   #102
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknessOfDeath View Post
am I the only one who likes Iceman? I mean, sure I wish he had more development in X1/X2 but what can ya do?
I liked Iceman too because he's very likable in the comics. But compare to the bigger characters, he doesn't have much depth as a character.

"I wanna be able to touch people, Logan. A hug, a handshake, a kiss." - X3
*smiles* *walks away* - X4
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 06:54 AM   #103
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
Iceman is like another side of the coin. Personality no, but home life.. and personal life we know alot more about than Banshee and havok.
I really like the scene with Iceman's family, but to me it feels like a very general Mutant Teenager Gets Rejected by His Family kind of scene, rather than something that tells me much about Iceman.

I loved Rogue's relationship with Logan in X1, but once that pretty much went out of the window in X2 there wasn't much left to her character IMO.

Mrs Vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:58 PM   #104
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Hmmm Bryan Singer hasn't announced another actor joining the cast of DOFP since his casting announcement of Lady Gaga.

If this is the final cast (excluding minor roles and the actor that will portray President Nixon), the cast isn't too big. 16 actors and 14 characters aren't a lot especially this is already the 7th movie in the series and they are mixing the original cast and the cast of FC. X3 still takes the cake for having the most amount of characters.

Old 04-19-2013, 07:33 AM   #105
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
Hmmm Bryan Singer hasn't announced another actor joining the cast of DOFP since his casting announcement of Lady Gaga.

If this is the final cast (excluding minor roles and the actor that will portray President Nixon), the cast isn't too big. 16 actors and 14 characters aren't a lot especially this is already the 7th movie in the series and they are mixing the original cast and the cast of FC. X3 still takes the cake for having the most amount of characters.
Wait, what? Lady Gaga is in this movie? Have you been drinking lol?

Old 04-19-2013, 02:10 PM   #106
Super Jim
Side-Kick

I think this is a good question, but the expectation for this movie is that there will be multiple times and realities.

First there will be the present.

Then the past.

Then a new present reality because of the change to the past.

And then back to the regular present.

In some ways this is like 2 or 3 different movies all in one, and as far as casting and the number of characters I think we need to look at it in that way...

So, for the normal present we have the following:

Professor X (wheelchair)
Storm
Wolverine
Colossus
Kitty
Rogue
Iceman

Magneto

We should expect that we will start with these characters in this timeline. There will likely be a bunch of filler/background mutants at the X-mansion as well. So what will be going on?

I would hope that they would take some time to delve into the whole Bobby/Rogue relationship and maybe even bring Kitty into it as a possible relationship tension. This might lead to a major plot point, which I have discussed in a different thread (the need for an inhibitor collar).

Will there be a baddie to take down at the start to get the movie going and to show that the X-men have been kicking butts and taking names for the past couple of years? If so, wonder who...

Anyway, at some point early in the movie something will happen to cause us to switch to the 1970's team. My speculation is that the inhibitor collar might be taken back in time by a new baddie (Fitzroy maybe? - Dinklage might work).

Now there are two ways to do things.

One is to have Bishop (Omar Sy) part of the present X-men, and the other is to make him solely from the new altered future reality. If he is part of the team already I could see him jumping into Fitzroy's timewarp and going along for a ride.

So, 1970's X-men...

Professor X
Beast

Magneto
Mystique

Seems we're kind of short on characters in the 70's. BooBoo might be a new 1970's character (John Proudstar (someone to kill), Sunspot or Forge), especially if they want to focus on Wolverine and Forge in the war.

I could even see Vietnam being part of the storyline, similar to how the Cuban Missile Crisis was used in First Class. Maybe this is how Nixon will be used since so much of his Presidency was wrapped around that war. His election and his undoing (Watergate) were all based on Vietnam (I've written another thread about this concept).

Now Bishop would likely be a big part of what goes on in the 70's, as would the main villain (who will likely go back in time and change the future).

Now the future, or present, depending on how you look at it, will change around one main character (Xavier or Wolverine). Now many things will be different. Some of the X-men will be dead (the X-men cemetary will be powerful). Is this where Bishop will be? Is BingBing really Blink? If so this is where she'll be. Will it be Xavier who realizes something is off due to his mental powers? Maybe they use Blink to somehow send Bishop back in time to stop something. Maybe Bishop will actually be the "bad guy" sent back to kill the one who created this future, who is Forge because he invented the collar. This is where the sentinals will be, and possibly Mastermold (if they go that route) and/or Nimrod.

I know, a lot of speculation, but from the way I see it, we actually don't have enough characters for what this movie needs to be. For example...

What about Shard?

What about Fitzroy and Bantam?

What about Mastermold and Nimrod?

Why only 2 X-men in the 70's?

Who will still be alive in the Sentinal controlled future reality?

Will there be internment camps? If so, who is captured?

I guess it all depends on which storyline and what change to the past they go with...

Super Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:19 PM   #107
Double B
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Jim View Post
First there will be the present.

Then a new present reality because of the change to the past.

And then back to the regular present.
There is only one present. It's post-X3.

And this movie will definitely not end by returning to the "regular" present AKA the one we were left with at the end of X3. That's the "****" Bryan wants to fix.

Double B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #108
NanaT
X-Men United!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
She was announced on April 1st.

- PROFESSOR CHARLES XAVIER
NanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #109
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by NanaT View Post
She was announced on April 1st.
Oh. I just looked up that April Fool prank. I tend to avoid the internet on that day because of all the hoax stories, and on April 1 this year I was on holiday so i had even less awareness of what was happening online on that day and the next few days!

Old 04-19-2013, 02:34 PM   #110
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

We have 2 characters In both timeframes-Xavier and Magneto

Future-Wolverine,Storm,Kitty,Iceman,Rogue,Colossus

1973-Mystique and Beast plus Nixon and whoever Peter Dinklage Is playing

Unknown timeframe-Blink

We still don't know who Omar Sy and Booboo Stewart are playing.Most likely
1973 mutants.

Biggest question Is on Time travel do future character or characters go back to 1973 or will It be mind switch like original comic storyline.

Old 04-19-2013, 02:39 PM   #111
X-Maniac
High Evolutionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelrobbins View Post
We have 2 characters In both timeframes-Xavier and Magneto

Future-Wolverine,Storm,Kitty,Iceman,Rogue,Colossus

1973-Mystique and Beast plus Nixon and whoever Peter Dinklage Is playing

Unknown timeframe-Blink

We still don't know who Omar Sy and Booboo Stewart are playing.Most likely
1973 mutants.

Biggest question Is on Time travel do future character or characters go back to 1973 or will It be mind switch like original comic storyline.
I don't think it will be a mindswitch. There are limited options for characters in both timelines - Xavier, Magneto, Wolverine (except his past version may be absent), Mystique (but Rebecca hasn't been cast).

I wouldn't want to see McAvoy's Xavier have his mind overwritten by Stewart's Xavier. That stops the McAvoy version going on any sort of journey (character arc).

Old 04-19-2013, 03:04 PM   #112
Angamb
Banned User

its funny how almost all the net thought/think Omar will play Bishop, but marvelrobbins thinks "more likely he will be a 70's mutant" lol

I use to agree with some of your points, but there are others where I dont understand at all how you end with those own conclusions

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #113
SpideyFan866
Hero Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post

That was an April Fool's day joke.

SpideyFan866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:14 PM   #114
MarvelU
Side-Kick

Any other character will probably be secret which probably means Jean and Cyclops for cameos. Also I wonder why Singer hasn't announced who will be portraying Nixon, unless they use video footage of him, like they did with JFK in First Class.

MarvelU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:36 PM   #115
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
its funny how almost all the net thought/think Omar will play Bishop, but marvelrobbins thinks "more likely he will be a 70's mutant" lol

I use to agree with some of your points, but there are others where I dont understand at all how you end with those own conclusions
So if all the net thinks something, it's automatically true? Or that I should also think the same think as all the net?

With just 4 mutants, 2 for both the X-Men and the Brotherhood, it's not unlikely that he'll be a mutant from the past. Makes perfect sense. And since we don't have any official confirmation, it's all speculation. Just because you and everyone else like to speculate that he's Bishop, there might be others that like to think differently.

"Films are worth seeing period, even the bad ones." - Blue Sugar
Norek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 03:56 PM   #116
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

If It's a mind switch It will most likely be Xavier.Wolverine Is only other opotion since Rebecca Isn't a confirmed cast member.

The reason why I say Omar Sy Is likely playing a 1973 mutant Is due to fact If majority of film takes place In 1973 we only have 4 returnees from first Class + Peter Dinklage and
whoever Is playing Nixon.Blink could be In eather timeframe.It just makes sense that Omar and Booboo stewart are playing 1973 mutants.And Snych was considered for use In first Class.As was Sunspot.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:06 PM   #117
NanaT
X-Men United!

I don't think Omar Sy is playing Bishop personally and it does seem likely that he'd be playing a character, not necessarily a mutant, in the 1970' they're way too short on characters in that timeframe.

- PROFESSOR CHARLES XAVIER
NanaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 04:14 PM   #118
Angamb
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norek View Post
So if all the net thinks something, it's automatically true? Or that I should also think the same think as all the net?

With just 4 mutants, 2 for both the X-Men and the Brotherhood, it's not unlikely that he'll be a mutant from the past. Makes perfect sense. And since we don't have any official confirmation, it's all speculation. Just because you and everyone else like to speculate that he's Bishop, there might be others that like to think differently.
of course I know that, lol.

Its just that sometimes, I find funny some of his opinions, but its not a critic, just an observation, since he uses to say most of the time "its likely this, its unlikely that" in a way that make it seems that he and Bryan are close friends and knows perfectly what Bryan would do and wouldnt do.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:19 PM   #119
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Maniac View Post
I think its a given that it was just April Fools' Day joke but it was still part of his casting announcement so I mentioned it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post

Well I do think Omar is playing Bishop and I hope Booboo is playing Forge. All of the A-list X-Men members in the comics have already been introduced in the movies (even Psylocke), so its time that they introduce the B-list X-Men members just like what they did in FC by including Havok and Banshee in the movie.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:25 PM   #120
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvelU View Post
Any other character will probably be secret which probably means Jean and Cyclops for cameos. Also I wonder why Singer hasn't announced who will be portraying Nixon, unless they use video footage of him, like they did with JFK in First Class.
Its probably because the actor that is portraying Nixon is not the part of the "main cast" or at least he's not one of the cast members that we will be seeing in posters and promotional photos. I see the Nixon having the same amount of screentime with the president in X2.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:27 AM   #121
Super Jim
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double B View Post
There is only one present. It's post-X3.

And this movie will definitely not end by returning to the "regular" present AKA the one we were left with at the end of X3. That's the "****" Bryan wants to fix.

The whole concept behind Days of Future Past is that something gets changed in the past which alters the future. Also, wasn't there a report that Singer was talking with people about the way timelines work? I remember reading something about that...

This one is pretty simple. We have to have the regular present first, then something gets changed in the past (1973), which changes the future (which was the present) into something different than it was, which requires someone to go back to the past (either physically or mentally) to fix what was changed, which puts the future (present) back to the way it was (or something totally different/unexpected).

My point is that there isn't just "one present". That kind of defeats the whole idea of Days of Future Past.

Next, Omar Sy. Who else, besides Bishop, could he be playing? He is perfect for the role of Bishop, so that just makes logical sense.

If they go the cartoon style of Days of Future Past it won't be Kitty as the main character. As we all know in the comic it was Kate Pryde that sends her mind back to take over Kitty Pryde (in the past) to let the X-men know that they had to prevent the murder of Senator Kelly. Personally, I love Ellen Page, but I can't see her being the main catalyst. Plus the whole mind transferance through time is going to be confusing to many. I think it will be a physical time travel.

In the cartoons it was Xavier and/or Forge who realized that something was off and that they needed to send someone back to the past to fix it. In one cartoon Xavier wakes up in the future

In Wolverine and the X-men it was Xavier, who was in a coma for 20 years, who was able to communicate with Wolverine in the past. And although he was able to get the sentinal controlled future to change, it instead became the Age of Apocalypse.

In the X-men Animated Series it was Bishop who played the role of Kitty, but he was sent back in time because there was a traitor in the X-men. Nice spin on the concept and allowed Gambit to be the main culprit and allowed him to have to focus on proving his innocence.

Since we have heard nothing of Gambit, and again, Omar seems perfect for Bishop, I think it's going to be a combination of the above. It will likely be Bishop, from the future, sent back to the past to stop something major.

So again, we'll have the Present 1, the 1973 past, a Present 2 (changed because of something that happened in 1973) and once righted, back to Present 1 or a Present 3 (like an Age of Apocalypse).

Much of this is based on Omar Sy being Bishop. o if he is not Bishop, please feel free to give me another X character that he could be...

Old 04-22-2013, 11:06 AM   #122
Double B
Side-Kick

Quote:
My point is that there isn't just "one present". That kind of defeats the whole idea of Days of Future Past.
Except it doesn't.

The movie can still work with someone travelling to 1973 to do something which can prevent a horrible future.

The film may keep the part where something in the past has changed, which then causes this horrible future. But they may not.

The very last thing the movie is going to do is return to "Present 1" - the post-X3 timeline - by the end of the film, when the decisions made in that film are the "****" Bryan wants to fix.

Double B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #123
marvelrobbins
Side-Kick

The film Is likely to have 3 timeframes

1-The post Last Stand era with Sentinles

2-1973 where time travel from future tries to prevent the event which will
set In motion the future with sentinles

3-altered future at end of film where future with sentinels has been prevented and time travel allows them to correct things from Last Stand.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:43 PM   #124
Super Jim
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double B View Post
Except it doesn't.

The movie can still work with someone travelling to 1973 to do something which can prevent a horrible future.

The film may keep the part where something in the past has changed, which then causes this horrible future. But they may not.

The very last thing the movie is going to do is return to "Present 1" - the post-X3 timeline - by the end of the film, when the decisions made in that film are the "****" Bryan wants to fix.

Again, you are agreeing with me!

You say "the movie can still work with someone traveling to 1973 to do something which can prevent a horrible future", but if they "prevent a horrible future" then the future is different than the one we started with!

Your second point is a bit confusing since you seem to be contradicting yourself. How can you first say the movie can still work with someone traveling to 1973 to do something which can prevent a horrible future" and then say "The film may keep the part where something in the past has changed, which then causes this horrible future. But they may not."

The whole point of Days of Future Past is that something in the past needs to change, either preventing someone (The Brotherhood) from killing someone (Senator Kelly) or something else from happening (like something being invented).

And again I totally agree with you that Bryan would want to change the garbage that we were left with post X3. And what better way to do that than to change the past which creates a brand new future in which much of that garbage never happened! For all we know some of the cast may be in the movie for only a couple of minutes.

Here is something else to think about...

Post X3 Xavier is dead, but we have all sen the pictures with him in an X uniform. I also thought it was interesting how he wasn't in a wheelchair!

For old Xavier to be alive (since he was dead at the end of X3) we must be in a brand new present (future). This would mean that the movie effectively HAS TO have something in the past changed in order to have a brand new (Xavier alive) present (or future, depending on your point of view).

Simple this...

For Patrick Stewart to be in the movie he has to be alive post X3. For him to be alive post X3 something had to change in the past thus creating a new present.

That is what Days of Future Past is about... changing the past to change the future!

So something changes in the past (maybe an inhibitor collar is brought back to 1973) which creates a new Sentinal controlled future (present) in which Xavier is alive! Someone knows that something is... "off" (Xavier) and uses another mutant (Blink or Forge) to send someone (Bishop) back to fix it (stop the collar from getting into the hands of the government, bad guys, whoever!). Stopping it ends up creating a whole new timeline (future/present).

So in this scenario the movie would go back and forth as follows:

Present 1 (Post X3)
Past (1973 - Someone being killed/something changing the timeline)
Present 2 (Sentinal controlled - Xavier alive - new character(s))
Past 2 (1973 - Someone from future (Bishop) coming back to stop it)
Present 3 (Everything put right, or better yet, Age of Apocalypse)

If you disagree that there will be at least 2 presents/futures then simply explain to me how/why old Xavier can be in the movie in the new uniform we saw in the promo shot?

Old 04-22-2013, 02:51 PM   #125
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

Quote:

Post X3 Xavier is dead, but we have all sen the pictures with him in an X uniform. I also thought it was interesting how he wasn't in a wheelchair!

For old Xavier to be alive (since he was dead at the end of X3) we must be in a brand new present (future). This would mean that the movie effectively HAS TO have something in the past changed in order to have a brand new (Xavier alive) present (or future, depending on your point of view).

For the 1,947,384th time, Xavier was shown to be alive in his twin brother's body,who presumably is not paralyzed, at the end of X3. No need for an alternate future to explain this.