The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Smallville

Old 04-16-2013, 08:04 AM   #226
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

Default Re: The Best, The Worst of Smallville

I'm with you on that, seasons 1-4 are in my opinion better overall than the later seasons.
But the last seasons sure had a lot of bright spots too.

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
gohei_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:07 AM   #227
Johnny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia87 View Post
I absolutely love the first 5 seasons of the show. A lot of "freak of the week" episodes were very well-written back in the days. Visitor, Hereafter, Obsession, Skinwalker, Talisman were one of my favorite. I miss the good old Smallville.
I don't. I would always prefer an awesome, heroic, progressive Clark in stead of a whiny, sitting in his barn, "I can't tell Lana my secret" Clark.

Johnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 03:10 PM   #228
Maia87
Side-Kick

Back in season 1-5 the show was just about Clark Kent discovering his powers and meeting new friends. Nobody knew that the writers will later explore the Superman mythology with Brainiac, Zod, Darkseid, Zatanna....because of the "no flight no tight" rules.

Maia87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:23 PM   #229
Luane
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
I don't. I would always prefer an awesome, heroic, progressive Clark in stead of a whiny, sitting in his barn, "I can't tell Lana my secret" Clark.
Agreed, I'm watching season 1 and yes the Clark/Lana story bores me.

Luane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:02 PM   #230
Johnny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maia87 View Post
Back in season 1-5 the show was just about Clark Kent discovering his powers and meeting new friends. Nobody knew that the writers will later explore the Superman mythology with Brainiac, Zod, Darkseid, Zatanna....because of the "no flight no tight" rules.
And that's ok but Clark simply had no progress there character-wise. Or if he had some, every time he made a step forward, the next episodes they took him ten steps back. Later seasons don't have that. Clark learns from his mistakes, doesn't treat Lois like some perfect picture put on a pedestal like he did with Lana, and never mopes. He's a progressive character, he has sense of humor, he is relaxed, he's into the moment and he never lets others walk all over him out of fear he might hurt their feelings like he did in the past, or any of that stupid crap. He's just an awesome character the entire time. Clark is a joy to watch during those final seasons.

Old 04-17-2013, 02:00 PM   #231
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luane View Post
Agreed, I'm watching season 1 and yes the Clark/Lana story bores me.
Compared to later seasons Clark/Lana in season 1 is a joy to watch(slightly boring is better then annoying)

SV Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 02:31 PM   #232
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

Quote:
And that's ok but Clark simply had no progress there character-wise. Or if he had some, every time he made a step forward, the next episodes they took him ten steps back. Later seasons don't have that. Clark learns from his mistakes, doesn't treat Lois like some perfect picture put on a pedestal like he did with Lana, and never mopes. He's a progressive character, he has sense of humor, he is relaxed, he's into the moment and he never lets others walk all over him out of fear he might hurt their feelings like he did in the past, or any of that stupid crap. He's just an awesome character the entire time. Clark is a joy to watch during those final seasons.
Exactly, the only thing the first few seasons got right was lex. Clark didnt get interesting until season 4 when he got to interact with Lois. I love their fret few episodes together, it was such a refreshing change of pace for the show, finally somebody Clark can actually bounce his personality off of and has chemistry with. Honestly I loved season 4,sure it was really silly but after how bleak and dismal season 3 was I felt it was needed, also, i liked the kryptonian element hunt, i thought it had a cool fantasy/ raiders feel to it, I just wish they emphasized that a little bit more throughout the season, have a little more questing on Clark and Lex's part.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
DarkSovereignty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:00 PM   #233
Johnny
Side-Kick

I actually liked Season 3. It had some really dark tones, compared to the previous two seasons, and some great episodes like Exile, Memoria and Asylum. I enjoyed the first seasons, I just wasn't a fan of the almost non-existent character development for Clark.

Old 04-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #234
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

It would appear that I'm in the minority here, but I actually really liked the whole Davis bloom/ doomsday thing, though I do think that idea somebody posed earlier about him being a cop instead of an emt would have worked better thematically. I thought they improved soomsday as a character, at least conceptually, he's pretty much a walking gimmick in the comics.

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:27 AM   #235
gohei_
Infected by Pentapox

I really liked Davis Bloome as well.

I ask her during dinner, what's her top 3 favorite movies. If she doesn't list Star Wars as at least #2. I excuse myself to the bathroom and crawl out the window. :up:
gohei_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:29 PM   #236
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
I actually liked Season 3. It had some really dark tones, compared to the previous two seasons, and some great episodes like Exile, Memoria and Asylum. I enjoyed the first seasons, I just wasn't a fan of the almost non-existent character development for Clark.
I know I am the minority here but I hated the whole Calling-Exile run. It was the first real sign the producers had absolutely no clue how to write a show about Clark Kent/Superman.

It also started a bad pattern of Clark screwing up somehow leads to all his issues in the upcoming season

Old 04-21-2013, 06:01 PM   #237
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

Yeah the whole "jor el is a douche" thing was rather ill conceived from the get go. All it did was inject more forced drama into a show that was already Dawson's creek: x files edition.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:22 AM   #238
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

The Best: Lionel Luthor
The Worst: Lionel Luthor's long locks

Old 04-22-2013, 05:47 AM   #239
Johnny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSovereignty View Post
It would appear that I'm in the minority here, but I actually really liked the whole Davis bloom/ doomsday thing, though I do think that idea somebody posed earlier about him being a cop instead of an emt would have worked better thematically. I thought they improved soomsday as a character, at least conceptually, he's pretty much a walking gimmick in the comics.
Davis was a good addition, I liked him too. People have bad memories of him because of the finale and the whole Davis/Chloe/Jimmy thing, which sucked, yes. But Davis was an interesting character, I didn't think they can pull off Doomsday with a human form but they did. I for one, am glad he was a part of the show. That was Season 8 where everything changed anyway and it was basically a new beginning for Smallville, of which Davis was a good part, like I said. It's just disappointing that the bad finale and some of the Lana episodes left people with such sour taste after a season that was actually really good.

Old 04-22-2013, 11:24 AM   #240
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Davis was a good addition, I liked him too. People have bad memories of him because of the finale and the whole Davis/Chloe/Jimmy thing, which sucked, yes. But Davis was an interesting character, I didn't think they can pull off Doomsday with a human form but they did. I for one, am glad he was a part of the show. That was Season 8 where everything changed anyway and it was basically a new beginning for Smallville, of which Davis was a good part, like I said. It's just disappointing that the bad finale and some of the Lana episodes left people with such sour taste after a season that was actually really good.
I thought the Davis(+Chloe) stuff after Lana left was overkill personally. They could have had Doomsday show up at Bride and that be the big payoff for the character and the storyline would have been perfect but in the second half it was just to much Davis loves Chloe and struggles not showing his emotions to her, Jimmy has issues with Davis and Chloe, idiotic retcons involving Davis, Chloe Hide Davis in her basement, Chloe runs away with Davis. I am sorry I didn't care enough about Chloe or Davis that I needed them to be the focal point of most of the last 8 episodes, it just felt like something I would expect out of bad Lana plots from earlier seasons. The only difference was even with Bad Lana plots she never got so much focus for a large group of episodes bunched together. Chloe and Davis stuff basically should have been relegated to the b and c plotlines of most episodes instead of getting major focus like it did

To be perfectly honest as much as I dislike Power and Requiem I think Beast was the worst episode of Season 8. There is also a case for Eternal being worse then those 2 episodes(although all 4 are in my worst 12 episode list)

Last edited by SV Fan; 04-22-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:22 PM   #241
Johnny
Side-Kick

That is why I said the Chloe/Davis thing in the second part let people down. Still, no reason to hate this seasons for me. The good outweigh the bad by a long shot.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #242
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
That is why I said the Chloe/Davis thing in the second part let people down. Still, no reason to hate this seasons for me. The good outweigh the bad by a long shot.
Sorry I thought you were saying it was only the final. My beef like I said began right after Lana left with his storyline(Infamous) and 6 of the last 8 episodes he was part of don't rate that highly for me(all except Hex and Stiletto)

Old 04-22-2013, 05:09 PM   #243
Johnny
Side-Kick

I enjoyed Infamous. Turbulence was good too. Injustice on the other hand not so much.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:17 PM   #244
ironman29758
Side-Kick

Quote:
I enjoyed Infamous. Turbulence was good too. Injustice on the other hand not so much.
I feel Injustice would have been better if Livewire, Parasite and Neutron was in episodes like "Power"(perfect name for a Parasite introduction), actually have Randy Klein/Shadow Killer from Prey, call him Carl(Sands or Hammer/Shadow Thief and feature him in the Injustice episode, or wait until season 9 and 10 and really develop the Marionette Ventures/Legion of Doom Plot(combination of how they introduced Smallville Justice League, Young Justice Light and JLU Injustice League/Secret Society/Legion of Doom).

"Nazi zombies don’t wanna eat you just ‘cause they’re craving the protein. They do it ‘cause…they do it ‘cause they hate Americans, man. Talibans. They’re the Talibans of the zombie world." thanks TheNextNolan22 for reminding me how awesome Badger is
ironman29758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:14 PM   #245
ironman29758
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSovereignty View Post
Yeah the whole "jor el is a douche" thing was rather ill conceived from the get go. All it did was inject more forced drama into a show that was already Dawson's creek: x files edition.
Someone brought a good point up when they said Jor-el was basically Smallville Eradicator ( Smallville Jor-el A.I. started out being housed within Clark's spaceship, while the Eradictor's original form resembled Kal-El's spaceship, brainwashed Clark among others (Lindsey Harrison,Eradicator mindcontrolled 2 scientists into creating a Phantom Zone while Smallville simply had a Fortress crystal), genetically altered humans (Jonathan Kent,Lindsey Harrison, Jimmy Olsen, ), desires to turn Clark into an ideal Kryptonian, created a Fortress and merged with a human-Lionel Luthor in Smallville and Dr. David Connor in the comics.) combined with Richard Donner Fortress and the real Jor-El sent only his knowledge rather than his personality and seeing how pre season 5 Clark was more like Byrne and Christopher Reeve Clark(who had a fear if his Kryptonian side and was really not a fan of the Eradicator who did exactly what Jor-el A.I. did) while Post season 5 Clark was starting to accept his Kryptonian side(and at times tried to act more cold and distance based on most of the Kryptonians he have seen before truly balancing his Human/Kryptonian side) more and tried to accepted his Kryptonian side, to Chloe, Jonathan and Martha's distaste at times(but Clark season 5-8 wanted to be normal until Hex).

So honestly Smallville Jor-el is a combination of characters just like Chloe(Pre and Post Crisis Lana, Jimmy, Pete Ross, Ma and Pa Kent at times, Lois at times, and Barbara Gordon/Oracle),.Bart(Barry, Comic and DCAU Wally and comic Bart), Lex(Silver/Bronze Age Lex(specifically Elliot S. Maggin) raised by Post Crisis(specifically John Byrne) at the beginning type Lex), etc

"Nazi zombies don’t wanna eat you just ‘cause they’re craving the protein. They do it ‘cause…they do it ‘cause they hate Americans, man. Talibans. They’re the Talibans of the zombie world." thanks TheNextNolan22 for reminding me how awesome Badger is
Old 04-22-2013, 10:39 PM   #246
chumchees
Side-Kick

Season 8 was the 2nd worse after season 10. Chloe wore at her welcome in season 8. She was the worse part of Season nine. It is truly ridiculous seeing where she started from to were she ended up. In high school, they kind of tried to make it reasonable, by having her have friends/connections in certain places to get information. Then she all of a sudden become a expert hacker. Then she could create an untraceable backstory/passport/legal documents/etc. for Kara, that can fool Lex. Then hack into the government and their satellites to track Brainiac. Her Watchtower role is even more ridiculous, then her "scheme" to get Oliver on the "right" track, then making a big player like Rick Flag into a stooge. But this is not that shocking, after seeing Lana's journey on this show. I never liked the Lana character, but looking back at all 10 seasons, it is clear Chloe was the worse character.

I kind of went on a rant there, but the point I think i was trying to make is that Doomsday/Davis was horrible, and Chloe was a big part of that.

chumchees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:10 PM   #247
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Here is my breakdown of post Lana episodes in S8

Infamous - the Chloe/Davis stuff wasn't bad(as it gets in later episodes), but I could have lived without it. I didn't care for the A-plot of Clark telling Lois, then having to reverse time(it just felt like a cheap way to see how Lois reacts not thinking what a fool Clark looks like for not realizing that crap will go to poop if he reveals himself, even after Chloe basically pointed it out to him). If the episode had a better A-plot then I could have lived with the b-plot, but the b-plot didn't add anything positive to the episode.

Turbulence - Liked(but not loved) the Clark/Tess stuff but it felt like that was the secondary storyline. The Chloe/Davis/Jimmy stuff was terrible

Hex - fun episode with no mention of Davis. One of my favorites of the series to be honest

Eternal - boring for the most part and the retcons(trying to work Davis into the Storyline of Clark coming to Earth) were ridiculous

Stiletto - I liked the A-plot, the Chloe(and offscreen Davis) plot wasn't that good though, fact it was relegated to a small portion of the episode though didn't bother me much

Beast - hated the storyline, Clark I believed had like 12 minutes of screentime as we watch the Chloe and Davis show. Chloe running away with Davis was idiotic. The reason I rate this the worst episode of the season is if I break it down minute by minute there wasn't one minute of the episode I found entertaining(at least in the cases of Power or Requiem, while parts of those episodes were worse then stuff in Beast, I could at least pull like 3-5 minutes worth of entertaining stuff from each episode)

Injustice - watchable, but it felt like the Injustice league could have been used a better way. There is parts in the episode that are entertaining but it gets dragged down being tied to Chloe and Davis.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:23 AM   #248
SpideyVille
Walking out the Desert

Oh how I've missed the Smallville threads. I feel like so much as changed since these moved locations.

But anyway, I finally continued my watch of the entire series in the past couple of weeks. I stopped after Reckoning but now I'm midway through season 6, and I must say, I always labeled it as the worst season, but I actually appreciate it now. At the time, we all hated how bad it made Clark look, but now I think it was very necessary to show Clark's "downfall" because it really set up his ascension in in the futre. He was really at his lowest point, and like they say, before things can get better, they get worse.

Not to mention, I loved Ollie's first appearance when he was actually a superhero and not he wallowing pit of pity that he became in season 8 and 9. It also showed Lois how to handle being in a relationship where the hero's responsibility to the people comes first. But of course, it wasn't perfect. I didn't like the idea of Lex banging the love of Clark's life and the whole pregnancy angle, although I did like the twist at the end where Lana worked with Lionel to get info on Lex. But Lana's descent as a Luthor was not needed and helped ruin her character.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:07 PM   #249
ironman29758
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyVille View Post
Oh how I've missed the Smallville threads. I feel like so much as changed since these moved locations.

But anyway, I finally continued my watch of the entire series in the past couple of weeks. I stopped after Reckoning but now I'm midway through season 6, and I must say, I always labeled it as the worst season, but I actually appreciate it now. At the time, we all hated how bad it made Clark look, but now I think it was very necessary to show Clark's "downfall" because it really set up his ascension in in the futre. He was really at his lowest point, and like they say, before things can get better, they get worse.

Not to mention, I loved Ollie's first appearance when he was actually a superhero and not he wallowing pit of pity that he became in season 8 and 9. It also showed Lois how to handle being in a relationship where the hero's responsibility to the people comes first. But of course, it wasn't perfect. I didn't like the idea of Lex banging the love of Clark's life and the whole pregnancy angle, although I did like the twist at the end where Lana worked with Lionel to get info on Lex. But Lana's descent as a Luthor was not needed and helped ruin her character.
Funny thing is, I made a thread about how I view Clark in season 6 and 7 as leading into the Clark of post season 8 and how it wasn't a lightswitch.

The thing I now noticed about Oliver, albeit being an interesting character and a good leader at times and he was in some ways interested in social justice and helping the oppressed like comic Ollie, was that he was more or less obsessed with the Luthor's(episodes like Sneeze, Rage, Bride, Requiem, Echo highlights this point), especially Lex(who was understandably a big threat when they were building a Superhuman army) and taking down rich corrupt people (with the League taking down a few criminals and helping a few people when needed when they were doing their own thing and not taking down LexCorp bases as seen in that Smallville Legends: Justice and Doom comic) even before he found out Lionel killed his parents it just pushed his obsession with Lex over the edge(killing Lex and guilt, the death of Jimmy and the events in Roulette, training Mia Dearden and running into Vordigan/Dark Archer/Merlyn as well as the JSA brought him to a more season 6/iconic Green Arrow type personality again with mainly the help of Clark and Chloe).

While Clark didn't veiw Lex as that much of a threat and an important villain at times and when he wasn't pining over Lana, he was dealing with Brainiac, Phantom Zone Prisoners, etc. until he saw an Alternate world universe without him in it and Lex was the president who destroyed the planet leading to Brainiac bringing back Zod in "Apocalypse" and the events of "Arctic" and "Odyssey" leading Clark to realize how dangerous Lex really is unchecked and how he should have been more proactive.

But after they had to find Clark and Chloe, Clark. When Clark, Martian Manhunter and Chloe officially joined and took a more active part in helping the League and a few events in season 8-the VRA/death of Hawkman in season 10 is when they started become more focused in taking down alien threats and protecting the world as well as becoming a better team/actual Justice League. Clark, even in season 5-7 or was acting like a "I work better alone" type was better at inspiring people(episode like "Bulletproof" and post Justice Society episodes like "Escape" and "Checkmate" and "Salvation" showed him really becoming more of a team member) into becoming better people/heroes actually trying to save the world and sometimes rallying them together when they were needed ("Ryan", "Ageless", "Run", "Aqua", "Hex", "Idol", "Salvation", "Patriot", "Booster" are a few examples) while Oliver was better at giving them a purpose and motivation by giving them a costume, a Superhero codename, and a target in the form of taking down Lex and his evil plans and destroy LuthorCorp/LexCorp bases around the world, and be a part of a team and using their assets(Bart using super speed to steal, Aquaman using his abilities to protect the environment and destroying government and LexCorp bases to protect sealife, Victor cybernetic and willing to commit suicide, etc) and to me they officially became a team in Justice when they had to save Clark and Bart and incidentally take down the LexCorp 33.1 base and found out about 33.1 bases all around the world(made out of people who were still in many ways loners and sometimes do things off the grid which Oliver admitted Aquaman did from time to time in Patriot until meeting the JSA and the founding of Watchtower, Chloe kept them connected and really organized the team).

In fact if it wasn't for Oliver, Tess Mercer and Chloe's interference, Clark could have separated Doomsday and Davis and put him in the Phantom Zone without the deaths and destruction.(but seeing as how Davis was without Doomsday the results would have varied honestly).

Old 04-27-2013, 09:57 AM   #250
Indy1Jones
The Cuomo

Quote:
Yeah.

Indy1Jones is offline   Reply With Quote