Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

View Poll Results:
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 12:13 PM   #51
thalidomide
The Enemy

Default Re: Official Iron Man 3 rate/review thread.

Quote:
I didn't like it as much as Iron Man 2
lolwut?

Old 04-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #52
MahvelBaby!
Side-Kick

^Now I'm no hater of IM2 I derive some sort of enjoyment from it, but lol, but hey opinions are a strannnge thine

Old 04-19-2013, 03:14 PM   #53
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalidomide View Post
lolwut?
Basically the twist is leaving some fans maaaaaaaad.

It's a Shane Black movie with Iron Man in it, instead of an Iron Man movie made by Shane Black. Which sounds amazing to me, but I guess people who want direct adaptations of some of the comic stories don't like that

Old 04-19-2013, 04:05 PM   #54
jacobed
Banned User

I don't want a direct adapation. I just thought he made a bad movie. Theres about 3 twists arguably 4 and I thought they were all awful. Handled poorly, they don't serve the story at all, they're just there because he thought they'd be clever but they're not

Old 04-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #55
Visceral
Side-Kick

did you post a full review jacobed?

“I need to know that every single one of you would die for the man next to him.”
Old 04-19-2013, 04:35 PM   #56
shuffleboard
Side-Kick

Just a couple more of blogger reviews: republicofcinema, anthonyjohnmaxwell

Old 04-19-2013, 04:45 PM   #57
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

great reviews! I think this is definitely turning out to be the best 3rd installment of a superhero movie (even if it is sort of the 4th installment).

"I'm going to show you something beautiful. Everyone screaming, for mercy. You want to protect the world, but you don't want it to change. You're all puppets tangled in strings.......strings....... but now I'm free. There are no strings on me."

- Ultron V
Old 04-19-2013, 05:08 PM   #58
ShadowBoxer
Side-Kick

I find it hard to believe anyone would think this movie is weaker than Iron Man 2. Seems kinda like something a troll would say. Don't get me wrong I don't hate Iron Man 2 its decent but it's the weakest marvel movie to date. The trailers for this look better than anything shown in Iron Man 2. I will see May 3rd...

Last edited by ShadowBoxer; 04-19-2013 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:14 PM   #59
PokeJ
Side-Kick

Be interesting to me if the Timeout review from Huddleston will be a rotten/fresh.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:17 PM   #60
Marvel
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuffleboard View Post
I think this might be the first official review -- The Daily Telegraph.
"You have to admire Disney and Marvel Studios’ gumption: with the Avengers franchise, of which this film is the seventh installment, they have effectively brought back the matinee serial, and have found an enormous and appreciative audience for it."

That is so very true and a key to all of this. General audiences can't wait to see where it goes from here. Marvel really did bring the entire world in to the comic book mentality!

Old 04-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #61
MessiahDecoy123
Psychological Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
great reviews! I think this is definitely turning out to be the best 3rd installment of a superhero movie (even if it is sort of the 4th installment).
Wait...How is it the fourth?

Old 04-19-2013, 09:14 PM   #62
Broseph44
We Are Groot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiahDecoy123 View Post
Wait...How is it the fourth?
He's counting Avengers cause that's Iron Man's 3rd appearance so far and now in IM3 his fourth overall.

I believe in Ben Affleck.

Hal: Were we ever truly friends?
Sinestro: That’s the tragedy of all of this, Jordan. Hal, we’ll always be friends.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:23 PM   #63
MessiahDecoy123
Psychological Anarchy

Oh okay, I figured as much but wanted to make sure.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:48 PM   #64
Superhero 101
DESI

For those who have seen it how long is the third act or how long is the finale

Old 04-19-2013, 09:53 PM   #65
Marvel
Side-Kick

I love this one on IMDB

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1300854/reviews-5

The Perfect Focus and The Perfect Film. Superb In Every Way!

Quote:
Nothing says cool better than "genius, billionaire, playboy, philanthropist"! After the huge success of the Avengers and the high quality of this film, there's not a hero more at the top of his game than Tony Stark a.k.a. Iron Man.

By now everyone knows that Tony Stark's powers all come from his suit of armor. That along with his money, genius and unmatched wit are what make him larger than life. Tony's intellect is the key to his super powers and the brilliant foundation for this third movie. Hot on the heels of The Avengers, this was the perfect time to focus on Tony Stark the hero and the man. Seeing Tony interact with Thor, Bruce Banner and Captain America was indeed awesome but this back to the basics and return to Tony's world is just what we needed to see at this juncture. They perfectly remind the audience that his intellect that is really his super power. The amazing armor advancements we see in this film all stem from that fact. Yes, over three other wonderful films we've seen Tony exhibit an unfathomable understanding of technology but nothing like what's on display in this film.

Yes, there's a great deal of technology and action but it's wonderfully balanced by character and drama. Tony's command of sarcasm and his genuine wit have never been used better than it has been in this movie. RDJ charms the camera in every scene but what really brings out Tony's charm and gives the hero's story that extra interest is the character of Pepper Potts. Their relationship certainly has grown over three movies and in Iron Man 3, Pepper becomes even more important. It's one of the many reasons why this film lands above every other third film in a franchise that I've ever seen. Tony's love for Pepper and his obsession with technology and protecting her with that technology is moving and quite deep. It certainly is unique for a summer blockbuster to deliver those kinds of layers.

The stakes are very high as everyone from Pepper to Happy Hogan to the President of the United States is in danger from what will be considered the best bad guy to hit the screen in a long time. The Mandarin is amazing. He's not a jump off the screen kick your butt type of cheesy villain at all. He's crafty, diabolical and truly menacing. Speaking of layers, the ending of the movie will amaze for its plot as much as for its intensity and that's all I'm going to say about that subject. Also, Pepper is not a "damsel in distress" by any means in this film. This is where Iron Man lands above most other characters (Spider-Man for one). Pepper's roll and how she deals with the danger and what she becomes over the course of the film will surprise but please a lot of people.

Every side relationship works here, even the new characters that are introduced. The kid from Tennessee that interacts with Tony will get a LOT of buzz but I was just as impressed with the Rhodey stuff. That relationship is SO much better here than in Iron Man 2. Unlike Iron Man 2, there are incredible new characters that actually mean something to this plot and not to the next film down the line. There's a real focus on Tony's mind, body and spirit and the importance of protecting the most important relationships in life. It offers great balance to go along with great fun. This is NOT a dark brooding film at all which is great. It has many tones and does give us the humor and fun to go with a more complex take on the character. They just nailed it here.

In terms of where they go with future movies, who cares at this point? Sure everyone will want more after seeing this movie but that's Avengers 2 problem and something to dream about later. Right now, enjoy this thrill ride because I know I sure did.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:00 PM   #66
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel View Post
I love this one on IMDB

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1300854/reviews-5

The Perfect Focus and The Perfect Film. Superb In Every Way!
Sounds good. Even with the plot twist that had people nerdraging last night, I'm sure it's going to be well-liked by many viewers.

Old 04-19-2013, 10:35 PM   #67
Quasimod0
Bell-Ringer

The thing is that most people don't know who the mandarin even is. So they don't have any preconceived notions of who they think he should be. Only us needs would be upset about him not being as he is in the comics. Personally I'm cool with whatever they do to him. I'm sure Kingsley gives a great performance

Old 04-19-2013, 11:03 PM   #68
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Mandy's relative lack of awareness is going to work to his favor here. If what they did to him was done to, say, the Joker, I think even the casual audience would've been peeved. But the casuals couldn't care less about Mandy, thank the lords!

For the first time Iron man having mostly crap villains is a good thing!

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Old 04-20-2013, 01:11 AM   #69
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBoxer View Post
I find it hard to believe anyone would think this movie is weaker than Iron Man 2. Seems kinda like something a troll would say. Don't get me wrong I don't hate Iron Man 2 its decent but it's the weakest marvel movie to date. The trailers for this look better than anything shown in Iron Man 2. I will see May 3rd...
How about you watch the movie first, at least those people who gave the movie a weak review saw the movie. Plus Trailers can be deceiving.

"Kill me before I kill someone else" - X3
"Where else would I be?" - X4
www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
Old 04-20-2013, 02:37 AM   #70
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Another positive review, this one from London City Nights:

Quote:
The third in the series is usually where superhero films come a cropper. After getting the origin story out of the way in the first film, and kicking up the action a notch in the second, the third always seems to go a bit awry. There's logical reasons for this happening: they range from the director of the first two departing, main character development running out of steam, using up all the good villains or even simply becoming a touch over-confident and throwing too much at the screen, knowing that it's your last shot with the property. So, this film has a lot of expectations to shift; even great film series tend to lose their lustre by this point. With this in mind it's important to note Iron Man 3 wears its 'threequel' status proudly - after all, when was the last time a summer blockbuster came out with an unadorned '3' attached to it?

It can get away with this confidence, because practically every minute of Iron Man 3 is self-assured and most importantly, entertaining as hell. This is the fifth time Robert Downey Jr has played Tony Stark since 2008, and he inhabits the role so perfectly it's borderline impossible to imagine anyone else in the role (or for that matter, audiences getting tired of watching him). Stark is a charismatic and showy role that allows Downey Jr to really cut loose with his eccentricities: a skewed hero, but nonetheless one with obvious reserves of determination. He was easily the best thing about The Avengers and arguably, the dramatic lynchpin and popular centre of the multi-billion dollar Marvel film franchise.

The only fly in the ointment with Tony Stark is that he seems to repeat the same dramatic arc over and over again. Watching a character learn responsibility and humility twice in a row cheapens him a bit, and though we got to see a slightly more mature Stark in The Avengers it suffered from much the same redemptive character cliches. Fortunately, Iron Man 3 begins right where his last appearance left off. This is a Tony Stark visibly altered by his experiences, physically and emotionally vulnerable in a different, complex and more satisfying way than before.

<snip>

But the absolute shining star here, killing it with every single line is Ben Kingsley. He's the villain, the weirdly non-culturally specific Mandarin. I can't really speak too much about his performance without spoiling things, but suffice to say, every line that comes out of his mouth is gold. He is by a country mile the best villain in the Marvel film franchise, subverting the audience's expectations in every single scene he's in. The villains in most superhero films are playing Whack-A-Mole; the Mandarin is playing chess.

The subversion of expectations is what makes this so much fun. Shane Black takes obvious pleasure in leading us to believe one thing is going to happen, then pulling the rug out from under us. When the audience laughs out loud in this film, they are as much laughing at themselves as what's happening in the film. This light-hearted 'pop' tone is absolutely perfect for a summer blockbuster - the tone achieved throughout Iron Man 3 is what every other Marvel film has been trying to sustain.

<snip>

This film comes pretty close to my vision of an idealised summer blockbuster. It's a jack of all trades: a perfect balance of comedy, action, science-fiction and character drama that should please pretty much anyone that watches it. I've been pretty middling in my opinion of Marvel Studio films; I tend to see them as fast food films that play it as safe as they can with the property, taking as few risks as possible. Iron Man 3 is my favourite Marvel film by far - don't be under any illusions that's it's a ground-breaking piece of cinema - but by the standards of the superhero genre it's quite outstanding.
The entire review is a good read.

Old 04-20-2013, 05:18 AM   #71
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers

apologies for all caps:

I AM SEEING IRON MAN 3 EVEN EARLIER, MY SISTER GOT PRESS SCREENING TICKETS!

I'M SEEING IT MONDAY NIGHT AT 6:30 (SUNDAY IN AMERICA) INSTEAD OF WEDNESDAY AT 12:00 AM!!!

SO MUCH HAPPY!!!!

www.redlettermedia.com
Old 04-20-2013, 05:55 AM   #72
thalidomide
The Enemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repulsor Blast View Post
apologies for all caps:

I'M SEEING IT MONDAY NIGHT AT 6:30 (SUNDAY IN AMERICA) INSTEAD OF WEDNESDAY AT 12:00 AM!!!

SO MUCH HAPPY!!!!

Lucky

Old 04-20-2013, 06:03 AM   #73
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers

In 47 hrs i'll be watching it!

i'll spoiler tag my reactions when i get home from the screening

ive been avoiding spoilers for weeks now, including tv spots and clips obviously, so until monday night my time, i bid you all adieu *turns head* (joke for any craig ferguson fans out there)

www.redlettermedia.com
Old 04-20-2013, 06:13 AM   #74
ironman_rick
Side-Kick

Awesome reviews...

I am gonna catch this movie on the 26th . Can't wait

Old 04-20-2013, 06:17 AM   #75
Vartha
Mod of Thunder
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repulsor Blast View Post
apologies for all caps:

SO MUCH HAPPY!!!!
SWEET! glad to hear RB!!

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Closed Thread