The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Old 04-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #76
Snikt8
X

Default Re: The Ongoing Bought/Thought! 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTStarkiller View Post
I was looking for someone to post about the ending. I see that we posted at the same time, JH.

For some reason I thought Jean was in one of those two panels where they're all looking behind them (which tells us it's not Wolverine, young Scott, Kitty, or Storm). I'm thinking the likely choice probably is Jean now, but Hank was my first hunch since, as Steve mentioned, it'd be a juicy move to defy the present day Hank.
My first thought was Jean....but having it be Hank would be a very nice twist.....

Snikt8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #77
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

Indestructible Hulk was disturbing for obvious reasons, but I'm banking on this being an alternate version of Asgard with a wonky version of Mjolnir at this point. If it's revealed that this is canon 616 Mjolnir from sometime in canon 616 Thor's past, I will most assuredly be breaking things. Many, many things. But, aside from that, the issue was fun. Simonson's still a force to be reckoned with in the comic industry. The man's style is totally unique and looks f***ing amazing on pretty much everything I've ever seen it applied to. Modern coloring techniques only help it pop and be even more dazzling than it was in the '80s.

Thanos Rising was pretty good. Bit of a slow burn, but I like the insight into Thanos' youth. He and Loki should get together sometime and talk about their raging parental issues. I'm curious about who the girl with face paint is; I don't know a whole lot about Thanos' backstory other than that he's Starfox's brother and one of Titan's Eternals, so I have no idea if Face Paint Girl is someone totally new or someone I'm supposed to recognize. Either way, she's intriguing, since she seems to know stuff about Thanos that's hidden even from Thanos at this point. The last page was pretty awesome, too.

Old 04-06-2013, 01:09 AM   #78
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Exclamation Re: The Ongoing Bought/Thought! 2013

The weekly spoilerfication to kick off April!

DREAD'S BOUGHT/THOUGHT FOR 4/3/13:

SUPER-DINOSAUR #18: It certainly is strange when a superhero title about talking dinosaurs becomes the safer title in Robert Kirkman's library. In this issue, Derek Dynamo, Super-Dino, his father and the rest scale the fortress of their enemy Max Maximus to rescue Derek's long kidnapped mother. While they appear to succeed, Derek still has no memory of her, and she remains comatose. Maximus' clone "Minimus" has now evolved into the vicious Tyrannosaurus X and has staged an attack on the Stature of Liberty - apparently taking lessons in villainy from the Shredder circa "TMNT: TURTLES IN TIME". This is certainly a simple book which sticks to its theme of dinosaurs and a lot of armored gadgets. Jason Howard's artwork is as great as ever on this series, which may seem simple but is far better than many animated programs on cable right now. This remains a title I like (and more than I did HAUNT), but rarely one I eagerly anticipate every month. Given how low sales have fallen, unless the trades or digital copies are selling like hotcakes, I wonder if this series will outlast the previous collaboration between these two, the superior (but far more violent) ASTOUNDING WOLF-MAN - which called it a run after 25 issues. This series might actually be below the Top 300 by than, and while creator owned means creator risk, surely someone has to make a buck off this in the end. While it was good that Kirkman put his money where his mouth was in regards to "all ages" comics, it is a shame this couldn't sell even as well as DC Comics' "Young Justice" series.

AGE OF ULTRON #4: Another issue of action and plot progression by writer Brian M. Bendis and artist Bryan Hitch, with Paul Neary on inks and Paul Mounts on colors. Which character is Bendis' favorite becomes obvious when She-Hulk is killed off in three pages but Luke Cage not only fights off a squad of Ultron robots, but survives being struck by a nuke for over a week because it suits the plot. All of the heroes gather to the Savage Land, the location of convenience from another of Bendis' events, "Secret Invasion", where they meet up with Ka-Zar and Red Hulk proves to be a paranoid jerk even after an apocalypse. Hitch's artwork is a unique blend which can be both amazingly beautiful and details in some pages and panels, yet seem obviously rushed in others. Bendis' dialogue has evolved past simply hitting "copy and paste" for pages on end and is now involves characters finishing each others' sentences. All in all, another standard issue for this entirely random seeming alternate universe gambit which is overpriced and overlong. It is neither terrible nor essential.

INDESTRUCTIBLE HULK #6: Compared to "Daredevil", this may be considered writer Mark Waid's "other" major title at Marvel Comics right now, although by no means does this mean it is bad. In fact, this is probably the best start of a run on the main Hulk series since writer Greg Pak called it a run years ago. For this latest arc, legendary artist Walt Simonson (best known for his epic run on "Thor" in the 1980's) alongside colorist Andres Mossa teams with Waid for a venture into - where else - Asgard. At the behest of SHIELD, Dr. Banner and his eclectic team of lab assistants with secrets to hide turn a sliver of Uru metal into a portal to the realm of Asgard. A trek to find another "magical" element becomes an adventure when Frost Giants and Thor himself turn up. The mystery here is why Thor seems to be in an older costume with no memory of ever having met Banner, or of current "Midguard" in general. Simonson's artwork is clearly of another generation than many artists now - such as Lenil Yu, the previous one on this title - but it remains classic and dynamic for over the top action. Waid's attempt to drag the Hulk out of the bog he'd been in for years with a bold new premise is working wonders, even if it probably isn't quite as memorable as his work with the "man without fear" - at least not yet.

SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #7: It has been roughly a month since this replacement title for "Amazing Spider-Man" was chronicled in this review column, much less earned the top spot for a week. That isn't to say that writer Dan Slott has gotten worse with honing his craft; it is simply that the last few issue or so weren't up to their usual caliber among stiff competition. Former regular artist on "Amazing Spider-Man" Humberto Ramos has returned and Dr. Octopus' tenure within the body of the web-slinger has continued to deteriorate. Not only is he still talking like a Republic Serial villain, but he's become far more violent a hero to the point of brutalizing villains for performing pranks (in costume or civilian form), and even murdering one of them. Despite some influence, the "specter" or will of Peter Parker can mostly watch as this spiral continues downward; thankfully this is the issue which kicks things up a notch compared to the last.

Much as with previous issues, one of Spider-Man's regular enemies has returned to the fore for the purpose of the latest arc or issue. In this case, it's the ever complicated Dr. Eli Wirtham, a.k.a. Cardiac - who is probably more of an anti-hero than a villain. An electric powered cybernetic being whose goal is to punish corrupt corporations (those involved in the medical profession in particular) as well as treat the forgotten regardless of the cost, he's one of those figures whose goal may be noble, but whose means make him a criminal. In this issue's case, Cardiac is running an underground clinic to treat the poor and homeless, but needs to steal a hi-tech item from a police storage warehouse full of super villain tools and inventions. When the object of his desire turns out have been invented by Doc Ock in the first place, that sends the "superior" Spider-Man on his usual rampages. Meanwhile, Peter Parker begins to take more drastic actions to retake his body, and the Avengers finally notice something is off about their ally and stage an intervention - which soon becomes a confrontation. After "Secret Invasion", impostors are a very real and dear threat to them. Among them are Spider-Woman and Black Widow, who have been involved in Slott's stories in the recent past.

Slott does an excellent job of using thought balloons and good pacing to catch readers up on a relatively obscure character like Cardiac in terms of motivations and powers in only a few pages, and as usual sets up an interesting status quo for him - same has he did for Roderick Kingsley or even the Jackal. The action as paced by Ramos (along with inks by Victor Olazaba and colors by Edgar Delgado) is quite good, even if he (like many artists) struggles with Capt. America's new and needlessly complicated costume. More to the point, this issue moves the overall story arc along by a good leap, which is an improvement from the previous issue. This entire "mind-swap" story is in essence a gimmick; the trick is that thus far Slott has executed it quite well for the most part. There have been hiccups - Mary Jane has been more passive than pro-active, and only Carlie Cooper has seemed to deduce the obvious - but on the whole this has been an interesting story line which has brought life to a tired cliche. The balance is not extending it too long, and by this stage that risk is getting closer.

The next several issues will be critical in that regard, but if this issue is any indicator, Slott still has some tricks up his webs yet. Despite what Marvel brass have said, undoing the web-slinger's marriage hasn't magically solved the character's editorial problems, hence why gimmick story lines such as this still rule the day; however, Slott's mostly solo tenure on this title since winter 2010 has been mostly a boon to the series. Hopefully this story doesn't destroy more than it creates, but is should be a wild ride regardless.

VENOM #33: It took writer Cullen Bunn some time (roughly an arc or two), but by this stage he has really hit a stride upon making this title his own. He is joined by artist Declan Shalvey with colorist Lee Loughridge which picks up from the last issue in regards to Flash Thompson/Agent Venom setting up shop in Philly to start a new life. Unfortunately, many of the problems regarding his symbiote and tormented psyche have followed him, as well as an old enemy in Toxin - who is the previous Venom, Eddie Brock. While Thompson stays in touch with Beast (from his "Secret Avengers" days), he attends a local alcoholics anonymous meeting to gain some semblance of therapy to deal with his issues. It is a nice contrast to the rest of the issue, which involves Toxin running into "the Cannibal", another freak creation of alien technology. The angle for Thompson is to capture the inner turmoil of him as a very flawed person as well as the often bizarre and violent adventures he has as Venom, and Bunn has seemed to dial into this lately. It is encouraging to see as this title nears its third year.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:41 PM   #79
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

COMIC REVIEWS APRIL 10 2013

Uncanny X-men #4: It's an issue with decent writing, but horrible art. We get more insight into why the Cuckoos went with Cyclops, and more focus on the Xavier school students. This issue was completely dependent on ANXM, but I guess most people who read this probably also read All New. The telepathic conversation between Emma and the Cuckoos was good. I was happy to see that Bendis didn't just "forget" that the Cuckoos have been estranged from Emma for a while now. The Cuckoos talked as if they never met adult Jean back in Morisson's run, so that was weird. Emma also stood up for Jean a little.

As I figured, Angel was the one to join Cyclops. He probably has the most reason to. He hates being at the Jean Grey School and is basically stuck under Jean's telepathic tyranny there He's also arguably the most boring and most expendable of the 05. The reveal was very lacklustre in this issue, since it jumps to the point where Cyclops' team returns to base. The Xavier kids are still... there. I like Eva quite a bit, and I'm warming up to the shape-shifter. I don't care for the healer at all, since I don't know who he is as a character yet. And Goldballs is just stupid.

The art was quite bad this issue. Everyone looked like Dolan memes.

Uncanny Avengers #6: A fairly uncontroversial issue compared to #5 and it only features Thor from the main team. Remender has the best handle on Apocalypse mythos since I've started reading comics, so I'm glad he's playing to his strengths here instead of what he did last issue. Kang manipulates Apocalypse and Thor into fighting, and Thor's weapon gets enchanted with Celestial damaging capabilities, which will have negative consequences for the future. Thor's been treated fairly well in Marvel Now, and this spotlight issue on him is pretty good. I like all the Thor stuff, though I hated Wolverine's ancestor, and this whole thing about making Wolverine apocalypse's archenemy. Um. Cable?

The art was fantastic. I've always enjoyed Acuna's art, and can't wait to see him tackle the rest of the team.

Thor God of Thunder #7: Probably my favourite issue of the week. It was beautiful, and a fairly interesting issue for one that didn't have a whole lot happen. I loved seeing the interaction between the two Thors. I love that old King Thor has such disdain for his beardless younger self haha. I'm loving this arc, and am looking forward to where this bomb leads us. This arc is long and it feels refreshing to read something that doesn't seem to be targeted for trade readers. I feel like I've been on this journey with Thor for forever now.

Avengers #9: Hickmen's story ideas are very inventive. At least for me. The origin sites are becoming sentient and each have different traits to make the earth a living being. It's just crazy and can't wait to see where it goes. I do have mixed feelings for the Avengers behaviour in this issue. While Starbrand has been quite sketchy, putting him in a box to deal with later seems lazy and unfair. I felt genuinely bad for him. And Adam didn't even do anything to warrant his imprisonment. I was starting to like these characters. But i'm sure they will be back. Next issue needs to give us more Sam and Bobby!

Fantastic Four #6: I'm getting really bored by this title. I have been for a while, hoping things pick up, but it hasn't. Maybe it's because I've never read the F4 before, or maybe it's because it's written as a family friendly comic, but I just can't get into that much. It's a fine issue. Competently done. Action. Crazy science. Family stuff. But nothing is hooking me. It's not good or bad. We'll see how much longer I last.

Last edited by Mad Ones; 04-11-2013 at 09:47 PM.
Mad Ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:51 AM   #80
Themanofbat
Never Mind the Buttocks...

Avenging Spider-Man #19 was simply a wonderful comic. Featuring SpOck & SleepWalker, Marvel's version of how Sandman should have been done (that old slogan still makes me snicker), it's a fantastic old school Marvel comic story featuring a flash-in-the-pan 90's creation, a made-up villain, and some absolutely fantastic character development, as well as progressing the story we will eventually read in Superior #9. In a very short period of time, Yost is quickly becoming one of my favourite writers.

Read The Amazing Spider-Man...100% pure Spider-Man Goodness...

"It's disturbing when young people believe right-wing political hype. It's like rock n' roll never happened."

Play Spider-Man Trivia here...
Themanofbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:38 PM   #81
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Thor God of Thunder #7 was another spectacular issue. Ribic's art is just simply stunning. Every month, this book and Avengers go back and forth for the title of absolute best comic Marvel currently produces. This story has been a bit of a slow burn but Aaron is doing an amazing job weaving this whole thing together. It's been an epic journey through multiple time lines so far.

runawayboulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:57 AM   #82
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Ribic's art is way better than the substitute guy they had in the last issue. I hope they don't have to replace him often.

Proud Co-founder of Gambitís Royal Flush
squeekness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #83
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

I think Butch Guice is great. I had no problem with him as a fill in. His work on Cap and Winter Soldier was terrific. I'm glad to see that Ribic only needed to take a 1 issue break though. That's a good sign to come.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:13 AM   #84
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

It's just so.. jarringly different. I wish they could have found someone a little more similar in style.

Proud Co-founder of Gambitís Royal Flush
squeekness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 01:04 PM   #85
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

I was ok with it because it was a Gorr specific story, so if Ribic had to be replaced on any issue that was the best one. It was a bit of a narrative and artistic break.

Old 04-15-2013, 02:00 AM   #86
Dread
TMNT 1984-2009

Exclamation Re: The Ongoing Bought/Thought! 2013

Spoilers, etc.

DREAD'S BOUGHT/THOUGHT FOR 4/10/13:

ARCHER & ARMSTRONG #9: Fred Van Lente's relaunch of Valiant Entertainment's relaunch of a beloved 90's era "buddy action series" reaches the end of its second arc. Considering how many comics still seem to follow the "six issues or bust" mantra of pacing, the fact that this series has seen two arcs in nine issues is actually quite compact. The titular duo as well as Gilad (Armstrong's equally immortal but angrier brother) and the latest Geomancer, Kay McHenry, have their final showdown against the forces of the nihilistic Null in Greenland (of all places). As a series which enjoys mixing in long term conspiracy theory with satire and exaggeration, we see that Gilad has been fighting this cult which seeks to undo reality for centuries, even in the groovy 1960's. In this issue, there's a doomsday machine to attempt to reverse which is defended by "the Last Enemy", which is some entity which possesses people via a bizarre equation. Unfortunately, it has possessed Archer, who is Armstrong's pal and probably the greatest fighter on earth. As usual, there is a mix between action, comedy, and suspense so that it remains an enjoyable ride without taking itself either too seriously or becoming an outright comedy. The final two pages sow the seeds for the next arc, and on the whole this has been a success. Artist Emanuela Lupacchino (this time with aid from Alvero Martinez) has taken over well from Clayton Henry, making the book her own. It is a shame when all of the cult fans who loved Marvel's "Incredible Hercules" seem to be more silent about this book, as it's arguably just as fun a ride.

SAGA #12: Since debuting last year, Image Comics' latest creator owned series by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples have taken the comic book world as well as the direct market by storm. The previous issue sold within the top 35 sellers for March, moving over 50,000 copies in its first print. Most of the previous issues have been reprinted at least once, and it is outselling no end of "big two" publications such as "The Flash" or "Wolverine & the X-Men" or "Iron Man" or "Superman" or even Dark Horse's latest (and last) "Star Wars" comic series. In less than a year it has become Image's second best seller, right behind "The Walking Dead" (which needed many years and a TV show to march up the sales charts). It's become an instant critical darling and deservedly so, as it mixes imaginative science fiction concepts with classic and detailed character drama and detail.

While picking up from the previous issue, this is a tale which focuses on one of the series antagonists for its monthly yarn. Prince Robot IV, a member of the royal family working with the planet Landfall, has long been dispatched to locate and kill the series stars Alana (of Landfall) and Marko (a member of their enemy race) and their cross breed daughter. So far he has seemingly been outrun by the mercenary "the Will" who was hired for the same task by Marko's own irritated people. This issue showcases that while the mercenaries may have been noisier and more violent, Prince Robot IV has been on his own reasoned investigation, tracking down the author of a book which helped inspire the star crossed couple's love. While this has seemed like a fruitless subplot, the payoff plays out in this issue with a dramatic confrontation between the Prince and the author, and a stunning final page. All the while, much like "the Will", Prince Robot IV is hardly entirely evil, and has his own traumas as well as his own set of pressure by forces around him. This issue earned some ire from Apple for an image of homosexual sex, which is so small it is almost laughable that it sparked so much attention; it'd have been lost to randomness if not for the public outcry.

As with most issues, Fiona staples has a lot of room to work with her own designs and landscapes for this series. From a battle scene to a quiet bog, she naturally draws from nature and both advanced and retro technology for her designs. The aliens all look distinct yet simple enough that their essence comes across. Even the Prince, whose robot race have literal TV's for heads, has a design that works as their screens seem to display memories or thoughts, and serve as communication attachments. Vaughan's script as always has crisp dialogue as well as a theme for the issue - in this case, the horrors of war and their consequences to those who survive it.

Much like the end of the sixth issue, there will be another "hiatus" before issue thirteen to allow Staples to get enough "lead in time" to draw the series at a monthly rate as well as time for the second trade collection to be sold. It is hard to argue with this strategy, which gives every arc the feel of a TV season which will have some time between runs. It is also hard to argue with success, and "Saga" has quickly become another iconic series in the Vaughan library, as well as one of his best selling.

AGE OF ULTRON #5: Writer Brian Bendis and artist Bryan Hitch bring readers to the midway point of this overdue and underwhelming crossover event series, which remains a probable alternate reality caper about an Ultron who won. What is left of the world's (or specifically, the United States') remaining superheroes gather in Nick Fury's fallback spot at the Savage Land where they find the old spy himself as well as a convenient cache of weapons and gear - including Dr. Doom's time machine. We have a flashback to Vision's latest revival as well as more of Bendis' trademark talking heads. All of that poignant character growth for Vision over the decades becomes moot as he's apparently been a mole for Ultron all along. While half the squad wants to travel into the future to stop Ultron, Wolverine settles on using it to kill Hank Pym (Ultron's creator) in the past to undo this horror, with little disregard to destroying the time stream. The hypocrisy of an immortal character who has killed hundreds if not thousands of people and by many accounts was an immoral warrior until recent decades and memory loss, who has often abandoned many of his adopted sidekicks or children to hellish fates, to judge anyone else's sins remains amazing. This issue features a lot of talking and set up for the next four issues, and little more.

FEARLESS DEFENDERS #3: Sales figures for March 2013 have come out and this book (as well as MORBIUS THE LIVING VAMPIRE) may as well be dead books walking. The second issue dropped to just over 28,200 sales at the bottom of the Top 85. That's a terrible place for the second issue of an ongoing issue to be, and unless sales stayed there and never budged downward, I don't expect this series to exist beyond a 10th issue, or heck, even a 6th. It is a shame as this is Marvel's second "heroine only" team book, although in all honesty I am not surprised. It was risky to say the least to launch a second DEFENDERS book a few months after the last crack at it under the higher profile Matt Fraction stumbled to an end after a year. Cullen Bunn has rebounded on VENOM, but it took him about 2-3 arcs to get there (without including the arc he co-write with Rick Remender); this series remains perfectly middle of the road, neither terrible nor terrific, and I doubt he'll have the chance to up the ante here.

Bunn continues on the second major story about prototypical Valkyrie in about 3-4 years. In fairness, this one involves Brunnhilde, the actual "Valkyrie" of Marvel lore. Long tasked with re-assembling a team of "shield maidens", she was unable or unwilling to find mortals worthy of such a role, and so thus this adventure conveniently has them assemble alongside her. Previous issues had her team with Misty Knight and her archaeologist ally Annabelle Riggs, and the target of their search sees them rescuing Dani Moonstar (the former New Mutant Mirage) from the evil Caroline LeFay. The team addition this issue is Hippolyta, queen of the amazons who was killed during INCREDIBLE HERCULES but is brought in by Hela in place of Valkyrie. I imagine Marvel's long hesitance to use her is due to DC's own notable Amazon, but here she's termed "Warrior Woman" and joins the fray, and on the whole is fun and well designed. A new squad of evil Doom- maidens are made with their own names and blurbs, and it feels like the late Bronze Age again. Will Sliney and colorist Veronica Gandini provide fine art, but this remains a book with more potential than quality. I like Misty and Valkyrie, and Annabelle and Hippolyta have been fun additions. This is probably a random arc/premise by Bunn slapped with the DEFENDERS name for lack of a better title, and one can imagine a second or third arc may be stronger. Sadly, it likely won't get it.

UNCANNY AVENGERS #6: Daniel Acuna becomes the third artist this series has had within six issues - rarely a sign of stability for what was supposed to be the kickoff title of "Marvel NOW". Writer Rick Remender spends this issue in a flashback set in the 11th century to set up the next arc revolving around both Kang the Conqueror and Apocalypse (and his heirs). The art is beautiful and Remender displays an amazing mixture of continuity knowledge and imagination, although it may confuse fans who haven't studied the Marvel Handbook in a while (if ever). The gist is that Kang is a time traveler who has had several identities across various eras. In ancient Egypt, he ruled as the pharaoh Rama-Tut and had dealings with Apocalypse, an immortal mutant involved with Celestial alien gods. Kang manipulates Apocalypse into attacking both a young, pre-Mjolnir Thor as well as Wolverine's apparent ancestor in London in an attempt to manipulate the creation of a MacGuffin. Considering the concept of this title is to mix the lore of the Avengers with that of the X-Men, this issue plays with that in far more ancient terms. It is a one-off issue which doesn't pick up after the last and may either bore or confuse less continuity savvy readers. However, on the whole is a solid issue. In fact, it is a rare issue in which the interior art is superior to that of the cover!

Old 04-15-2013, 11:58 AM   #87
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

I've been on vacation in Florida for the past week and am just now getting caught up in my comics. I have a lot of stuff to do so I'll keep these short:

Bought/Thought for April 10th

Thor: God of Thunder 7 - Fantastic issue as always. Ribic is amazing on pencils and Aaron is really making me love a book that I've always been fairly indifferent about. I think the different approach at telling it with the three timelines, mixed with Ribics art, is what's winning me over. I don't know how long I'll stick with the book but it'll be at least through the end of this Gorr storyline.

Uncanny Avengers 6 - I LOVED this issue. I think Aaron's Thor book enhanced this issue for me because I've grown to like past Thor in Aaron's title. Seeing him here going against once of my favorite villains was just a lot of fun. Acuna's the artist I've been waiting for on this book and he doesn't disappoint. It was a lot of fun and I'm now officially excited for this title.

Uncanny X-Men 4 - Bendis does an annoying thing here that I always hate... he tells the same story from two point of views. This is essentially the same story as the previous All New X-Men issue but from Emma and the Cuckoo's point of views. The good thing, though, is that Bendis does something no one else has done since the idea was created... he referenced the Cuckoos biological connection to Emma. Their conversation was well done and I sorta grew to like the new students of this book as well. I was hoping some of the other students would leave Jean Grey's to give them some more limelight, but none do. We learn that Angel is the one who joins Cyclops, which I'm guessing the next All New X-Men will explain in greater detail. All in all though, it was a decent issue. Bachelo's art wasn't particularly good or bad, just there.

Age of Ultron 5 - While I was sucked into this event at first, I'm starting to not care. It's obvious that most of this will not matter six months from now and it feels horribly stretched out. All the deaths has just made none of it feel real or important and I realize that I no longer care how the story plays out. I'll definately finish it out but I'm not impressed. So far, it has the potential to be my least favorite Bendis event, potentially even my least favorite event of the modern age. We'll see though. It's still relatively early.

Batman & Red Robin 19 - While this new arc is supposed to be a bit of a Batman Team-up while Bruce goes through the stages of grieving, Red Robin gets very little time in this book. It should likely have been called Batman & Frankenstein. Still that was fun to see. And everyone seems all excited about Carrie Kelley, but as someone who hasn't read TDK, I know little to nothing about her and this issue didn't really wow me in regards to her character. I found her to be rather annoying actually. Still, the art was good and Tomasi did a great job.

After learning that Tomasi has a major epic arc coming up while Snyder deals with Batman's past, I've decided to stick with the book for that. While Tomasi and Gleason knock the book out of the part regularly, it just isn't the same without Damian. Hopefully this reprieve will give Tomasi and Gleason time to win me back over.

Batman 19 - Holy place holder, Batman! After everything that's been going on in the Batbooks over the past few months, this issue just felt like so much filler. Snyder and Capullo did a fine job, but it's just sorta taking two issues to tell what could be an unimportant filler story before Year Zero starts. Still, it was a decent issue and I enjoyed it. Maleev did a great job in the back up but the writing and story itself by Tynion didn't really iimpress me. But it's only part 1 of a multi-part story, so we'll see how it all plays out.

Best and Worst of the Week

Best: Uncanny Avengers 6 - It was just a great, for the most part done-in-one issue that will play into the upcoming Ragnarok story. Acuna is quickly becoming one of my favorite artists.

Worst: Age of Ultron 5 - I just didn't care about this issue. I feel like none of the characters matter, no matter how much Marvel wants us to believe otherwise, and I'm ready for it to end. Hopefully it'll pick up now that the plot has jumped forward.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
AUTHORBRADFORDCOMBS.BLOGSPOT.COM
JewishHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 07:12 PM   #88
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

So I decided to pass on Nova this week. I need to drop books and that one's just not been doing anything for me. I might get caught up down the road, but for now, while these events are sapping my wallet, I'm going to pass on it. Unfortnuately, I didn't save all that much because I ended up buying one title I wasn't expecting to buy.

Now for what I did get:

Age of Ultron 6 - I've officially lost interest in this event. It had me for the first two issues but it's been steadily declining since then and this one's the worst so far. It isn't so much the characterisations because I feel the situation calls for it, but it's that nothing in this book feels like it matters in the slightest. We know all the deaths will be fixed. Even the first one of the series that could potentially matter, Hank Pym, means nothing because he's already been solicited as being in Robot Avengers.

As for the story itself, I really didn't like Wolverine and Sue's killing Hank Pym. There just isn't any real justification for it and the previous 5 issues didn't provide me with enough cause to make me believe that they should do that. I'll tell you what this feels like... a What If? And I'm not talking about the good ones from years ago, I'm talking about the crappy recent ones where they take a situation and push it so far to the extreme that it's just rediculous.

In addition to what I said above, add to it that the art has suddenly become inferior. Both Peterson and Pacheco are good artists but their art is pretty crappy here. Neither does a great job. Maybe it's the inkers or colorists or something, but their art just lacks... Pacheco specifically (who I typically love).

I'm really starting to question whether I want to even finish this event. Is it really worth the $16?

Daredevil 25 - I liked this issue a great deal and LOVED the new villain. He made for a great match up against Daredevil, essentially Daredevil with all his powers and fighting prowess, but who can also see. It was very good and I liked how it ended. I'm realy curious to see how the next issue goes.

While Waid's run isn't as enjoyable for me as the previous 3 writers (4 if you count Johnston), he's still doing a good job. And Samnee is a good fit for Waid's scripts. I miss Paulo Rivera (I think that's his name) but Samnee's doing a fine job.

Justice League 19 - I really liked this issue. The book was somewhere between good and mediocre up until the Throne of Atlantis started. I was worried that that could be due to the Aquaman plot, but the two issues since have been awesome. I like the new additions to the team. I like how various members of the team are forming bonds (Superman & Wonder Woman, Batman & Cyborg) and I like that the Shazam back up is coming to a head. I'm curious if his backup will continue after Trinity War or if someone else is going to be the focus. Also, Reis is a great fit for this book. Much better than Lee was.

And maybe it's just me but I really liked seeing a minor Bat character as a minor focus in the book. Red Hood was cool for the small role he played. I wish he had a bigger focus.

Batwoman 18 - I am so glad I came back to this book. It's just really playing out well and I find myself very intrigued with the plot. The story with the children and Medusa played itself out long ago and got old (though it ended great). This new plot with Kate's family is awesome. In addition to it just being a really good comic, the art was great also. I typically feel like the comic is lacking when Williams isn't drawing parts of it, but Blackman stepped up his/her game this time around. It was a solid issue all the way around and I really enjoyed it. Now, with that ending and with how the scenes with Jacob and Bette ended, I'm real excited to see where next issue goes.

Nightwing 19 - This title's on the fence for me. I love the character but I noticed that I lost a little interest after the first arc. I love it during tie-ins, but when it isn't dealing with the Batman title, I'm not as interested. I felt the second arc lagged a bit, the Shiva story was decent, and then the previous two issues were a bit of a bore. I then realized that all the issues that I wasn't as big on were the ones NOT drawn by Edie Burrows. With him leaving the title, I thought maybe I might also. That said, I wanted to give Brett Booth at least one shot to impress me, and here it was.

As it turned out, I really liked Booth's take on Nightwing. The story wasn't anything to write home about, but it was good enough to keep my attention. I liked the two new threats, and while I don't care so much about the Zucco plot, I'm willing to see where it goes. I think Higgins and Booth could make a good team and I think I'll stick with the book for a bit more before deciding if this will be one of my dropped titles.

Green Lantern: New Gardians 19 - I don't buy this book. I had zero interest in getting it, but then I saw Sinestro on the cover. Then I flipped over and saw the second half of the cover and saw Simon Baz. That's when I realized that, for the first time since the Wrath of the First Lantern began, one of the other GL books actually cross over with the main Green Lantern title. It picked up where GL 18 left off, and if not for Simon Baz and B'Dg being with Kyle and Carol in the end, it could likely have been skipped, as Sinestro was pretty much left in the same spot that he wasin at the end of GL 19.

So I bought it, read it, and enjoyed it. It wasn't amazing or anything, but it didn't make me regret laying the $3 down. I miss reading about the other Lanterns and other color Lanterns, so this was a nice return to them. I'm eager to see how Johns' run ends. This was just a nice pitstop for me to visit other characters besides Hal and Sinestro. It was good.

Best and Worst of the Week

Best: Batwoman 19 - I could be wrong but this might be the 3rd straight issue of Batwoman to be the Best of the Week for me, which is when I starting buying it again I think. It's just a fantastic book, one of those rare moments when an artist takes on writing chores and excels at it. I think Williams had some trouble early-halfway through he first story, but he's recovered since then and he's been knocking it out of the ballpark ever since.

Worst: Age of Ultron 6 - Yeah, I like Bendis but this is not his specialty and it shows. Unless this story ends with some amazing WOW moment that I love, I'm going to regret spending the money I already have on this title.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 04-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #89
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

I haven't even glanced at Age of Ultron once but it sounds to me from stuff I've read around the net that it's on an "Ultimatum" level of bad.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:43 PM   #90
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

No, it's not NEAR that bad. It just feels completely irrelevant and pointless. It's frustrating. It had a lot of promise in the beginning but it's just spiraled for me.

At least Ultimatum was relevant to its line (like it or hate it).

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 04-18-2013, 07:04 AM   #91
StreetWarrior
Respectfully disagreeing.

Age of Ultron is NOWHERE NEAR Ultimatum levels of bad... It may not be great, or even good, but to compare it to the abomnation that was Utimatum is being way to harsh on Bendis and being too forgiving of Loeb.

Age of Ultron #6 - As JH said in the post(s) above mine, this event is quickly beginning to lose focus. Concept wise, it's really all over the place. What could (should) have been a post-apocalyptic tale about one of the Avenger's biggest villains (top 3 at least) has quickly dissolved into just another time travel tale that will be quietly resolved by issue #10 with little-to-no lasting impact. The deaths are meaningless, the plot is weak, and the characterizations are (a little) off. This definitely isn't the worst thing Bendis has written, and it's still better than Fear Itself, but the event is proving to be weak. Additionally, this was written 2 years ago and it shows. I can't but my finger on it, but something just feels off. Anyway, the writing was okay, the art was good, the colors could have been better, the plot was lacking. I'd gve it a 3/5 (being generous).

Thunderbolts #8 - This was definitely the best issue of the Marvel Now! Thunderbolts relaunch which is saying next to nothing. As with last issue, the art is provng to be the saving grace of this arc. Once again, the writing is subpar but Way is not actually that bad in this issue. Mediocre and average but not bad. The fact that this deserves recognition is indicative of how terrible the series has been - the best issue of Thunderbolts is comparable to the worst issue of Hickman's Avengers. I want to drop this title so bad but my love for the Punisher and Venom is making me reluctant to quit. A new writer may still be able to salvage this title, as long as Steve Dillon stays away from art duties, but, for now at least, I cannot recommend Thunderbolts to anyone. 3/5 (Art 4/5, writing 2/5).

Last edited by StreetWarrior; 04-18-2013 at 09:13 AM.
StreetWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 07:07 AM   #92
StreetWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
No, it's not NEAR that bad. It just feels completely irrelevant and pointless. It's frustrating. It had a lot of promise in the beginning but it's just spiraled for me.

At least Ultimatum was relevant to its line (like it or hate it).
Agreed on all counts. I love the post-apocalyptic subgenre but this is just falling flat and going nowhere at a snail's pace. It's definitely no Ultimatum though - to even joke about AoU being that bad is insane.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:46 AM   #93
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

I see.

Don't get me wrong - I haven't seen anyone use the actual comparison, that's just how I'm gauging it.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:05 AM   #94
StreetWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by runawayboulder View Post
I see.

Don't get me wrong - I haven't seen anyone use the actual comparison, that's just how I'm gauging it.
No, it's cool. It just seems that each new event that comes out gets reviewed harsher than the one that proceeded it and that forums (not neccessarily this one) get more negative by the day. Just to clarify - Age of Ultron isn't good, at least in my opinion, but it's far from the worst thing Marvel has published. Hell, it's not even close to being the worst book being published this month. I would say its better than Fear Itself but worse than Siege. However, just for reference, I enjoyed AVX, Siege, Civil War, and, too a much lesser extent, Secret Invasion. In the end, AoU is completely mediocre.

Last edited by StreetWarrior; 04-18-2013 at 09:12 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:08 AM   #95
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

Though I didn't buy them, I also wanted to say that I skim/read Superior Spider-Man 7 and 8 yesterday and was very impressed with Slott's use of Cardiac. I had them in my buy stack before I thought better of it (I couldn't really afford an extra $8 on the week), but as someone who has been overly critical of Spider-Man in the past, I just wanted to comment at how well Slott handled one of my favorite D-list characters.

If Slott could somehow take Cardiac and plant the seeds to what he did for Morbius, Scarlet Spider, or Venom... I'd buy that book in a heartbeat! I even liked the way Ramos drew him, and I'm not a fan of Ramos' style at all.

Cardiac's one of those great characters with a great premise that gets a bad rap. Done right, I think he could easily hold his own title for a couple years.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and
Old 04-18-2013, 10:43 PM   #96
AgentEnforcer
misses Ben Reilly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetWarrior View Post
No, it's cool. It just seems that each new event that comes out gets reviewed harsher than the one that proceeded it and that forums (not neccessarily this one) get more negative by the day. Just to clarify - Age of Ultron isn't good, at least in my opinion, but it's far from the worst thing Marvel has published. Hell, it's not even close to being the worst book being published this month. I would say its better than Fear Itself but worse than Siege. However, just for reference, I enjoyed AVX, Siege, Civil War, and, too a much lesser extent, Secret Invasion. In the end, AoU is completely mediocre.
Yeah, you'll notice the common theme around these parts is to be as negative as possible about every major event, all the while pointing out how unexciting and uninspired the major twists are... I'm always entertained by the people who keep coming back for more after they say their done with a particular comic or writer. Some people are either out to torture themselves or are just blowhards. Either way, it's entertaining.

Personally I don't take these comics too seriously and just enjoy them for what they are. Aside from the odd issue of Spider-Man, the events are the only comics I read with any regularity.

The Ben Reilly Tribute - Best Ben Reilly Resource on the web!
AgentEnforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #97
Phaedrus45
Side-Kick

I am so behind in my comic reading; but, I'm trying to slowly catch up by reading some of my books in clumps. (For example, I'm all caught up on Spider-Man and Spidey related; and, I've done the same for all the Avengers titles. It's the X-books that are going to take a lot of time; but, I'm working on the X-Termination trio of books right now.) So far, I have two long boxes of books to catch up on.

Age of Ultron isn't that bad; but, the problem is that we've seen it before with Age of Apocalype and Age of X. (Not to mention, it downplays the current storyline happening in Captain America, which is doing it better on a smaller scale. I'm enjoying the Cap book very much. It's Steve Rogers as people expect him to be in a post-apocalyptic world.) My hopes are that the end will have a huge payoff. This current issue, #6, was a bit better. Cap getting beheaded, Wolverine and Invisible Woman on their own mission ... it was much more exciting than what came before. Simply put, for this comic, you have to enjoy it for what it is, as the person above is also saying. (Oh, and I was a rare one who kind of enjoyed Ultimatum. It was much better than what Loeb was doing in Hulk; and, some of those moments still stick in my mind. It's much better than the current Ultimate line-up, which has become extremely dull. The Ultimate line, with the exception of Bendis' Spider-Man, needs a serious rehaul.)

So many Wolverine books! Savage Wolverine #4, Wolverine Max #6, and Wolverine and the X-Men #27 all came out this week. (That just leaves Cornell's Wolverine title that makes up the four titles devoted to one character. I guess Wolverine is the new Deadpool, who used to be the new Wolverine.) Usually, I put Wolverine and the X-Men at the top of my list of Wolverine books to read; but, as this is another lame tie-in with Age Of Ultron, all it serves to do is interfere with a current storyline and not enhance the Age of Ultron storyline at all. As for the other two titles, both are decent stories; but, it's kind of like when you see an okay movie in the theaters, and a friend asks, "How was it?," and you answer, "Okay; but, I'd wait until it comes out on DVD." If you love Wolverine, you'll like both issues. (Too bad trades can't be like DVDs, much cheaper than the alternative. Those trades cost about as much of the single issues.)

Getting back to Spider-Man, I'm extremely bored with all of the related titles. Slott has done a superior job with the main title. The problem is that all the other books, like Scarlet Spider, Morbius, and Avenging Spider-Man does nothing to make me have any interest in those characters. Venom is no exception. Venom #34 (wow, I'm shocked this book has lasted 34 issues!) has another lame symbiote versus symbiote storyline. How many times over the years must we see this? While I'm not a Flash Thompson fan, the first 12 or so issues of this title weren't bad, mainly because of the writer making him very much like Marvel's version of Haunt (not the current Haunt, though. Both books have gotten away from what made the stories interesting.). Now, this title can't even tread water to keep my interest.

Age of Ultron #6 gets a 3/5.
Captain America #6 is a 4/5
Savage Wolverine #4 is a 3/5
Wolverine Max #6 is a 3.5 out of 5 (it's the better of the three titles)
Wolverine and the X-Men #27 is a 1/5 for me. It's probably better than that; but, as it does nothing to enhance either it's title or Age of Ultron, it comes across as a waste of my time.
Venom #34 gets a 1/5

Phaedrus45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:11 AM   #98
Phaedrus45
Side-Kick

Whew! Got through all my back issues of Astonishing X-Men, X-Treme X-Men, and Age of Apocalypse. X-Termination hasn't been that bad. It's nicely tying up the two books that will be gone after it's all said and done. Sadly, my least favorite is Astonishing X-Men; and, it will be sticking around. Where new readers will be hugely confused by the large cast of characters if they haven't been reading Age of Apocalypse and X-Treme X-Men, events in Astonishing have nothing to do with this mini-event. It's all about killing off two books.

This weeks Astonishing X-Men #61 gets a 3/5. That's higher than any score I've given the book in quite some time.

I'm also catching up on my IDW titles. Currently I'm reading Rocketeer: Hollywood Horror. It's a very good story, especially if you liked DC's The Spirit title. (Not the last version; but the one that preceded it.)

Hollywood Horror gets a 4/5, easily.

Phaedrus45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:28 AM   #99
JewishHobbit
The Hebrew Halfling

I'm semi-curious about the X-Termination story soley for what happens to the Age of Apocalypse and Nightcrawler. I figure I'll just skim the last issue for that, though.

BRADFORDCOMBS.TK
and

Last edited by JewishHobbit; 04-20-2013 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:17 PM   #100
Max J Power
Trash Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewishHobbit View Post
Daredevil 25 - I liked this issue a great deal and LOVED the new villain. He made for a great match up against Daredevil, essentially Daredevil with all his powers and fighting prowess, but who can also see. It was very good and I liked how it ended. I'm realy curious to see how the next issue goes.
"Try the red one."

The suspense of that moment was fantastic.