The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Politics

Old 04-16-2013, 02:58 PM   #76
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Default Re: Discussion: The DEMOCRATIC Party III

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippie_hunter View Post
In 2011, Romney had an income of $14 million and gave $4 million to charity, about 29% of his income. And over the past 20 years, the Romneys have given more than $50 million in charity. And they could have deducted so much more but chose not to.
Ok so when you factor out the 4M, Romney should have paid 3.5M on the remaining 10M(which would factor to 25% on the total 14M). While I know how he got to 14% I think that's wrong.

As for deducting "so much more" the only reason they didn't was cause he claimed his taxes were over 14% every year so he basically didn't claim some of his charity given to make that statement the truth(I am going to take a wild guess here but he probably refiled his taxes on Nov 7th to get those deductions back so technically if he does that his 14% he got last year is even lower)

As I said both Romney and Obama's taxes shows the Federal Government needs to look into cutting some loopholes, so it's time for them to get to work and fix the problem.

Quote:
But overall, this really isn't about the Romneys. This is more about Obama not practicing what he preaches.
And I think practicing what he preaches would be let's see if he signs into law a bill that would make his taxes higher.

Last edited by SV Fan; 04-16-2013 at 03:13 PM.
SV Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 04:43 PM   #77
hippie_hunter
The King is Back!
SHH! Global Moderator

Or how about he just pays the higher rate without the need to sign a bill. No one is stopping him from paying higher taxes. If he really wants to set an example of the need for those who make more to pay more, he needs to implement it himself and be the example. It would be one thing if the government just flat out refused to take in the extra revenue, but when you can legally pay more than you need, there is no excuse at all. And to defend such hypocrisy is quite disturbing.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:05 PM   #78
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Fan View Post
Ok so when you factor out the 4M, Romney should have paid 3.5M on the remaining 10M(which would factor to 25% on the total 14M). While I know how he got to 14% I think that's wrong.

As for deducting "so much more" the only reason they didn't was cause he claimed his taxes were over 14% every year so he basically didn't claim some of his charity given to make that statement the truth(I am going to take a wild guess here but he probably refiled his taxes on Nov 7th to get those deductions back so technically if he does that his 14% he got last year is even lower)

As I said both Romney and Obama's taxes shows the Federal Government needs to look into cutting some loopholes, so it's time for them to get to work and fix the problem.

And I think practicing what he preaches would be let's see if he signs into law a bill that would make his taxes higher.
And all that is is Obama, ONCE AGAIN, saying...."Do what I say, not what I do"....he's good at that....BUT HEY, IT'S ALL FAIR, RIGHT? We all should pay "our fair share" right?

Old 04-16-2013, 07:59 PM   #79
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
And all that is is Obama, ONCE AGAIN, saying...."Do what I say, not what I do"....he's good at that....BUT HEY, IT'S ALL FAIR, RIGHT? We all should pay "our fair share" right?
As I said both Obama and Romney's taxes show that the system needs to be revamped someway. Why would anybody pay one cent more then the law makes them pay(I don't take issue with Romney only paying 14% what I took issue with was the fact he doesn't see a problem with that and wanted to change it)

Old 04-16-2013, 10:54 PM   #80
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
As I said both Obama and Romney's taxes show that the system needs to be revamped someway. Why would anybody pay one cent more then the law makes them pay(I don't take issue with Romney only paying 14% what I took issue with was the fact he doesn't see a problem with that and wanted to change it)

Here's the thing SV, I think you and I are coming at this from different sides...

I happen to think that Obama paid, his "fair share" etc....ok? That is how I truly feel....

My problem is, that listening him, what he paid, is NOT A FAIR SHARE....and therefore his actions, are not meeting his words. THAT is what I have the problem with.....

Old 04-21-2013, 09:37 AM   #81
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

Deval Patrick very well may the VP nominee in 2016. Clinton - Patrick would make their appeal to key voter demographics untouchable.

R.I.P. Heath
Excel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #82
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excel View Post
Deval Patrick very well may the VP nominee in 2016. Clinton - Patrick would make their appeal to key voter demographics untouchable.
Deval might be the flavor of the week due to what has happened in Boston but if I was picking a guy who I think can draw in voters I would go with Brian Schweitzer(former Montana Governor)

Brian I think would do well in those swing states with Independent voters

Old 04-21-2013, 12:00 PM   #83
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Quote:
Deval might be the flavor of the week due to what has happened in Boston but if I was picking a guy who I think can draw in voters I would go with Brian Schweitzer(former Montana Governor)

Brian I think would do well in those swing states with Independent voters
I think I spoke for everyone who lives outside Montana when I asked "who the hell is Brian Schweitzer?"

Montana nets you nothing. You need a decent "launch pad" to be a viable candidate. Being the governor of a state with less than a million people, isn't a good start. You need real recognition.

Though I agree that Patrick's "fame" may be short-lived.

Thundercrack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:22 PM   #84
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
I think I spoke for everyone who lives outside Montana when I asked "who the hell is Brian Schweitzer?"
I will bet now if Schweitzer runs for the Democrat Primary against Hillary he will win Iowa and South Carolina(before getting destroyed in most other states)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...16-dark-horse/

Anytime I hear him speak he sounds very reasonable, well spoken and likeable and I think his overall demeanor will appeal to many middle of the road voters who live in those swing states

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 04-23-2013, 06:53 PM   #85
Excel
O-bama-ama-ama-ay-ay

Watching the MA senate debate. Markey is so annoying.

R.I.P. Heath
Excel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:39 PM   #86
chaseter
Bland User

Quote:
Or how about he just pays the higher rate without the need to sign a bill. No one is stopping him from paying higher taxes. If he really wants to set an example of the need for those who make more to pay more, he needs to implement it himself and be the example. It would be one thing if the government just flat out refused to take in the extra revenue, but when you can legally pay more than you need, there is no excuse at all. And to defend such hypocrisy is quite disturbing.
It was just a political tactic to garner the middle class and poor vote. Obama lets tax cuts expire on the poor and doesn't pay his fair share. Wonderful world we live in. Unemployment is still through the roof and the economy is limping along...and now everyone who has a job makes less money than they did.

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
And that is how Uncle Ben dies.
chaseter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:23 AM   #87
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseter View Post
Obama lets tax cuts expire on the poor
I assume you are referring to the payroll taxcuts that were made as a temporary form of stimulus?

If that is the case you do understand(and I will state this for the 100th time) that those payroll taxes fund social security don't you?

Do you honestly believe Obama and the House and Senate should have voted to extend those TEMPORARY taxcuts? Do you think keeping them wouldn't be irresponsible(in regards to keeping Social security solvent)?

I also ask why is it that the Republicans who seem to kick and scream anytime temporary taxes run out how we should renew them(and if we don't it's somehow a tax increase), didn't even make a peep about renewing the payroll taxcuts(although they were more then happy to kick and scream about taxes for people making more then 250k which ran out at the exact same time)?

Old 04-25-2013, 10:56 PM   #88
chaseter
Bland User

So you are for the poor getting less money?

What's 2 more years of a temporary tax cut that benefited the poor when we are still in a recession? Who lets a tax cut expire during a recession? Who raises taxes during a recession?

How about instead of spending money on idiotic things, that money went to SS?

"Uh, since my boss made up the policy. You gonna pay? You're holding up my line of one other person. You can't afford your milk, step aside. What, daddy didn't give you enough milk money? Little baby gonna cry about it? Just step aside."
Old 04-25-2013, 11:01 PM   #89
chaseter
Bland User

http://www.businessinsider.com/gover...er-2013-3?op=1

But yes, the left who are the champions of the poor keep their boot on their barely above water heads and only let them surface when they need their vote. You should all be disgusted how Obama talked about fair share, especially the rich in this country (whom he even cited as himself), when he took every single tax deduction he could to pay as little as he could to support this country. Anyone who defends that is a hypocrite and a disgustingly blind partisan. Maybe if all these hypocritical high horse rich leftists like Obama and Buffet and Biden paid their fair share, then maybe the poor and middle class wouldn't have had to see their pay checks decrease Jan 1. But no, lets talk about how SS is going to run dry when the left vilified GOP efforts to reform SS and Medicare by trying to scare old people away from Paul Ryan when Obama cuts Medicare to fund Obamacare. It's disgusting. The left aren't doing crap about SS and you want to cite it as a reason why the poor had their checks cut Jan 1...to help save SS that is going under anyways. Brilliant.

Last edited by chaseter; 04-25-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:19 AM   #90
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
So you are for the poor getting less money?

What's 2 more years of a temporary tax cut that benefited the poor when we are still in a recession? Who lets a tax cut expire during a recession? Who raises taxes during a recession?

How about instead of spending money on idiotic things, that money went to SS?
So once again I ask you a bunch of questions and you completely avoid answering any single one of them directly, instead redirecting the questions back at me

Old 04-27-2013, 12:07 AM   #91
chaseter
Bland User

Your first question was kinda obvious. What else would I be talking about? You then tried to make a strawman argument so I did the same. So, are you for the poor having less money during the worst recession since the Great Depression? You then try to deflect the idiocy of the left onto the idiocy of the right...but that's how bias works I guess. Suddenly the left are trying to save SS apparently and once again the right and the rich are somehow involved in all of this and evil.

Last edited by chaseter; 04-27-2013 at 12:14 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:59 AM   #92
SV Fan
Side-Kick

Quote:
Your first question was kinda obvious.
No it's not obvious. We had a bunch of temporary tax cuts end on Dec 31(both payroll taxcuts and general tax cuts) and on Jan 2 we had a bunch of new taxes created so by definition Government decreased taxes in the calender year for everybody

Quote:
You then tried to make a strawman argument so I did the same. So, are you for the poor having less money during the worst recession since the Great Depression? You then try to deflect the idiocy of the left onto the idiocy of the right...but that's how bias works I guess. Suddenly the left are trying to save SS apparently and once again the right and the rich are somehow involved in all of this and evil.
No i didn't create a strawman I was asking you basic questions about your understanding of what the payroll tax cuts and the word "temporary", as well as how irresponsible it is to keep them

As for attacking the right I think it was a legit question about why they had no problem watching them go back to normal tax rates(or making a correct choice for a change) when it goes against their normal method of dealing with temporary tax cuts of any kind. Maybe if they made a stink about it they could have got Obama to renew them.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #93
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator

No doubt the payroll tax cuts were temporary, I think the question comes with "was this the best time to roll them back in....." my answer...probably not. For me as a teacher, it wasn't a big deal for some of my friends, their paychecks decreased overnight by about $400 per paycheck. That is huge...

So, whether or not we should have these cuts is not really the question, the question is was this the best time to roll them out....

Old 05-28-2013, 09:00 PM   #94
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

Lightbulb Re: Discussion: The DEMOCRATIC Party III

UPDATE: ANTHONY WEINER COMMENTS ON LATEST POLL NUMBERS
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...-poll-numbers/

Old 05-28-2013, 09:01 PM   #95
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

After what Mark Sanford did, I see know reason why he can't run for mayor and win.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:19 PM   #96
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

I'm still surprised by Sanford's win.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:23 PM   #97
Thundercrack85
Side-Kick

Well, he was running against Stephen Colbert's sister, in the most conservative part of the entire country.

Him campaigning with his mistresses was just weird though. It'd be like Weiner campaigning with posters of his junk.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:35 PM   #98
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marx View Post
I'm still surprised by Sanford's win.
I'm not, she did absolutely nothing, very few appearances, she wouldn't talk to the press. I wouldn't have voted for either of them, but she certainly wouldn't have gotten my vote.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:36 PM   #99
Kelly
The Teach!
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
Well, he was running against Stephen Colbert's sister, in the most conservative part of the entire country.

Him campaigning with his mistresses was just weird though. It'd be like Weiner campaigning with posters of his junk.
Really? you just compared a woman to someone's junk?

Old 05-28-2013, 09:37 PM   #100
Marx
Pixelated
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly View Post
I'm not, she did absolutely nothing, very few appearances, she wouldn't talk to the press. I wouldn't have voted for either of them, but she certainly wouldn't have gotten my vote.
Good points.