The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 01-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #151
GreenKToo
In the fire

Default Re: Superman's power level - Part 1

I would like to see a snippet in the next trailer of how strong he can be. Maybe show a quick shot of him picking up a building or train. With some real heatvision thrown in. Something to make us go DAMMMN!!!!!! Now Thats what we've been talking about!!!

GreenKToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:10 AM   #152
kedrell
Band user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. View Post
Heat vision wasn't featured in STM (though Supes presumably had the ability).
True, he didn't get a reason to use it until Superman 2 with the whole Niagra Falls/save-Lois-but-keep-his-secret-ID-safe scenario. Same thing goes for superbreath/freeze-breath.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:43 AM   #153
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Quote:
Originally Posted by \S/ View Post
I'd love to see a Superman on film that is super-smart. It's not something we've EVER seen.

Best example comes from an issue of Action Comics last year: Lois is gravely injured, so Superman reads and absorbs years of medical knowledge in five minutes, then performs surgery on Lois using his heat vision, x-ray vision, and his diamond-hard thumbnail.

Another scene comes to mind from Busiek's run: Clark's powers have increased, so he's placed entire volumes of information in microdots throughout novels he reads (microdots are real: information miniaturized small enough to fit within a period) to keep up with his new speedier level of reading.

I'd like to see this version of Superman that smart. Or, at the very least, realizing he's that smart and using that intelligence to find ways outside of punches when it comes to solving problems.
I think they hinted at Superman's intelligence in Superman IV with his ability to speak Italian and Russian, as well as being able to recognize Nuclear Man's cell structure.

Old 04-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #154
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

So are we going to see a superman capable of lifting 60 quintillion tons? Will we see him fly at light speed or half light speed or however fast he flies?

Old 04-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #155
jacobed
Banned User

I think this Superman will be a lot like the new Spider-Man. What I mean by that is that he is going to be able to lift ridiculously heavy things and move very fast but its going to take some effort for him. Like in the trailer when he is holding up the big oil rig girder thing, he is able to do it but its not easy for him.

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:20 PM   #156
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."

Quote:
Originally Posted by \S/ View Post
I'd love to see a Superman on film that is super-smart. It's not something we've EVER seen.

Best example comes from an issue of Action Comics last year: Lois is gravely injured, so Superman reads and absorbs years of medical knowledge in five minutes, then performs surgery on Lois using his heat vision, x-ray vision, and his diamond-hard thumbnail.

Another scene comes to mind from Busiek's run: Clark's powers have increased, so he's placed entire volumes of information in microdots throughout novels he reads (microdots are real: information miniaturized small enough to fit within a period) to keep up with his new speedier level of reading.

I'd like to see this version of Superman that smart. Or, at the very least, realizing he's that smart and using that intelligence to find ways outside of punches when it comes to solving problems.
I really do not think that general audiences would be willing to accept this sort of thing. As crazy as Superman's regular powers are, just think about how objectively ridiculous the scene you are describing from Action Comics is. Suspension of disbelief only goes so far, especially with a grounded take on the character like Man of Steel. At the very least, one would need an Avengers-style approach for that sort of thing to be seen as acceptable. So I wouldn't hold your breath.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:29 PM   #157
Parker Wayne
Classic Spider-Bat

There are some aspects of Superman you should leave out just because it could completely ruin stories, of course like him being instantly Super Smart.

Potential Username Suggestion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Parker Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #158
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Yup. If he's super smart what the hell is Batman gonna do in JLA? Supes and Martian Manhunter have to be dumbed down when they are in a team so Bats can be useful.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:04 PM   #159
The Boy Scout
Side-Kick

They shouldn't - and don't have to be - be dumbed down at all. There are different types of intelligence that all three of them can individually excel at that make them valuable to the team.

The Boy Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #160
Parker Wayne
Classic Spider-Bat

But Superman can learn anything Batman knows in 5 minutes... It's a superpower that would never work in the movies. It doesn't even work in the comics.

Potential Username Suggestion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibidoLoca View Post
Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Parker Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:18 PM   #161
DKDetective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Wayne View Post
But Superman can learn anything Batman knows in 5 minutes... It's a superpower that would never work in the movies. It doesn't even work in the comics.
His super intelligence is inconsistent at best in the comics. If taken to its logical conclusion, he should be able to constantly out think Luthor and end his schemes before they even begin.

Old 04-21-2013, 08:21 PM   #162
Tacit Ronin
Side-Kick

Exactly. The deductions Batman usually makes in JLA books could've been done a million times faster by Supes in his own books.

The Centurions Live Action Film!
Tacit Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:32 PM   #163
DKDetective

Also, I never bought the argument made by Kurosawa and others that Silver-Age uberSuperman was the definitive and intended version of the character because it was the final iteration of the creators. Just because it was the final version, it does not mean it was how they intended the character to be. Arguably, Superman just became Silver-Age Superman in terms of power level simply because of the ongoing nature of comics as a medium. Writers had to increasing raise the stakes because readers became used/bored to previous superfeats and they were no longer special. it could have just been a case of trying to continually blow up the balloon to keep your audience entertained.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:19 PM   #164
Binker
Side-Kick

What-if Superman has super healing along with his skin invulnerability? Not to make him like Wolverine, but to give him limits as well. Plus, it would be another way of "hurting" him without kryptonite.

A good example of Superman with super healing would be from my fav Superman book: It's Superman! by Tom De Haven. There is a scene that takes place on Halloween night 1937, which is the first public debut of Clark as Superman (he was wearing the suit as his halloween costume, as in the story, the Superman costume is actually a left over costume from a cancelled sci-fi Clark's then-girlfriend from Hollywood was working on). Clark stops a henchman, working for both alderman and businessman Lex Luthor, from his car, that mirrors the cover to Action #1. Just as the guy is on the ground, and Supes is walking toward him, there is a robot inside the trunk (aka the Lexbot) that activates and throws Superman through a few blocks into the river (I believe it was the Hudson; this is New York, not Metropolis). Anyway, when Superman wakes up out of the river: he is bruised, exhausted, his ears are bleeding and ringing, and he's limping. He waits for around five minutes, which seems like a long time for him as the Lexbot is destroying sections of the city's street, before he's healed good enough to fight again.

Binker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:32 PM   #165
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
I think this Superman will be a lot like the new Spider-Man. What I mean by that is that he is going to be able to lift ridiculously heavy things and move very fast but its going to take some effort for him. Like in the trailer when he is holding up the big oil rig girder thing, he is able to do it but its not easy for him.
I'm wondering exactly how big that thing is. Is it a whole tower, or just a relatively small but heavy part of the rig?

Old 04-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #166
DKDetective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
I'm wondering exactly how big that thing is. Is it a whole tower, or just a relatively small but heavy part of the rig?
It appears to be the rig's entire tower. If you look closely during the trailer, the entire structure seems to be tilting.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:48 PM   #167
Bruce Malone
Side-Kick

Wasn't routh's power level pretty inconsistent at times in returns? I mean he strained to balance that plane but then while injured he was able to lift up that island essentially.

I have a feeling the MOS superman won't be as outlandish with his strength level. Speaking of powers do you think we'll see most his? Have there been hints of him using heat vision or ice breath in what we've seen so far? or even super-speed? I'm still a bit confused as to why he resorts to hitch-hiking?

Bruce Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:58 PM   #168
DKDetective

The Entertainment Weekly article does indeed mention "heat vision battles". I would say him dodging the A-10's cannonfire in the trailer is an example of superspeed. I think for a visual medium like film, it is far more practical to show superspeed as relatively slow compared to the comics. Having someone move the speed of light is troubling to show consistently in a visually interesting way on screen. Also, it renders any time we see Superman straining after a falling aircraft or whatever totally pointless since he should be able to overtake his target almost instantaneously. I think the hitchhiking is a manifestation of his struggle with finding a purpose in life. He's not sure why he is here and for what purpose so why should he use his powers on selfish trivial things like getting somewhere faster. He's trying to learn about the world and his place in it, so why shouldn't he pretend to be normal and see what it is why for a normal person to try and get around without money, etc.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:14 PM   #169
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

I feel like on-screen superheroes have all taken a power-level hit. I can't think of one that hasn't. I'm actually fine with it in most if not all cases. It can be easier to believe, and more visually appealing.

My only concern when this comes to Supes, is that he's supposed to be able to fly through space at a very rapid rate. For instance, fly to the sun in a matter of minutes, thus enabling our belief that he could travel to other solar systems in a matter of days to weeks.

I suppose it is possible that we could see a Superman that steadily grows in strength. So, while he may struggle to lift an oil rig in Man of Steel, he may toss it with relative ease in a sequel. Food for thought.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:30 PM   #170
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

I personally think it would be smart to avoid the super-intelligence in this adaptation. Not that he can't be intelligent, just that he's got plenty of strengths as it is.

I also assume we can at least count on "faster than a speeding bullet" and "more powerful than a locomotive"

But other than that, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:32 PM   #171
DKDetective

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
I feel like on-screen superheroes have all taken a power-level hit. I can't think of one that hasn't. I'm actually fine with it in most if not all cases. It can be easier to believe, and more visually appealing.

My only concern when this comes to Supes, is that he's supposed to be able to fly through space at a very rapid rate. For instance, fly to the sun in a matter of minutes, thus enabling our belief that he could travel to other solar systems in a matter of days to weeks.

I suppose it is possible that we could see a Superman that steadily grows in strength. So, while he may struggle to lift an oil rig in Man of Steel, he may toss it with relative ease in a sequel. Food for thought.
Personally, I've never liked the idea of Superman being able to travel beyond our solar system without a ship and suit as it makes little logical sense given how his powers are typically explained as coming from Earth's yellow sun. Honestly, I'm fine with him not being able to travel to the sun in minutes in MoS. However, I think it could possibly be explained by the greater solar energy he gets exposed as he gets closer to the suit. So his maximum speed is constantly increasing as he gets closer and then would gradually decrease as he travels away.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:59 PM   #172
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
Personally, I've never liked the idea of Superman being able to travel beyond our solar system without a ship and suit as it makes little logical sense given how his powers are typically explained as coming from Earth's yellow sun. Honestly, I'm fine with him not being able to travel to the sun in minutes in MoS. However, I think it could possibly be explained by the greater solar energy he gets exposed as he gets closer to the suit. So his maximum speed is constantly increasing as he gets closer and then would gradually decrease as he travels away.
That makes plenty of sense. Whether they get too far into the science of it or not, I think that could work.

I also don't need him to be able to leave our solar system unaided. I just feel like if he does, they have to remain consistent with his flight speeds.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:18 AM   #173
Man of Steel
Superman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Malone View Post
Wasn't routh's power level pretty inconsistent at times in returns? I mean he strained to balance that plane but then while injured he was able to lift up that island essentially.

I have a feeling the MOS superman won't be as outlandish with his strength level. Speaking of powers do you think we'll see most his? Have there been hints of him using heat vision or ice breath in what we've seen so far? or even super-speed? I'm still a bit confused as to why he resorts to hitch-hiking?
Well, I think that was he didn't want to break the plane before he could land it.

Brandon Routh for Superman!

I believe in Henry Cavill as Superman!

DC-B Universe-My Personal Take on the DCU!
Man of Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:23 AM   #174
Bren
Forevernoob

Regarding intelligence; there are plenty of different kinds of intelligence. I might be able to solve an incredibly complex mathematical equation (I can't but anyway), and then have no clue how to position myself and/or troops on a battlefield.
Superman may be able to learn languages and/or grasp high level scientific fundamentals in the FOS, but Batman can easily be on the team based on just being better in resolving how to target an enemy best, and take him/her down.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:43 AM   #175
BH/HHH
Cavill's Hairychest

Something I wanted to mention from the trailer was you see him Superspeed as Superman and this is so nice cause a lot of interpretations be it animation of film seem to ignore his speed as soon as he flies. It's like how nice it was to see Superman run a Ross the ocean in the Batman Beyond episode the Call. I'm just glad that he still does it when he's older.

THE GREATEST COMIC BOOK MOVIE OF ALL-TIME

Last edited by BH/HHH; 04-22-2013 at 08:40 AM.
BH/HHH is offline   Reply With Quote