The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 09:13 AM   #176
Markdavid90
"He'll be an outcast"
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: England
Posts: 32
Default Re: Superman's power level - Part 1

I think judging from the 3rd trailer, his strength is going to be similiar to Superman Returns - You see him jump under a big steel structure bracing it up with his hands, then the next scene it jumps to his facial expressions and it looks like his struggling to hold it.

Also, when you get a quick glimpse of him being thrown into a bank vault he then falls to his feet. So it looks like whatever throws him into the vault stuns him alittle bit.

I think the stength and the power principles in Superman Returns we're spot on. Although, I don't believe any superhero should beable to move land mass.


Last edited by Markdavid90; 04-23-2013 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Typo
Markdavid90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:40 PM   #177
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant
 
pr0xyt0xin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: United States
Posts: 4,847
Default Re: Superman's power level - Part 1

I'm kinda surprised I'm actually saying this, but I hope the heat vision looks similar to Smallville. That's one thing they definitely got right in that show.

__________________
2014 Cinematic Adventures:
Noah | Captain America: The Winter Soldier | The Amazing Spider-Man 2 | Godzilla | X-Men: Days of Future Past | Dawn of the Planet of the Apes | Guardians of the Galaxy | Lucy
pr0xyt0xin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:26 PM   #178
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty
 
Lead Cenobite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: US
Posts: 2,967
Default Re: Superman's power level - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markdavid90 View Post
I think judging from the 3rd trailer, his strength is going to be similiar to Superman Returns - You see him jump under a big steel structure bracing it up with his hands, then the next scene it jumps to his facial expressions and it looks like his struggling to hold it.

Also, when you get a quick glimpse of him being thrown into a bank vault he then falls to his feet. So it looks like whatever throws him into the vault stuns him alittle bit.

I think the stength and the power principles in Superman Returns we're spot on. Although, I don't believe any superhero should beable to make land mass.
I'm not sure I understood your last sentence.

__________________
Superman with realistic physics isn't Superman.
Lead Cenobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:41 AM   #179
Markdavid90
"He'll be an outcast"
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: England
Posts: 32
Default Re: Superman's power level - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
I'm not sure I understood your last sentence.
I put 'make' instead of 'move', Bad typo! Corrected though

Markdavid90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:59 AM   #180
dark_b
Side-Kick
 
dark_b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 44,057
Default Re: Superman's power level - Part 1

i think he is a lot weaker compared to SR. but this is good.

dark_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:15 AM   #181
Rocanrol
Psiconautiq
 
Rocanrol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 581
Default Re: Superman's power level - Part 1

I love the F&F cartoon's power level, but this is good as well. Would like to follow certain rules of physics that Superman usually breaks, like holding a skycrapper from falling. That doesn't make any sense.

__________________
-Sic gorgiamus allos subjectatos nunc-
Rocanrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:51 AM   #182
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest
 
Llama_Shepherd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 9,547
Default Re: Superman's power level - Part 1

Superman holding that steel structure doesn't make sense either. It's about verisimilitude, I have no problem with Superman holding the island in Superman Returns because is was done in a way that made it look real.

Less power doesn't equal a better story, it can just make for a more visceral action.

__________________
*\S/T*
"But that's the thing about Batman. Batman thinks of everything."
"There's always a way. When the odds are impossible- do the impossible."
Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 12:54 PM   #183
fanboiii
disciple of truth
 
fanboiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,883
Default Re: Superman's power level - Part 1

I didn't think Superman lifting the island was believable at all. The weight of a huge land mass can't be held up at one tiny point. It would collapse on itself. It was also confusing because how was the island even floating?

Plus the whole thing was made of Kryptonite. He had no power just standing on it and Lex almost killed him, but then he lifts the whole thing up while shards of Kryptonite was poking at his face. We're suppose to believe he got the strength to lift a Kryptonite continent just by going above clouds a few seconds? Normally a tiny bit of Kryptonite makes him fall to his knees in daylight.

__________________
DC Rises
fanboiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #184
fanboiii
disciple of truth
 
fanboiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,883
Default Re: Superman's power level - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocanrol View Post
I love the F&F cartoon's power level, but this is good as well. Would like to follow certain rules of physics that Superman usually breaks, like holding a skycrapper from falling. That doesn't make any sense.
You're right, it doesn't make sense because buildings aren't one piece of plastic. I would rather him X-ray the building and use super speed to save all the people in the area. That's more believable and impressive to see than cartoonishly holding up a building. Those kind of real world feats makes Superman more interesting because he has to be more creative with his powers.

__________________
DC Rises
fanboiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:10 PM   #185
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty
 
Lead Cenobite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: US
Posts: 2,967
Default Re: Superman's power level - Part 1

Haven't you ever considered that being able to lift huge objects without breaking them is part of his own power set (like with tactile telekinesis) and not ignorance of the laws of physics by the filmmaker? You're right, normally a building or an island can't be lifted by only one small point without collapsing under its own weight, but this is Superman. The entire point is he can do the impossible. The laws of physics go out the window with him.

Flying with people at near light speed while rescuing them from a building should kill them if you want to get technical about everything. How do they withstand those mind-boggling speeds while being carried to safety? The fact is, you try to make all the physics realistic and you make Superman's powers almost entirely useless.

__________________
Superman with realistic physics isn't Superman.

Last edited by Lead Cenobite; 04-23-2013 at 01:17 PM.
Lead Cenobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:42 PM   #186
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick
 
Dr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,754
Default Re: Superman's power level - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
Haven't you ever considered that being able to lift huge objects without breaking them is part of his own power set (like with tactile telekinesis) and not ignorance of the laws of physics by the filmmaker? You're right, normally a building or an island can't be lifted by only one small point without collapsing under its own weight, but this is Superman. The entire point is he can do the impossible. The laws of physics go out the window with him.
In terms of adhering to physics, the super feats don’t necessarily have to pass the scrutiny of a scientist or engineer. They just have to seem plausible enough for the average person.

There was a scene in SIII where Supes puts out a factory fire by freezing a lake and carrying the sheet of ice to the inferno - holding the large sheet by one end. I submit that the silliness of this feat was apparent even to science dropouts. And you don’t want to be making Supes look silly.

Dr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:20 PM   #187
MaceB
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 273
Default Re: Superman's power level - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
You're right, normally a building or an island can't be lifted by only one small point without collapsing under its own weight, but this is Superman. The entire point is he can do the impossible. The laws of physics go out the window with him.
No offense, but this is fanboyism at it's worst. The second you give Superman the ability to do anything... even warp the laws of physics... is the second that you suck all the drama out of the story. If Superman can go as fast as he wants and lift anything he wants even when it defies common sense, then there's no point in fighting him, no drama from a possible failure, no reason to have a movie.

Because so many of us grew up with him, its natural that we'd want to boost up his power in order to see him do awesome awesome stuff. That's how we imagined him as kids. But making Superman invicible would lead us to not identifying with the character and making the whole movie a big bore.

MaceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:25 PM   #188
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty
 
Lead Cenobite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: US
Posts: 2,967
Default Re: Superman's power level - Part 1

Quote:
In terms of adhering to physics, the super feats don’t necessarily have to pass the scrutiny of a scientist or engineer. They just have to seem plausible enough for the average person.
The average person used to not care. Superman: The Movie managed to be one of the highest grossing movies of 1978 despite depicting Superman stopping an earthquake by pushing a tectonic plate. Why has that changed? Why have people become such killjoys that they expect fantasy to be realistic?

__________________
Superman with realistic physics isn't Superman.

Last edited by Lead Cenobite; 04-23-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Lead Cenobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #189
Lead Cenobite
Exquisitely Empty
 
Lead Cenobite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: US
Posts: 2,967
Default Re: Superman's power level - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaceB View Post
No offense, but this is fanboyism at it's worst. The second you give Superman the ability to do anything... even warp the laws of physics... is the second that you suck all the drama out of the story. If Superman can go as fast as he wants and lift anything he wants even when it defies common sense, then there's no point in fighting him, no drama from a possible failure, no reason to have a movie.

Because so many of us grew up with him, its natural that we'd want to boost up his power in order to see him do awesome awesome stuff. That's how we imagined him as kids. But making Superman invicible would lead us to not identifying with the character and making the whole movie a big bore.
No, it's not fanboyism, it's your complete lack of imagination that can't see the ability to create drama in a movie where Superman is depicted as he should be, doing the impossible. You people would suck at writing a movie or a comic, and this damn obsession with realism is killing the genre. God I am so sick of this.

__________________
Superman with realistic physics isn't Superman.
Lead Cenobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #190
fanboiii
disciple of truth
 
fanboiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,883
Default Re: Superman's power level - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
Haven't you ever considered that being able to lift huge objects without breaking them is part of his own power set (like with tactile telekinesis) and not ignorance of the laws of physics by the filmmaker?
I would consider it if they made it clear that's part of his power set beforehand and give a good sense how it works. Making Superman be able to randomly do anything including changing the physics of reality is cartoonish. No you can't spin the world backwards to go back in time. Giving him random powers we haven't seen before is bad story telling.

Would you be okay if he could make it ran meteors when he snaps his fingers? Oh, we're suppose to just consider it's part of his power set because he's Superman!

__________________
DC Rises
fanboiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #191
fanboiii
disciple of truth
 
fanboiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,883
Default Re: Superman's power level - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
You people would suck at writing a movie or a comic, and this damn obsession with realism is killing the genre. God I am so sick of this.
It's killing the genre by making billions and inspiring imitators. Yeah, it's such bad writing these movies are successful with good ratings.

You are being a fanboy about it because you're completely out of touch with reality in more ways than one.

__________________
DC Rises
fanboiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #192
fanboiii
disciple of truth
 
fanboiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 3,883
Default Re: Superman's power level - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
Flying with people at near light speed while rescuing them from a building should kill them if you want to get technical about everything. How do they withstand those mind-boggling speeds while being carried to safety? The fact is, you try to make all the physics realistic and you make Superman's powers almost entirely useless.
LOL, why do you assume he has to go near light speed to save them? See how you automatically jump to the absurd?

__________________
DC Rises
fanboiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:07 PM   #193
Dr.
Scorpion-Kick
 
Dr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,754
Default Re: Superman's power level - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
The average person used to not care. Superman: The Movie managed to be one of the highest grossing movies of 1978 despite depicting Superman stopping an earthquake by pushing a tectonic plate. Why has that changed? Why have people become such killjoys that they expect fantasy to be realistic?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
No, it's not fanboyism, it's your complete lack of imagination that can't see the ability to create drama in a movie where Superman is depicted as he should be, doing the impossible. You people would suck at writing a movie or a comic, and this damn obsession with realism is killing the genre. God I am so sick of this.
Well, I’d wager we all want the same thing - kick-ass action and spectacular super feats that put Iron Man and Hulk to shame.

Of course, Superman is a walking/flying violation of physics. I maintain, though, that this fantasy is actually more exciting when it’s put alongside the familiar/real world. But if you start to imply that - wink, wink - the surrounding rules are different for Supes and relaxed for his convenience (as in my SIII example) then the feats of strength become decidedly less impressive.

Yes, audiences have gotten a bit more knowledgeable and critical (cynical?) since STM. But I don’t think we can scold them into being less demanding, less knowledgeable; we (and filmmakers) have to deal with it.

Dr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #194
godisawesome
Side-Kick
 
godisawesome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,337
Default Re: Superman's power level - Part 1

I'd prefer they showcase his intelligence and give us a hand wave for most cases: maybe he uses a brace to hold the building up. I feel he should be limited to the six basic superpowers, and everything else should resemble something you'd see a human be able to do with forgotten arts.

__________________
“There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal."

-C.S. Lewis
godisawesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:54 PM   #195
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?
 
BigThor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 14,133
Default Re: Superman's power level - Part 1

Supes power level in MOS seems to be almost perfect, he's able to lift very heavy things but also shows a little strain while doing it. That super speed he used to dodge those A10 bullets looked awesome too, plus he's not too invulnerable since one of the Kryptonians make him cough up blood.

__________________
CAPTAIN AMERICA, THOR, IRON MAN, THE INCREDIBLE HULK, BLACK WIDOW, AND HAWKEYE
THE AVENGERS
Spider-Man - It's the end of the world, I'M FREAKING OUT...why aren't you freaking out?
Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #196
Jim-El
"My Son"
 
Jim-El's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The Fortress of Solitude
Posts: 818
Default Re: Superman's power level - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
...plus he's not too invulnerable since one of the Kryptonians make him cough up blood.
Where did you see or hear about that? Too much info is already out about the movie already. I wish they would have scaled some of it back.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
We already know Krypton will occupy a lot of screen time. We know Lara dies alone. We know Faora goes after Martha in Smallville. We know Superman battles Zod and his forces in Smallville, etc.

__________________
"The Kryptonian prophecy will be at last fulfilled. The son becomes the father, the father becomes the son. Farewell forever Kal-El. Remember me my son." - Jor-El/Marlon Brando/Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut

Last edited by Jim-El; 04-23-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Jim-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #197
DarthAlani
Side-Kick
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Death Star
Posts: 736
Default Re: Superman's power level - Part 1

When Lara told Jor-El that the people of earth would kill him, and Jor-El responded by saying "How?". Tells me and with the footage we have seen that Superman's power is going to be pretty damn high.

DarthAlani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:42 PM   #198
Shikamaru
Side-Kick
 
Shikamaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 5,669
Default Re: Superman's power level - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
Supes power level in MOS seems to be almost perfect, he's able to lift very heavy things but also shows a little strain while doing it. That super speed he used to dodge those A10 bullets looked awesome too, plus he's not too invulnerable since one of the Kryptonians make him cough up blood.
Even the Superman from the comics would cough up blood if he engaged in a fight with a Kryptonian that was also exposed to yellow sun radiations. I find that criticism to be unfair.

Shikamaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:25 PM   #199
Jim-El
"My Son"
 
Jim-El's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The Fortress of Solitude
Posts: 818
Default Re: Superman's power level - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim-El View Post
Where did you see or hear about that? Too much info is already out about the movie already. I wish they would have scaled some of it back.
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
We already know Krypton will occupy a lot of screen time. We know Lara dies alone. We know Faora goes after Martha in Smallville. We know Superman battles Zod and his forces in Smallville, etc.
Just saw the coughing up of blood in trailer number 2. Nevermind...

__________________
"The Kryptonian prophecy will be at last fulfilled. The son becomes the father, the father becomes the son. Farewell forever Kal-El. Remember me my son." - Jor-El/Marlon Brando/Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut
Jim-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:48 AM   #200
Bren
Forevernoob
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,689
Default Re: Superman's power level - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
Even the Superman from the comics would cough up blood if he engaged in a fight with a Kryptonian that was also exposed to yellow sun radiations. I find that criticism to be unfair.
That didn't sound like a criticism to me, BT is saying the overall powerset is perfect to him including the fact that he can be made to bleed. And I agree, looks good so far.

__________________
Does odd things at random times.
Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "dee460792f24517621e3ca080805de7e"
Contact Us - Mobile - SuperHeroHype - ComingSoon.net - Shock Till You Drop - Lost Password - Clear Cookies - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SuperHeroHype.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.