Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 10:35 PM   #651
TheDailyPigMan
Side-Kick

Default Re: Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by titansupes View Post
Is whatever you're all listening to on YouTube yet?
I just uploaded

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by TheDailyPigMan; 04-24-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:40 PM   #652
titansupes
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDailyPigMan View Post
I just uploaded

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:
Thank you! Listening now...

Old 04-24-2013, 11:14 PM   #653
Cassandra Cain
C'mon! Let's get NUTS!

Interesting.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:49 PM   #654
Jim-El
"My Son"

It's growing on me.

"The Kryptonian prophecy will be at last fulfilled. The son becomes the father, the father becomes the son. Farewell forever Kal-El. Remember me my son." - Jor-El/Marlon Brando/Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut
Old 04-24-2013, 11:54 PM   #655
LeXcalibur
Lord Luthor

towards the end of the trailer, there is a hint of what the actual theme will be. this teased at his score.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:56 PM   #656
Happy Jack
Iconographer

That definitely sounds like Zimmer. I'm kind of into it, moreso than I was the trailer music.

For you they call, the swaying mass, their eager faces turning.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:15 AM   #657
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

I'd rate the trailer music a 6 and this new music a 3.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:16 AM   #658
LeXcalibur
Lord Luthor

i would rate john williams from 1978 film a 10. i would rate its use for a modern film as a -4. time to move on. glad for zimmer

Old 04-25-2013, 12:27 AM   #659
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

I'm rating the music based on how it sounds not its use in the film, as I haven't seen the film yet.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:28 AM   #660
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

I still need to hear it in HQ to get a better sense of how that pedal steel guitar meshes with the rest of the orchestra. That alone seems to give it a very unique sound that sets it apart from most action movie music (that I've heard anyway) and the usual MV/RC sound.

Besides, not every cue has to sound like purely heroic "Superman" music. This sounds like suspense/action music with an alien touch. It honestly sounds nothing like I expected the score to sound like, but I like that. It doesn't really make me feel anything listening to it out of context, but I'm curious to see how it plays in the film.

My take on why there is no "DC Films" Division at WB:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=158

Last edited by BatLobsterRises; 04-25-2013 at 12:32 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:31 AM   #661
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

It very much has the usual MC/RV sound. I don't see how one instrument would change that.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:35 AM   #662
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

It changes it quite a bit, because it's an unconventional use of the instrument, therefore the starkness of it is what caught my ear more than anything else.

If Zimmer has a signature strength, it's thinking outside the box. Especially in recent years.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:37 AM   #663
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
I'm rating the music based on how it sounds not its use in the film, as I haven't seen the film yet.
Ditto. And it sounds pretty awesome imo

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 04-25-2013, 12:49 AM   #664
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatLobsterRises View Post
If Zimmer has a signature strength, it's thinking outside the box. Especially in recent years.
I know people say this about Zimmer, but I'm not quite sure what constitutes "the box" in that comparison.

Zimmer has taken quite a veering into soundscapes and dissonance. It makes the sounds of the score tie into the sound-effects of the film more organically, but the result is... again... a bit generic because the soundscapes can be matched to a wide variety of scenes or movies. Its generic enough that it gets mimicked in other films. Transformers, for example, had instances of the two-note theme from the Batman films here and there. Oblivion had elements of the Inception score in it, particularly the foghorn, but also some of the soundscape stuff.

Zimmer used to be much better when he was in what you call "the box." Maybe there was a reason for the box to begin with.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:30 AM   #665
BatLobsterRises
Lobsterized

Well look, I know you're not too big on Zimmer's Batman scores so we're not going to agree on this. But to me even something like taking a diegetic sound from the movie (the prison chant), and incorporating that into the score is the type of outside the box thinking that worked well for that film, and it's not the type of thing that can't just be copied and pasted into other films as easily as a two-note underscore motif or soundscape stuff. And personally I thought the use of the chant in the film, as well as all the percussion based around that 5/4 tempo was really quite invigorating.

So to me, taking a pedal steel guitar, traditionally associated with country twang, and then using it as an orchestral accompaniment...okay, well that's something different. And it seems very specifically tailored to this character, given the midwestern upbringing and such. Same idea goes for the unique drum circle he put together for this movie, which from what we can tell sounds more like a marching band than the type of percussion you usually hear in action movies...especially ones scored by Zimmer. Time will tell if this "Americana on steroids" approach will actually work beyond being a neat intellectual exercise and everyone will have their own feelings on the results. But I do appreciate the effort of trying something new and injecting a bit of experimentation, even if it's something as small and subtle as having Johnny Marr play the guitar bits on the Inception score. There seems to be a method to his madness, and I think whatever his shortcomings may be as a composer, he excels at zeroing in on the right sound/texture for certain projects.

I don't think Zimmer is better off in "the box", because the more he stays in the box the more he sounds like all the music out there that emulates him. And I do believe that the MC/RV sound has indeed become mind-numbingly pervasive.

And also please know that I'm not saying all experimentation is good. I hate the Trent Reznor/Fincher model of scoring. That's the sound design approach taken to its appalling extreme and if that's where scores are heading over the next decade then I'm not a happy camper. But I think a few doses of experimentation in an otherwise "normal" score can go a long way in keeping things fresh.

Last edited by BatLobsterRises; 04-25-2013 at 01:39 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:42 AM   #666
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

That was heroic as f**k.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:15 AM   #667
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Yep still loving it, nice to hear the drums, seems to be a recurring element in the score a motif if you will.

Still going to say it, if you are expecting an equivalent of Williams score, then stop right now. This one will be absolutely different for a film that will look and feel completely different. Williams theme likely wouldn't work.

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Old 04-25-2013, 02:18 AM   #668
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Quote:
I dislike it. Sounds like Zimmer's typical action music mode instead of anything uniquely Superman. Honestly it reminds me so much of some of Two Steps From Hell's recent tracks that I'm getting massive deja vu.
But then again...what would sound like Superman? How do you determine something like that without seeing what this iteration of Superman is like?

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Old 04-25-2013, 03:15 AM   #669
redhawk23
Wrestlin'

Quote:
I know people say this about Zimmer, but I'm not quite sure what constitutes "the box" in that comparison.

Zimmer has taken quite a veering into soundscapes and dissonance. It makes the sounds of the score tie into the sound-effects of the film more organically, but the result is... again... a bit generic because the soundscapes can be matched to a wide variety of scenes or movies. Its generic enough that it gets mimicked in other films. Transformers, for example, had instances of the two-note theme from the Batman films here and there. Oblivion had elements of the Inception score in it, particularly the foghorn, but also some of the soundscape stuff.

Zimmer used to be much better when he was in what you call "the box." Maybe there was a reason for the box to begin with.

You're begrudging him for his influence?

Old 04-25-2013, 04:13 AM   #670
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Digging that app snippet of the score! Zimmer keeps delivering.

Old 04-25-2013, 04:33 AM   #671
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Yeah I'm in love with this. There's truly an ethereal otherworldly vibe to it and it's perfect for Superman.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 04-25-2013, 07:37 AM   #672
ConnorKon-El
Amateur Film Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
Yeah I'm in love with this. There's truly an ethereal otherworldly vibe to it and it's perfect for Superman.
Agreed !
I am actually really excited for the music in this film.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:27 AM   #673
Glassjaw
In training

Need better/louder version of this new track.... NOOOW. Ahem.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:44 AM   #674
~.:/|T-MaN|\:.~
A Thousand Days Before

Upon first listen I would also rate the track a 3. I don't know why but i find myself comparing the music of this film to the Nolan Bat trilogy in terms of expectations. I'm hoping for a really original theme like Molossus off the begins soundtrack. I don't know if that new superman theme was in An Ideal of Hope or if it was just a piece they wanted to use for the trailer. Either way this one sounds like Zimmer but it also sounds generic. Like something he did for Call of Duty or something.

Really hoping they're saving the good stuff

Old 04-25-2013, 08:55 AM   #675
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~.:/|T-MaN|\:.~ View Post
Upon first listen I would also rate the track a 3. I don't know why but i find myself comparing the music of this film to the Nolan Bat trilogy in terms of expectations. I'm hoping for a really original theme like Molossus off the begins soundtrack. I don't know if that new superman theme was in An Ideal of Hope or if it was just a piece they wanted to use for the trailer. Either way this one sounds like Zimmer but it also sounds generic. Like something he did for Call of Duty or something.

Really hoping they're saving the good stuff
1:15

so original he used it in 1989
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Closed Thread