The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > X-Men: Days of Future Past

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #826
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 1

I have to agree with spideyboy_1111.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #827
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Default Re: 'X-men: DOFP' Official CAST Thread (announcements and discussion) - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
I've learned to never spend too much time thinking about the casting choices. Besides Stewart (and I guess Bruce Davison), pretty much EVERY actor in the OT was miscast in their roles in terms of physical attributes and presence... but most of them grew on me!
i actually don't think Marsden or Paquin were miscast, Maine in appearance or Ray Park as toad...... Anna has been basically playing Rogue for 6 years on True Blood...

Halle seems perfect on paper, but doesnt seem right on screen. Rebecca was spot on imo too...

id say the only major miscasts of the OT were Famke (i love her to death but she's too old for jean) and Halle, every one else sort of fit into there spots nicely imo. Iceman was however miss-written he should be a prankster and a ladies man hiding his insecurities.

the X2 cast was spot on, and the major miss casts of the X-franchise didn't really happen until X3, XO, and in some cases... FC

DING DONG DOMA IS DEAD and PROP 8 has been slayed June 26th, 2013
[=]
Old 04-25-2013, 11:58 AM   #828
josh8
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyboy_1111 View Post
i actually don't think Marsden or Paquin were miscast, Maine in appearance or Ray Park as toad...... Anna has been basically playing Rogue for 6 years on True Blood...

Halle seems perfect on paper, but doesnt seem right on screen. Rebecca was spot on imo too...

id say the only major miscasts of the OT were Famke (i love her to death but she's too old for jean) and Halle, every one else sort of fit into there spots nicely imo. Iceman was however miss-written he should be a prankster and a ladies man hiding his insecurities.

the X2 cast was spot on, and the major miss casts of the X-franchise didn't really happen until X3, XO, and in some cases... FC
To me, they were pretty much all miscast, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy their performances.

Marsden isn't physically imposing enough and is not good at being tough/stern.

Halle didn't play Storm anything like the comics and her features are very soft.

Anna is playing Rogue physically on True Blood but not in attitude (at all). She gets a major pass from fans (whether they realize it or not) because she got the good storyline in X1. Also her body language is kind of spastic and unnatural and it has always bothered me.

Famke is too stiff and awkward (and tall, but that's not her fault!), whereas Jean was bubbly and cheery.

Ian is amazing and it's a testament to his acting that he can play Magneto convincingly even though he looks really frail.

Rebecca took a one-note character and really made it her own, but Mystique in the comics was more like... I dunno, Sigourney Weaver in Alien? At least until modern writers made her more femme fatale-ish. However, she has always been presented as older/independent.

And Hugh... love him and want to marry him (haha). Besides the height (they obviously weren't going to hire a short leading man), Hugh actually has a really soft voice when he's not grunting.

Last edited by josh8; 04-25-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #829
MarvelU
Side-Kick

Famkee may have been too old, but I liked her portrayal of Jean Grey. Her character developed nicely from X1 to X2. Shame she didn't get a good Dark Phoenix story though in X3. This is just my opinion though. I kept in mind that this is an alternate reality version of the character and I liked how she evolved.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:08 PM   #830
SuperT
Boom Shaka Laka

I would rather they cast for acting ability over looks because no actor or actress will ever be able to live up to or be in line with the ridiculous standards at which these characters are drawn and characterized.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:17 PM   #831
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvelU View Post
Famkee may have been too old, but I liked her portrayal of Jean Grey. Her character developed nicely from X1 to X2. Shame she didn't get a good Dark Phoenix story though in X3. This is just my opinion though. I kept in mind that this is an alternate reality version of the character and I liked how she evolved.
that's mostly my take. I love Famke and Ian's acting so much that they completely made me forgive the physical miss-castings. Same goes for Hugh.

There's also a difference between a misscast, and a miss-written character.

Iceman, Colossus, X3 Rogue, Storm, Angel, Psylocke, Deadpool, X3 Jean, X3 Cyclops, Juggernaut, Banshee, Moira, etc are all horribly miss-written characters of the franchise imo

the only horribly miss-cast imo were (Gambit, Emma Frost, Blob, etc...)

most other miss-casts were forgivable imo by their performance.

and given all that.. the only completely perfect spot on castings imo have been (Rebecca, Ian, Patrick, and Alan) everyone else is somewhere between decent and good in appearance and written

that all being said... What ever happened to Pyro? i didn't think he died on Alcatraz. sorta surprised he's not returning

[=]
Old 04-25-2013, 12:21 PM   #832
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperT View Post
I would rather they cast for acting ability over looks because no actor or actress will ever be able to live up to or be in line with the ridiculous standards at which these characters are drawn and characterized.
just because people want them to be "like" they're comic counter part, doesn't mean they want an exactly ripped from the page kinda deal... it's not always one way or another... the MCU films are a great example of actors who in the roles are portrayed so close enough to the comics that it feels like they're ripped from the page. I think the X-men and other franchises should be given the same treatment and respect.

Acting should always come first, but just because someone is a good actor, doesn't mean there's not someone out there just as good if not better, that actually looks more like the role.

I highly doubt Boo Boo is the most high caliber actor who is native american out there... This is a guy who's known for direct to DVD movies and minor roles in Twilight....

[=]
Old 04-25-2013, 12:35 PM   #833
SpideyFan866
Raggle Fraggle.

Quote:
He does look better there... But he still looks like a twink version of warpath which..... Im not entirely happy about. He'd be better suited for mutants typically depicted as younger.... (at least in build) like the new mutants or any of the other younger xmen. Its just another weird choice to me. And it seems like its just another one of Singers "crushes" he wants in a gig that he's notorious for . Because booboo other then hair and nationality doesn't physically look anywhere close to warpath..... He's not intimidating at all.... Like the name also suggests.
Let's be honest. Singer has a crush on every actor he casts.

I'm positive he pushed for Fassbender and his, er, skills as Magneto

With a rebel yell she cried mo mo moa
mo mo moa
The Legend of Labeouf by Schlosser85
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=226

#Hypsters4Sawyer
Old 04-25-2013, 12:41 PM   #834
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpideyFan866 View Post
Let's be honest. Singer has a crush on every actor he casts.

I'm positive he pushed for Fassbender and his, er, skills as Magneto
honestly? Singer typically likes younger guys from what ive been told... and if they're older, they're usually prettier (Routh, Marsden, Cudmore) otherwise they all look twinkish. I know some of my friends he's hit on in LA all look younger. All in which were given the pick up line "I'm the director of the x-men movies" *gag me with a spoon* Singer's a good looking guy, he doesn't need to act creepers and use the director status to get a guy into bed with him.

[=]
Old 04-25-2013, 12:53 PM   #835
josh8
Side-Kick

Being gay doesn't have anything to do with being a creeper... but Bryan definitely seems like a creeper LOL! Of course this isn't a new thing in Hollywood by any means, straight or gay.

I'll never look at Bryan the same way after he responded to the Taylor Lautner FC rumors by saying they were friends haha. You wish, Bryan!

Old 04-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #836
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh8 View Post
Being gay doesn't have anything to do with being a creeper... but Bryan definitely seems like a creeper LOL! Of course this isn't a new thing in Hollywood by any means, straight or gay.

I'll never look at Bryan the same way after he responded to the Taylor Lautner FC rumors by saying they were friends haha. You wish, Bryan!
Oh i know that... But yeah bryan is a notorius creeper

[=]
Old 04-25-2013, 06:51 PM   #837
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

I can't say I care too much about Bishop or Warpath from a comic book perspective, but the movies can at least make them interesting on film. I hate characters like Bishop and Cable, who have mutant powers but their actual ability is to act super macho and cary around a big phallus/gun.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:44 PM   #838
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikox View Post
and the first time that appeared in the comic he was a youngboy in the new mutants(sorry my english is Little, "imo" means?)
IMO = in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Jim View Post
Simple...

BooBoo is 5' 5" tall and Warpath is 7' 1" tall.

BooBoo is 19" too short to be Warpath!
LOL! Are you sure about this?

He looks taller than 5'5

"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
Old 04-25-2013, 10:26 PM   #839
EnDz0n3
Side-Kick

Quote:
honestly? Singer typically likes younger guys from what ive been told... and if they're older, they're usually prettier (Routh, Marsden, Cudmore) otherwise they all look twinkish. I know some of my friends he's hit on in LA all look younger. All in which were given the pick up line "I'm the director of the x-men movies" *gag me with a spoon* Singer's a good looking guy, he doesn't need to act creepers and use the director status to get a guy into bed with him.
I actually didn't know this about Bryan. But still I would think the Routh casting was more because he was looking for a Christopher Reeves doppelganger no?

And Marsden and Cudmore do look like their comic book counterparts. Marsden moreso than Caviezel for Cyclops.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:54 PM   #840
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

This is the first I've heard about this, but then again I don't go in for that type of gossip.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:03 PM   #841
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnDz0n3 View Post
I actually didn't know this about Bryan. But still I would think the Routh casting was more because he was looking for a Christopher Reeves doppelganger no?

And Marsden and Cudmore do look like their comic book counterparts. Marsden moreso than Caviezel for Cyclops.
There's alot of rumors about who has "slept on the casting couch" in Hollywood many from bryan singer who's list includes all of the above, even Nicholas hout with both singer and tom ford. No one knows but them ultimately if any of its true, but singer does have a very noticeable pattern of no name guys who happen to be very attractive that he gets close to and puts in film. And it truly wouldn't shock me if one of these men really did "sleep on the casting couch" so to speak. And sadly majority of Hollywood local gossip does end up being true. I've known about several gay actors were gay before coming out.

If you Google, there's many a routh rumor out there.

I do think bryan has grown up a bit so to speak though, and he seems less creepers than he use to. Hopefully its all in the past.

[=]
Old 04-25-2013, 11:07 PM   #842
Mulholland-Jr
BANJOOO!

Yeah, there's pictures around the web and stuff. Plus, that whole Apt. Pupil debacle.

Old 04-25-2013, 11:20 PM   #843
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulholland '49 View Post
Yeah, there's pictures around the web and stuff. Plus, that whole Apt. Pupil debacle.
What was the apt pupil debacle?

[=]
Old 04-25-2013, 11:42 PM   #844
Duran Man
The Seventh Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulholland '49 View Post

I just read up on this. Wow. I don't know if it's true or not, but still. Wow.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:17 AM   #845
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Oh i just read up on it too... About the moms filing a lawsuit claming the shower scene was more nudity than their kids were aware of? That's one scandal i actually didn't know lol

Old 04-26-2013, 12:18 AM   #846
spideyboy_1111
Young Avenger

Anywho .... What bryan does in his personal life is his business.... I just don't want people shoe horned into roles because of it though

Old 04-26-2013, 12:44 AM   #847
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

Meh. I'm sure there are other, real reasons why Bryan picks his actors. Routh was probably cast because of his resemblance to Reeve, Fassbender was cast because Bryan could tell he was a rising star who's status was about to explode, Hoult is a very talented young actor that any director would be happy to work with, and casting Boo Boo allows headlines like "Twilight star cast in DoFP" to be written to stir up some buzz and we don't even know this scripts interpretation of Warpath. I don't really trust internet rumours.

Last edited by Mad Ones; 04-26-2013 at 12:54 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:25 AM   #848
Mrs Vimes
Side-Kick

I thought that Vaughn was responsible for Fassbender's casting, not Singer?

Old 04-26-2013, 04:49 AM   #849
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infernal View Post
This is the first I've heard about this, but then again I don't go in for that type of gossip.
I don't go in for gossip either but I knew about it. I thought it was common knowledge.

Singer has had casting couch and creeper rumors around him for years.

Nicholas Hoult seems to be Singers new favourite dude.

Last edited by chamber-music; 04-26-2013 at 04:52 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:49 AM   #850
Spider-Fan83
Thwip Thwip

Quote:
I wouldn't really count Cudmore in the list of older actors considering he was only like 21-22 when he was cast for X2 (gained he was suppose to be like a teenager or something, but, not easy to find a 6'7" ripped teenage)

but, by his own words his audition would suggest he was cast mainly on looks
"They had me flex to the camera in just my shorts. It felt like I was auditioning for a porno!"

Closed Thread