The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

Old 04-25-2013, 01:48 AM   #176
Visualiza
What is a yout?

Default Re: Iron Man 3 vs Man Of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
I think an important difference between MoS and IM3 will be that MoS is a legit superhero movie while IM3 is more of a Shane Black film.
What on earth do you mean by this?

In any case, only one of these films has even seen any kind of release, so how could you even come to...whatever sort of conclusion that is?

Visualiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:49 AM   #177
snyderrocks
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
You act like a 12 year old. I really suggest you grow up.
i am sorry you feel that way i really am i am a grown man and if i got out of line with you or anybody else here i am sorry it will never happen again and to prove it i'll just stick to dc friendly threads .

Last edited by snyderrocks; 04-25-2013 at 01:55 AM.
snyderrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:53 AM   #178
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion

Last edited by Whiskey Tango; 04-25-2013 at 01:57 AM.
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:05 AM   #179
bullets
bang bang

I'm more excited about Man of Steel. This could be the Superman movie we've all been waiting for.

Iron Man 3 looks really good , but I did get my fix last year. It's just been a long time since Superman had the spotlight.

bullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:27 AM   #180
Mr. Dent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visualiza View Post
What on earth do you mean by this?

In any case, only one of these films has even seen any kind of release, so how could you even come to...whatever sort of conclusion that is?
Read deeper into the thread and you'll find out. Although I don't understand what's hard about discerning the difference between a Shane Black film and a superhero film.

Also, I'm inherently assuming MoS will be your normal superhero film. That seems pretty much like a given though.

2016 - Captain America 3 | Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice | X-Men: Apocalypse | The Amazing Spider-Man 3 | Doctor Strange
TV - Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | Agent Carter | Daredevil | Luke Cage | Iron Fist | Jessica Jones | The Defenders
TV - Arrow | The Flash | Gotham | Constantine | iZOMBIE
Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:45 AM   #181
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

It'll be a Zack Snyder superhero film, moreso if anything goes wrong with it. Guaranteed. That's what's so laughable about this Shane Black nonsense.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:52 AM   #182
Visualiza
What is a yout?

Dry Re: Iron Man 3 vs Man Of Steel

Quote:
Read deeper into the thread and you'll find out. Although I don't understand what's hard about discerning the difference between a Shane Black film and a superhero film.

Also, I'm inherently assuming MoS will be your normal superhero film. That seems pretty much like a given though.

Ah, good old condescension. Love it.

Visualiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:42 AM   #183
Mr. Dent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
It'll be a Zack Snyder superhero film, moreso if anything goes wrong with it. Guaranteed. That's what's so laughable about this Shane Black nonsense.
You're making what I'm saying more complicated than it has to be. IM3 is very different from any past superhero film. Maybe I should have said it's more of a Shane Black story, not just movie, with less superhero tropes and more spy and buddy cop elements and the structure of the movie overall just strives to subvert the superhero formula. 70% of the movie is what I mentioned above, with Tony out of the suit, while only about 30% is dealing with real heroics. Obviously the action is more fantastical than something like Lethal Weapon or KKBB though. And no, it can't be compared to TDKR just because he is not in the suit. Tony is doing far more than just chilling in a prison for 5 months while he is not in his suit, that's a fundamental difference which makes the two movies incomparable past the immediate similarity of the two being out of their suits. That's not aimed at you, it's just something I've seen people bring up in general (not necessarily just on this board either).

I have a hard time imagining MoS being anything close to what IM3 is and will adhere much more to the general superhero origin movie formula and genre, albeit with a Zach Snyder flair for action. I don't think it will be a hodgepdge of genres like IM3, nor do I think it will try and subvert any of its genre's tropes, but rather just build off of them in a way that fits their purposes for Superman. They are not going to be comparable in terms of genre or being a superhero film, because they're nearly different genres. IM3 is a new breed of "superhero" film if we have to label it as such. I bring this up because we're generally used to comparing these movies based off of their tone, how good the action was, and whether we enjoyed the comedy more or drama more (if the stories are on equal footing). This is different. Like I said, it would be almost like comparing Lethal Weapon or the Godfather to Superman. The only thing lending to the comparisons are the fact IM3 is about a superhero. But to me, the story isn't really told as a superhero movie.

And like I said before, this is just in my mind and why I will have a hard time really sitting down and comparing the two if all things turn out equal. I'm not saying it will absolutely be like that for you or anyone else. I just wanted to share it because I thought it was an interesting juxtaposition between the two films we haven't really seen with superhero movie comparisons before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visualiza View Post
Ah, good old condescension. Love it.
If you think that post is condescending then you are a very sensitive person.

2016 - Captain America 3 | Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice | X-Men: Apocalypse | The Amazing Spider-Man 3 | Doctor Strange
TV - Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | Agent Carter | Daredevil | Luke Cage | Iron Fist | Jessica Jones | The Defenders
TV - Arrow | The Flash | Gotham | Constantine | iZOMBIE

Last edited by Mr. Dent; 04-25-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Mr. Dent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:01 AM   #184
Squaremaster316
Side-Kick

Will only check out MOS in theatres.

For everyone else, Marvel fans especially, have fun with your Mino.

Squaremaster316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #185
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
I believe we are dealing with a early teen fangirl. In any case, they have shown that "discussion" is something they don't understand.
Even if he claims to be older, I would suspect its his inner teen fangirl that is coming out on these forums to talk aimlessly, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyderrocks View Post
the producers dropped Bronson after 50 , Craig will be gone after 50 .idris elba would be almost in his 50's when Craig was done playing bond so i don't see your logic there ? at least Henry would in his 30's the normal age for a 007 actor today .
Don't really care about the age man. The age means nothing if the actor wants to continue.

Quote:
and is it new to you that Robert has not played Sherlock Holmes in a while or has it occurred to you that he has played absolutely nothing but tony stark in 5 movies since 08 and Robert missed out on some cool movies like Alfonso Cuarón's Gravity because of his obligation to marvel ? now Henry over here he won't have that problem because man of steel 2 is being planned for 2017 unlike what marvel studios did when they rushed out iron man 2 .
"In a while"? Two years is a while in your eyes? Lol.

Quote:
I think an important difference between MoS and IM3 will be that MoS is a legit superhero movie while IM3 is more of a Shane Black film.
The same used to be said always about TDK trilogy being just Nolan films and not superhero films.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:40 PM   #186
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
I'm just saying it's more of a Shane Black film than a traditional superhero film. Obviously it's Iron Man and Marvel, so it's inherently a superhero film. But it subverts a lot of expectations and tropes and really doesn't sound like any superhero film I've ever watched.
I agree, at least Man of Steel will have a real villain

smallville fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:52 PM   #187
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Michael Shannon actually plays an actor from Krypton that was paid to portray a character named General Zod...the real Zod is actually just Faora.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:05 AM   #188
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
Michael Shannon actually plays an actor from Krypton that was paid to portray a character named General Zod...the real Zod is actually just Faora.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Plot Twist to that plot twist.

A new guy flies in obliterating that actor with his heat vision. He then screams: "HOW DARE YOU IMPERSONATE ME!" *Camera pans upwards to reveal*:

"NOW KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!"

Old 04-26-2013, 09:42 AM   #189
Project862006
Banned User

Quote:
You're making what I'm saying more complicated than it has to be. IM3 is very different from any past superhero film. Maybe I should have said it's more of a Shane Black story, not just movie, with less superhero tropes and more spy and buddy cop elements and the structure of the movie overall just strives to subvert the superhero formula. 70% of the movie is what I mentioned above, with Tony out of the suit, while only about 30% is dealing with real heroics. Obviously the action is more fantastical than something like Lethal Weapon or KKBB though. And no, it can't be compared to TDKR just because he is not in the suit. Tony is doing far more than just chilling in a prison for 5 months while he is not in his suit, that's a fundamental difference which makes the two movies incomparable past the immediate similarity of the two being out of their suits. That's not aimed at you, it's just something I've seen people bring up in general (not necessarily just on this board either).

I have a hard time imagining MoS being anything close to what IM3 is and will adhere much more to the general superhero origin movie formula and genre, albeit with a Zach Snyder flair for action. I don't think it will be a hodgepdge of genres like IM3, nor do I think it will try and subvert any of its genre's tropes, but rather just build off of them in a way that fits their purposes for Superman. They are not going to be comparable in terms of genre or being a superhero film, because they're nearly different genres. IM3 is a new breed of "superhero" film if we have to label it as such. I bring this up because we're generally used to comparing these movies based off of their tone, how good the action was, and whether we enjoyed the comedy more or drama more (if the stories are on equal footing). This is different. Like I said, it would be almost like comparing Lethal Weapon or the Godfather to Superman. The only thing lending to the comparisons are the fact IM3 is about a superhero. But to me, the story isn't really told as a superhero movie.

And like I said before, this is just in my mind and why I will have a hard time really sitting down and comparing the two if all things turn out equal. I'm not saying it will absolutely be like that for you or anyone else. I just wanted to share it because I thought it was an interesting juxtaposition between the two films we haven't really seen with superhero movie comparisons before.

If you think that post is condescending then you are a very sensitive person.
niether is mos

goyer said he approached it like E.T
Quote:
We’re approaching Superman as if it weren’t a comic book movie, as if it were real,” he said. “I adore the Donner films. Absolutely adore them. It just struck me that there was an idealist quality to them that may or may not work with today’s audience. It just struck me that if Superman really existed in the world, first of all this story would be a story about first contact.”

Goyer went on to say, “He’s an alien. You can easily imagine a scenario in which we’d be doing a film like E.T., as opposed to him running around in tights. If the world found out he existed, it would be the biggest thing that ever happened in human history. It falls into that idea of trying to humanize the inhuman. He’s made out of steel, he’s not made out of flesh, metaphorically speaking. We are portraying him as a man, yet he’s not a man.”

Project862006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:34 PM   #190
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

I had a blast reading this thread.

Anyway I hated IM2 so I can't bring myself to truly look forward to IM3. It looks good though and I am seeing it.

I haven't really enjoyed any Superman film. I enjoyed parts of the first two films but over all I don't really like any of the films. I thought Superman Returns was painfully dull and mediocre to bad on every level but we are finally getting the reboot we should have gotten in 2006 and I couldn't be happier. Just about everything looks and sounds amazing and it has become the movie I'm most looking forward to this Summer.

Mos by far wins my most anticipated but I think that Iron Man 3 is going to beat it out at the boxoffice by a wide margin. I just hope it is way better than the last film.

I SEE SPIDEY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:20 AM   #191
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
I agree, at least Man of Steel will have a real villain
IM3 does have a real villain.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:08 AM   #192
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
IM3 does have a real villain.
Guy Pearce and his abnormally white teeth was not the advertised villain.

I along with many other true Iron Man fans actually wanted the REAL Mandarin to appear. After watching the trailers I was genuinely excited to hear that Tony Stark's "Joker to his Batman" was finally going to appear in the movies. The REAL Mandarin was always Iron Man's archenemy and they ruined him with a fake actor who trolled everyone. I thought we were going to get a villain somewhat akin to Ra's Al Ghul from Batman Begins.

I mean the first Iron Man was practically hinting his appearance, and I thought and really liked the idea of going back to that. They could've even incorporated something about using certain gems(to progress the Infinity Gauntlet/Thanos story line) with the 10 Rings on the Mandarin's fingers

I'm sorry but unlike last year where I was very much backing and supporting Marvel's movies over what DC/WB was dishing, this year will probably be the reverse for me.
IN 2013 I WILL KNEEL BEFORE ZOD! and I'll be among the masses who will be believing a Man can fly and will welcome Superman not reject him.

Last edited by C. Lee; 04-30-2013 at 11:58 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:10 AM   #193
ThePowerCosmic
You are hailing!

Quote:

I along with many other true Iron Man fans actually wanted the REAL Mandarin to appear. After watching the trailers I was genuinely excited to hear that Tony Stark's "Joker to his Batman" was finally going to appear in the movies. The REAL Mandarin was always Iron Man's archenemy and they ruined him with a fake actor who trolled everyone. I thought we were going to get a villain somewhat akin to Ra's Al Ghul from Batman Begins.

I mean the first Iron Man was practically hinting his appearance, and I thought and really liked the idea of going back to that. They could've even incorporated something about using certain gems(to progress the Infinity Gauntlet/Thanos story line) with the 10 Rings on the Mandarin's fingers

I understand, and I really wanted to see the Mandarin complete with his ten rings as well. But IM3 does have a villain, and Killian's pretty badass imo.

With that said, I can't wait to see Zod. He's the villain I'm most excited for this year.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.

Last edited by C. Lee; 04-30-2013 at 11:58 AM.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:30 AM   #194
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
I understand, and I really wanted to see the Mandarin complete with his ten rings as well. But IM3 does have a villain, and Killian's pretty badass imo.

With that said, I can't wait to see Zod. He's the villain I'm most excited for this year.
Killian should've stayed as Killian he was ok before he yelled "I'm the real Mandarin!"

Last edited by C. Lee; 04-30-2013 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:04 AM   #195
ЯɘvlveR
doilooklikeiknowwhatajpeg

use the damn spoiler tags man.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:14 AM   #196
Squaremaster316
Side-Kick

Quote:

I'm sorry but unlike last year where I was very much backing and supporting Marvel's movies over what DC/WB was dishing, this year will probably be the reverse for me.
IN 2013 I WILL KNEEL BEFORE ZOD! and I'll be among the masses who will be believing a Man can fly and will welcome Superman not reject him.

Usually when films make adaptations of various media and give the name of an established character to a random wino who is nothing like him, it's usually because studios don't care about the material enough to bother researching, and the 'random wino' comments are made by the cynical fans (i.e. us).

Here, taking a random wino off the street and slapping the name of an established CBM character on him... was done within the context of the film.

Quite possibly the most disrespectful treatment of an established character in the history of CBM adaptations, whether you like him or not.

Last edited by C. Lee; 04-30-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Squaremaster316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:01 PM   #197
C. Lee
I'm not old, I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

If you guys don't start using spoiler tags I will start putting you on very long probations.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:26 PM   #198
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Thanks C Lee, I think you just saved my summer.

DrCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:48 AM   #199
Dispatch Ninja
Side-Kick

Easily man of steel. I've found all of the marvel/avenger movies to be very bland. The trailers for mos look epic.

Dispatch Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #200
Mikelus
Islander

Even if MOS makes less at the BO, critically it should do better not just IM3, but both Batman Begins and the TDKR, time will tell.

Mikelus is offline   Reply With Quote