The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > X-Men > The Comics

Old 04-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #526
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Default Re: The Official GAMBIT Discussion thread - Part 1

GAMBIT #15
JAMES ASMUS (W) • CLAY MANN (A/C)
• Gambit is once again the premier thief in the Marvel Universe.
• But when you’re at the top, there’s nowhere to go but down – and a rival thief is hot on his heels!
32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$2.99

Old 04-11-2013, 11:27 PM   #527
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

I am really liking these covers.

Proud Co-founder of Gambitís Royal Flush
squeekness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:16 PM   #528
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

Old 04-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #529
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Works for me!

Old 04-21-2013, 04:09 PM   #530
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

GAMBIT #11
JAMES ASMUS (W)
CLAY MANN (A/C)
• When Gambit’s in over his head, who will answer his call for help? Enter: Rogue! And she may just have an opinion or two about Gambit’s extracurricular activities...
• Speaking of, Joelle has her own dark designs for Gambit’s former flame.
32 PGS./Rated T+ ...$2.99

Old 04-21-2013, 06:15 PM   #531
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Hopefully Rogue will walk in..... and then walk back out......

Old 04-23-2013, 08:05 PM   #532
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Always nice to see some Gambit and Rogue interaction.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:44 PM   #533
iamlegend
Que es eso?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Infernal View Post
Always nice to see some Gambit and Rogue interaction.
Honestly, once upon a time they were probably the most complex and well written couple in the Marvel universe. Then years of horrible writing killed it, and Gambit took the brunt of the blow. His character has been able to scratch and claw its way back into the limelight a little bit since they separated and he was allowed to stand on his own.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:00 AM   #534
Mad Ones
Bebe le Strange

The Rogue/Gambit/Magneto love triangle was awful. Everything about Rogue was awful after X-men was turned into Legacy. Luckily now Rogue is awesome in Uncanny Avengers and Gambit has nice little ongoing.

This title makes me feel like a little kid again. He was my favourite growing up.

Mad Ones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:22 PM   #535
EvilClareToo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeekness View Post
Hopefully Rogue will walk in..... and then walk back out......

God, if Rogue gets in her high horse and starts in on Gambit, I hope Asmus makes Gambit call her out on her bull***** and says something on the lines of...
"Well, at least I didn't rush off and f#ck the first genocidal mutant terrorist I could find..."

I hope they repair these two characters and relationship at some point. I really liked Rogue in the late 80's and early 90's (heck, she was a pretty fun villain back when I started reading X-Men. Yes, I'm THAT old!)

BTW, what does Bryan Singer have against Gambit? He is pretty much putting every major mutant in Days of Future Past except our Cajun (and Nightcrawler, but I get maybe why he isn't in). Would it kill him to have Gambit make an awesome cameo taking down a Sentinel? I guess we should look at the bright side...At least he can't destroy Gambit like he did Storm and Rogue...

EvilClareToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:40 PM   #536
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClareToo View Post

God, if Rogue gets in her high horse and starts in on Gambit, I hope Asmus makes Gambit call her out on her bull***** and says something on the lines of...
"Well, at least I didn't rush off and f#ck the first genocidal mutant terrorist I could find..."

I hope they repair these two characters and relationship at some point. I really liked Rogue in the late 80's and early 90's (heck, she was a pretty fun villain back when I started reading X-Men. Yes, I'm THAT old!)

BTW, what does Bryan Singer have against Gambit? He is pretty much putting every major mutant in Days of Future Past except our Cajun (and Nightcrawler, but I get maybe why he isn't in). Would it kill him to have Gambit make an awesome cameo taking down a Sentinel? I guess we should look at the bright side...At least he can't destroy Gambit like he did Storm and Rogue...
Maybe it's a timing issue. We last saw a young Gambit in the 70's, right? How old would he be in DOFP? I suppose he could be the Witness... All white haired and old.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:37 PM   #537
EvilClareToo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Maybe it's a timing issue. We last saw a young Gambit in the 70's, right? How old would he be in DOFP? I suppose he could be the Witness... All white haired and old.
Or they could just ignore Origins...trust me, there are loads of continuity errors because of that film (Professor X walking, Emma Frost appearing as a teenager, Sabertooth not looking like X1 Sabertooth, the list is endless!) and everyone else seems to be ignoring it. Just give me a Josh Holloway future Gambit for a cameo snarking his way through a fight, flirting with Rogue....Then I could die happy.

Old 04-25-2013, 05:22 PM   #538
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

I think I've said this before, but I've honestly got no wish to see Gambit and Rogue's relationship be at the forefront or be a big story. I just wish they were together and it wasn't a big thing. I think that angle has been meddled with too many writers.

Also, I would love for a Gambit and Rogue relationship in the movies.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:44 AM   #539
iamlegend
Que es eso?

Quote:
I think the main reason they left him out of Singer's earlier movies was because his personality was deemed too close to Wolverine's (dark, mysterious), and his powers were considered too similar to Cyclops' (red/pink stuff that makes things explode). Fans kept demanding him, so they kept scripting cameos... and then not including them. He was going to cameo in X2 and X3, but got dropped at the last moment both times.

I don't think Singer has any kind of grudge - he self-admitted that he'd never really been into comics before he was asked to direct X-Men. So he had no favorites to play.

They finally plugged him into Origins due to appease fans and try to drum up a little love, and the result was "meh." I would agree that, should they ever choose to include him in a future film, no one will care if they break the Origins: Wolverine continuity. That movie's an absolute mess, and it just threw everything else from the series out the window.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:52 AM   #540
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

This was not meh... LOL

Old 04-26-2013, 09:21 AM   #541
Angamb
Banned User

Taylor did a fine job on Origins. With a better director and creative team, he could give us a great older Remy.

And now that he's getting a bit more mature, along with the rest of the cast, wont be a real problem to bring him back on a future movie.

Angamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:08 PM   #542
EvilClareToo
Side-Kick

Quote:
This was not meh... LOL

This is arguably my favorite scene of any X film

I just got back from seeing Iron Man 3 (we get it a week early here in Europe). All I can say is....WHY OH WHY MUST FOX HAVE THE RIGHTS TO X-MEN!!!!!

(Highly recommend Iron Man 3 btw-very good!)

Any-hoo...who has read the latest Gambit comic? I saw a few pages online, and, yes Rogue had to go there...Can someone stop making her into an immature hypocritical teenager when it comes to her relationship with Gambit? And please someone say he called her out on her sh#t. I only saw a panel where he got somewhat angry at her for wanting him to be sulking by himself while she "decides what she wants". GAAAAHHHHHH!!!!

Old 04-27-2013, 11:34 PM   #543
iamlegend
Que es eso?

Quote:

I just got back from seeing Iron Man 3 (we get it a week early here in Europe). All I can say is....WHY OH WHY MUST FOX HAVE THE RIGHTS TO X-MEN!!!!!
It is a sad, sad thing that FOX has X-Men. And that Sony has Spider-Man, really. Now that Marvel's under Disney's banner, they may finally have the cash backing it takes to buy both franchises back, one day, when they think the time is right. We can dream.

We've seen that no one can do Marvel movies better than Marvel Studios (not exactly a stunner). They'll get them back, in time.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:16 AM   #544
Angamb
Banned User

The only great things Marvel has done with their movies are Spectacle (specially on Ironman movies and Avengers) and a good sense of humour.

But in terms of quality storytelling and themes... Fox X-men, X2 and FC are superior than most Marvel movies.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:14 AM   #545
EvilClareToo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post
The only great things Marvel has done with their movies are Spectacle (specially on Ironman movies and Avengers) and a good sense of humour.

But in terms of quality storytelling and themes... Fox X-men, X2 and FC are superior than most Marvel movies.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree here. Themes, yes, because X-Men comics have always addressed social issues far more than any other Marvel title. I mean, the X Men were created as a metaphor for the civil rights struggle and minority issues. So naturally the movies, which are based on the comics, addresses these more than say Iron Man or Captain America.

Storytelling, well...They did an ok job, but I enjoy more character focused storytelling, and other than Wolverine, the X Men are portrayed very 2-D, taking away what in my opinion made the X Men very special compared to other mainstream superheroes. Singer took away the family dynamics that Whedon managed in the Avengers.

I look forward to the day that the X Men are rebooted and given someone other than Singer or Vaughn. Not that they did a terrible job...I enjoyed X Men, X2 and FC, for what they were. I'll be there next summer to see DOFP as well, but my expectations are already pretty low, so at least I won't be disappointed (hopefully!)

Old 04-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #546
squeekness
The mighty squeek!

I must still be the only one there who finds most of the Marvel movies good if not great. The only ones I haven't liked are Elektra, the Spider-Man's and Ang Lee's Hulk.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:30 PM   #547
iamlegend
Que es eso?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angamb View Post

I don't think it's fair to pick on the "theme" of the Marvel movies... The entire X-Men franchise was created with a very specific theme in mind. A lot of the other Marvel characters weren't. They're superheroes. That's their theme. And even then, X1 and X2 weren't nearly as true to the characters as anything that Marvel has cranked out.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:59 AM   #548
Angamb
Banned User

Well, lets not focus on themes at all, but more about script.

Thor script didnt have the quality most of X1-X2 had, for example.

The Magneto scenes, Charles-Magneto dialogue scenes, Logan's introduction on X1, Logan-Rogue relationship on X1, their very first scenes, and dialogue...

I dont see something on that level on Thor or Captain America at all.

Not to mention other stuff, like Striker-Charles Xavier on X2, Nightcrawler scenes/dialogue, with the religion references...

Marvel movies are great summer movies, but in terms of filmaking, script, dialogue scenes... they arent that good.

Nolan/Batman trilogy and first two x-men movies lacked big action scenes and awesome visuals and fights like Marvel movies.... but in terms of dialogue, script, character interaction, filmaking, atmosphere and all of that, they are on a different level.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:19 PM   #549
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

GAMBIT #12
JAMES ASMUS (W)
CLAY MANN (A)
Cover by CLAY MANN
• GAMBIT may be in over his head…
• JOELLE, the woman he’s fighting to save, the one he may be falling for, is on the brink of death. But could the secret she’s been keeping be the key to her survival?
• Meanwhile, Gambit’s former flame and current Uncanny Avenger ROGUE must decide whether she’ll help him save Joelle or bring him in.
• And the villainous TOMBSTONE? Well, he’s willing to cut down any and all of ‘em to get what he wants…
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99

Old 05-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #550
Specter313
Ghost of all things X

edit