The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Books and Music

Old 04-26-2013, 03:59 PM   #101
ChickenScratch
Banned User

Default Re: Guitarists

Your welcome. Learn the shapes one at a time, up and down the neck. Work through each chart, many are repeats of the same chords, but some explain things in different ways that might be understood more. You will eventually start to know what goes where, what is augmented, suspended, etc to make or change a sound.

It's a sign man. I've had 3 people this week alone ask me to give them guitar or bass lessons.

ChickenScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #102
Matt Mortem
Nintend'oh

Question for y'all. I want new pickups for my BC Rich Warlock, but I don't know what I should be looking for really. I want a more powerful, aggressive sound.

Matt Mortem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:27 PM   #103
ChickenScratch
Banned User

You want to go passive or active? What kind of wood is the guitar made of? How many frets (important for the neck PU choice and the sonic sweet spot)? Figure out what you are looking for and come again.

Old 05-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #104
Matt Mortem
Nintend'oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenScratch View Post
You want to go passive or active? What kind of wood is the guitar made of? How many frets (important for the neck PU choice and the sonic sweet spot)? Figure out what you are looking for and come again.
I want to go active. My guitar has:

Agathis body

24 frets

Maple Neck

Old 05-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #105
ChickenScratch
Banned User

Agitas body? Throw it in the trash. Made in Korea? Indonesia?

Do what you want with it, not gonna make much of a difference playing on something with the tonal character of cardboard.

Ok, kidding aside. I'm not a fan of BC Rich on a whole. My bud (who I grfew up with and we learned to play alongside each other) had a Warlock and I had a Jackson PS4. It felt and sounded so bad in comparison with the Jackson it wasnt even funny.

Either way, you bought an import, bolt on guitar made out of ... not a tonewood. So I say, get EMGs. Active, overpowered and erases all personality from the gutiar. With EMGs in, all guitars no matter the construction type, body wood, etc are gonna sound similar.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:09 PM   #106
Matt Mortem
Nintend'oh

To be fair, I bought it for $60 at a yard sale. I'm just super broke and can't afford a better sounding guitar. I thought maybe pickups would help me.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:48 PM   #107
ChickenScratch
Banned User

Do not waste your money putting a set of PUs in a $50 guitar. A set will be more expensive than the guitar itself. Besides, I'm sure there's a lot more wrong with it than just PUs.

Old 06-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #108
Spider-Who?
ERMERGERD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenScratch View Post
Do not waste your money putting a set of PUs in a $50 guitar. A set will be more expensive than the guitar itself. Besides, I'm sure there's a lot more wrong with it than just PUs.
Itís certainly not going to turn it into an amazing sounding guitar, but itíll help a tiny bit. I also think itís fun/smart to take cheap guitars and practice swapping out better components; the last thing you want to do is to damage a more expensive guitar by modding it when you have no experience doing so.

Speaking of which, Iím in the process of upgrading hardware on my Epi Black Beauty. A major problem with that guitar (and most guitars under $1000) is that quality electronics are one of the first things companies sacrifice to keep costs low.

This week, I ordered a new harness kit from RS Guitarworks. This is a massive upgrade in electronics: pots, wires, capacitors, etc, which will improve overall tone and clarity, but Iím also in the market for some new pick ups Ö

The stock neck pup is pretty thick and muddy, absolutely no clarity and definition. Some of that will be improved with the new harness, but Iíd still like to upgrade it. Iíd love to get some Barden humbuckers to match the Barden single coils in my Strat, but I donít have the funds for those at the moment.

I play a lot of blues and hard rock on the Epi, so Iím looking for something thatís relatively versatile and responsive to dynamics. A tight low end and nice highs is important (again, the stock neck pup is incredibly lifeless and muddy).

Does anyone here have any suggestions for neck position (passive) humbuckers?

Old 06-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #109
ChickenScratch
Banned User

Dimarzio Fred. Dimarzio Air Norton.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:14 PM   #110
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Edit: Replaced the Vintage Sunburst '59 ES-335 with a Cherry one......

An amp build I finished a little while back...custom badge (with my initials) and faceplate.....

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)

Last edited by KalMart; 03-05-2014 at 12:33 PM.
KalMart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:35 AM   #111
antondlt
Fish fingers and custard.

Hey, guys. Can't bear to see such a good thread go to waste. Bump!

Guitarist here myself. I own a Stratocaster and an SG. Both are knockoffs, though. Anyway, I mostly play metalcore and blues.

antondlt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:10 PM   #112
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Latest semi-build project. Had tried out a friend's Fender Blues junior with the 'BillM' mods (tone/coupling caps and larger filter, take out 'sparkle mod'), and liked it quite a bit. Along with a better speaker, it definitely improved the 'size' of the sound and took away a lot of the boxiness of the stock amp. Made it much more gig-worthy for small places. So I got a used BJ for pretty cheap and did the mods, and liked it but wanted to go one step further and got a larger replacement cab from this builder.....

Custom Replacement Cabinets items in The Musicans Hardware Store store on eBay!

New cab is larger than the original BJ cab. Really helps the amps sound bigger with better 'elbow room', and pretty darn good volume especially with an Eminence Cannabis Rex speaker.

Went with blonde tolex w/ brown sides, oxblood on the circular speaker cloth. Put my own badge on, which I had made by Amplates.com and have used on my other builds. Wasn't very much more spent altogether than a brand new Blues Junior. I'm pretty happy with how it came out....a handsome little combo for both practice and small-to-medium gigs.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
Old 01-21-2014, 11:26 PM   #113
antondlt

Nice amp, bro. Have any plans on recording a sound test and uploading it soon?

Old 01-22-2014, 12:21 AM   #114
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Not really, I don't really record...mostly like to play out live. I play better with a band too, so I'd feel kinda' weird. But maybe sometime.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:00 AM   #115
webhead9707
Dr. Perky

I don't know how it sounds, but that amp looks beautiful!

By day, a normal mild mannered fellow. By night, he is Dr. Perky, a brutal vigilante known for breaking the limbs of the corrupt and heartless....all while in a cuddly bear costume. BEWARE BE BEAR!!!!! Summer 2011.
My Deviantart
PSN ID:NerdHerd9707
I won't push it on you but if you'd like to ask me about Christ, I'm here.
webhead9707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 12:01 PM   #116
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Thanks. It's only 15 watts, but its 15 TUBE watts so it can get loud enough for smaller to medium club stages for blues and such. Here in NYC you end up playing more small paces than larger ones, for which I have more powerful amps. With lower-wattage amps you can turn them up higher so they're in their 'happy zone'.

Last edited by KalMart; 01-22-2014 at 12:05 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 08:56 PM   #117
antondlt

So, my friend brought his cabinet amp three days ago. Sounded really nice, especially the effects. Didn't get to catch the brand though. Plus, the overdrives were SEXY.

Old 01-27-2014, 09:49 AM   #118
kane9321
oakland's finest

I'm just starting to learn,,never to old ..right?

Originally Posted by Erzengel View Post
The X-Men films are like an abusive boyfriend.
They treat you well, (X-Men 1 and 2) and then they show their true colors (X3 and Wolverine: Origins), then they promise that they can change (X-Men: First Class and The Wolverine), now you see them with a prostitute. (X-Men: DOTFP)
kane9321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 12:42 AM   #119
antondlt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kane9321 View Post
I'm just starting to learn,,never to old ..right?
Definitely, man. Never too old to learn how to shred. \m/ Or going blues too, if that's your thing. :bd

Old 02-27-2014, 07:05 PM   #120
3rdstone
In a room full of mirrors

No one cared in the "R.I.P. celebrity" thread, but I guess this was better suited here anyway:

R.I.P. Paco de Lucia.

One of the most legendary guitarists out there. 66 is way to young..

http://m.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26351251

- If you don't eat your meat you can't have any pudding! How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!?

3rdstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:16 PM   #121
3rdstone
In a room full of mirrors

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
Latest semi-build project. Had tried out a friend's Fender Blues junior with the 'BillM' mods (tone/coupling caps and larger filter, take out 'sparkle mod'), and liked it quite a bit. Along with a better speaker, it definitely improved the 'size' of the sound and took away a lot of the boxiness of the stock amp. Made it much more gig-worthy for small places. So I got a used BJ for pretty cheap and did the mods, and liked it but wanted to go one step further and got a larger replacement cab from this builder.....

Custom Replacement Cabinets items in The Musicans Hardware Store store on eBay!

New cab is larger than the original BJ cab. Really helps the amps sound bigger with better 'elbow room', and pretty darn good volume especially with an Eminence Cannabis Rex speaker.

Went with blonde tolex w/ brown sides, oxblood on the circular speaker cloth. Put my own badge on, which I had made by Amplates.com and have used on my other builds. Wasn't very much more spent altogether than a brand new Blues Junior. I'm pretty happy with how it came out....a handsome little combo for both practice and small-to-medium gigs.

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

Wow, I've totally missed out on this. That's one gorgeous amp, KalMart! And to me it just screams blues.

- If you don't eat your meat you can't have any pudding! How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat!?

3rdstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:50 PM   #122
Rorschach2012
$

Pantera- Floods
Best solo of all time

Rorschach2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:11 PM   #123
antondlt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdstone View Post
No one cared in the "R.I.P. celebrity" thread, but I guess this was better suited here anyway:

R.I.P. Paco de Lucia.

Aw, crap, man. That sounds really young. My dad listens to him...

Old 03-05-2014, 09:03 PM   #124
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

So I had a 2010 Historic 1959 ES-335, wich I loved everything about...except that it was vintage sunburst, and I prefer cherry. Got a deal on a 2011 cherry of the same model, and testament to Gibson Custom's consistency, it felt and played just the same. So I'm selling the sunburst, and keeping the cherry...a guitar that I've lusted for since I was a kid but couldn't find one with a neck shape and feel that I liked until now.

With aged vintage-style pickup covers and reflector knobs (which is more a 1960 format, but love reflectors)...

Also will try a small pickguard because I prefer the smaller ones on cherry ES-335s (making it more of a 1961), but we'll see which one I go with. But it looks like I FINALLY found my dream 'redhead'.....

......oh, and a nice guitar, too.

Old 03-05-2014, 09:59 PM   #125
Greeneyes
The World Isn't Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdstone View Post

R.I.P. Paco de Lucia.

What a legend. Sad to see him pass at such an age.

Greeneyes is offline   Reply With Quote