Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 12:18 AM   #701
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: Latest Anime you watched? - Part 1

Yup and here's the trailer:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 04-09-2013, 10:20 PM   #702
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet

Episodes: 1 - 2

Really loving this anime so far and Gen Urobuchi's writing is great as always. We're still getting settled into the story but the reactions of the characters to the Red (the protagonist) at the end of Ep.2 is incredibly priceless and realistic. Won't spoil it for you guys because it's such a great "Holy ****!" moment.

The animation itself is absolutely gorgeous as it's done by Production I.G.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Old 04-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #703
Spider-Aziz
Movie Bat Cowls

The art looks a bit inspired by that of Miyazaki, the father, not the son

Old 04-13-2013, 03:08 PM   #704
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick

Arrow Re: Latest Anime you watched? - Part 1

Attack On Titan

Quote:
Hajime Isayama's original manga depicts the battles between humans and the giants who now rule the world outside humans' walled enclaves.
Quote:
Director Tetsuro Araki (Death Note, Highschool of the Dead, Guilty Crown), head writer Yasuko Kobayashi (Shakugan no Shana, Claymore, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure), character designer Kyoji Asano (Psycho-Pass, Tokyo Marble Chocolate), and Wit Studio (in cooperation with Production I.G) are working on Attack on Titan.

Hiroyuki Sawano (Blue Exorcist, Mobile Suit Gundam UC, Sengoku Basara: Samurai Kings) is composing the music. Sound Horizon is contributing the opening theme under the name "Linked Horizon," while Yōko Hikasa is contributing the ending theme "Utsukushiki Zankoku na Sekai."
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...titan-tv-anime

Genre: fantasy

Episode 1

The lead character in this episode is a kid who yells too much, though he really didn't have anything worth yelling about until the end of the episode, anyway, when the Titan eats his mom. The art and animation in this first episode are mostly excellent, the music is fitting, the adult characters are all pretty great, the titans are scary. Anyway, quite a good way to start with a first episode. I don't know much about the manga. Maybe it's too much to hope there is a time jump or something to get away from the child characters.

Old 04-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #705
ssj wolverine
Plenty have tried pal!!

Code Geass episode 1. Judging by this episode, I am really looking forward to this series.
Kind of has a Deathnote feel to it.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #706
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnarTheGreat View Post
Attack On Titan

Episode 1

The lead character in this episode is a kid who yells too much, though he really didn't have anything worth yelling about until the end of the episode, anyway, when the Titan eats his mom. The art and animation in this first episode are mostly excellent, the music is fitting, the adult characters are all pretty great, the titans are scary. Anyway, quite a good way to start with a first episode. I don't know much about the manga. Maybe it's too much to hope there is a time jump or something to get away from the child characters.
I'm loving this series so far. Just finished up Ep. 2 and boy does this show deliver every time. Here's hoping it only gets better.

Oh and that opening.

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Quote:
Old 04-22-2013, 05:46 AM   #707
shiva666
art designer

Night Raid 1931

it was pretty good if a bit too historical at times.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:27 PM   #708
Lord
All Mighty

Quote:
Attack On Titan

Episode 1

Wow, didn't know it had an anime now, i've been hearing a lot of good things about the manga for the past year but never felt like reading it, i think i'm gonna try the anime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by childeroland View Post
Plenty of male-led action films fail, yet the actors' gender is not blamed. Why should it be different for women? Especially since far more male-led action films are made than female-led action films?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Ebert
Most of the executives in Hollywood - in fact almost everyone in the movie industry - is smarter than almost all of the movies they make, and they know it. They're just not smart enough not to make them.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #709
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick

Now, two episodes into Attack On Titan and I also did a little bit of research into the manga.
  • Eren needs to STFU. Seriously, what a terrible lead character he has been so far. An angsty, yelling brat about everything.
  • I hope the timeskip and the military matures Eren because he sucks right now.
  • The manga is still on-going. I hope this show has an ending (if I make it that far) because I don't have the time for these shonen shows that go on for hundreds of episodes and have big dips in quality due to budget and filler and other assorted problems. If this turns into Bleach or Dragon Ball, I'm definitely gone.
  • I really dig the concept and art so far and some of the other characters, but I'm a little wary.

Last edited by MagnarTheGreat; 04-22-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:49 PM   #710
Lucien
Bozhe Moi

Eden of the East eps 1-3

Extremely intriguing story so far, stunning animation and a sublime soundtrack. Can't wait to watch more.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:05 AM   #711
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien View Post
Eden of the East eps 1-3

Extremely intriguing story so far, stunning animation and a sublime soundtrack. Can't wait to watch more.
Very nice story...rather 'Nolan'-ish, actually.

Highly recommended, would also make a good live-action

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
Old 04-25-2013, 06:29 AM   #712
Avangarde
Avan a Good Time

Neon Genesis Evangelion 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo

XBOX ONE
Stiffbiscuitz
Old 04-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #713
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avangarde View Post
Neon Genesis Evangelion 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo
I've heard the movie is poop. True or false?

Quote:
Old 04-26-2013, 06:52 PM   #714
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Now, two episodes into Attack On Titan and I also did a little bit of research into the manga.
  • Eren needs to STFU. Seriously, what a terrible lead character he has been so far. An angsty, yelling brat about everything.
  • I hope the timeskip and the military matures Eren because he sucks right now.
  • The manga is still on-going. I hope this show has an ending (if I make it that far) because I don't have the time for these shonen shows that go on for hundreds of episodes and have big dips in quality due to budget and filler and other assorted problems. If this turns into Bleach or Dragon Ball, I'm definitely gone.
  • I really dig the concept and art so far and some of the other characters, but I'm a little wary.
I agree with a lot of what you had to say for the exception of the last point. I don't want an anime only ending. I absolutely hate that. They did it with Ao No Exorcist and Soul Eater (both great series) and I feel that almost always kills any chance of the show ever getting a proper adaption (following the manga). The only instance where we were able to get a second anime was with Full Metal Alchemist and that had to do with the enormous reception both critically and financially that series was able to get in both Japan, North America and everywhere else it played.

I don't want any useless filler for Attack on Titan either but I don't want a truncated anime only ending. Those are always ridiculously underwhelming.

Attack on Titan is a gigantic rising star at the moment. Its opening was able to get over 1 million views in short of a week of its premiere. That to me shows a huge interest in this series. I've never seen something quite like that for a new anime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord View Post
Wow, didn't know it had an anime now, i've been hearing a lot of good things about the manga for the past year but never felt like reading it, i think i'm gonna try the anime.
Definitely go ahead and watch this one. Calling it incredibly powerful would be an understatement.

Prepare for constant goosebumps. Starting with the amazing opening. It's one of those openings that immediately lets you know that you're in for a classic.

Quote:
Old 04-26-2013, 11:02 PM   #715
Avangarde
Avan a Good Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
I've heard the movie is poop. True or false?
It's a bit over the top in epic scale at times, Ikari is still a useless cry baby, the story doesn't make much sense for the first 30 mins, however after that a lot of questions are answered (especially concerning The Human Instrumentality Project), the fight scenes are very cool. Fan service was lacking

Not sure how they will end things with the last chapter, but I have a bad feeling that they may have gone to far with the plot, could end up with a pissy LOST ending

Still, it is Evangelion, so you have to watch it regardless.

XBOX ONE
Stiffbiscuitz
Old 04-26-2013, 11:14 PM   #716
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
It's a bit over the top in epic scale at times, Ikari is still a useless cry baby, the story doesn't make much sense for the first 30 mins, however after that a lot of questions are answered (especially concerning The Human Instrumentality Project), the fight scenes are very cool. Fan service was lacking

Not sure how they will end things with the last chapter, but I have a bad feeling that they may have gone to far with the plot, could end up with a pissy LOST ending

Thanks for the review man.

I for one loved the original ending of Evangelion. I know Anno apparently didn't because he felt rushed into writing that ending but I thought it was so surreal and out of left field that it left me thinking for days. It was flat out trippy. I never quite understood the need of all these alternative endings and retellings.

You know that I actually haven't watched any of the Rebuild series let alone the alternative takes on the ending with Death & Rebirth and The End of Evangelion.

One of these days I'll definitely take a look at this new Rebuild series seeing as You Are (Not) Alone & You Can (Not) Advance have gotten pretty good reviews. I know it's just this third installment that got people heavily divided on its content and where Anno has decided to take the story.

Quote:
Old 04-27-2013, 04:08 PM   #717
TheWiseGuy487
Electrifying!

Quote:
You know that I actually haven't watched any of the Rebuild series let alone the alternative takes on the ending with Death & Rebirth and The End of Evangelion.
Dude, you have to watch End of Eva! If you thought the series was surreal, just wait til you watch that.

Where the ending of the series was more internalized, showing what was going on in Shinji's head during Third Impact, End of Eva is more external, showing the events leading up to (the first film) and during (the second film) Third Impact. You definitely get to see how all the main and supporting characters deal emotionally with all that is happening.

The latter film is more internalized and WTF like ending of the series (it could even be considered a companion to the series ending, as some things from both almost parallel each other), but you definitely get a little better sense of what's going on.

If nothing else, just watch it for completion's sake.

5-.-2-.-14

Old 04-27-2013, 06:02 PM   #718
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Quote:

Same studio/animation/style, but a lot more fun is the 6-episode 'Gunbuster 2'. Highly recommended. Very pop and funk. Same studio as Gurren Lagann too, I think.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
Old 04-28-2013, 04:17 AM   #719
Avangarde
Avan a Good Time

I loved Gurren Lagann, I'll take a look.

XBOX ONE
Stiffbiscuitz
Old 04-28-2013, 06:31 AM   #720
M-2
Ultimate BAMF

Quote:
Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet

Episodes: 1 - 2

Really loving this anime so far and Gen Urobuchi's writing is great as always. We're still getting settled into the story but the reactions of the characters to the Red (the protagonist) at the end of Ep.2 is incredibly priceless and realistic. Won't spoil it for you guys because it's such a great "Holy ****!" moment.

The animation itself is absolutely gorgeous as it's done by Production I.G.
Decided to check this out of reading your post, and I must say I'm thoroughly enjoying it... The story telling is excellent... Its real patient and yet not slow. Its real intriguing, and it will probably become on of my favourites...

I love the animation in this.. And I'm not someone thats quite critical when it comes to animation, but this is simply stunning!

Thanks for the heads up!

FILMRAPS.BLOGSPOT.COM
Old 04-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #721
mr. peasant
Side-Kick

Quote:
I agree with a lot of what you had to say for the exception of the last point. I don't want an anime only ending. I absolutely hate that. They did it with Ao No Exorcist and Soul Eater (both great series) and I feel that almost always kills any chance of the show ever getting a proper adaption (following the manga). The only instance where we were able to get a second anime was with Full Metal Alchemist and that had to do with the enormous reception both critically and financially that series was able to get in both Japan, North America and everywhere else it played.

I don't want any useless filler for Attack on Titan either but I don't want a truncated anime only ending. Those are always ridiculously underwhelming.

Attack on Titan is a gigantic rising star at the moment. Its opening was able to get over 1 million views in short of a week of its premiere. That to me shows a huge interest in this series. I've never seen something quite like that for a new anime.
Well eventually, if left to run long enough, the anime would have to catch up with the manga. As such, you only have four options:

1. An anime-only ending.
2. Ending the series/season at the end of a story arc; leaving bits unresolved.
3. An abrupt non-ending.
4. Filler episodes whilst they wait for the manga to come out.

In my opinion, Options 1 and 2 are the best options; though there is a risk with Option 2 feeling like Option 3, depending how continuous the story feels.

P.S.: Confirming time skip as of Episode 4.

Lastly, because it's just awesome, this:

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Finally, visuals that befit the awesomeness that is the show's theme song.

Last edited by mr. peasant; 04-28-2013 at 06:31 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:58 AM   #722
Fading
>:(

I got in a Tenchi kick. I never watched the OVA's all the way through, and when I saw they have finally finished I watched them from the beginning. Was, IMO, much better than the Tenchi Universe series. After finishing it, I saw there were two follow ups to the OVA's. So I skipped over watching Universe again, and never have, nor care to watch Tenchi in Tokyo.

Next was Tenchi Muyo: GXP (Galaxy Police). It started off promising, and stayed that way for awhile. However it fell in the trap Tenchi had for a little bit where the harem (well Ayaka, and Ryoko), mostly were one character. Except Tenchi worked it's way out of it. The GXP harem started out as individuals, and ended up with them practically ending eachothers sentences. The story also went goofy, and the big ship fight was basically (I'm guessing) a poop joke. I finished it, but the last 10 or so episodes went downhill so fast.

Last was War on Geminar. IMO, the best Tenchi series. It had action, comedy, and a competent harem that didn't drool over Kenishi every 5 seconds. In fact most of them teased, or lashed out at him. There was a decent amount of mech action (especially towards the end), the art was solid, and Kenishi was a good main character. Far from the helpless idiot in GXP who had everything fall in his lap. The ties back to the original Tenchi were very few, so this stood on it's own.

I thought about rewatching Dual: Parallel Trouble, since it is tied to the Tenchi universe, but I have seen it before. It's good, again IMO, but I just didn't feel like it.

Now I'm going through some animes I've seen mentioned that fit that action/comedy/harem vibe that I haven't seen since Tenchi got me in the mood for the genre again. Gonna try Sword Art Online, and Katanagatari next I think. Even though it's not in the above mention genre, also thinking of giving Durarara a try. Also bought a movie off a friend for dirt cheap that he was through with, 5 centimeters per second. It's supposed to be pretty good, I've seen it in a lot of top anime movie lists, and was wanting to check it out. I'm in an anime kick right now if you can't tell, lol .

Last edited by Fading; 04-30-2013 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:22 AM   #723
MagnarTheGreat
Side-Kick

Quote:
Thanks for the review man.

I for one loved the original ending of Evangelion. I know Anno apparently didn't because he felt rushed into writing that ending but I thought it was so surreal and out of left field that it left me thinking for days. It was flat out trippy. I never quite understood the need of all these alternative endings and retellings.

One of these days I'll definitely take a look at this new Rebuild series seeing as You Are (Not) Alone & You Can (Not) Advance have gotten pretty good reviews. I know it's just this third installment that got people heavily divided on its content and where Anno has decided to take the story.
The Rebuild films are like diet Eva. It can't be helped when they tried/try to condense an entire TV series down into 4 films and add new stuff and characters to it. As for You Can (Not) Redo, the first 20 minutes really tried my patience. It focuses on a (not very well done) battle segment that has a lot of "process visuals" and "voice-over process talk." After it's pretty decent as it gets away from that stuff for a while but the end is better than the beginning. My favorite Eva movie is still The End of Evangelion.

Old 05-01-2013, 11:00 AM   #724
Spider-Aziz
Movie Bat Cowls

Great Teacher Onizuka

Old 05-02-2013, 12:16 PM   #725
Hellion
He's Not Serious

I'm just burning through some animes I started watching last year but haven't kept up with till now:

"Red Giant Over Eastern Europe Part I"

I don't know? It has a compelling story, and all the elements of something I would usually enjoy. Its just not holding my interest...its taken me about 8 months to get through 5 episodes...

"Newspaper Club & A Vampire",
"Snow Girl & A Vampire",
"Math & A Vampire",
"Summer Break & A Vampire",
"Sunflowers & A Vampire",
"New Term & A Vampire",
"Security Committee & A Vampire",
"Tsukene & A Vampire",
"Reunion & A Vampire".

It suffers from reusing the same list of running gags episode after episode. The fanservice elements don't bother me too much since they don't reach gratuitous levels--like High School of the Dead.

"Haruhi in Wonderland!",
"Covering the Famous Host Club!",
"The Refreshing Battle of Karuizawa!",
"Operation Haruhi and Hikaru's First Date!",
"Kyoya's Reluctant Day Out!",
"Chika's Down With Honey!",
"Lobelia Girls' Academy Strikes Back!",
"The Door The Twins Opened!",
"Until the Day It Becomes A Pumpkin!",
"Mori-senpai Has An Apprentice Candidate!"
"Tamaki's Unwitting Depression!"
"And So Kyoya Met Him!"

Charming like Fruits Basket.

I'm not sure I'll stick with Darker than Black, got through Season 1 of Rosario + Vampire and just started Season 2, and have just a few more episodes of Ouran Highschool Host Club. After Ouran I might move onto Trinity Blood and Black Butler, which I've had in my queue for a while, are they worth a watch?