The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Old 04-25-2013, 10:25 PM   #51
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Default Re: Guy Pearce is Aldrich Killian

^ Sam Rockwell was one of my favorite things about that movie. I think his character was a load of fun. Playing the ceo of an inferior company very humorously

Old 04-25-2013, 10:40 PM   #52
Victarion
Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
^ Sam Rockwell was one of my favorite things about that movie. I think his character was a load of fun. Playing the ceo of an inferior company very humorously
He was good as the red-headed stepchild, but largely forgettable for me. I liked Whiplash more.

Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:16 PM   #53
InternetPeople
Petty... and tiny

I loved Hammer. His lines were memorable even though his character wasn't. Rockwell knocked it out of the park with a rather limited role. When he was showing off the guns, the bird stuff (initiated by Rourke), when he confronts Vanko before the expo, the dancing at the expo. All fantastic. Hammer tries playing with the big boys and always falls on his face. That really comes through in Rockwell's performance.

Sorry for the off-topic but they ^^^ started it

InternetPeople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:24 PM   #54
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I definitely prefer this villain over the villains of Iron Man 2. Finally a main villain that wasn't wearing a robot suit!

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:10 PM   #55
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
I definitely prefer this villain over the villains of Iron Man 2. Finally a main villain that wasn't wearing a robot suit!

Do you prefer him over Stane as well?

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
ThePowerCosmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:11 PM   #56
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetPeople View Post
I loved Hammer. His lines were memorable even though his character wasn't. Rockwell knocked it out of the park with a rather limited role. When he was showing off the guns, the bird stuff (initiated by Rourke), when he confronts Vanko before the expo, the dancing at the expo. All fantastic. Hammer tries playing with the big boys and always falls on his face. That really comes through in Rockwell's performance.

Sorry for the off-topic but they ^^^ started it

I really can't remember a lot of Hammer's lines from IM2... Maybe that's just my memory.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:13 PM   #57
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Obidiah Stane is still by far the best villain of the trilogy, IMO. Jeff Bridges was terrific and felt like the most menacing of the bunch. He was that inner threat. Someone close to Tony who was really a snake in the grass waiting to stab him in the heart and take everything he owned.

I loved the scene when he paralyzed Tony with that sonic device and then removed the arc reactor from Tony's chest, all the while revealing he was the one who ordered the hit on him, he was going to kill Pepper, take his technology and his company etc.

Great villain. Nobody, not even Aldrich Killian, came up to the standard of Stane's class.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:33 PM   #58
Bren
Forevernoob

Haven't watched IM3 yet, but agree regarding Stane. Rewatching the film you STILL like him during the pizza scene, even though you know what he is and what he's going to do.

Personally, I couldn't stand Rockwell/Hammer, but I suspect that was the point, so well done!

Old 04-26-2013, 08:38 PM   #59
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

It was interesting to see this thread again (I'm surprised there wasn't more people commenting in it). It's strange to see bot how wrong and how right my guesses were. lol

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:10 PM   #60
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowerCosmic View Post
Do you prefer him over Stane as well?
In terms of what Aldrich can do, yes, he's more powerful. But based on his relationship with Iron Man/Tony Stark, I prefer Stane.

"Superheroes in New York? Give me a break!" - A1
"'Nuff said" - SM3
FOLLOW MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018
psylockolussus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:50 PM   #61
ThePowerCosmic
Straight Lording.

Quote:
In terms of what Aldrich can do, yes, he's more powerful. But based on his relationship with Iron Man/Tony Stark, I prefer Stane.
Oh okay, makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Obidiah Stane is still by far the best villain of the trilogy, IMO. Jeff Bridges was terrific and felt like the most menacing of the bunch. He was that inner threat. Someone close to Tony who was really a snake in the grass waiting to stab him in the heart and take everything he owned.

I loved the scene when he paralyzed Tony with that sonic device and then removed the arc reactor from Tony's chest, all the while revealing he was the one who ordered the hit on him, he was going to kill Pepper, take his technology and his company etc.

Great villain. Nobody, not even Aldrich Killian, came up to the standard of Stane's class.
Agreed with everything you said about Stane. Imo, he's a great villain and the second best of the MCU under Loki so far.

Haven't seen Killian yet, so I don't know where he ranks.

Hail HYDRA!

Thirsty? Get HYDRAted.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:49 AM   #62
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

No he's not he's the Mandarin.

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Sharkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 04:38 AM   #63
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
It's hard to believe a virus can make a guy more powerful than the Iron Monger armor.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:25 AM   #64
itsthebatman
Side-Kick

Quote:

Yeah, that's a great scene.

Batman-News.com
itsthebatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:54 AM   #65
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Watching it again I really do prefer Aldrich as a villain to them all. Problem with Stane isn't so much the performance but the lackluster material he was given. (again, when a character is portrayed by Jeff f'n Bridges no matter how your character is written you will be awesome). Aldrich was just awesome head to toe, from his 80's villain vibes, the slicked hair the white suits, the dragon tattoos. I also loved his origins, sort of like a dark tony stark or a twisted version of him, both brilliant ambitious minds, starting out from completely different places, yet aldrich ended up in a similar place. Charming and dashing, charismatic, rich, successful, resourceful and smart and in possession of technology that could change the world and allows him to toe to toe (and pretty much win) against tony and his 42 different suits. Unlike Tony however he becomes so obsessed with his alter ego he truly believes he is the mandarin, a fake character he created. While tony eschews the concept of the alter ego and realises he was the hero all along not the suit.

If that isn't a great arch nemesis, I don't know what is...and the fact that he has the coolest terminator moment near the end ups the badass factor. He may not have that scene chewing moment like Stane or Hammer (rockwell continues to be the most underrated actor out there) but he did say how much he hated theatrics.

So yeah...best acted villain? maybe not, best written? probably yes. Most badass? hell yes...I'd even put him as more badass in the MCU than Loki, who's more of a snake than a straight up alpha.

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Old 04-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #66
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
It's hard to believe a virus can make a guy more powerful than the Iron Monger armor.
It does...he makes Monger look like a puppy.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #67
C. Lee
WE ARE HUNTER RIDER!
SHH! Administrator

Read this -

It's very simple....half the world has not seen Iron Man 3...if you do not put spoilers about important things in the movie in spoiler tags...you will be infracted and put on probation. Do not ruin the movie for others.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #68
Spuzz
The Spuzziest of Spuzzes

The following are my thoughts on the interesting (if not controversial) villain concoction they created for this film (filled with spoilers).

Ok, so like most I had a hard time at first with the Killian/Mandarin twist. But this isn't the first time they've taken two pre-existing characters and combined them, making an amalgamation of the two that still represents both very well. They did this with Whiplash who was also essentially Crimson Dynamo. If you think about the fact that all the foreboding stuff Fake Mandarin said was still probably penned by Killian then that doesn't make it all as big a joke as it seemed initially. Fake Mandarin was just a mouthpiece. And a funny/entertaining one./ But at the end of the day Killian was Mandarin. And I'm cool with that.

Last edited by Spuzz; 04-27-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Spuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #69
The Batman
The Dark Knight

Quote:

Thats the one scene in an IM film where I felt the villain was threatening...

"You really think that just because you have an idea, it belongs to you?"

The Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:06 PM   #70
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
Thats the one scene in an IM film where I felt the villain was threatening...

I concur. That's one of several reasons why Obadiah is the best villain of the trilogy. He felt genuinely menacing all the time once it was revealed he was a villain.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:59 PM   #71
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batman View Post
Great quote.

Facebook!

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:22 PM   #72
TacomaTruck90
Side-Kick

first time I saw the orginal I couldnt believe Stane became the villian it was a big twist atleast for me at first

TacomaTruck90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:37 PM   #73
Victarion
Cut

I knew Stane was bad, but his ability to go from bro to murderous lunatic was great.

Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:46 AM   #74
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post
It does...he makes Monger look like a puppy.
Really? Give me an example of something he did to make Monger look like a puppy.

I'm not doubting you I'm just curious and be sure to put it in spoiler tags.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:11 AM   #75
Spuzz
The Spuzziest of Spuzzes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
Really? Give me an example of something he did to make Monger look like a puppy.

I'm not doubting you I'm just curious and be sure to put it in spoiler tags.
Well, for one...Iron Monger/Stane was ultimately destroyed by that giant Arc Reactor explosion. Killian is in a similarly humongous explosion wher eyou think he's dead then walks out unscathed. Well he's scathed. But still alive. Also he can melt through any of Tony's armors by touching them, something Stane couldn't do. I think saying Stane is a puppy in comparison is a bit much. But Killian takes on Tony without a suit and Tony ends up needing the help of multiple suits to defeat him and actually doesn't even end up being the one defeating him. So...yeah.

Spuzz is offline   Reply With Quote