Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

View Poll Results: Batman Begins vs The Amazing Spider-Man
Batman Begins 123 86.01%
The Amazing Spider-Man 20 13.99%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-25-2013, 05:19 PM   #26
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

Default Re: Batman Begins vs The Amazing Spider-Man?

If they had excised the terrible romance from the film, it would have been flawless. Conversely, if they had recast Katie Holmes in BB, it would have been flawless.
Thus, what we are left are to very good films that are on the verge of being great.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
“At DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:55 PM   #27
Anno_Domini
Banned User

The romance isn't the only problem with TAS-M.

Lizard was ****. The editing was crap and worse than any bad editing moments of BB. The nonsense arc of Uncle Ben's killer is ridiculous. Peter breaking the promise was a complete mistake. Zero development for anyone except for Peter and Gwen. The list goes on too.

But for BB? Besides getting someone else to play Rachel Dawes(and that same person should've been in TDK as well), Scarecrow should've gotten a better cliffhanger ending than being tasered by Rachel and I would have loved to see Batman fight Zsaz.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 08:57 PM   #28
StarLord
Tech Noir.

Batman Begins.

StarLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:13 PM   #29
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

I rank them the same, a 9/10.

Therefore I refuse to vote.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:47 PM   #30
BattleCat
Side-Kick

Batman Begins by a mile.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:12 PM   #31
Spider-Aziz
Time to Move on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
I wonder how the poll will look if the question was asking which was better between the 2002 Spider-Man film and Batman Begins.
Maybe 36-7

Fan of classic comics? Join here
- ran by great folks
Spider-Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:45 AM   #32
Leetank
Battlecruiser Operational

The amazing spiderman was just awful

Begins is leagues better.

Leetank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:28 AM   #33
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

I don't think TASM was awful, but it was too much of a rehash of Raimi's spider-man, and as I said on another thread I fear Man of Steel is going to suffer the same sort of drawback, as it looks like a rehash of Superman 1 and 2.

Batman Begins was a refreshing take on an old tale, and fortunately for the film makers Burton's Batman was not an origin story, so Nolan and Goyer had a lot of territory on which to cover. Really the only duplicate scene is that of Bruce's parents being shot, and while it was filmed at similar camera angles and such, it was really done as a homage.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #34
Donnie Darko
Forgotten Pre-New 52 Hero

Batman Begins for sure.

It's my favorite Batman movie and probably my number 2-3 comic book movie overall.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:51 PM   #35
Spider-Aziz
Time to Move on

What's your number 1? And BB rival as No. 2?

- ran by great folks
Old 04-26-2013, 02:20 PM   #36
Donnie Darko

1. Avengers
2. Batman Begins
3. Iron Man

at least that's how I feel today

Old 04-26-2013, 02:40 PM   #37
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Begins had it easy in that the origin of Batman had never been fully told on the big screen compared to Spider-Man 1 where the origin was told and not only that it was told well.

I have to say that Begins has got to be 'THE' most overrated superhero movie ever. Overly long, confusing action and one of the most boring 3rd acts I've ever seen.
TDK imho is the best superhero movie ever made where as BB isn't in my top 10 superhero movies and I was confused as heck the adulation the movie received. Meh.

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:43 PM   #38
Spider-Aziz
Time to Move on

44 - 4
Well, one movie is destroying the other, but it's fun to see all fours

- ran by great folks
Old 04-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #39
Donnie Darko

One of my reasons for Batman Begins over The Dark Knight is that after the first movie, I feel like Gotham ceases to exist. Batman Begins, IMO, makes Gotham seem like a distinct city. It has a certain look and feel to it. In The Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises, to me, it just looks like any other movie that takes place in New York, Chicago, whatever.

That being said, The Dark Knight is somewhere #4-6 on my list, along with Spider-Man and X2.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #40
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Darko View Post
One of my reasons for Batman Begins over The Dark Knight is that after the first movie, I feel like Gotham ceases to exist. Batman Begins, IMO, makes Gotham seem like a distinct city. It has a certain look and feel to it. In The Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises, to me, it just looks like any other movie that takes place in New York, Chicago, whatever.
Yeah this aways bugs me too. It so odd that Nolan could nail something first time and drop it completely afterward.

henzINNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:38 PM   #41
Squaremaster316
Side-Kick

Take Batman Begins out of the picture, and TDK would not have been as successful financially. It was easily the biggest reason why TDK did as well as it did.

Even if everything else had been the exact same with TDK's production, if it had been the official reboot after B&R, it may have done b/w Iron Man 2 to TASM numbers.

Squaremaster316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:06 PM   #42
Donnie Darko

True. I don't think people credit Batman Begins enough with that. I'd say the main reason BB didn't so as well is because some people were like "ugh another Batman" and then The Dark Knight did so well because people were like "yes! Another Batman movie!"

Donnie Darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:49 PM   #43
superhero
Side-Kick

if ihad to chose i argee batman begins is better moive i did enjoy the amazing spider-man their both my two favorite super heros. i enjoyed them about the same for moives my favorits are
the Agveners
the dark night risses
the amazing spider-man

superhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:41 AM   #44
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squaremaster316 View Post
Take Batman Begins out of the picture, and TDK would not have been as successful financially. It was easily the biggest reason why TDK did as well as it did.

Even if everything else had been the exact same with TDK's production, if it had been the official reboot after B&R, it may have done b/w Iron Man 2 to TASM numbers.
You are absolutely right. The Batman brand was in the toilet prior to the Nolan films, thanks largely to Batman & Robin but also the wretched Catwoman. When I first saw the Batman Begins teaser in the theatre the reaction was very much, 'not another stupid Batman film'. Kind of like what you would see with Police Academy movies back in the day, or Scary Movie sequels now.

Batman Begins was about rebuilding the brand, not setting records. TDK would have not done nearly as well had the character's credibility not been restored first.

I said much the same thing when people were overreacting to the relatively poor gross of XM:FC. FC didn't do poorly because people didn't like it. It did poorly because the previous two films were awful.

Kahran Ramsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:05 PM   #45
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

I like The Amazing Spider-Man, but Batman Begins is the best superhero movie ever IMHO.

redfirebird2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:56 PM   #46
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Is this thread for real?

Batman Begins. It crafted a near-perfect cinematic origin story for Batman. Unfortunately for The Amazing Spider-Man, Sam Raimi already did that. If you want to complain about organic webshooters or the MJ being too much of a downer or even the GG suit, that's fine. But the first hour of SM1 is near flawless.

TASM's biggest problem is it needlessly retold SM1's story but tried to be "different" by infusing it with a style that sometimes worked and sometimes felt like a pale imitation of Chris Nolan's take on Batman.

With that said, I have a really good feeling about TASM2. I think Webb and Sony learned their lesson and are keeping Webb's more "mature" tone while (hopefully) jettisoning the parents angle and uneven darkness.

But in the case of TASM? It does not hold a candle to SM1, much less BB.

Just my opinion.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:12 AM   #47
kedrell
Correction, I AM SWISS!!!

SM1 is 1/2 a decent movie(1st half til Macy Gray and the GG show up) and half a s***-storm of a movie. Ultimately it evens out IMO to a film that ever so barely passes muster and avoids being a full on bad movie. TASM was IMO the best non-Marvel made Marvel character film to date. It jettisoned the Steve Urkel-ish sensibilities of the Raimiverse. Thank God! I couldn't take any more of that crap.

But even though BB is saddled with Katie Holmes/Rachel Dawes, i.e. Ms. "I'll singlehandedly make sure this film never reaches greatness" I'd still give it the edge over TASM, just not by a whole lot.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:03 AM   #48
Razgriz-Specter
Side-Kick

The best live action Batman and best superhero movie vs an ok Spiderman that is worse than the first 2.
Begins is an easy win.

Razgriz-Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:36 PM   #49
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
SM1 is 1/2 a decent movie(1st half til Macy Gray and the GG show up) and half a s***-storm of a movie. Ultimately it evens out IMO to a film that ever so barely passes muster and avoids being a full on bad movie. TASM was IMO the best non-Marvel made Marvel character film to date. It jettisoned the Steve Urkel-ish sensibilities of the Raimiverse. Thank God! I couldn't take any more of that crap.

But even though BB is saddled with Katie Holmes/Rachel Dawes, i.e. Ms. "I'll singlehandedly make sure this film never reaches greatness" I'd still give it the edge over TASM, just not by a whole lot.
If you want to call Maguire's Peter Steve Urkel, can I call Garfield's Edward Cullen?

Yes, I would agree that the second half of SM1 is not as strong as the first half. But that first half is nearly perfect. And the second half has plenty of strong stuff, like Simmon's JJJ, the upside down kiss, the entire Thanksgiving sequence beginning with Norman getting there, GG vs. Spidey in the abandoned warehouse at the end and the final swing.

TASM just does not have much that sticks out of mind after seeing it other than they got Spidey's in-costume personality right but the screenplay really disserviced Garfield out of costume as they made Peter such a tool. That and the Lizard sucked. And I say this as a fan of the Lizard who has waited over a decade to see him on screen. Imagine my disappointment.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:06 PM   #50
TheSpectacular
Christian and proud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahran Ramsus View Post

I said much the same thing when people were overreacting to the relatively poor gross of XM:FC. FC didn't do poorly because people didn't like it. It did poorly because the previous film was awful.
Fixed

Guardians of the Galaxy- 4/10
TheSpectacular is online now   Reply With Quote