The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 12:30 AM   #826
ericadawn16
Side-Kick

Default Re: Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show? - Part 1

I still say it was a LMD. We only saw him do the retinal scan to get into the high security vault, we didn't see what exactly was taken out of it.

It could have just been the gun or it could have been the gun AND the LMD especially since he seems alive and well in that last helicarrier scene.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:32 AM   #827
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

http://tvline.com/2013/04/25/joss-wh...r-name-change/
Sounds like the core of this show will be the agents and what they experience in each episode, but the appeal of the show will be the world that these agents occupy. You won't have one without the other, which is exactly what I wanted and expected.
Quote:
Will the S.H.I.E.L.D. series capitalize on a cross-platform synergy, to the delight of fans?
“What we’re trying to do is open the door for that — but that’s not the door to the main room,” Whedon stresses. “The big house is that S.H.I.E.L.D. has to work on its own. It can’t be an Easter egg farm. It’s got to be a show with characters you care about week to week, that if you’ve never seen a Marvel movie you can turn into.”

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
Old 04-27-2013, 01:14 AM   #828
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericadawn16 View Post
I still say it was a LMD. We only saw him do the retinal scan to get into the high security vault, we didn't see what exactly was taken out of it.

It could have just been the gun or it could have been the gun AND the LMD especially since he seems alive and well in that last helicarrier scene.

Coulson was not alive and well on the Helicarrier bridge in the last scene. That was a different black-suited SHIELD agent walking through. There are stills of him floating about that show clearly that he was played by a different actor. Also, if that had been Coulson, Agent Hill would have at least done a double-take when he passed her since she thought he was dead.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:01 AM   #829
samsnee
Side-Kick

I'm not a doctor, but I'm pretty sure holding your breath doesn't stop your heart from beating.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:21 AM   #830
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsnee View Post
I'm not a doctor, but I'm pretty sure holding your breath doesn't stop your heart from beating.
No, it doesn't. Like I said earlier, an EMT with a stethoscope or (an EKG machine) would have caught it. They would at least have tried to take Coulson's blood pressure, and even with the massive blood loss he would have had one if his heart was still beating.

This would be harder to swallow than an LMD or zombification, if holding his breath is the explanation Whedon used. That's why I don't buy the spoiler. It's just too amateurish.

By the way, Clark Gregg posted this on Twitter:

Quote:
Clark Gregg
@clarkgregg
True or false, spoilers suck.
He could have been referring to this or Iron Man 3, but it's equally valid.

Old 04-27-2013, 10:15 AM   #831
Whiskey Tango
1964 ~ 2014

Maybe it's... just a huge oversimplification. Maybe Fury just ordered the EMT's into silence and had Coulson transported out in a hurry, where they were then able to start patching him up. Or it's the in-universe explanation everyone is given but as the show progresses we start getting hints that something more was going on. Or something.

But I just can't buy "holds his breath and remains perfectly still despite a sucking chest wound" and I don't think Whedon would write something like that and be satisfied with it either.

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 04-27-2013, 10:28 AM   #832
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Even in non-sci-fi series, people come up with better explanations for how people appear to be dead (eg neurotoxins, people being trained to lower their heart rate/ given drugs to do that, actually allowing someone to die for a few minutes and then reviving them etc). It's been done hundreds of times.

Holding your breath and lying still is like something a teenager thought up. At least copy one of these other methods.

Nominate your favourite Movie theme of all time for the upcoming tournament: http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=469413
Old 04-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #833
Raiden
The Captain

So according to Whedon, ABC hasn't picked up this series yet? I wonder why they haven't committed to this new series yet.

Old 04-27-2013, 01:20 PM   #834
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsnee View Post
I'm not a doctor, either, but I *did* stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, so I assure you there is no possible way he could've held his breath to pretend to be dead with a giant freakin' spear sticking out of his chest.

I'm positive that either the rumor is altogether wrong, or else the "sources" only got a small bit of the real information, and that there's no way in hell Joss Whedon would let such a lame deus ex pass by, when there's plenty of other possible explanations for Coulson's return to a super-powered universe.

By the way: I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. That was an outright lie, and I'm going to go to hell for it. Sorry.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 04-27-2013, 01:53 PM   #835
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Raven View Post
Even in non-sci-fi series, people come up with better explanations for how people appear to be dead (eg neurotoxins, people being trained to lower their heart rate/ given drugs to do that, actually allowing someone to die for a few minutes and then reviving them etc). It's been done hundreds of times.

Holding your breath and lying still is like something a teenager thought up. At least copy one of these other methods.
This is why I am convinced that /Film either got punked by a source or just pulled that out of their collective rear ends. Joss Whedon has dedicated his career to killing characters and occasionally resurrecting them. Would he write something so stupefyingly stupid? Highly doubtful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
So according to Whedon, ABC hasn't picked up this series yet? I wonder why they haven't committed to this new series yet.

Whedon might not be privy to ABC's decision-making or he might not be able to confirm that it has been picked up. With as long as he's been playing pilot roulette, he probably doesn't want to jinx it by speaking out of turn or taking anything for granted.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:06 PM   #836
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
Maybe it's... just a huge oversimplification. Maybe Fury just ordered the EMT's into silence and had Coulson transported out in a hurry, where they were then able to start patching him up. Or it's the in-universe explanation everyone is given but as the show progresses we start getting hints that something more was going on. Or something.

But I just can't buy "holds his breath and remains perfectly still despite a sucking chest wound" and I don't think Whedon would write something like that and be satisfied with it either.
I agree. I'm hoping they'll go down the LMD route, as I love things being close to the comics.

Old 04-27-2013, 04:19 PM   #837
InternetPeople
Petty... and tiny

The only folks who needed to be fooled into action by Coulson's death were the Avengers. Coulson didn't need to fool the EMT's or doctors, or even Agent Hill.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #838
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetPeople View Post
The only folks who needed to be fooled into action by Coulson's death were the Avengers. Coulson didn't need to fool the EMT's or doctors, or even Agent Hill.

The supposed spoiler specifically stated that Coulson held his breath in order to fake his death. None of the Avengers even saw his body after he died, so he wasn't holding his breath to fake them out. The only people he would have been trying to fool would have been the medical staff who treated him or handled his body. As any number of us have noted, holding one's breath isn't going to trick trained first responders, doctors or nurses.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:11 PM   #839
Sawyer
F***ITY BYE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
In regards to a pickup, we would know just about as soon as he would. ABC wouldn't officially pick it up without putting the word out.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:13 PM   #840
OB12
Side-Kick

Quote:
Will the S.H.I.E.L.D. series capitalize on a cross-platform synergy, to the delight of fans? “What we’re trying to do is open the door for that — but that’s not the door to the main room,” Whedon stresses. “The big house is that S.H.I.E.L.D. has to work on its own. It can’t be an Easter egg farm. It’s got to be a show with characters you care about week to week, that if you’ve never seen a Marvel movie you can turn into.”
I like this little bit of information about the show. To me, it kinda confirmed what I hoped this show would be. After it gets its legs under it and is hopefully successful, they may look to use the show as a way to introduce new characters for their own spinoffs or inclusion in any of the films. Very excited to see this show.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:19 PM   #841
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

As soon as anyone pokes him in a certain way, he'd exhale. It seems dumb to have to hold his breath anyway. One could argue why couldn't the medical staff be in on it? Then he wouldn't have to jump through these ridiculous hoops when he's injured.

I would rather he died, even for a few minutes and then they revived him, so that he could face issues of his own mortality.

Nominate your favourite Movie theme of all time for the upcoming tournament: http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=469413
Old 04-28-2013, 01:13 PM   #842
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

I do think there is something to the life model decoy thing. There is going to be more coulson's character, he said that. I still think there is something else about him. I am still gunna trust my gut with the initial thought that he is not human.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:27 PM   #843
InternetPeople
Petty... and tiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
The supposed spoiler specifically stated that Coulson held his breath in order to fake his death. None of the Avengers even saw his body after he died, so he wasn't holding his breath to fake them out. The only people he would have been trying to fool would have been the medical staff who treated him or handled his body. As any number of us have noted, holding one's breath isn't going to trick trained first responders, doctors or nurses.

You missed the unwritten part of what I was saying. Coulson wasn't fooling anyone and those that he could have fooled did not need to be. There is a lot more to this "spoiler" that we don't know as what we do know is rather weak.

It would not surprise me if Coulson says "I was holding my breath" to deflect inquiries into his death (it sounds like a line Coulson would deliver), but as the season progresses we see he was just dodging the question.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:56 PM   #844
T"Challa
Side-Kick

According to deadline, SHIELD has already been slotted

Quote:
Drama Lucky 7 may live up to its name. The blue-collar ensemble about gas station employees who win the lottery seemed a little off brand for ABC and its glitzy dramas. But I hear the project based on a British format, which hadn’t drawn much attention, came in above expectations, making it a contender in what’s shaping to be a very tight race. It’s tight because two slots have already been penciled in for Marvel‘s S.H.I.E.L.D. and the Once Upon A Time spinoff, whose early footage I hear ABC brass liked.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:24 AM   #845
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by T"Challa View Post
According to deadline, SHIELD has already been slotted
Link for that Deadline article: http://www.deadline.com/2013/04/prim...2/#more-484921

Sounds good, but I'll be happier when it's officially announced by ABC. Hopefully the good things the execs have seen in the pilot don't include Coulson holding his breath, because that would almost be a deal-breaker for me.

Last edited by xeno000; 04-29-2013 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Missed 'H' in hopefully. Damn dying laptop!
Old 04-29-2013, 12:45 AM   #846
Whiskey Tango
1964 ~ 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Sounds good, but I'll be happier when it's officially announced by ABC. opefully the good things the execs have seen in the pilot don't include Coulson holding his breath, because that would almost be a deal-breaker for me.
There's no way that's legit, unless it's obvious and piss poor misdirection.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:23 AM   #847
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey Tango View Post
There's no way that's legit, unless it's obvious and piss poor misdirection.
My first thought when I read that "spoiler" was that the same Marvel source who has been savagely punking El Maybe recently had a go at /Film, too. It sounds like those Planet Hulk and GotG in IM3 rumors -- outrageous but just barely plausible, later turns out to be false.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:07 PM   #848
Whiskey Tango
1964 ~ 2014

Marvel: y u no like our scoops?

Old 04-29-2013, 12:50 PM   #849
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
I agree. I'm hoping they'll go down the LMD route, as I love things being close to the comics.
I like things being close to comics when they're explained. They haven't explained how SHIELD has robots that can deliver moving speeches, or where the perfectly healthy real Coulson was when the helicarrier was going down and he had something more important to do than go stop Loki. Similarly, if they used the Infinity Formula, or any other macguffins out of the blue - especially those that would have been very useful to SHIELD often but were used nowhere else other than to retcon - to explain away someone's clear death, I'd be pretty miffed. That's bad writing.

Coulson's resurrection deserves something that is thought out and meaningful to the character rather than cut and paste in things from the 616 that clearly don't exist in the MCU.

Old 04-29-2013, 01:45 PM   #850
Destructus86
Side-Kick

I agree, the holding his breath thing is not legit. It makes no sense considering he had a hole in his chest. He likely was near death when Fury saw an opportunity. Had him revived and held in medical so he could use the fake death as a way to push the Avengers into action.