The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Old 04-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #76
Spuzz
The Spuzziest of Spuzzes

Default Re: Where are the Avengers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyeLorean View Post
When people ask "why aren't the avengers helping Tony in Iron Man 3?", the best response is "because then it wouldn't be Iron Man 3, it would be Avengers 2".
Well ,yes. That too.

Spuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:22 PM   #77
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
If I recall correctly, Tony actually has a comment in the movie saying this isn't a job for superheroes.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
AnneFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:47 PM   #78
DyeLorean
Cinemaphonic Quadrovision

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneFan View Post
If I recall correctly, Tony actually has a comment in the movie saying this isn't a job for superheroes.
Yeah, I think Rhodes says something like "this is a government issue".

DyeLorean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:50 PM   #79
-JKR-
Side-Kick

When the kid keeps asking him about the Avengers, what Tony says is basically a nicer version of "Who the **** cares about the Avengers, leave me alone with that stuff"; which I took as the writers basically telling nerds "quit bothering me with those questions about 'The Avengers' here, I'm writing freaking 'Iron Man 3'!" Such a genius movie!

...and that's exactly my opinion on the question: WHO THE HECK CARES ABOUT WHERE THE AVENGERS ARE? This is 'IRON MAN THREE'. And it's AWESOME! Finally, another great one after Favreau's original 'Iron Man'!

Last edited by -JKR-; 04-27-2013 at 10:56 PM.
-JKR- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:34 PM   #80
ShadowBoxer
Side-Kick

Well... I assume the reason Cap, Black Widow and Hawkeye don't help is because Captain America Winter Solider takes place around the same time as Iron Man 3. And with Thor we don't know if the bifrost is fixed yet during the time frame of Ironman 3, and I hear Banner has a cameo in Iron man 3 (thanks to people posting spoilers all over the internet, Facebook, Twitter, SHH, Youtube) but Hulk wouldn't be much help here. However, I think it would have been cool to have Tony and Bruce working on the Hulk Buster armor just in case Hulk became a threat.

ShadowBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:22 PM   #81
Vaibow
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiden View Post
Good example.

People also need to realize that the actors are contracted for a certain number of movies, and Marvel cannot allow them to appear on other people's movies and thus "used up" the movies they're contracted with. And an Avengers movie is an extremely expensive one, an event film that is more suited to show up every few years or so. If the threat isn't as big as an alien invasion like in TA, there's no reason for every Avenger to show up, either.
A terrorist attack on a malibu mansion is hardly going to get the team to asemble.. when they get there, what would they do??

To have a team waiting around, for another attack, again, not knowing where, is silly.

Stark was presumed dead, he then went and found the 'terrorist' - he could have easily contacted shield in that time to say it's under control.

If a hostage situation, with nuclear threat or a global disaster is on the cards, then you would call upon a roided up 80 year old, giant green stress attack and nordic/alien god.

Vaibow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:03 PM   #82
C. Lee
I'm not old...I'm ancient
SHH! Administrator

I haven't seen iron Man 3 and I haven't read any of the comments in here....my simple question to the original poster who asked the question is.....do you worry about things like this when reading the comics? I mean, personally....if I buy an Iron Man comic....I don't spend all my time that I'm reading it wondering where the Avengers are. It's an Iron Man comic....It's an Iron Man movie....if the Avengers show up in it....cool. If they don't....no big deal....because I'm reading or watching an Iron Man comic or movie.

C. Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #83
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
I haven't seen iron Man 3 and I haven't read any of the comments in here....my simple question to the original poster who asked the question is.....do you worry about things like this when reading the comics? I mean, personally....if I buy an Iron Man comic....I don't spend all my time that I'm reading it wondering where the Avengers are. It's an Iron Man comic....It's an Iron Man movie....if the Avengers show up in it....cool. If they don't....no big deal....because I'm reading or watching an Iron Man comic or movie.
You're so cool and logical.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:50 PM   #84
Silvermoth
Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Lee View Post
I don't think if the Avengers are mentioned it becomes an Avengers movie. I don't know why people are assuming that. Black Widow is in Captain America 2, is that an Avengers movie now?

I just thought we would have at least a scene where Tony explains to Shield or one of the other Avengers, no this is my business and I want to deal with it alone.

I like someone's explanation that his reluctance to call on the Avengers was related to his post traumatic stress disorder though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyeLorean View Post
S.H.I.E.L.D. was mentioned in Iron Man 3.
I thought they would have more of a presence, not just a quick throwaway line.

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:13 PM   #85
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
I don't think if the Avengers are mentioned it becomes an Avengers movie. I don't know why people are assuming that. Black Widow is in Captain America 2, is that an Avengers movie now?

I just thought we would have at least a scene where Tony explains to Shield or one of the other Avengers, no this is my business and I want to deal with it alone.

I like someone's explanation that his reluctance to call on the Avengers was related to his post traumatic stress disorder though.

I thought they would have more of a presence, not just a quick throwaway line.
Because there is absolutely no need for them to be there. It's Tony's movie, focusing too much on them would mess up the specific tone that Black set up for the movie, hence it's a better movie self contained, and hopefully the same is done for Thor.

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Sharkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:23 PM   #86
The Englishman
Marching On Together

In reality I thing it all boils down to the fact that one of the major criticisms about Iron Man 2 was that it focused too much on Shield and establishing the MCU and not enough on just being an Iron Man film and the response was the exact opposite in this movie.

"For England James?" "No......For me"

"The things i do for England."
The Englishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:27 PM   #87
J.Howlett

It's inferred in the script of Iron Man Three that SHIELD definitely deals more in the "superhero threat" aspect of homeland security. Hence the reassignment of Rhodes in the script.

And in a way, Coulson kind of makes that same statement in the first Iron Man picture. It wasn't too noticeable, their absence in this film.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:26 AM   #88
Kabuki_Jo
Side-Kick

Smile Re: Where are the Avengers?

Where are the Avengers?

A: Minding their own business.

Kabuki_Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:47 AM   #89
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

In the trailers and tv spots Tony says it good old fashioned revenge.

He
calls out mandarin after happy is hurt in the manns chinese theatre blast

Also seeing as where Tony's headspace is at in the movie
suffering from possible post-traumatic stress from the events of the avengers.

The reason he was building all those armors and the nano tech that allowed him to home his armor in on himself was because he wanted to be better prepared and able to defend himself from any situation that may arise. Tony didn't want to be vunerable or be dependent on the avengers.

Tony has always struggled to be a team player in the movies. It makes sense he would try and go it alone rather than call the avengers.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:47 PM   #90
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

What is the need to rationalize this? The truth is, it makes little sense, but this was always going to be the case after the Avengers unless they got truly creative.

The idea that all the movies happen in the exact same time period and thus everyone is preoccupied is ridiculous. That it is simply a solo film and thus doesn't matter, is ridiculous. They set up the shared universe.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:11 PM   #91
Mysteryman
Side-Kick

The Avengers are off filming their own individual films.

Mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:07 AM   #92
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

This is why I'm against the idea of the Justice League, why would Bruce Wayne need to do anything with any amount of effort knowing that Superman or Green Lantern could do it for him with a minimal amount of fuss. It's very rare that an actual Justice League story feels right to me and usually that's because it focuses on the characters rather than any actual logic. The truth of the matter is, logically...shield would be up on this and saved the day in half the time, once you open up the world like the solo films can either ignore the logic or just get sucked up in it and turn into a crappy movie.

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Sharkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:09 AM   #93
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post
This is why I'm against the idea of the Justice League, why would Bruce Wayne need to do anything with any amount of effort knowing that Superman or Green Lantern could do it for him with a minimal amount of fuss. It's very rare that an actual Justice League story feels right to me and usually that's because it focuses on the characters rather than any actual logic. The truth of the matter is, logically...shield would be up on this and saved the day in half the time, once you open up the world like the solo films can either ignore the logic or just get sucked up in it and turn into a crappy movie.
That kind of logic becomes an issue in some solo movies as well. The most apparent is that Superman is a good guy through and through but still seemingly doesn't do much with his powers for the people in the world that actually do need help and instead mess around playing reporter and protecting the relatively wealthy people in the biggest city on Earth. So some logic is often best ignored in a lot of comics, not just the combined universe ones.

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:09 AM   #94
Drizzle
Band User

I'm wondering, if Captain America: The Winter Soldier does indeed take place during the events of Iron Man 3 if they will make some sort of reference to The Mandarin's threats. That seemed like a global issue that SHIELD wouldn't likely ignore, even if they had bigger fish to fry.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:13 AM   #95
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post
This is why I'm against the idea of the Justice League, why would Bruce Wayne need to do anything with any amount of effort knowing that Superman or Green Lantern could do it for him with a minimal amount of fuss.
Because it's adventure fiction and a hero who has his buddies do all his work for him sucks.

Seriously. It's not a difficult concept. No one has ever gotten hung up over this except overzealous nerds with too much internet access.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Whiskey Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:53 AM   #96
Leenie
Make Up!

It's easy for me to think why Tony didn't call for help from his "Superhero Boy Band":

His anxiety. The very mention of New York made him fall apart. I highly doubt he would have been up to the task of saving the world with Fury on his back and his "war comrades" fighting side by side with him. This was a battle he needed to overcome on his own.

(By the way, speaking of his anxiety, I just have to mention how great of an actor RDJ is, and how good the script was when dealing with this subject. As someone who still suffers from anxiety from time to time, I thought RDJ's portrayal of it was scarily accurate. It hit close to home, especially during his first anxiety attack. That's why I believe his anxiety would have left him ineffective if the rest of the Avengers and S.H.I.E.L.D. had come to help).

(6) Captain America: The Winter Soldier, (7) Guardians Of The Galaxy, (8) Kick-Ass,
(9) Batman (89)
(10) Captain America: The First Avenger
Leenie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:32 AM   #97
bullets
bang bang

They didn't know where Mandarin was located so it's possible Shield was trying to act on it. I do hope there is some type of reference or explanation in CA2. At least Thor can say he was in Asgard.

bullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:02 AM   #98
Razgriz-Specter
Side-Kick

Man people feel this way about the Avengers to Iron Man,
i'd hate to see what people would be saying in a solo Spiderman if people had gotten him in Avengers.

Razgriz-Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:56 AM   #99
cleverusername8
Side-Kick

Thor is definitely away at this point in the story - that was pretty clear.

SHIELD is strangely silent in this film... I think this is the first movie since Incredible Hulk where Nick Fury or any SHIELD involvment has been missing. This really felt like an isolated Iron Man story which I think was the point. Plus, as harsh as it may sound, SHIELD usually has bigger fish to fry than some maniac running around with exploding henchmen. Cap works for them now, so if they won't get involved, he won't either. Plus, the government seemed to have quite a bit of faith in Iron Patriot. I doubt they'd even be interested in calling Cap in alongside him.

Banner, as others have said, would probably not be much help. He still feels very apprehensive about the Hulk, so he won't want to risk making a mess as the big guy - even if he can "Hulk out" on demand. But in terms of the story, it's pretty hard to justify Banner getting involved anyway..

The Mandarin was known across America as a terrorist who was most likely positioned somewhere in the Middle East (or so people believed). The bombings weren't predicted very well and therefore would be hard to prevent by any of the Avengers, let alone Hulk.

Then, when it was revealed that Mandarin was a ruse and that Killian was the real "Mandarin", crap was already hitting the fan and Tony was in the moment. During that whole oil rig scene with the Extremis soldiers jumping around and fighting Iron Man suits was when Tony knew what he was up against. Calling Banner wouldn't do much more than waste time and leave him vulnerable. It would take a lot of time for him to even get to the rig to help Tony out - assuming that he was off somewhere doing his own thing.

So after all, leaving the other Avengers out just felt right. I hope the trend continues through the rest of these Phase 2 movies.

cleverusername8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:06 AM   #100
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

"Where are the Avengers", that I can overlook.

The bigger question for me is "Where is S.H.I.E.L.D. when all these acts of terrorism occur here and there, and there are fire-breathing soldiers arising".

"Films are worth seeing period, even the bad ones." - Blue Sugar
Norek is offline   Reply With Quote