The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Marvel Films

Old 04-22-2013, 06:08 PM   #26
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Default Re: If the Guauntlet fits, you must admit .... it's time for Thanos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0xyt0xin View Post
Are you sure they arent?

Iron Monger < Whiplash < Mandarin
Lizard < Electro < Green Goblin
Scarecrow < Joker < Bane

Seems like the good ones are. Or if you prefer, lets get away from CBMs...

Le Chiffre < Greene < Silva
Barbosa < Davy Jones < Calypso
Nero < John Harrison (or whoever the hell Cumberbatch is playing)

So lets take your theory and run with it.

"it's about compelling storytelling and interesting characters. It's perfectly acceptable for the Avengers to fight Thanos in one film, and Paste-Pot Pete in the next"

Lets assume that for the sake of argument, all movies ever have compelling storytelling and interesting characters. Not too much of a stretch when it comes to Marvel/Disney. What then, is the next step as far as improvement? Probably creating a series that progresses logically and rationally keeps us intrigued with the conflict and action sequences? So then wouldnt part of that "compelling storytelling" include Joss Whedon making an intelligent trilogy and knowing how it progresses before telling it? Knowing where it ends before it begins? Why progress in a downward direction regarding threat, and an upward direction regarding the overall power level and teamwork functionality of The Avengers? That, my friend, seems unintelligent.

I think we might have to agree to disagree on this one Sam. I would not pay to see Paste Pot Pete after already seeing The Avengers face Thanos.
that's your opinion. For batman, I think it goes scarecrow/ra's<<Bane<<<Joker

Old 04-22-2013, 08:09 PM   #27
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Yeah.
I love Thanos, obviously, but movie audiences tend to love villains who are layered and complex instead of one-dimensional. Loki and Magneto and The Joker -- especially Ledger's version -- are very multifaceted and fascinating; one-noters like Red Skull, Abomination, Whiplash, Parallax, Ironmonger, and Topher's Venom far less so.

It'd be hard to add layers beyond "megalomania to the nth extreme" to a character like Thanos.
It does help to be a layered villain but it doesn't always need to be. I mean people love General Zod and Lex Luther but their portrayals aren't always layered, they're just played very well. The other villains you named just had nothing compelling about them really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
well, if my belief that Marvel NOW is sort of working with Marvel Studios, they can sort of take a back store from Thanos Rising, which I am MORE than sure you read the first issue sam.

That could be template maybe, depending on how fans react to that, it could be a way to go to make Thanos multilayered.
I was just thinking this exact thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
You'd consider The Joker "layered"? Personally I found him more of a meglomaniac. It was just the performance and little personality nuances that lifted it up. It's not like we got to get into his backstory and the kinds of things that make up who he is as a person. In fact, Alfred basically handed you that on big neon cards with his explanation of how some people just want to watch the world burn.

I just think there's all kinds of possibilities for Thanos. He's got a fantastic name #1. I hope whomever they get has a commanding, booming voice. I would be so pissed if he got the Red Skull treatment. I'm not even a big time comic reader but in what few things I've now caught up with in regards to him, I'm already sold. There's just something about the character.
Edited it for you.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:44 PM   #28
metaphysician
Side-Kick

*patiently waits for everyone to be disappointed when Thanos isn't actually the main villain of Avengers 2 or GotG*

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:47 PM   #29
Da Games Elite
Side-Kick

I think villains like memorable villains. Memorable does not necessarily equal layered. Take, for example, Jack Nicholson's Joker. He wasn't a layered, nuanced character, but the general public loved the character. If you think that a villain needs to be layered to be memorable, may I direct you to Star Wars. Three of its most popular villains, the Emperor, Boba Fett, and Darth Maul, are all straight up bad guys without any sympathetic history or back story presented in the films, nor are they ever shown to even be capable of doing good...but people love them because they're evil and badass. They leave an impact.

Thanos does not need to be sympathetic. Just awe inspiring.

Da Games Elite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:03 AM   #30
Hyde
Ooga-Chaka

Who thinks that Infinity Gauntlet will be over and done with in A2? I always see a lot talk about it on the forums (and I bet most of those who do haven't read the comic), but I personally can't see it happening and I really hope it doesn't.

The IG storyline has enough potential to cover at least two, maybe three movies IMO.

I still believe in heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terry78 View Post
"I tell ya, that Jennifer Lawrenshinch, I'd like to put my olive in her martini."
Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:34 AM   #31
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovieMasterCBM View Post
Who thinks that Infinity Gauntlet will be over and done with in A2? I always see a lot talk about it on the forums (and I bet most of those who do haven't read the comic), but I personally can't see it happening and I really hope it doesn't.

The IG storyline has enough potential to cover at least two, maybe three movies IMO.
It depends on whether or not the Gauntlet has already been constructed. So far, the references to the Gauntlet in the MCU show it already in its entirety in Odin's Treasury room. If that's Marvel Studios' story and they're stickin' to it, then a Gauntlet/Gems series isn't going to happen (because it's *already* happened in the cinematic world), and the focus instead will be on Thanos getting his glove back.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:44 AM   #32
Chewy
REDACTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
*patiently waits for everyone to be disappointed when Thanos isn't actually the main villain of Avengers 2 or GotG*
He'll make his big appearance at some point, and that's good enough for me. I kinda like the uncertainty about when

Chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:45 PM   #33
spideymouse
Side-Kick

From Jim Starlin's Facebook page:
Quote:
Setting the record straight: It keeps getting reported that I claimed that Thanos will be in both the upcoming ‘Guardians of the [Galaxy]’ and ‘The Avengers 2’ movies. Sort of true but not really. All I said, in some interview way back when, was that I had heard (as in convention scuttlebutt) that the Titan would be in both movies. I have absolutely nothing to do with Marvel films and not all that much with Marvel Comics. So I am no reliable source to quote on anything to do with what’s happening in any future Marvel film.

spideymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:05 PM   #34
blalex620
Comics, Books, Games

^^^ Was just about to say. As much as some of us may not like it it looks like Whedon might be saving Thanos til Phase 3

http://movies.cosmicbooknews.com/con...rt-whats-going