The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > Misc. Comics Films

View Poll Results: In your opinion, which saga was better?
Sam Raimi's Spider-Man 39 25.66%
Christopher Nolan's Batman 113 74.34%
Voters: 152. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #76
Anno_Domini
Banned User

Default Re: Sam Raimi's Spider-Man Trilogy vs Christopher Nolan's Batman Trilogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
Rachel in BB at least felt like a caring surrogate sister
That makes it sound nasty when you think that Bruce loved her, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squaremaster316 View Post
Rachel Dawes was at least proactive. MJ was just around to be saved by Peter every 5 seconds.
To be fair, though, Batman did have to save Rachel in both films she was in as well, just not in the final battles as was the case with MJ.

Anno_Domini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:49 PM   #77
Squaremaster316
Side-Kick

Default Re: Sam Raimi's Spider-Man Trilogy vs Christopher Nolan's Batman Trilogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anno_Domini View Post
To be fair, though, Batman did have to save Rachel in both films she was in as well, just not in the final battles as was the case with MJ.
In one scene, Rachel is pointing a gun at the convict and Batman pulls her away before she has a chance to pull the trigger, 'saving' her in a similar way that she helped 'save' him years earlier by preventing her from taking a life. A much better utilization of her character.

Even the earlier scene showed her attempting to get information/confessions out of Crane before he drugged her, which is more than MJ did at any point in any SP film.

Squaremaster316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:49 PM   #78
Anno_Domini
Banned User

I am aware of all of this. Only saying that, in only fairness, we have to know that Batman does indeed save Rachel in both films that she's in. Of course she's much more proactive and no one will argue with that.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:49 AM   #79
Leetank
Battlecruiser Operational

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCQxhof9RlI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg1cDKYmK98

this scene > spiderman

Leetank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 03:05 AM   #80
henzINNIT
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grommers View Post
Now with SM3, You have a very different approach, very formulaic movies, however there is some clear success behind this franchise for this reason.

It's let down is, how much does Peter really grow? He gets better at his powers etc, and at the end of spider-man 1, he realizes he is spiderman, than he realizes he may not want to be spider-man and needs to balance his life, and than I honestly dont know what you could argue the third one is about.
3 is about being humbled, learning the strength of forgiveness over vengeance. Parker is being consumed by his own fame and slipping down an ugly path. It is a pretty interesting theme for a superhero story and could have been very powerful if handled better.

You can see the elements in play: Spidey fueled by revenge, coupled with his friend Harry who has gone the same way. Peter learns from Harry how to forgive, and then you have Sandman as the man who did wrong who wants forgiveness, and on the other hand you have Venom who is too consumed by vengeance to be saved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visualiza View Post
Nolan also can't direct a fight sequence to save his life.
Very true. He has a lot of strengths but action set-pieces are not among them. I found the Bats vs Bane brawls to be a step up though, not in choreography, but in pure intensity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
By that arguement then Spider-man 3 already broke that curse long before TDKR came around. It's fresh on RT and more than half(a majority) of the GA liked it and it was the highest grosser WW of the series.

But I don't accept those terms at all. Whether the curse is broken is completely a subjective thing and each person will see it differently. As far as I am concerned it really doesn't matter if TDKR was a good movie so as to break the curse(though as far as I'm concerned it's not a good movie at all) since I regard TDK as one of the worst CBM's of all time and so a crappy entry negates the possibility of a complete trilogy of good movies. As far as I'm concerned the only good one is BB.

The main point is that no measurable success is real proof that a movie is actually good. That will always be up to the individual. Most like Nolan's trilogy and I accept that. Most of the GA likes Bay's TF trilogy as well.
Post of thread? Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squaremaster316 View Post
What makes TDKR a better film than Spider-Man 3 and X-Men 3 is the fact that the film has a much more streamlined feel to it. It never feels like it's being diverted by pointless, unrelated side plots and you can actually feel its approach towards a conclusion, plus, what side plots there were actually felt developed and had successfully completed their respective arcs. X3 had numerous side plots that either went nowhere or ended too abruptly, and Spider-Man 3 was just all over the map.
This is why I find this comparison interesting. These two trilogies are the only two that have been seen through by one director.

I don't agree that SM3 was all over the map. If anything, I feel it had a slightly more natural progression than TDKR did. It came straight off of SM2, with Harry's inevitable turn and the turbulence of Peter and MJ's relationship. TDKR had the burden of following TDK, which was arguably a perfect end to Nolan's Batman story. There's a huge amount of time spent in the third film putting the pieces back in motion.

It's not fair to judge X-Men: The Last Stand by the same token, because Brett Ratner basically just shat out all of the progression Singer had built with the first 2 X-Men films. I'll try not to get into this though haha

henzINNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 11:48 PM   #81
Human Torch
I Can't Dance

Both are very comparable:

Spider-Man/Batman Begins: A faithful telling of the origin coupled with an enjoyable second half of Superheroics

Spider-Man 2/The Dark Knight: a somewhat overrated,but highly enjoyable sequel,where the stakes are raised and the villain steals the show (for the most part)

Spider-Man 3/TDKR Highly ambitious,somewhat over blown attempt to finish big.Neither is awful,but the fan community wants one or the other (or in some cases,Both) labeled "worst film eva!"

I gave Spider-Man the edge,since Raimi's films don't have the pretense of being ashamed of their comic book roots.Batman Begins is still one of my top 5 favorite CB movies,though.And Nolan's trilogy at least wiped away the nightmarish 90's bat-memories.

Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 02:05 AM   #82
Anno_Domini
Banned User

In no way is Spider-Man 2 or The Dark Knight "somewhat overrated".

In no way is Spider-Man 3 or The Dark Knight Rises even the "worst films eva", lol. As much as I hate S-M 3, I'd never call it that. Is it a disappointing film? You bet, but never the "worst film eva".

Old 04-27-2013, 07:58 AM   #83
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

I enjoyed the first two Spider-Man movies immensely. They were great, and really up there with the best comic book movies. But Spider-Man 3 was a huge let down and I thought it was one of the worst comic films so far.

I didn't feel the same levels of soaring or excitement with the Dark Knight Trilogy overall, but it was still good and had a more consistent tone throughout. I didn't find TDKR a big disappointment but enjoyed it a lot more. In fact, the team up between Batman and Catwoman at the end had me far more thrilled and excited than the team up between Peter and Harry against Sandman and Venom.

So TDKR ended on a much better and more satisfying note, and didn't leave a bad taste in my mouth, whereas Spider-Man 3 did.

So my answer is that I enjoyed Spider-Man 1 and 2 more as individual films, but enjoyed The Nolan Batman movies more as a trilogy.

Nominate your favourite Movie theme of all time for the upcoming tournament: http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=469413
Dark Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:52 AM   #84
Spider-Aziz
CAAAAKKEEE

Spider-Man 2 is more than somewhat overrated imo
TDK is easily better

Spider-Aziz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:29 PM   #85
Jordacar
The Endless One

In my view, Raimi's Spidey films are what the Burton/Schumacher Batman films wished they could be.

If you're looking for justice, you've come to the wrong place.
Jordacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 06:20 PM   #86
Kahran Ramsus
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordacar View Post
In my view, Raimi's Spidey films are what the Burton/Schumacher Batman films wished they could be.
I don't really see the comparison honestly. Maybe to the Schumacher films, but Burton seemed to be going for something different.

Kahran Ramsus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:31 AM   #87
Spider-Aziz
CAAAAKKEEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordacar View Post
In what way?

Spider-Aziz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:35 PM   #88
milost
Banned User

I think Raimi and Nolan did a great job with their respective characters until their third go. By movie three, it felt like they lost their mojo by going "bigger" and started copying themselves.

For me, they both had a solid, safe, first film, a fantastic second film and a mixed/disappointing third.

milost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:04 PM   #89
Jordacar
The Endless One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Aziz View Post
In what way?
Both the Raimi films and the Burton/Schumacher films are categorically style-over-substance, but the Spidey movies have more interesting and relatable characters and a more consistent tone, i.e. better substance.

If you're looking for justice, you've come to the wrong place.

Last edited by Jordacar; 04-29-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Jordacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #90
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

I like SM1/SM2 but dislike SM3. I love all three Nolan films. None of the 6 films in this discussion are perfect by any means, but Nolan hit higher highs while Raimi hit lower lows in these two trilogies.

redfirebird2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:09 PM   #91
DACrowe
Side-Kick

As a fan of Raimi's trilogy and defender of its overall impact despite its many, many faults...Nolan by a country mile.

All three of his Batman films are in my top 5 superhero movies while only one of Raimi's is. Beyond that, he made one of the best trilogies of all time with not a single bad film in the lot and, for my money, three great ones across the board (though TDK is far and away better than the other two).

I think there could be better comparisons made in these threads. Like Raimi trilogy vs. X-trilogy or SM1 vs. BB. A thread like this should be a blow out. And it is for obvious reasons.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:35 PM   #92
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Quote:
Of the 6 films that are in this bit I'd say only Begins was in any way epic. It covered years and multiple locations all over the world(ok, well...only 2 primary locations when you get down to it).
I know this is an older post, but really?

TDKR literally takes its scope out of the "street level" scope. When the military general says, "Get the president on the phone," it is officially out of the normal realm for Batman. Bane's plan of holding Gotham hostage for five months and leading a phony revolution that descends all of society into a chaotic rumble, culminating in an (unrealistic) clash of GCPD and terrorists just...

It reminded me of equal parts the French Revolution and GAngs of New York. It is on a pretty epic scope, whether you like the movie or not.

--John Adams
Old 05-02-2013, 12:02 AM   #93
kedrell
Aacha,cha,cha&InkaDinkaDo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DACrowe View Post
I know this is an older post, but really?

TDKR literally takes its scope out of the "street level" scope. When the military general says, "Get the president on the phone," it is officially out of the normal realm for Batman. Bane's plan of holding Gotham hostage for five months and leading a phony revolution that descends all of society into a chaotic rumble, culminating in an (unrealistic) clash of GCPD and terrorists just...

It reminded me of equal parts the French Revolution and GAngs of New York. It is on a pretty epic scope, whether you like the movie or not.
To me, saying something is epic is more indicative of time passed in story-time than any other factor. And BB was basically the life story of a guy from a little kid all the way to being Batman. The 5 months in TDKR really didn't feel in any way the same league. Now that's not to say a film that takes place over only months or a year can't feel epic as well. Hell, the whole quest in the LOTR films takes place over only 1 year and that feels plenty epic. But then it's chalked full of references to thousands of years of back story of the world it exists in so that will help.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:42 PM   #94
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Fair enough. I tend to view epic though as the scope of a story as opposed to time. There is no doubt that a story that spans decades is usually epic in scope, say Lawrence of Arabia, The Godfather or Gone with the Wind. But an epic can just as much be about a short span of time where tremendous world shattering events happen like Apocalypse Now or Gladiator.

For me, the fictional reality of TDKR, where a major American city descends into complete anarchy after a faux-revolution overthrows the rich and powerful, sets a stage far larger than any Batman film ever released. Most superhero films too. Batman is facing a challenge that is beyond fighting crime. He is fighting the complete dissolution of society.

--John Adams
Old 05-03-2013, 05:00 AM   #95
Silvermoth
Avenger

I loved the Batman series and there's no doubt it's more artful but Spider-man holds a special place for me. It's the first film I went to see by myself as a lad and it blew me away. I'll always love the first film and the second is one of the best films of all time. The third isn't as bad as people say.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:11 PM   #96
TheSpectacular
GERONIMO!!!!

The first two films in each were good. The last installments were......

Robocop-6.5 Non-Stop-8.5 Need for Speed-4 Captain America:The Winter Soldier-10
TheSpectacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #97
Anno_Domini
Banned User

TDKR was a great conclusion and the majority of who saw the film would agree.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:02 PM   #98
Victarion
The Iron Captain

Quote:
To me, saying something is epic is more indicative of time passed in story-time than any other factor. And BB was basically the life story of a guy from a little kid all the way to being Batman. The 5 months in TDKR really didn't feel in any way the same league. Now that's not to say a film that takes place over only months or a year can't feel epic as well. Hell, the whole quest in the LOTR films takes place over only 1 year and that feels plenty epic. But then it's chalked full of references to thousands of years of back story of the world it exists in so that will help.
Are you referring to a particular LOTR film or the trilogy as one 9-hour film? I felt ROTK was the most epic of the films for the sense of a bygone age I got when Frodo returned to the Shire. I also feel TDKR is comprable to ROTK, if not a bit better as far as driving home the importance of stopping the Big Bad goes (something I felt Tolkien was weak on in general, but I digress). The scope of the threat in LOTR and ROTK was, however, much greater than TDKR.

So I feel both are epic in their own right, though my preference leans toward TDKR (admittedly, I am not a big LOTR fan in general. Nor am I a big Batman fan beyond the Nolan films and BR).

Victarion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:59 PM   #99
Hellion
He's Not Serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzle View Post
While I do love both trilogies (I even enjoy a great deal of Spider-Man 3), Batman is the clear winner here. It's almost unfair to compare them.
Gonna borrow this, expresses my sentiment.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:43 AM   #100
kedrell
Aacha,cha,cha&InkaDinkaDo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wooden Alligator View Post
Are you referring to a particular LOTR film or the trilogy as one 9-hour film? I felt ROTK was the most epic of the films for the sense of a bygone age I got when Frodo returned to the Shire. I also feel TDKR is comprable to ROTK, if not a bit better as far as driving home the importance of stopping the Big Bad goes (something I felt Tolkien was weak on in general, but I digress). The scope of the threat in LOTR and ROTK was, however, much greater than TDKR.

So I feel both are epic in their own right, though my preference leans toward TDKR (admittedly, I am not a big LOTR fan in general. Nor am I a big Batman fan beyond the Nolan films and BR).
I was meaning the whole trilogy. It all takes place over just 1 year.

And I don't think Nolan's Batfilms(even the lone good one, BB) even begin to hold a candle to Jackson's LOTR series. But then I'm a big Tolkien fan and Batman has never appealed to me at all.