The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Old 04-24-2013, 11:28 PM   #26
StevenSeagal
Side-Kick

Default Re: Ben Kingsley is The Mandarin! - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by obin_gam View Post
Do I dare say Kinglesy Mandarin is the best Marvel villain yet?

Yes. Yes I do.

I think the potential of him being that was there..
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
but technically he wasn't really a villain was he?? I am still not sure wheter he actually shot the guy or not in that video to the president.

StevenSeagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:29 PM   #27
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:
Do I dare say Kinglesy Mandarin is the best Marvel villain yet?

Yes. Yes I do.

Are you joking?

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:34 PM   #28
obin_gam
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenSeagal View Post
I think the potential of him being that was there..
but technically he wasn't really a villain was he?? I am still not sure wheter he actually shot the guy or not in that video to the president.
But wasnt he really? If we think about The Mandarin as an idea insted of a physichal being?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
Are you joking?
Well technically the Mandarin (even if it was "an idea" and not a person) was a bigger threat to Stark personally than both Stane or Vanko so in that regard I would stand by my quote.

- Gene Wilder
obin_gam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:37 PM   #29
StevenSeagal
Side-Kick

Quote:
But wasnt he really? If we think about The Mandarin as an idea insted of a physichal being?

Well technically the Mandarin (even if it was "an idea" and not a person) was a bigger threat to Stark personally than both Stane or Vanko so in that regard I would stand by my quote.

I didn't even think about it like that, good point. That also makes the twist easier to accept really.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:45 PM   #30
StevenSeagal
Side-Kick

Does anyone who's seen it think there might be some discussion about
Trevor being a decoy for the Real Mandarin? now i doubt it very much, but he did say some stuff about plastic surgery, i gotta see it again to remember what exacly he said in the reveal scene though.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:47 PM   #31
jmc
callin' it like I see it

Quote:

But it's fake. It would be like having the Joker turn out to not be the ones doing all the harm in TDK.I can't agree with that assessment at all.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
jmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:55 AM   #32
antovolk
Side-Kick

For those who remember that Russian show that Hiddles, Thor and Renner were on, exactly a year later, Kingsley turns up, my subbed version -

Part 1
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Part 2
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

antovolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:35 PM   #33
Spuzz
The Spuzziest of Spuzzes

The following are my thoughts on the interesting (if not controversial) villain concoction they created for this film (filled with spoilers).

Ok, so like most I had a hard time at first with the Killian/Mandarin twist. But this isn't the first time they've taken two pre-existing characters and combined them, making an amalgamation of the two that still represents both very well. They did this with Whiplash who was also essentially Crimson Dynamo. If you think about the fact that all the foreboding stuff Fake Mandarin said was still probably penned by Killian then that doesn't make it all as big a joke as it seemed initially. Fake Mandarin was just a mouthpiece. And a funny/entertaining one./ But at the end of the day Killian was Mandarin. And I'm cool with that.

Spuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:12 AM   #34
Silvermoth
Avenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrollySupersj View Post
I was wondering, which "you will never see me coming" line do you like better? The one from the super bowel spot, or the second theatrical trailer?

I prefer the super bowel version. Quick and easy, yet very powerful. The trailer version sounds too over done. Sounds like it was said by Bane, from the TDKR.
Um I think you mean *bowl. Bit different to what you wrote.

Anyway,
if Tony had entered any later in that scene where he discovers the Mandarin I think he would have seen him coming.

Can't wait for X-men: apocalypse!!
Silvermoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:14 AM   #35
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Was anyone else expecting the whole Trevor decoy to be a decoy? I mean, I was expecting him to suddenly change back into the Mandarin character.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:33 AM   #36
TheIrishAvenger
You are not special.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
Was anyone else expecting the whole Trevor decoy to be a decoy? I mean, I was expecting him to suddenly change back into the Mandarin character.
I knew about him being an actor but I was shocked when I saw that he was a complete eejit and doofus.

"We've always defined ourselves by the ability to overcome the impossible, and we count these moments. Those moments when we dared to aim higher -- to break barriers, to reach for the stars. To make the unknown known. We count these moments as our proudest achievements. But we lost all that, and perhaps we've just forgotten. That we're still pioneers, that we've barely begun and that our greatest accomplishments cannot be behind us -- because our destiny lies above us."

INTERSTELLAR

TheIrishAvenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:51 AM   #37
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

I loved all the many aspects of The Mandarin in this movie. And Kingsley is immense in it.

747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:04 PM   #38
Oscorp
Side-Kick

I love the twist! I honestly think Kingsley's "Mandarin" was way too cliché. Killian was a superb villain!

"it's ****ing terrible. it's twilight ********."
-Levitikuz' friend, as told to Levitikuz' friend's date, about TASM.
Oscorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:36 PM   #39
TheFuture
Rising

I liked the twist, but then again I'm not someone who reads the IM comics. I can understand if people are pissed off.

My only beef was his ole ole ole chant. That's not a Liverpudlian chant.

TheFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:56 PM   #40
The Englishman
Marching On Together

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFuture View Post
I liked the twist, but then again I'm not someone who reads the IM comics. I can understand if people are pissed off.

My only beef was his ole ole ole chant. That's not a Liverpudlian chant.
i agree, that was pretty ****...

"For England James?" "No......For me"

"The things i do for England."
The Englishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:36 PM   #41
TheLongestDay
"FOR ASGARD!!!"

Not digging the twist AT ALL but I did enjoy the film...just felt like a waste of a potentially great character

Old 04-29-2013, 04:23 AM   #42
arman200
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongestDay View Post
Not digging the twist AT ALL but I did enjoy the film...just felt like a waste of a potentially great character
I have yet to see it, but I am a little disappointed. I guess I'll have to see how it plays out, but
I just feel like this could have been a much different villain, especially if it was the real mandarin.

But I guess I'll see Thursday.

http://tkath.libsyn.com/webpage
arman200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:54 AM   #43
Soup
Side-Kick

*Ben Kingsley isn't The Mandarin.

They didn't even need to have "The Mandarin" if they weren't even going to use the character.

More like Iron Man 3: The Rise of the Lava People Rising Revolution Revelations

Last edited by C. Lee; 04-30-2013 at 09:06 AM.
Soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:42 PM   #44
TheLongestDay
"FOR ASGARD!!!"

**** it,just give us this in Iron Man 4

Last edited by TheLongestDay; 04-30-2013 at 04:47 PM.
TheLongestDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:02 PM   #45
The Infernal
Life's End Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongestDay View Post
**** it,just give us this in Iron Man 4
Highly unlikely. You'd have to completely ignore IM3 for that to happen. Like it or loathe it IM3 went the way it chose to. If there's to be any kind of follow up with the character then it should stay faithful to what has been established.

Personally I love how the film handled it, but sadly I don't think you can follow up with that character outside of perhaps referencing the events of IM3 like IM3 referenced the Avengers.

My worst fear: When I die all I see is a sign saying 'level 2'. Which means I have to live all of this all over again. Only on a higher difficulty setting.
The Infernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:30 PM   #46
Llama_Shepherd
World's Finest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkingbird View Post
I could see it coming whilst watching the film, but when he was asked "did you tell him anything?" I was expecting him to snap back. I'm rather let down tbqh.

Llama_Shepherd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:22 PM   #47
Surfer
Sentinel of the Spaceways

I haven't seen Iron Man 3 yet, so I am really trying to keep an open mind and reserve judgement of the film until I get to see it on May 4th. However.....

based on spoilers I have read, I can understand why some fans would be truly upset. Now I am in no way suggesting this is not a great movie (maybe it's even their best), but that doesn't diminish how a fan feels when a character they care about is represented differently then how they percieve that character. I know it is how I felt when I saw Galactus being represented as a galactic storm cloud, (as he is one of my favorite characters from the comics). I was so pissed, and at that time I vowed I would never see another Fox Comic Book Movie. Especially, with Marvel making their own movies it seemed like we could trust that they would treat their own characters with the most respect. However, in Iron Man 2 they had the amalgrim Whiplash and Crimson Dynamo, which I saw as a serious mis-step for Marvel, but I figured while it was financially successful it was their most criticized movie to date, so I kind of felt that they learned their lesson about combining villians or changing them so dramatically. So, fast forward to Iron Man 3, and yeah it seems a little disappointing that they learned nothing and that it is just like Iron Man 2 all over again (at least as far as handling of the villian). Now I am not necearilly a huge fan of the Mandarin from the comics, but I do believe in respecting the source material. This does not mean I am looking for an exact or litteral translation of the character, such as the fu man chu and things that could be looked upon as racist, but with a major superheroes arch nemsis you would at least think that they would find it important to honor the characters basic look (which they did pretty well considering), motives, powers, and possibly be looking at how they can possibly incorporate him later into a sequel of sorts. I mean sure Mandarin is not on the scale of Loki in terms of popular villians within the Marvel Universe, but in essensce Mandarin is to Iron Man what Loki is to Thor, or even Red Skull is to Captain America, and yet from what I have read he did not get the same treatment or respect, and they even went as far as to make him appear like a joke. Also, I feel like Marvel should not only be looking to sell tickets for these movies, but towards the long haul by trying to get people interested in these character so they check out the comics. However, when you have a situation like this the person that sees the film goes to check out the comic and they see a very different character then what they seen on the film, and this could lead to them becoming disinterested. I think it is really a missed opportunity for them to get people into comics when they change the characters this dramatically from the source, so I don't get why they would do it. I realize the movies are big business, but the continued success of comics should also be extremely important to them, as there can really be a synergy created between the two medias. Anyways, I know it sounds like I am whining, but truth is I am a little angry because I feel like a hypocrite now, that I was so mad at FOX and now I feel like Marvel is doing the same thing. I wasn't going to go see the new Fantastic Four Reboot when it came out and was hoping it would revert back to Marvel, but with recent developments I think I could possibly eat crow by hoping it stays with FOX and by going to see it in the theater. However, as I said originally despite my rant, I will wait until after I have seen the movie to make a final decision about how I feel and then go from there.

Please know that the above comments are only my thoughts and if I have offended anyone that has seen the movie I apologize, I am just trying to get some stuff of my chest.

Surfer

Wolvieboy17..... "It's slow and relelentless, like being beaten to death with a sponge."
Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:43 PM   #48
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

The only thing I'll say Surfer, is that in my personal opinion the Mandarin was given a proper showing it was just spread over 2 people (Killain had the attitude, skills, and tattoos, and Kinglsey had the look and intimidation.)

If you've got a minute, check out our up and coming clothing company. Summer wear now in stock!
( http://www.family1stclothingco.com/ )
mkilban2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:42 AM   #49
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama_Shepherd View Post
I could see it coming whilst watching the film, but when he was asked "did you tell him anything?" I was expecting him to snap back. I'm rather let down tbqh.
At first I was, but then I accepted how clever it was.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:51 AM   #50
Surfer
Sentinel of the Spaceways

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkilban2 View Post
The only thing I'll say Surfer, is that in my personal opinion the Mandarin was given a proper showing it was just spread over 2 people (Killain had the attitude, skills, and tattoos, and Kinglsey had the look and intimidation.)
mkilban2, thanks for your comment and perhaps I am too quick to judge not having seen the actual film and I can admit that, but.....

I feel changing these characters in general is ultimately a bad move.

I mean I know many people think it is not a big deal to change some characters for the big screen, (and perhaps some minor changes do need to be done to make it work), but I feel it is easy for someone to say this when they don't have a personal connection to that specific character in the comics. However, they must consider somebody out there does have a love for the character, while to others he or she could even be their absolute favorite character, and to those people they are messing him or her up. So, to comic fans that think it is not a big deal, I would ask how they would feel if their favorite character was dramatically changed from the comic for their big screen debut? For me that was Galactus and I was not happy at all, and I think most fans would feel the same if there favorite character was not treated well on the big screen. I am just saying it is easy to say who cares about the changes, but when it effects a character your emotionally connected to then it matters. In the end though complaining or being upset won't change anything, (whats done is done), so I will wait for the film and I hope to be swayed by it's awesomeness.

Thanks again for your reply.

Surfer

Wolvieboy17..... "It's slow and relelentless, like being beaten to death with a sponge."
Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote