The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > General Movies > The Cutting Room Floor

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2013, 09:15 AM   #701
Visualiza
What is a yout?

Default Re: State your unpopular film related opinion - - - Part 12

I wasn't terribly fond of Lincoln. It wasn't a bad movie by any means, but it didn't really do much for me.

I think we tend to have a soft spot for true stories and biopics, even when the content of the film borders on mediocrity. "We Are Marshall" is probably a better example. The story itself tugs at the heart strings, but the film was so derivative and bland that I just couldn't get into it.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:27 AM   #702
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

I'm not a big fan of either the Matrix films or the Pirates films. Not even the, mostly praised, first ones.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #703
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
I'm not sure if this is a generally held unpopular opinion or not, but I HATED the movie Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil. I found it to be one of the most boring, uninteresting movies I've ever seen.

I bring this up because my girlfriend and her friends are OBSESSED with it. Now, they've all read the book, so perhaps I might have some new-found love for it if I read it. But you know how it is... when you see a movie that you don't like at all, you don't typically want to go and read the book it was based on.
Is that the one where Kevin spacey talks like a southern dandy?

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:45 PM   #704
the last son
Side-Kick

The Avengers Sucked. I came a half a second close to leaving halfway through. It was that predictable.

Old 04-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #705
ChickenScratch
Banned User

Michael Bay gets lambasted left and right by everyone as if it's the thing to do when his films are way more unoffensive than people make them out to be, and he's a better director than most of the other directors out there making big names for themselves.

I can think of any number of comedy films much more racist, violent, juvenile than anything Bay has ever done. As the average movie goer why they think he sucks (because it's an opinion many seem to take without a thought towards if it's true) what's so wrong with his movies and they cannot give definitive answers aside from oft repeated and as eloquent as "he sucks."

Transformers is not some sacred cow that he has violated. I was born in 1980, grew up a TF fan, saw the original movie in the theaters as a kid and I think what he's done is the best thing in the whole series. People look too romantically on cartoons designed to sell toys. Oddly enough, picking such a commercial director is exactly the type of move they would have done back then if they were gonna start with a movie rather than cartoon.

He's good with the camera, good with giant set pieces, great with action, and his movies look slick.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:31 PM   #706
Victarion
Cut

I prefer At World's End to the first 2 POTC films. I pretend OST never happened.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #707
moviedoors
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenScratch View Post
I can think of any number of comedy films much more racist, violent, juvenile than anything Bay has ever done. As the average movie goer why they think he sucks (because it's an opinion many seem to take without a thought towards if it's true) what's so wrong with his movies and they cannot give definitive answers aside from oft repeated and as eloquent as "he sucks."
You know that's not true. People have gone on at length giving valid reasons for why they don't like him directly too you on more than one occasion. I've done it myself if I'm not mistaken. Loving Michael Bay is fine. Stating ******** about his detractors is not.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #708
Blitzkrieg Bop
Boy named Sue

Just like in 2009, I don't care about the new Star Trek movie.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #709
gwynplaine
L'homme qui rit.

Even though I enjoyed the previous one and most of JJ Abrahams' other films as well, for some reason I also don't care very much about the new Star Trek movie.

Laugh now, laugh later.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:53 PM   #710
ChickenScratch
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviedoors View Post
You know that's not true. People have gone on at length giving valid reasons for why they don't like him directly too you on more than one occasion. I've done it myself if I'm not mistaken. Loving Michael Bay is fine. Stating ******** about his detractors is not.
Give valid reasons then. You said you have, I don't know who you are.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:11 PM   #711
moviedoors
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickenScratch View Post
Give valid reasons then. You said you have, I don't know who you are.
No. You can go to Rotten Tomatoes and pick through one out of hundreds articles that go a hell of a lot further than "he sucks". You've already made it abundantly that you don't care about the reasons people have repeatedly given you, erroneously saying that all they've ever said is "he sucks," which is grossly inaccurate. I'm not interested in having a conversation about Michael Bay with you. Yours is not an unpopular film opinion, it's disparaging remarks about a group of people who happen to not agree with you. You don't want to have a conversation about movies, you want to sneer at people who don't like something you do.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:17 PM   #712
ChickenScratch
Banned User

What reasons people have repeatedly given me? You inventing conversations here? I've never even been to Texas.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:27 PM   #713
DarkSovereignty
Wubba Lubba Dub Dub

Here's some personal reasons,I find his sense of humor to insulting to my intelligence. I also find the characters that creates in his film to range from cliche to annoying to outright offensive. His cinematography tends to comes like the camera man is on a coke binge, ect. How's that?

To alot of people, especially kids my age who grew up in Bush's America, TDK is kind of like our Woodstock. I'm not an idiot.
Old 04-28-2013, 11:17 PM   #714
ChickenScratch
Banned User

All that comes down to personal taste. One man's tasteless humor is another man's Soul Plane.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:30 PM   #715
Snow Queen
Side-Kick

Not sure whether this is unpopular or not since I've seen a mixed response to it but I despise Pain & Gain. Absolutely hate it.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:55 AM   #716
Lazarus87

GI Joe rise of the cobra was a much better film than the sequel. I think that it is even underrated to a certain extent.

Michael Bay directed Transformers 1 & 2, Bad boys 1&2. That in my book makes him an amazing director I love them four movies

I don't think critics rate comedy films with predominately black casts. Little man and Lottery ticket
were highly entertaining, extremely fun with good underlying messages but were still panned by critics. Then you got a 'stupid' film like Borat receiving critical acclaim. At the end of the day this is why you can't take critics seriously, they are just regular people with an opinion. I find it strange how a movie like Dark Knight didn't even get nominated for best picture at the oscars, yet the Oscars are considered a big deal. The Oscars have no credibility to me, so many great and enjoyable movies are overlooked

Last edited by Lazarus87; 04-29-2013 at 06:10 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #717
Blitzkrieg Bop
Boy named Sue

I'm interested in what 48 fps looks like, but I can't bring myself to watch The Hobbit.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:27 AM   #718
Victarion
Cut

Super Mario Bros. is an excellent pulp sci-fi adventure film.

The films in the live action Resident Evil franchise work fine as zombie epics when you ignore that they're derived from the games.

My dislike of Avatar isn't from the recycled plot. I find it hard to root for heroes fighting against strawmen.

I think Pokemon: the First Movie is still entertaining.

Last edited by Victarion; 04-30-2013 at 12:46 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:24 AM   #719
Bobber
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus87 View Post
GI Joe rise of the cobra was a much better film than the sequel. I think that it is even underrated to a certain extent.

Michael Bay directed Transformers 1 & 2, Bad boys 1&2. That in my book makes him an amazing director I love them four movies

I don't think critics rate comedy films with predominately black casts. Little man and Lottery ticket
were highly entertaining, extremely fun with good underlying messages but were still panned by critics. Then you got a 'stupid' film like Borat receiving critical acclaim. At the end of the day this is why you can't take critics seriously, they are just regular people with an opinion. I find it strange how a movie like Dark Knight didn't even get nominated for best picture at the oscars, yet the Oscars are considered a big deal. The Oscars have no credibility to me, so many great and enjoyable movies are overlooked
Borat's actually a rather brilliant social satire that shines a light on a lot of America (and the white western world in general)'s superiority complexes.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:43 AM   #720
Donnie Darko
Forgotten Pre-New 52 Hero

Borat's best bit is still "Throw The Jew Down the Well"

Old 04-30-2013, 10:27 AM   #721
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSovereignty View Post
Is that the one where Kevin spacey talks like a southern dandy?
Yep, that's the one. And the thing is, I usually love Spacey (I just pretend Superman Returns never happened) so I really wanted to like the movie. But it was all just so... dull.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:45 AM   #722
Matt Mortem
A Most Wanted Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham's Knight View Post
Not sure whether this is unpopular or not since I've seen a mixed response to it but I despise Pain & Gain. Absolutely hate it.
It was a steaming pile of garbage. I didn't enjoy a single aspect of it. You're not alone.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:23 PM   #723
Rowsdower!
Jaguaring Lives

Wow. I haven't seen Pain & Gain yet, but I'm curious as to what made you guys hate it. Was it just a bad movie, or was it offensive in some way, given that it's based on a true story?

Old 04-30-2013, 01:42 PM   #724
Matt Mortem
A Most Wanted Ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower! View Post
Wow. I haven't seen Pain & Gain yet, but I'm curious as to what made you guys hate it. Was it just a bad movie, or was it offensive in some way, given that it's based on a true story?
The "based on a true story" part coupled with the overall tone of the film was a problem for me. The humor was pretty juvenile too. It just didn't do anything for me. It was dull, moronic and meant to appeal to the 12-16 year old demographic.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:39 PM   #725
terry78
Heads up, heathen monkeys

Uhhh, that demographic is a mite off. There's a difference between satire and just blatant juvenile humor.

Closed Thread