The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Thor > Thor: The Dark World

Old 04-26-2013, 08:50 AM   #426
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Default Re: Thor: The Dark World Trailer Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bren View Post
Wow, I'm glad I didn't really specify why I was underwhelmed by the tt, I couldn't handle the cross examination hahaha

But seriously I'm just trying to understand a particular opinion. This is a discussion board so it's the place to discuss opinions. That someone doesn't like something, or it's not what someone expected, isn't that interesting but a specific complaint that you don't understand can be an interesting opinion to learn about.

Mjölnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:58 AM   #427
Bren
Forevernoob

Don't come in here all reasonable man, you'll confuse us!

Bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 09:22 AM   #428
SaF
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post

But seriously I'm just trying to understand a particular opinion. This is a discussion board so it's the place to discuss opinions. That someone doesn't like something, or it's not what someone expected, isn't that interesting but a specific complaint that you don't understand can be an interesting opinion to learn about.
Well I also was 'underwhelmed' by the trailer sadly... I'm a MCU nut and am really looking forward to seeing all the phase 2 releases (even those I have doubts about, like GotG) so eagerly awaited the trailer, and yeah, it really did nothing for me (EXCEPT one part which I'll get to).

I'm going to compare it to how hyped the first IM3 trailer made me, as I think its a fair comparison, both IM3 and Thor DW are MCU films I'm dying to see (saw IM3 last night, was awesome btw) and both have characters who's stand alone films I enjoyed and have re-watched multiple times.

The first IM3 trailer gave me chills, you were seeing things the IM series has established (Tony's house, Pepper, his suits) destroyed, that after the Avengers Tony is having problems, all these concepts were interesting to me.

But with the Thor trailer it seemed to me like, oh Thor's going to battle some race on one (or multiple) of the nine relms. And its a race that previously was powerful and caused havok but was beaten back and has been in exile/under Odins boot since and now they are pissed and are fighting back to retake what they had.

So like in the first one where they went to Johtenhime and delt with the Frost giants unprising (can't spell!)?

For me it really seemed like basically nothing's changed for Thor except Loki's in jail? Jane's on a road trip to Asgard? It really didn't convey to me how nasty and twisted the dark elves are, and how important stopping them is. I read some of Thor's books, those guys should be horrible adversaries, hell I loved the glimpse we got of Malakith's (again can't spell) design but yeah they didn't seem like any special threat to Thor or the nine relms in general in this trailer, just seemed like 'business as usual, go off, have a big battle, hit people with the hammer'

I have no doubt that I won't feel this way about the final film, I still am really excited to see it, but this is a trailer discussion and yeah, they trailer didn't have me really excited. Had some cool visuals and I'll keep looking out for new trailers, but didn't get me hyped.

Having said all this, the part that did get my hyped is the last little bit with Loki, that was charged. For me Thor has never been so openly hostile to Loki onscreen before, he's always been 'brother, its not too late...' even at the final fight of the avengers after he stabbed Coulson. Now it sounds like the gloves are off and Thor's giving Loki no more chances, no trust and he knows he's going to have to beat him into the ground sooner or later... very exciting to see Thor accepting that and Loki basically saying 'game on' in return.

SaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #429
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

I don't get it. lol. It was the first trailer, and it did exactly what it was suppose to do. Show action, show the villain..show the relation ship.

It did what it was suppose to do. Tease. It's not suppose to be a "good trailer". It's a teaser.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #430
ciscostudent561
Side-Kick

watched it twice today before work, trying to sneak one in again.

ciscostudent561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:42 AM   #431
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaF View Post
Well I also was 'underwhelmed' by the trailer sadly... I'm a MCU nut and am really looking forward to seeing all the phase 2 releases (even those I have doubts about, like GotG) so eagerly awaited the trailer, and yeah, it really did nothing for me (EXCEPT one part which I'll get to).

I'm going to compare it to how hyped the first IM3 trailer made me, as I think its a fair comparison, both IM3 and Thor DW are MCU films I'm dying to see (saw IM3 last night, was awesome btw) and both have characters who's stand alone films I enjoyed and have re-watched multiple times.

The first IM3 trailer gave me chills, you were seeing things the IM series has established (Tony's house, Pepper, his suits) destroyed, that after the Avengers Tony is having problems, all these concepts were interesting to me.

But with the Thor trailer it seemed to me like, oh Thor's going to battle some race on one (or multiple) of the nine relms. And its a race that previously was powerful and caused havok but was beaten back and has been in exile/under Odins boot since and now they are pissed and are fighting back to retake what they had.

So like in the first one where they went to Johtenhime and delt with the Frost giants unprising (can't spell!)?

For me it really seemed like basically nothing's changed for Thor except Loki's in jail? Jane's on a road trip to Asgard? It really didn't convey to me how nasty and twisted the dark elves are, and how important stopping them is. I read some of Thor's books, those guys should be horrible adversaries, hell I loved the glimpse we got of Malakith's (again can't spell) design but yeah they didn't seem like any special threat to Thor or the nine relms in general in this trailer, just seemed like 'business as usual, go off, have a big battle, hit people with the hammer'

I have no doubt that I won't feel this way about the final film, I still am really excited to see it, but this is a trailer discussion and yeah, they trailer didn't have me really excited. Had some cool visuals and I'll keep looking out for new trailers, but didn't get me hyped.

Having said all this, the part that did get my hyped is the last little bit with Loki, that was charged. For me Thor has never been so openly hostile to Loki onscreen before, he's always been 'brother, its not too late...' even at the final fight of the avengers after he stabbed Coulson. Now it sounds like the gloves are off and Thor's giving Loki no more chances, no trust and he knows he's going to have to beat him into the ground sooner or later... very exciting to see Thor accepting that and Loki basically saying 'game on' in return.
Well, the part I have been asking questions about is the opinion that the movie looks like a TV-show. As I've pointed out I have no problems with people not liking it or otherwise having differing opinions from mine.

I don't have much to say about your opinions. I see your points and a big reason my view differs is that I expected the trailer to show less than it did as it's only the teaser. I expect that we get more of what you ask for when the real trailers come, although I'd be happy if they never really show much of Kurse.

But when it comes to the threat I think Odin's voice over sets them apart from the frost giants quite immediately. Even more when they apparently can even attack Asgard (and Earth), and they create a war while Thor could seemingly smack the frost giants on his own. We don't know why the elves are powerful though. As for being somewhat similar, that's something you'd probably have to get accustomed to in the Thor story since the villains will likely be from the nine realms and the biggest baddie is the lord of the fire giants, Surtur.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:15 AM   #432
Bren
Forevernoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
I don't get it. lol. It was the first trailer, and it did exactly what it was suppose to do. Show action, show the villain..show the relation ship.

It did what it was suppose to do. Tease. It's not suppose to be a "good trailer". It's a teaser.
clearly hehehe Some people found it an underwhelming teaser trailer, simple as...

MOS teaser trailer (don't you all shoot me now) found something to interest me by being completely unexpected and different. Some found it boring, their opinion, can't argue with that.

This Thor teaser trailer didn't do that for me. In a season where news, trailers posters are coming thick and fast foe so many interesting movies, I personally need something to offer something unique to grab my attention.

Like I said elsewhere, a bit unfair on the Thor tt because it's not a fresh start like MOS is.

At least we agree regarding a dislike of Jane hehehe

Old 04-26-2013, 12:26 PM   #433
Vartha
We are Hunter Rider
SHH! Global Moderator

Hehe we need one that says nobody expects the Swedish Inquistion and the Warriors Three with Sif waving hahaha

Quote:

....to every King.

Coulson, "If the details of this gets out, the operation would be complimized"

Vartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 02:21 PM   #434
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vartha View Post
Hehe we need one that says nobody expects the Swedish Inquistion and the Warriors Three with Sif waving hahaha
Haha, that would be something.

Old 04-26-2013, 04:15 PM   #435
Megalith
Banned User

Will Loki reveal himself to be the Mandarin in this film?

Megalith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 06:07 PM   #436
Ash Talon
Side-Kick

I don't get the "TV look" complaint for TDW. It has a much more "filmic" look than The Avengers did. The scene with Thor and Jane in the damp/rainy London air looks more artistic than any part of Avengers.

Ash Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:56 AM   #437
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:

Please stop.

Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 02:57 AM   #438
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Talon View Post
I don't get the "TV look" complaint for TDW. It has a much more "filmic" look than The Avengers did. The scene with Thor and Jane in the damp/rainy London air looks more artistic than any part of Avengers.
The people who say that are meth heads and should be reported to local authorities immediately.

Rock Sexton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:10 AM   #439
MCU
Side-Kick

Imho, I thought it was a fantastic teaser trailer. It showed some great action and the visuals look great. Also the love story looks to be amped up more with just that one line from Portman outweighing almost any line she said in the first film. Plus, I like that Sif glance showing Jane is gonna have some competition. Next I think the villain(cant spell his name so I wont attempt and look foolish) looks great just from that small clip of him tho so I will need to see more of him. Also, looks like Jane might die. I hope she does not cause I hate her character cause I dont just cause it could add some much needed uhmm dont know the word to use here...emotional strength, depth etc. And I thought Thor's "noo" looked perfect. He looked like straight defeated and at his mercy. And the ending with Loki; absolutley fantasic. I kinda was hoping Loki wasnt gonna b in this movie at first cause I was worried he might be getting to much screen time but hell just with this scene Hiddleson continues to impress...he looks like a maniac haha. Cant wait to see it.

I will admit the one odd part of the trailer is the begining scene with the truck floating; that was just random af and I had no idea what that was about.

MCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:56 PM   #440
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

^ this. I thought the trailer was awesome. Malekith looks scary. But he doesn't sound so menacing, his voice. i think that adds a bit of a dynamic to the character, a different type of menacing. That one second of malekith's face was my favorite part of the trailer

Old 04-28-2013, 02:48 PM   #441
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

I agree regarding Malekith's voice. There's a nice dynamic to having a cold and frightening look but sound pretty normal. The normal and calm voice in itself says something about how much of a threat he is since he doesn't need to overdo it by shouting or anything like that. He's in full control and you're not going to like what's coming.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:09 PM   #442
Incredible Hans
Side-Kick

Quote:

Incredible Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #443
darkslayer101
Side-Kick

Quote:
I agree regarding Malekith's voice. There's a nice dynamic to having a cold and frightening look but sound pretty normal. The normal and calm voice in itself says something about how much of a threat he is since he doesn't need to overdo it by shouting or anything like that. He's in full control and you're not going to like what's coming.
i agree, Malekith is looking very promising and menacing.
hopefully he will give Thor a run for his money, and from the set pics, i am sure this is gonna be awesome.

darkslayer101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 04:37 PM   #444
Donar
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Talon View Post
Yeah, that complaint didn't really make sense, imo.

Donar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:00 PM   #445
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkslayer101 View Post
i agree, Malekith is looking very promising and menacing.
hopefully he will give Thor a run for his money, and from the set pics, i am sure this is gonna be awesome.
I hope the same and I'm quite sure he will. On top of being menacing in the trailer his ace in the hole isn't even shown at all.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:03 PM   #446
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
I hope the same and I'm quite sure he will. On top of being menacing in the trailer his ace in the hole isn't even shown at all.
You mean Kurse?

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #447
jaqua99
....I need a horse!

Quote:
Couldn't have said it better.

I like it. He doesn't sound evil, he doesn't sound psychotic. He just looks scary, powerful, and sounds completely collected in what he is trying to do.

It's less about an image, and more about accomplishing a goal.

Old 04-28-2013, 10:29 PM   #448
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaqua99 View Post
Couldn't have said it better.

I like it. He doesn't sound evil, he doesn't sound psychotic. He just looks scary, powerful, and sounds completely collected in what he is trying to do.

It's less about an image, and more about accomplishing a goal.
Agreed

Calm and collected villains are usually the most dangerous, they don't need to put on a front or bluff.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
BigThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:52 PM   #449
Doc Ock
1951-2014

I liked the calm voice, but its so Christopher Eccleston sounding hehe. Does he ever change his voice?

Old 04-28-2013, 11:58 PM   #450
jonathancrane
I love Marvel, DC & EC!

I know he will deliver a spectacular performance, but, whenever I re-read Malekith's appearance in the comics, I always hear the voice of the guy who voiced him in EMH rendering the dialogue.

"I've known since I first took over the series that I wanted to eventually have someone else pick up the hammer," says the writer. "It's kind of a time-honored Thor tradition at this point, isn't it? Going back to the days of Beta Ray Bill."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Johns
“At DC, we really see film and TV as separate worlds."
jonathancrane is offline   Reply With Quote