The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Misc. Comics

Old 03-31-2013, 03:09 PM   #1
The Bruce
The First and Best

Default I love Garfield!

I know he's not a comic book in the traditional sense. But I've loved him since I was a kid (back in the 80's he was king). Now I've started with a collection of his strip books. But are the books in constant print? I can't find Garfield weighs in (his fourth book). My OCD needs a complete collection

Old 03-31-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
Morg
Hayden addict
SHH! Global Moderator

Default Re: I love Garfield!

ever try ebay? or flea markets? I usually see those books at markets in the 50c to 1.00 box

Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:48 PM   #3
ericadawn16
Side-Kick

Shopping.com says that Amazon has it. I know 54 dollars isn't the nicest thing to pay for a book but for a complete collection and being out of print...sometimes, we have to pay exorbitant prices.

ericadawn16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:36 AM   #4
The Bruce
The First and Best

Thank you

My OCD is getting worse *lol* it's gotten to the point where it almost sucks the joy outta my hobbies. Had to quit reading some characters because I needed to have everything related to them ( video games, statues etc.) and I live in "outback" Europe so everything had to be imported at preminum prices!

Maybe I should get some professional OCD help

Last edited by The Bruce; 04-01-2013 at 12:45 PM.
The Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:41 AM   #5
Nathan

Back in the day, I read one of his comics when I was on the bus. I was laughing so hard, I'm sure people thought I was crazy.

Old 04-01-2013, 11:44 AM   #6
kalzor
Side-Kick

One of the high points in my life was a cartooning class I took in college taught by the guy who drew the comic strip (not Jim Davis who just slapped his name on everything, but the actual guy who drew it).

He took us to Paws Inc. on a field trip and showed us around, which gave me a much better impression and appreciation for the character and the strip.

The live action movie came out a few months later....

Still loved the comic, but I've never seen a ball dropped so hard on a franchise (IMO).

kalzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
The Bruce
The First and Best

I'm looking for the classic books. At some point the strips started looking like copy & paste jobs using a randomiser program on a PC

Old 04-12-2013, 10:45 PM   #8
Obi-Ron
Deal with it

What about Garfield minus Garfield?

Old 04-28-2013, 06:53 PM   #9
Baramos
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bruce View Post
I know he's not a comic book in the traditional sense. But I've loved him since I was a kid (back in the 80's he was king). Now I've started with a collection of his strip books. But are the books in constant print? I can't find Garfield weighs in (his fourth book). My OCD needs a complete collection
Dude, don't pay that ridiculous 54 dollar price.

Here, you can get it in "very good" used condition for 3.49 at Betterworldbooks (free shipping, like all Betterworldbooks books):

http://www.betterworldbooks.com/9780...345320100.aspx

I always look on Betterworldbooks.com before buying used books anywhere else on the internet because as a charitable organization they avoid ripping people off to maintain their reputation. They sell donated books so anything they make is profit towards the charity. Only rarely do I buy used books through Amazon--I bought one there once this past year, and it was in pretty crappy condition. I wish I had paid another buck or two on Betterworldbooks because I have the feeling it would have been in slightly better condition. But anyway, most of the time they are both the cheapest and with the best condition on the books.

EDIT: If you HAVE to go through Amazon there's these copies, too, but you have to pay more plus shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...condition=used

Still eleven dollars versus 54...it's not even a question.

RE: Garfield

You're right about the older strips actually being pretty funny sometimes. People (read: the internet) is pretty down on Garfield but there was actually a span of 10-15 years where it actually got me to chuckle quite a bit, which is rare for a newspaper comic strip. Obviously it's become a parody of itself and Davis isn't even the artist 90% of the time from what I understand, but at one point it actually was a big deal.

Also the holiday specials are still very enjoyable for me.

Last edited by Baramos; 04-28-2013 at 07:06 PM.
Baramos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:36 AM   #10
lozzy.94
Im no Side-Kick

I love Garfield as well!!!!!!!!

lozzy.94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:43 PM   #11
Sundancer
Cynicist

Are you going for the singles or would the 3 packs do?

I liked him in the 80's but stopped caring when his head and feet became bigger than his stomach, ruining the whole fat cat image. Still love the 80's cartoon specials. The Christmas special is one of my favorites.