The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

View Poll Results: How much will Iron Man 3 make world wide?
500 Million 2 1.14%
550 Million 4 2.29%
600 Million 4 2.29%
650 Million 6 3.43%
700 Million 9 5.14%
750 Million 10 5.71%
800 Million 16 9.14%
850 Million 30 17.14%
900 Million 33 18.86%
950 Million 9 5.14%
1 Billion 31 17.71%
1.1 Billion 11 6.29%
1.2 Billion 3 1.71%
1.3 Billion 1 0.57%
1.4 Billion 0 0%
1.5 Billion 6 3.43%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 08:32 PM   #801
Blade X
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Iron Man 3 Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post
If we are speaking technically, IM3 pretty much had more action in it than Avengers, which really only had 3 big sequences, if i would count the ones IM3 has it would be 5 major sequences and that's not counting all the action moments in between.
AVENGERS had 5 action sequences. Loki vs SHIELD,Cap/Iron Man vs Loki, the Cap/Thor/Iron Man battle,the battle on the Helicarier (which was divided into 4 separate fight sequences),and the long huge Avengers vs Loki and the Chitauri final battle scene.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:44 PM   #802
schiz0id
Side-Kick

Quote:
That being said...DOFP sounds like the greatest superhero film ever made.
Bryan Singer needs to redeem himself and erase the bitter taste of Superman Returns/Jack The Giant Slayer from recent memory.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:51 PM   #803
schiz0id
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
Considering he died right before the 2007 Oscars, no it's not an outrageous thought. And no since RDJ already had an Oscar, and Heath had died no one thought RDJ would win for Tropic Thunder.

No one is saying it wasn't a terrific performance, and no one is saying he didn't deserve it. His death pretty much guaranteed he'd win it.
RDJ has had 2 Oscar nominations (Chaplin and Tropic Thunder) and 0 wins so far. So no he doesn't have an Oscar yet.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:13 PM   #804
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Well, considering the oscars like to reward those who really like to take risks, RDJ pretty much took one of the most outlandish and hysterical risks in movie history. I can't think of no one right now that could have done his role in Tropic Thunder and gotten away with it, without a scratch!
It was the biggest risk I've seen an actor take in a long time, considering black face is banned in most forms of theater acting. Especially for a guy who had just salvaged his career.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:13 PM   #805
Juicy J
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well, considering the oscars like to reward those who really like to take risks, RDJ pretty much took one of the most outlandish and hysterical risks in movie history. I can't think of no one right now that could have done his role in Tropic Thunder and gotten away with it, without a scratch!
This is true. I always wondered why there wasn't more of an uproar about RDJ in blackface, when you had people getting their panties in a wad about Heimdall being portrayed by a black actor which is way less offensive. I guess it just goes to show that this country sometimes isn't as politically correct as I sometimes think.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:39 PM   #806
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicy J View Post
This is true. I always wondered why there wasn't more of an uproar about RDJ in blackface, when you had people getting their panties in a wad about Heimdall being portrayed by a black actor which is way less offensive. I guess it just goes to show that this country sometimes isn't as politically correct as I sometimes think.
It wasn't a matter of political correctness there; it was nerdrage at its finest. Plus, why does everything need to be politically correct?

Old 04-29-2013, 09:51 PM   #807
Juicy J
Side-Kick

I don't know if any of you read cracked.com, the humor website, but they had an interesting article today about how Superhero movies might be coming to an end. I certainly don't agree with it but it's an interesting read at the least.
http://www.cracked.com/article_20406...-burst_p2.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webfoot Hero View Post
It wasn't a matter of political correctness there; it was nerdrage at its finest. Plus, why does everything need to be politically correct?
Where did I say everything had to be politically correct? As a matter of fact I think PC in this country needs to be toned down immensely, but that's another discussion entirely. I was mentioning it as a good thing that people didn't get up in arms about RDJ in blackface - political correctness didn't take over, people generally had a good sense of humor about it and saw it's usefulness and place in that film, which I was pleasantly surprised with.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:06 PM   #808
Webfoot Hero
Side-Kick

Quote:
I don't know if any of you read cracked.com, the humor website, but they had an interesting article today about how Superhero movies might be coming to an end. I certainly don't agree with it but it's an interesting read at the least.

Where did I say everything had to be politically correct? As a matter of fact I think PC in this country needs to be toned down immensely, but that's another discussion entirely. I was mentioning it as a good thing that people didn't get up in arms about RDJ in blackface - political correctness didn't take over, people generally had a good sense of humor about it and saw it's usefulness and place in that film, which I was pleasantly surprised with.
Agree with you there. Tropic Thunder is a good example of people locking up their PC-ness and just going for something funny without being completely over-the-top. Movie was more pointing out the absurdness of Hollywood and what actors will do for their careers than it was trying to make any grand racial commentary. One of my favorite comedies in the last decade.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:21 PM   #809
Juicy J
Side-Kick

Quote:
Agree with you there. Tropic Thunder is a good example of people locking up their PC-ness and just going for something funny without being completely over-the-top. Movie was more pointing out the absurdness of Hollywood and what actors will do for their careers than it was trying to make any grand racial commentary. One of my favorite comedies in the last decade.
Completely agree. A lot of my friends didn't like it, but I had a great time with it. Come to think I haven't seen it in about a year or so, I really oughta watch it sometime soon...

Old 04-29-2013, 10:31 PM   #810
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:

That's a pretty stupid article. Superhero movies have been around for over 30 years, and superheros themselves around since print media was invented. It's ingrained in the our culture. Will there be fluctuations in popularity? Yeah, probably. But will they end or the "bubble" pop? Extremely unlikely.

Also, superhero movies have been doing very successfully for over a decade now. When do they stop being a bubble and start being recognized as a form of media that any story can be told in? Every story is going to have a hero in it, superhero movies just provide more fantastical elements which suit spectacle on the big screen. Superhero films can't be categorized into one specific genre like, say, the Western. Several of the most successful and iconic films in history have been superhero films. Films that have been as successful as Marvel and DC films in the past have been cultivated into multi-decade, multi-generational franchises like James Bond and Star Wars, and indeed Batman and Superman already have been. That guy must not know what cultivating a franchise is.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:51 PM   #811
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
It was the biggest risk I've seen an actor take in a long time, considering black face is banned in most forms of theater acting. Especially for a guy who had just salvaged his career.
Quote:

Robert Downey Jr.'s performance in Tropic Thunder was a tremendous risk and there were dire predictions at the time that it would cause a backlash against him from the general public. The thing about comedy is that it is often transgressive and challenging to cultural boundaries. Great comedies get away with breaking taboos because they do so in order to highlight the hypocrisy, hubris or failings of the characters or society in general. The audience is far savvier they're than given credit for by critics and commentators, and they got the joke and understood completely what Ben Stiller and Downey were doing and why.

Tropic Thunder was a great comedy of the same order as Blazing Saddles, in that both of them used racial stereotypes, politically incorrect dialogue and humor to satirize certain attitudes. The whole movie hilariously exposed the hypocrisy and hubris that infects Hollywood. Kirk Lazarus was a withering send-up of the egotistical Hollywood star who takes method acting to the extreme in a quest for perfection (and his sixth Oscar), just as Tugg Speedman was the perfect take-down of the action star who disastrously tries his hand at "serious" material. Downey's Black Like Me skin change and the actors' casually derogatory talk about the mentally disabled and gays were part and parcel of the satire, which is why there was so little outrage. In my opinion it is the best comedy of the current century.

Old 04-29-2013, 11:04 PM   #812
Mr. Dent
Banned User

****, that article even goes on to talk about how the studios start demanding more control and the bets stop paying off. Do they even realize that Marvel IS the one making their own movies and already have all the control? Not to mention that the situation Marvel is in with Disney is completely unprecedented in those historic anecdotes provided and the article completely ignores that. That article is half-assed. Just another shock article meant to grab views and be circulated. Which is a mission accomplished I guess.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:10 AM   #813
eddy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimod0 View Post
This thread is the last bastion of positivity on the iron man boards.
I stopped reading the news and spec thread about 2 weeks ago. I now go in there and read a few posts and close the page. No way I'm sitting through 10 pages of BS.

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:19 AM   #814
eddy
Side-Kick

Quote:
The Heimdell stuff wasn't all nerdrage. Alot of it was neo-nazi groups angry about their 'whitest god of them all' being portrayed by a black actor. But I don't want to get into that too much here.

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:24 AM   #815
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy View Post
I stopped reading the news and spec thread about 2 weeks ago. I now go in there and read a few posts and close the page. No way I'm sitting through 10 pages of BS.
Every page on the News & Spec thread is like this:

(Chewy)

(cherokeesam)

(random sane passerby)

Old 04-30-2013, 07:26 AM   #816
eddy
Side-Kick

Quote:
Its silly. People have been saying the general audience would get bored of SH movies since 2005*(and probably earlier) and look where we're at now. We have more SH films than ever before.

*that was a bad year for marvel movies, blech. Thanks alot Fox!

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:35 AM   #817
eddy
Side-Kick

lol xeno, thats pretty accurate from the few posts I've gleamed at.

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:03 AM   #818
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Its silly. People have been saying the general audience would get bored of SH movies since 2005*(and probably earlier) and look where we're at now. We have more SH films than ever before.

*that was a bad year for marvel movies, blech. Thanks alot Fox!
Hollywood releases around 600 films per year. This year, five films of that total will be based on comic book superheroes, with five other CBMs of other genres mixed in (including Red 2, 2 Guns, Sin City, RIPD and the 300 spinoff). The most successful films of the genre make the biggest impact at the box office, but in terms of sheer numbers they are dwarfed by the great mass of films from other genres.

It could be argued that the relatively small number of superhero films made each year makes the ones that are great stand out more, just as the bad ones make more of a stink.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:09 AM   #819
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Superhero films are definitely in a boom now, we are less likely to get a truly terrible film (green lantern was definitely a straggler) than we were in the early part of the decade. The trade off is that they are in danger of feeling somewhat overdone in a couple of years, back then a superhero film felt special, now if you don't like something just wait a couple of years and it will be rebooted.

I hope video game adaptations are our version of comic book movies in the 90's it just takes one "raimi's spider-man" or "singer's x-men" it just takes one hit to really get hollywood on board the huge library of potential.

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Old 04-30-2013, 08:29 AM   #820
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Superhero films are definitely in a boom now, we are less likely to get a truly terrible film (green lantern was definitely a straggler) than we were in the early part of the decade. The trade off is that they are in danger of feeling somewhat overdone in a couple of years, back then a superhero film felt special, now if you don't like something just wait a couple of years and it will be rebooted.

I hope video game adaptations are our version of comic book movies in the 90's it just takes one "raimi's spider-man" or "singer's x-men" it just takes one hit to really get hollywood on board the huge library of potential.
As a big gamer, God I hope not. The stories aren't worth it. The ones that are, are basically rip offs. Bio-Shock is the only one I could possibly see working on its own merits.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:30 AM   #821
MessiahDecoy123
Cosmic Spidey

I'm happy with 4 to 6 major superhero movies every year.

I think it's just enough to meet demand (yes these movies are very much in demand) without saturating the market.

Plus it's the only times I go to the movies any more. My time is precious.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:24 AM   #822
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
As a big gamer, God I hope not. The stories aren't worth it. The ones that are, are basically rip offs. Bio-Shock is the only one I could possibly see working on its own merits.
I agree. The games I think of when thinking about good stories are almost all based on books or something like that. Games get away with more when it comes to story since they rely on giving an interactive experience. Books, films, comics etc are all pure storytelling mediums.

As for the whole risk of saturation with superhero movies I'll gladly take that risk. The MCU movies are this far the most rewatchable of all for me and it really helps how they are tied together. If they make me tired of such movies I've still gotten something great while it lasted and can move on to something else. There's hardly a shortage of stories and genres to show in movies.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:31 AM   #823
eddy
Side-Kick

Yeah I don't go the cinema nearly as much as I did 10 years ago. Tickets were so much cheaper back then. I used to go see a movie just cause I didn't have anything else to do on a friday night all the time. So far this year I've only seen Django Unchained, Warm Bodies, Spring Breakers, and Evil Dead.

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #824
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yeah I don't go the cinema nearly as much as I did 10 years ago. Tickets were so much cheaper back then. I used to go see a movie just cause I didn't have anything else to do on a friday night all the time. So far this year I've only seen Django Unchained, Warm Bodies, Spring Breakers, and Evil Dead.
haha, I haven't gone to the movies since Christmas Day when I saw Django.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:07 AM   #825
eddy
Side-Kick

Django is a great movie. If tickets weren't so expensive I would've seen it more than once in theathers but I just saw it again last week on redbox and it was just as funny as the first time I saw it.

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE.
Closed Thread