The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Comic Books > Marvel Comics

Old 04-17-2013, 09:33 AM   #601
cthulhu
Gimme some sugar baby!!!

Default Re: The Rucka Punisher ongoing discussion!

Intresting read - such a damn shame this was ended so early, sales were not even that bad. Its kinda fustrating reading the sales on comichron and seeing Marvel publish other lower selling titles and they haven't been cancelled yet. The could have given Rucka another 6-8 issues and it would have rounded out the run a little more fully and well mainly given me more Punisher comics to enjoy! Hope there is something great coming down the line shortly. Also Technovore has been dispached, will review the Punisher's involvement shortly...

Old 04-17-2013, 11:26 AM   #602
Spikes
Vendetta

I have reviewed his involvement too, in the blog. And personally i liked it! Sadly he wouldn't last more than eleven minutes.

Spikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:49 PM   #603
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

I f***ing love Greg Rucka. I don't know if I've communicated that clearly enough.
Quote:
4. Rachels actions with the accidental shooting of Walter Bolt put Punisher in a new situation I don't believe any writer has covered before.
As a fan I just wanted to voice my recognition of that. Having said that many writers could validly have had Frank take Rachels life. Interestingly enough, you didn't. Could you tell us about your justification for Frank letting Rachel live and continue his mission despite the fact she took the life of an innocent?

I was sincerely going to have Frank kill her all the way up until I wrote 16, but the more I thought about it, the more I couldn’t make it work. At the start of the run, the untouchable Frank would’ve probably shot her dead and not blinked, but I just couldn’t default to such a simple decision; it seemed a disservice to Frank not to consider more than the action. In a way, it seemed to me, that doing so would turn him back into the Punisher who snipes jaywalkers, and that’s… that’s never sat right with me.

Frank kills, and people call him a killer, but he does so with purpose and direction. He knows it was a tragic mistake, yet another in a long line that have dogged both Rachel and himself. He also knows that – unlike himself – Rachel has a death wish. To kill her for Bolt’s death – a genuine, horrible mistake – would’ve been, perhaps, too much even for him at that last moment. And while Bolt is innocent, but he’s not AN innocent; his death isn’t the same as if Rachel had gunned down a cop on the street. The idea that Frank cannot discern between these things, that he does not see nuance, doesn’t sit well with me, you know? It simplifies him too much, and I think that does him wrong. He’s deeper than that, and smarter than that.

One could argue that what he does is potentially crueler, really – he forces her to live on. He takes from her the escape and the peace of ending everything.

And, tactically – and Frank always thinks tactically – there’s the fact that if Rachel survives everything she’s done to herself, he’s got another asset on mission. He’s got someone who, hopefully, gets her head straight and gets to the work that needs to be done.

Old 04-29-2013, 07:14 PM   #604
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

That man just gets it. Thanks for pissing him off Marvel.

runawayboulder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:08 AM   #605
Kable24
Member of the NRA

Sad, that they had a writer who truly understands the character and they screw him over.

Kable24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #606
ObakeTora
Me llamo Tigre Fantasma!

%^&&^ YES!!! New fan made Punisher film based off of Rucka's Punisher coming soon!!!

EXCLUSIVE: Fimmakers Tease Rucka-Inspired Punisher Fan Film

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=45794

ObakeTora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:54 PM   #607
Shockdingo
Cap America luvin' Canuck

Sweet!

Shockdingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #608
Kable24
Member of the NRA

That looks badass.

Kable24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:57 AM   #609
BlackFox
Almost ninja

Just picking up this series, lovin it so far.

(X-Men-Apocalypse:Brace yourselves, WAR is coming)
BlackFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:58 PM   #610
cthulhu
Gimme some sugar baby!!!

Good - think I'll pick up the trades and read it all again, I'm curious how it reads in one sitting. The fan trailer looks pretty good, will be interested in seeing the whole thing. Also of interest is 'The Trial of the Punisher' solicited for september funny how that can sit on a shelf for 7 years...

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ne...013001_Col.jpg

Last edited by cthulhu; 06-23-2013 at 05:08 PM.
cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 05:19 AM   #611
Spikes
Vendetta

The crew from that fan film are getting some problems with copyright stuff from Marvel. Let's hope they solve all the issues...

Old 07-05-2013, 06:19 PM   #612
CaptainCraig
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthulhu View Post
Good - think I'll pick up the trades and read it all again, I'm curious how it reads in one sitting. The fan trailer looks pretty good, will be interested in seeing the whole thing. Also of interest is 'The Trial of the Punisher' solicited for september funny how that can sit on a shelf for 7 years...

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ne...013001_Col.jpg
When I saw this was solicited I was of mixed minds.
Let Frank play out long enough in the lack luster Thunderbolts long enough and the perfect Rucka saga will be left alone.
Then again, revisiting this where it seems is picking up from the War Zone mini could be intriguing...if the team respects what came before vs writing something for editorial fiat to stream line the blanks that got Frank into Thunderbolts.

Hoping for the best, prepared for the worst.

Anyone try issue #1 of Rucka's Lazarus this week? I did, good premise out of the gate, could be good.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:43 AM   #613
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

I read Lazarus. Definitely intriguing.

Old 07-06-2013, 12:11 PM   #614
cthulhu
Gimme some sugar baby!!!

Yep Lazerus has potential so will be giving it a while. Also if note is Thunderbolts 12, first issue with the new writer Charles Soule. Dramatic improvement from daniel way and a nice return of the captions which is a Punisher mainstay.

Old 07-06-2013, 02:04 PM   #615
Balthus Dire
Punishment Continues

The real shame is that Rucka's run was let go in favor of a ridiculously inferior title in Thunderbolts. Seriously that run is so bad I could cry.

How did Marvel "screw over" Rucka, anyway? He says numerous times in the posted interview that he'd return to the character in a heartbeat and that he has no ill will toward Marvel themselves. Was it just as simple as Marvel not liking the numbers Rucka's run was/wasn't doing?

In any case, it's a damn shame all around. I just finished the Warzone trade and it would've been great to see where else he went with it.

Instead....t-bolts. Ugh.

Balthus Dire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:55 PM   #616
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

Seems like he was telling his story, it didn't sell as well as Marvel hoped, they told him they wanted to move Frank over to Thunderbolts and have that be the primary focus, so Rucka was like, "I'll just finish up and move on, then." But yeah, I would've loved to see what comes next. Rucka had clearly set Rachel up for a stint as the main character, which would've been interesting to see.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:22 AM   #617
Spikes
Vendetta

In the Q&A he said what he planned for his ongoing...

Quote:
1.) Is there anything in particular you would have liked to do with the book, but were unable to do?

Oh, sure. There are always ideas and plans, some of them just don’t execute, some of them just change. But if there’s one thing in particular I’d have liked to do, honestly, it’s that we had a plan for three books in a sequence – Punisher, War Zone, and then War Journal. I’d have loved to have seen that all the way through. The run on The Punisher got cut a little short, but War Zone was pretty much what Steve and I had envisioned from the start. Journal would’ve followed Frank once he’d been released by S.H.I.E.L.D. and would’ve put him in a team, but very different from Thunderbolts; rather, it would be a strike team of operatives, and it would’ve been some very wet work.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:21 PM   #618
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

I remember reading that. I bet Rachel would've found her way on that team too.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #619
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

I thought the plan was for Rachel to be operating as the Punisher of NY while Frank was doing his wet work stuff. Ah, what the hell does it matter anyway......we were robbed of it by Marvel.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:19 PM   #620
TheCorpulent1
Mabel's BFF
SHH! Global Moderator

I still have a vague hope that Rachel might turn up somewhere eventually. Of course, I also have a stronger feeling that if she does, it'll probably just be to kill her off.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:29 PM   #621
fat freddys cat
Side-Kick

Anyone seen this ? Coming our way in September .

The Trial of the Punisher

This has been kicking around since 2006 !

2 part limited series

Last edited by fat freddys cat; 07-12-2013 at 05:33 PM.
fat freddys cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 06:10 PM   #622
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCorpulent1 View Post
I still have a vague hope that Rachel might turn up somewhere eventually. Of course, I also have a stronger feeling that if she does, it'll probably just be to kill her off.
I can see that too, unfortunately. She'll be used as a plot device to spur Frank into action against some random criminals doing some random crime.

Refrigerator......here we come!

Old 07-13-2013, 09:03 PM   #623
CaptainCraig
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikes View Post
In the Q&A he said what he planned for his ongoing...
I wonder what that Wet Works team would've looked like?
Too bad he didn't give hints on that. If I'm going to mourn what could've been be nice to know all the details so I only cry once!!

Old 07-13-2013, 09:38 PM   #624
runawayboulder
#TheFappening

I'm sure that team would have been all new characters. Probably a mix of former SHIELD agents, mercs or maybe a former Hydra agent for the sake of Marvel Universe relevancy.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:56 PM   #625
S. Grundy
Side-Kick

Ennis is going to be doing a new Punsiher mini-series. He mentions it at the 9:10 mark.

Also came across this new Tim Bradstreet/Tom Jane Punisher bit of art.

S. Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote