The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > SHH Community > Sports

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 12:26 PM   #851
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Default Re: The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthphere View Post
I really think Ashley had the thought that he would lock him down for that long and he would enjoy similar success this year and then some bigger club would come and swoop him off his feet and have to pay a what I'm going to assume is a rather large pay out clause.
That's a crazy gamble though as it's basically a complete punt and if you lose, you pay the equivalent of that compensation yourselves. And even with a manager like Mourinho or Ferguson you never know what might happen to them..I'm talking things that can't be insured against like for eg having some serious personal issue that starts to get in the way of their judgment. In 8 years things will be very different, almost another era of football and a good manager from one era (which Pardew is not anyway) doesn't always make a good manager in a future era.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:17 PM   #852
B
[insert witty comment]

Default Re: The Ongoing Serie A, La Liga, All English Football, Champions League Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Rider View Post
I'm not disagreeing with this but I think the overriding truth is that he's not as essential as he was and that it wouldn't be that shocking, or disappointing IMO, if SAF had plans to take us in a direction that didn't involve Rooney.
I couldn't agree more, he is defiantly not as essentially now he is no longer required to be the lone goalscoring threat that he had to be when we sold 50+ goals a season in Tevez & Ronaldo.

However he had a role to play when he wasn't "top dog" when the likes of Ronaldo was around so I think he still has the qualities to have a role now we have RVP & potentially another proven goalscorer coming in.

Quote:
I'd also take into account that our wingers have had terrible seasons, we only have one top CM and Welbeck can't hit a barn door with a bazooka.
Every single one of our wingers this season has been horrific, Nani has what can only be called Nani syndrome which causes him to dick about for so long with the ball that he either loses it or the chance disappears & he has passed the infectious disease to Valencia. Although I will say, Nani was decent enough yesterday, if he had games like that in which he just uses his ability to get some space & get a cross in he would once again be valuable to us.. same with Valencia.

Welbeck is useful enough, however if he was playing as our sole striker, I feel we would only be good for 15 goals out of him (in the Premiership alone) per season at best. Maybe 20 overall out of 50 games if he plays his socks off. He has been made to look a better winger than what he is by the failings of Valencia, Nani & Young this year.

Quote:
In truth my ideal way for us to play would see Kagawa moved to the #10 role and either Bale or Reus brought in to play on the right with Rooney and Nani competing for the left sided role.
I feel Kagawa should be given that left sided role & allowed to drift infield, I feel against some of the more rougher & physical teams he can get himself into the mindset that he doesn't want the ball unless he has some manoeuvring space when playing more infield. Having Kagawa play there would be more useful than playing Young there seeing as Young has to cut inside anyway as he has no left footed cross.

Quote:
I honestly can't see Rooney as a CM, I don't think he has the engine now never mind at 30, but the main issue for me is his lack of agility and his short passing game, he's great at the odd Hollywood ball here and there but look at how many simple give and go short passes Scholes and Xavi make and look at how they turn out of trouble in tight areas, I just don't see this in Rooney's game.
I feel he'd be alright in 90% of games at least based on my assessment of him at the moment, the problem would be when he comes up against a real top quality passing CM. There would only be 3 or 4 players I'd class in that category in the Premiership, however I wouldn't favour him coming out on top in those games in the position.

Quote:
Even in that type of 4-2-3-1 system, 1 of the 2 usually breaks forward, the key is that the players in the 3 must work hard to win the ball back thus taking pressure off the 1 who holds.
In regards to our current discussion regarding the potential signing of Lewondowski, I was thinking more along the lines of 4-2-2-2. CDM's with 2 CAM like wide players & 2 ST's.

Quote:
Agreed except I think Anderson needs to go, we've given him 6 seasons, it's time we had someone else in his place IMO.
I do feel he should be moved on however he is good enough to be a rotation CM for us at his current level. It's much like selling a starter, I don't want us to get rid of so many CM's to the point were our backup/rotation CM's are unproven players like Powell or whoever.

Quote:
Fair enough, all I'm saying is that I'm open to the idea of a change if SAF deems it the right way to go for the club.
I'm open to change as well.. just not in favour of the particular change you are suggesting, if anything the change I'd like to see is us to step away from the traditional 2 wingers & instead use the likes of Kagawa & Rooney out wide being allowed to drift infield. I of course would want at least the capability of playing 2 wingers so I'd like us to keep at least 2 wingers & then sign a versatile attacking player like James Rodriguez who could play as either a winger or roaming CAM.. or striker from what I understand, if need be.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:33 PM   #853
spidey-dude
Y.N.W.A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthphere View Post
Because the English press is the problem?
he's made his own bed no doubt, but he gets a far harder time from the English press than other players who have done similar/identical things

▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬
★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Old 04-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #854
kit1982
Side-Kick

Like how diving Gareth Bale is refered to as a great role model?!!

2 great goals in the Villa vs Sunderland from the impressive Danny Rose and Andy Weinmann. I really hope Villa stay up I think if that young side they could offer alot more than a Wigan side whose main ambition every season is 17th.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:20 PM   #855
spidey-dude
Y.N.W.A

or how tame the media uproar was when Defoe bit Mascherano compared

▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬
★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Old 04-29-2013, 03:41 PM   #856
kit1982
Side-Kick

I'm sure Mascherano deserved it

Good player, absolute prick (yes still bitter about him elbowing Beckford in the Carling Cup)

Old 04-29-2013, 03:59 PM   #857
Darthphere
Kneel before 'Drox!

So this Aston Villa demolition pretty much means curtains for Wigan right? I mean, mathematically they're still alive I guess but yeah.

"When I was in college, I was belittling the woman who later become my wife for not knowing who Boba Fett was, and she responded by asking me if I knew who the Prime Minister of Israel was. Surprisingly? Not Mon Mothma."-BKV
Old 04-30-2013, 08:52 AM   #858
B
[insert witty comment]

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey-dude View Post
or how tame the media uproar was when Defoe bit Mascherano compared
To be fair, there was uproar from the media regarding Defoe's bite on Mascherano from what I can recall & there were calls from papers that the FA should look into overlooking their own stupid yellow card rule to punish Defoe because it was an exceptional circumstance..

I won't for a second argue that Suarez's treatment is on the same level to Defoe because I don't ever recall the Prime Minister having an opinion regarding Defoe's incident, however all this taken into account, I think the 2 instances weren't quite the same. Suarez grabbed hold of Ivanovic's arm & kinda attacked him like a dog, whereas Defoe kinda nibbled at Mascherano's arm.. which Mascherano made a meal off.. excuse the pun. Don't get me wrong, the FA should have looked into Defoe's case as well & given him a ban despite his yellow card, however comparing the 2 instances, Suarez's at least looked far worse, which is maybe why so many people are coming out of the woodwork to have an opinion on it.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:55 AM   #859
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Suarez did a Defoe, a Bale and a Terry! When the same guy does them all in a quite short space of time it's a bit different. Also annoying that Bale in particular seems to get off with almost no criticism.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:44 AM   #860
bapi
Side-Kick

Fernandinho (CM, 28, Shakhtar) to Man. City done and Diego Novaretti (CB, 28, Deportivo Toluca) very close now!

Heath Ledger, 1979-2008
Old 05-01-2013, 04:42 AM   #861
spidey-dude
Y.N.W.A

interesting buys from city

▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬
★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Old 05-01-2013, 05:31 AM   #862
Two-Face
Harvey Dent

So SAF says he will be busy at the transfer market.

Wow I didn't think he buy anyone maybe replace Scholesly but that's it.

Happy 75th Anniversary Batman

Old 05-01-2013, 05:52 AM   #863
Dr Lee
Feet first into hell

Midfield is an important place to look at.... Defence is okay, strike force is fine,keepers are sublime... but our midfield is poor, Giggsy, Scholes, Fletcher are all way past their best (even though Giggsy still has the occasional wonder game) and people like Nani, Anderson and Valencia have all played far below their capabilities this season...

Old 05-01-2013, 06:47 AM   #864
bapi
Side-Kick

Quote:
interesting buys from city
Yeah. Novaretti will be a 4th choice CB on low wages but Fernandinho will cost around 23M. However he was excellent in CL, he's very mobile, can dribble (3.9 per game in CL) and will replace Barry. This summer will be huge for City. Some other transfers are close and Txiki met Pellegrini's agent again.

Also Chelsea could have a 130M+ summer:
Abramovich has promised Mourinho to sign 4 players for his Chelsea side next season: Falcao, Di Maria, Moutinho and Pepe.

Heath Ledger, 1979-2008
Old 05-01-2013, 06:53 AM   #865
spidey-dude
Y.N.W.A

if Mourinho is off to Chelsea and they are bringing in those player I wouldn't mind us lowballing and trying to get Torres back - 20 goals this season, don't care who they were against would be helpful - Def past his best but could do a job, and possibly have a point to prove...

▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬
★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Old 05-01-2013, 07:28 AM   #866
Dr Lee
Feet first into hell

Just heard an interesting rumour... Giggsy is retiring to become SAF's right hand man.... With Bale coming in to take his shirt...

Old 05-01-2013, 08:10 AM   #867
Two-Face
Harvey Dent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Lee View Post
Midfield is an important place to look at.... Defence is okay, strike force is fine,keepers are sublime... but our midfield is poor, Giggsy, Scholes, Fletcher are all way past their best (even though Giggsy still has the occasional wonder game) and people like Nani, Anderson and Valencia have all played far below their capabilities this season...
Valenica, I would keep him I think he can come back to his best but I hope we sell him if we buy Bale of course.

Anderson, given so chances but sometimes he's been unlucky with injures he had still needs to be sold what's the fee United paid? 8m? not worth it.

Nani , Sell he gives the ball away or loses it when he runs into traffic. Think man think before you run out of space...

Scholes & Giggs, Legend nothing I can say. just replace them

Fletcher, Shame really, he was great previous season though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Lee View Post
Just heard an interesting rumour... Giggsy is retiring to become SAF's right hand man.... With Bale coming in to take his shirt...
Yeah That would be sweet deal, imagine RVP, Rooney (if we keep him) and Bale is mouth watering aspect....

Happy 75th Anniversary Batman

Old 05-01-2013, 10:27 AM   #868
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Bale, Falcao & Ronaldo back

Now that would fit the definition of 'busy in the transfer market'!

Old 05-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #869
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
This is the thing throughout Fergie's history at Utd. He's made all the hard decisions with getting rid of his very top players at the right time again and again. It usually looks crazy at the time but he's usually proven right. Part of why he's been at the top for so long.
Exactly, the summer he moved on Hughes, Kanchelskis and Ince in one go had people thinking he's gone spare, but it turned out to be huge beneficial to the growth of the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B View Post
Every single one of our wingers this season has been horrific, Nani has what can only be called Nani syndrome which causes him to dick about for so long with the ball that he either loses it or the chance disappears & he has passed the infectious disease to Valencia. Although I will say, Nani was decent enough yesterday, if he had games like that in which he just uses his ability to get some space & get a cross in he would once again be valuable to us.. same with Valencia.
Nani has had a difficult season as I think the contract wrangle has led to him being out of rotation most of the time, plus unlike Valencia he doesn't get the free pass on bad performances because his defending isn't as consistent.

Quote:
Welbeck is useful enough, however if he was playing as our sole striker, I feel we would only be good for 15 goals out of him (in the Premiership alone) per season at best. Maybe 20 overall out of 50 games if he plays his socks off. He has been made to look a better winger than what he is by the failings of Valencia, Nani & Young this year.
I'm not sure what to make of Danny, he's a good athlete, he has pace and strength combined with a good work ethic, but he's not very productive and I think that boils down to the fact he still lacks composure in the final third.

Quote:
I feel Kagawa should be given that left sided role & allowed to drift infield, I feel against some of the more rougher & physical teams he can get himself into the mindset that he doesn't want the ball unless he has some manoeuvring space when playing more infield. Having Kagawa play there would be more useful than playing Young there seeing as Young has to cut inside anyway as he has no left footed cross.
The thing is he's really a #10, he can play from the left but his best play for Dortmund came from playing behind the striker, and if Oscar can manage it at Chelsea I think he can here, and once he settles into the role we'll see the best of him.

Quote:
I feel he'd be alright in 90% of games at least based on my assessment of him at the moment, the problem would be when he comes up against a real top quality passing CM. There would only be 3 or 4 players I'd class in that category in the Premiership, however I wouldn't favour him coming out on top in those games in the position.
I honestly think it's not the quality of CM that will trouble him, it's any CM with agility and a hard pressing game, that's all you need to make him ineffective in midfield as he's not agile enough or quick footed enough under pressure.

Quote:
In regards to our current discussion regarding the potential signing of Lewondowski, I was thinking more along the lines of 4-2-2-2. CDM's with 2 CAM like wide players & 2 ST's.
Honestly I can't see SAF ever straying as far as that from wing-play.

Quote:
I do feel he should be moved on however he is good enough to be a rotation CM for us at his current level. It's much like selling a starter, I don't want us to get rid of so many CM's to the point were our backup/rotation CM's are unproven players like Powell or whoever.
I'd rather we had 4 CM's who could challenge each other for starting spots, as opposed to a player like Anderson who is only ever going to be a player we bring in for games against weaker sides at home.

Quote:
I'm open to change as well.. just not in favour of the particular change you are suggesting, if anything the change I'd like to see is us to step away from the traditional 2 wingers & instead use the likes of Kagawa & Rooney out wide being allowed to drift infield. I of course would want at least the capability of playing 2 wingers so I'd like us to keep at least 2 wingers & then sign a versatile attacking player like James Rodriguez who could play as either a winger or roaming CAM.. or striker from what I understand, if need be.
That's more of a change in formations and tactics with Rooney playing out of position, I'm just not it's best for the team or him, he's really not a 10 or a 9, he's somewhere in between, like DeL Piero was.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 05-01-2013, 01:33 PM   #870
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

What happened with ITV & Mourinho?

Old 05-01-2013, 01:41 PM   #871
Hunter Rider
Ronin
SHH! Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bapi View Post
Fernandinho (CM, 28, Shakhtar) to Man. City done and Diego Novaretti (CB, 28, Deportivo Toluca) very close now!
I'm not familiar with Novaretti but Fernandinho seems a good buy, he's mobile, likes a tackle and is technical good, he'll improve your midfield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two-Face View Post
So SAF says he will be busy at the transfer market.

Wow I didn't think he buy anyone maybe replace Scholesly but that's it.
From Fergie's recent interviews he's indicated 2 signings, he seems to want players that will lift our starting 11 as opposed to more squad players, which is good news.

Quote:
if Mourinho is off to Chelsea and they are bringing in those player I wouldn't mind us lowballing and trying to get Torres back - 20 goals this season, don't care who they were against would be helpful - Def past his best but could do a job, and possibly have a point to prove...
Wouldn't bringing him back just limit Sturridge's chances?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
What happened with ITV & Mourinho?
They cut him off mid-interview as they'd ran out of time.

"Now this life is etched in black but I wont be looking back, the rain washed out the tracks, I'll never find again"

Old 05-01-2013, 02:28 PM   #872
spidey-dude
Y.N.W.A

Sturridge would be ahead of him... might limit Borinis

▬▬~ஜ۩۞۩ஜ~▬▬
★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Old 05-01-2013, 02:49 PM   #873
Iceman
BOBSTER VON DREYK

Bayern scored at the beginning of the 2nd half. Barca need 6! haha

Old 05-01-2013, 02:52 PM   #874
The Game
Side-Kick

Bye bye Barca, could not have happened to a nicer team

Old 05-01-2013, 02:57 PM   #875
wobbly
Occasional Scribbler

To nick a line from Bill Paxton "Game over man, Game over!!".

All German final then. Hahaha. Platini, FIFA, Uefa, so much for your world's 'best' XI Bullsh#t. All La Liga my fat hairy arse.