Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 01:13 PM   #76
divan
Side-Kick

Default Re: Official Iron Man 3 rate/review thread. - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra Nolanite View Post
In what dimension are they POSSIBLY the same thing ?

When Liam Neeson was revealed to be Ra's people went "hey that's pretty bad ass, Ra's isn't dead" Plus they replace a cool looking Ra's with a cool looking Ra's thats also Liam Neeson !!!!

In IM 3
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
they replace a cool looking villain with, no offense to Guy Pierce, a lesser badguy.
The Mandarin didn't die until the end of the film either and Guy Pearce's Aldrich Killian/The Mandarin is a character with very similar strengths and weaknesses compared to Liam's Ra's.

You may have not liked Killian's arc, but that doesn't mean it's a bad arc. His evolution from a nobody who hides behind the shadows to accepting being 'one' with The Mandarin echoes Stark's becoming Iron Man (both fight against their insecurities) the same way Ra's Al Ghul's vengeance echoed Batman's justice.

You may like one more of them than the other but considering the similarities, trying to present one of them as objectively right and the other as objectively wrong is hypocrisy.

Last edited by divan; 04-30-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:00 PM   #77
MahvelBaby!
Side-Kick

These boards in one picture

I'm out till movie is out here friday, sadly movie has been spoiled for me, can't wait to watch everything in context...can't be worse than TDKR.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:25 PM   #78
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahvelBaby! View Post
These boards in one picture

I'm out till movie is out here friday, sadly movie has been spoiled for me, can't wait to watch everything in context...can't be worse than TDKR.
Sorry to hear man. It's unfortunate that some people felt the need to spoil it for everyone else, especially with different release dates. Most people weren't even coy about the spoilers, and ignored mods warnings.

I hope you enjoy the movie anyway. See you then, and look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:26 PM   #79
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra Nolanite View Post
In what dimension are they POSSIBLY the same thing ?

When Liam Neeson was revealed to be Ra's people went "hey that's pretty bad ass, Ra's isn't dead" Plus they replace a cool looking Ra's with a cool looking Ra's thats also Liam Neeson !!!!

In IM 3
they replace a cool looking villain with, no offense to Guy Pierce, a lesser badguy.
Very well said . There is also the fact that Batman Begins was marketed on the decoy Ra's al Ghul.

One is an actual plot twist and not to the fans by having Henri Ducard be in the movie while the other was part of a fake marketing scheme - a marketing scheme in this sense: "Oh! Look how we got you! Isn't it cool that we got you like this? Come on! It was pretty funny, wasn't it? "

It is a very black-and-white mindset to say that one other thing did it too thus it's hypocritical to say what IM3 did is bad because, as you said, they're two completely different things in different context and have nothing in common. IM3 may not be TDKR all over again in terms of the movie itself but the way fans respond to people's criticisms is exactly TDKR all over again. The whole "They did it with Ra's in BB and no one complained" is the equivalent to the "Batman quit in The Dark Knight Returns so it is ok for him to quit in Rises too".

Last edited by Shikamaru; 04-30-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:34 PM   #80
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norek View Post
You know, that kind of stuff just reinforces my feelings towards Iron Man 3. Why Marvel Studios does that kind of stuff is beyond me. And the whole thing I take from it, that's one of the reasons I was so disappointed, is just wasted potential.
I don't mind a twist. I just felt this one was completely unnecessary and did not enhance the character at all, but rather hurt him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
I agree Alfred's Doc Ock was a top notch villain I must say, I'd rank him up there with the greats.
So would I. I thought he was fantastic. Easily the best villain out of the Raimi trilogy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_b View Post
in 2008 if a future me would come and visit me and told me that Obadia Stane is the best villain in all 3 movies i would i would beat him(me) into a come.
its sad what they did to Mandarin.
I was expecting Mandarin to be the best villain of the trilogy, but you know I think Obadiah is a great villain. It's just that the villains should have gotten better with the sequels instead of weaker. Obadiah was a great promising start to the villains of Iron Man. But his standard was never lived up to or surpassed, IMO.

- The Joker
Old 04-30-2013, 02:40 PM   #81
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikamaru View Post
Very well said . There is also the fact that Batman Begins was marketed on the decoy Ra's al Ghul.

One is an actual plot twist and not to the fans by having Henri Ducard be in the movie while the other was part of a fake marketing scheme - a marketing scheme in this sense: "Oh! Look how we got you! Isn't it cool that we got you like this? Come on! It was pretty funny, wasn't it? "

It is a very black-and-white mindset to say that one other thing did it too thus it's hypocritical to say what IM3 did is bad because, as you said, they're two completely different things in different context and have nothing in common. IM3 may not be TDKR all over again in terms of the movie itself but the way fans respond to people's criticisms is exactly TDKR all over again. The whole "They did it with Ra's in BB and no one complained" is the equivalent to the "Batman quit in The Dark Knight Returns so it is ok for him to quit in Rises too".
I'm pretty sure both Ben Kingsley and Guy Pearce are way better actors than Marion Cotillard (worst death scene ever!)

Tom Hardy is a great actor who was hampered by that dumb mask and the McDonald's drive through speaker voice.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:41 PM   #82
TheVileOne
Side-Kick

I would give the movie an 8 to an 8.5.

I think Feige and Whedon were pulling our leg because the finale was in no way better than The Avengers, and while it was good I don't think it will be hard to top.

I think what kind of disappointed me the most was how almost innocuous the suits were in the movie. They are constantly breaking apart or just not working period. Tony can't seem to stick with one. You can also barely even get a good look at them before he dumps them or break them.

The plot twists:

Kingsley's performance is great. The plot twist is funny but unfortunately it happens at the expense of giving us a great and iconic villain for Stark to deal with. I'm fine with Killian being a villain but as "the villain" he just lacked that iconography that this franchise has always been lacking with the bad guys. I mean AIM being in the movie was cool, but we don't get the Scientist Supreme or anything.

Also, Tony's PTSD was a tremendous plot thread to start with but it resolved in an uneventful fashion and all but forgotten about by the end.

- CM Punk
Old 04-30-2013, 02:42 PM   #83
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

BTW, people are mistaken if they think the complaints of TDKR had to do with the ending. If you want to know the complaints about TDKR, just watch the HISHE episode of Dark Knight Rises. It's a very humorous telling of very serious script problems with TDKR.

......well that and the idiot cops who ran right into direct gun fire like it was freaking Bravehart or something.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:43 PM   #84
Shikamaru
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
I'm pretty sure both Ben Kingsley and Guy Pearce are way better actors than Marion Cotillard (worst death scene ever!)

Tom Hardy is a great actor who was hampered by that dumb mask and the McDonald's drive through speaker voice.
At least Bane delivered and was who he was promised to be by the marketing for the most part. Heck, at least Bane himself was an actual villain in the movie. What they did to Bane was nothing compared to what they did with Mandarin.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:43 PM   #85
BatsDC
Cold-Blooded

On the subject of villains...

I felt Guy Pearce was good as Aldrich Killian. His reveal to be The Mandarin strengthens his character... If you have the mindset all along that it's HIM who's the Mandarin, the twist isn't as bad. I didn't mind at all.

My favourite villain in the film however, was neither of the Mandarins... It was their good ol' bodyguard, Eric Savin. I doubt anybody will agree with me on this, but he was honestly (behind RDJ, of course, but that's different) my favourite character in the film. I have no idea why, either. He just wasn't like your typical henchman. Hey, maybe he should have been the Mandarin! Was hoping he'd survive, but ah well.

I don't really see how this film has weak villains at all... They're just not portrayed in the traditional way you'd expect villains to be.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:54 PM   #86
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
I don't mind a twist. I just felt this one was completely unnecessary and did not enhance the character at all, but rather hurt him.
My thoughts exactly. I got someone asking me if I disliked a bunch of other movies (like BB) because they had a twist. It's not that I have a problem with twists in general, it's this particular twist I have a problem with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
I was expecting Mandarin to be the best villain of the trilogy, but you know I think Obadiah is a great villain. It's just that the villains should have gotten better with the sequels instead of weaker. Obadiah was a great promising start to the villains of Iron Man. But his standard was never lived up to or surpassed, IMO.
Again, agreed. I watched IM1 a week ago, a few days before IM3 opened here, and I just kept thinking how good of a villain they had in IM1 in the face of Obadiah. Boy, he was great. And it's not like they got bad actors for the villains to follow, but I also think that no other villain in the IM franchise has reached the bar he set.

"Films are worth seeing period, even the bad ones." - Blue Sugar
Old 04-30-2013, 02:54 PM   #87
Ultra Nolanite
Side-Kick

Quote:
BTW, people are mistaken if they think the complaints of TDKR had to do with the ending. If you want to know the complaints about TDKR, just watch the HISHE episode of Dark Knight Rises. It's a very humorous telling of very serious script problems with TDKR.

......well that and the idiot cops who ran right into direct gun fire like it was freaking Bravehart or something.
But you gotta admit, it's kinda funny how a guy who no one claims they can understand has the most memorable and often referenced villain quotes of the year, decade perhaps.

It is kinda funny.

And you can make a HISHE for every single movie out there, I guarantee it. For instance if the Eagles would drop the ring in Mount Doom while the fellowship distracts Sauron the entire LOTR trilogy could have been over in 6 minutes. Nothing is safe from HISHE.

Apparently how IM1 should have ended was after the cave escape he has the shrapnel removed, the end.

"Sure thing kiddo, I'll just keep pretending to put food in your mouth and clothes on your gorram back"
Old 04-30-2013, 03:00 PM   #88
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Quote:

IM3 is full of those too, and can be nit-picked in literally every aspect the way those HISHE episodes make fun of other movies.

And please don't turn this into a TDK vs IM, or a Marvel VS DC war. No one's asking for it.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:01 PM   #89
Enriquespy
Side-Kick

I loved the poor man stealth suit, and the figth in the bar, it was great to see Tony improvise ala McGuiver.

"Evening, Commmmmmmmmmmmmmmissionerrrrrrrr"

Old 04-30-2013, 03:07 PM   #90
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatsDC View Post
On the subject of villains...

My favourite villain in the film however, was neither of the Mandarins... It was their good ol' bodyguard, Eric Savin. I doubt anybody will agree with me on this, but he was honestly (behind RDJ, of course, but that's different) my favourite character in the film. I have no idea why, either. He just wasn't like your typical henchman. Hey, maybe he should have been the Mandarin! Was hoping he'd survive, but ah well.
Well there you go, I agree with you. He was one of my favorite parts of the movie, actually. He was the kind of guy you truly love to hate. One of my friends said "This guy is so evil just sitting there doing nothing." Savin had a great presence. Damn, up until that point I didn't realize how much I liked him.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:10 PM   #91
Ultra Nolanite
Side-Kick

^ Yeah he creeped me out.

"Sure thing kiddo, I'll just keep pretending to put food in your mouth and clothes on your gorram back"
Old 04-30-2013, 04:09 PM   #92
BatsDC
Cold-Blooded

Quote:
Well there you go, I agree with you. He was one of my favorite parts of the movie, actually. He was the kind of guy you truly love to hate. One of my friends said "This guy is so evil just sitting there doing nothing." Savin had a great presence. Damn, up until that point I didn't realize how much I liked him.
I'm not alone, yes! Yeah, he really had a presence that the sort of character he was playing doesn't usually have.

Missed him after he died, though... Would have been nice to have at least one Extremis soldier with a personality beyond being a mindless brute in the final battle.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:48 PM   #93
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

yeah Savin really was great, I also enjoyed all things Mandarin (Kingsley and Killian) Thought it was a very good movie.

If you've got a minute, check out our up and coming clothing company. Summer wear now in stock!
( http://www.family1stclothingco.com/ )
Old 04-30-2013, 04:55 PM   #94
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Quote:
IM3 is full of those too, and can be nit-picked in literally every aspect the way those HISHE episodes make fun of other movies.

And please don't turn this into a TDK vs IM, or a Marvel VS DC war. No one's asking for it.
First off, I wasn't the one that brought it up. People were comparing the end of IM3 with TDKR. I was just pointing out that there were way bigger problems with TDKR than the ending.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:08 PM   #95
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Quote:
First off, I wasn't the one that brought it up. People were comparing the end of IM3 with TDKR. I was just pointing out that there were way bigger problems with TDKR than the ending.
Same with IM3. The ending is the least of it's problems. But I didn't see anyone comparing the endings of IM3 and TDKR - I just saw someone who said that the people's reaction to those who complained about TDKR is the same as the one we're having now.

I only see people comparing the twist of IM3 to the one in BB to justify it's okayness.

Old 04-30-2013, 05:40 PM   #96
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Quote:
Your opinion though isn't it? In mine I've yet to see a marvel film touch what TDKR did, and that's not even the best Batman film.

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Old 04-30-2013, 05:42 PM   #97
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

I thought the Ra's twist was cool. I fully expected it to happen and not because I read the script leak or any spoilers before seeing it. Neeson's beard and accent gave it away early in the film that he was Ra's, at least to me. He sounded similar to the guy who did the Ra's voice in the Animated Series, so in my mind I already viewed him as Ra's. When the twist happened, it just confirmed what I was already thinking in the back of my mind. haha

Old 04-30-2013, 05:42 PM   #98
Sharkboy
Tell em Steve-Dave

Quote:
Same with IM3. The ending is the least of it's problems. But I didn't see anyone comparing the endings of IM3 and TDKR - I just saw someone who said that the people's reaction to those who complained about TDKR is the same as the one we're having now.

I only see people comparing the twist of IM3 to the one in BB to justify it's okayness.
I think they are very comparable (tdkr and im3) not just in terms of boldness but just fan reaction and thematic material. I would love to go into it but maybe not this minute, i just felt the need to set up a future comparison from me later on.

1-The Dark Knight/2-The Dark Knight Rises/3-Batman Begins/4-Guardians of the Galaxy/5-X-Men: Days of Future Past/6-Captain America: The Winter Soldier/7-Spider-Man 2/8-The Avengers/9-Superman:TM/10-The Incredibles

Calvary - 9.5/10 Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 10/10 Guardians of the Galaxy - 9.5/10
Old 04-30-2013, 05:49 PM   #99
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post
I think they are very comparable (tdkr and im3) not just in terms of boldness but just fan reaction and thematic material. I would love to go into it but maybe not this minute, i just felt the need to set up a future comparison from me later on.
Setting up teasers for future stuff eh? Just make sure you follow up on what you're building and don't leave it hanging.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:10 PM   #100
rashad
Hype Board Junkie

Quote:
There's so much dumb stuff in "Iron Man 3" that I expected the credits to say, "Written and directed by Thor."
Kyle Smith
New York Post
Top Critic

Quote:
The mechanics of Iron Man 3 are complex and rambunctious, like Keystone Kops, bouncing off one another and ultimately canceling one another out.
Stephanie Zacharek
Village Voice
Top Critic

Closed Thread