The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

View Poll Results: How do you think Captain America: The Winter Soldier will do?
$1.5 billion 3 1.63%
$1 billion 8 4.35%
$900 million 11 5.98%
$800 million 20 10.87%
$700 million 45 24.46%
$600 million 53 28.80%
$500 million 38 20.65%
$400 million 4 2.17%
$300 million 2 1.09%
$200 million 0 0%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 03:10 AM   #26
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Default Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier Box Office Prediction Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB-the-Hunter View Post
I think the April release date is going to help it more than hurt it. April '14 is essentially going to be the month of Captain America, and if it ends up getting good word of mouth, it'll steamroll everything in its path until TASM 2 comes out in May. I mean Iron Man 3 has The Great Gatsby and Star Trek Into Darkness to worry about. Thor 2 has Catching Fire to worry about. The only thing Cap 2 has to worry about is Rio 2. April 4th 2014 is a very favorable release date.
April is still a quiet month compare to the summer season. Just look at Oblivion's performance this month. Captain America 2 has to be really good to set records in April.

And competition doesn't matter that much to sure-fire blockbuster movie franchises such as Iron Man, Batman, etc. Some movies opened in a very crowded month/weekend and still managed to gross more than 200 to 300 million. Captain America is not even a big movie franchise yet. Its probably going to do decent business, but as far as setting records, earning more than 200 million with an April release date, I'm not sure if this movie achieve that.

"Don't ever do that again" - X3
"They'll find us they'll always do" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
Old 04-25-2013, 04:04 AM   #27
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
April is still a quiet month compare to the summer season. Just look at Oblivion's performance this month. Captain America 2 has to be really good to set records in April.

And competition doesn't matter that much to sure-fire blockbuster movie franchises such as Iron Man, Batman, etc. Some movies opened in a very crowded month/weekend and still managed to gross more than 200 to 300 million. Captain America is not even a big movie franchise yet. Its probably going to do decent business, but as far as setting records, earning more than 200 million with an April release date, I'm not sure if this movie achieve that.
You're not taking the "Avengers boost" in to account. The Captain America franchise before The Avengers and after The Avengers are two different things. Cap 2 probably would have made more than $200M WITHOUT The Avengers but now that Captain America is an A-List superhero Cap 2 will pretty much automatically be a big film, and could easily make more than $200M domestically.

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
Old 04-25-2013, 04:36 AM   #28
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

I'm already taking the Avengers boost thats why I said it would perform like G.I. Joe Retaliation but about 30 to 50% better because its part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. You have to remember that this isn't the 1st film coming out post-The Avengers, its the 3rd. The films that are gonna get the most boost are Iron Man 3 and Thor 2. And I have a feeling next year, that the Avengers effect will start to wear out in general audience, thats why I see Cap 2 and GOTG being less successful than Iron Man 3 and Thor 2. Not every film that will come out after The Avengers will perform like gold. They will still have to rely on the star power of the lead actor, good release date, etc. And in my opinion, Captain America will never be as successful as the movies of Iron Man and The Avengers.

Last edited by psylockolussus; 04-25-2013 at 04:40 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:27 AM   #29
Repulsor Blast
Walloping Websnappers

why did TFA so poorly in america? you guys are pretty patriotic after all.

www.redlettermedia.com
Old 04-25-2013, 09:59 AM   #30
Mr. Dent
Banned User

$176m is poor?

Old 04-25-2013, 12:16 PM   #31
DOOZlovesBOOZ
Side-Kick

I guess what repulsor was getting at is that since Cap is a representation of American pride, then why wasn't the BO bigger than it was. And to answer that I would say IMO most people had no idea who Cap was, I know I didn't(just got into comics cuz of
Avengers) but went and saw the movie cuz I knew he was part of the avengers build up.

Old 04-25-2013, 01:34 PM   #32
InternetPeople
Petty... and tiny

I always thought Cap was kinda weak compared to the other heroes. He's really a gymnast with a shield. He needs a really strong story and character development because he's just not a character that pops off the screen for action. Watch TFA and you'll see what I'm saying.

I love my country as much as anyone but just because a dude wears the flag doesn't mean I automatically love him. All that said, I loved the film and the character has really grown on me.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #33
JB-the-Hunter
Hunter of weaklings

Quote:
And I have a feeling next year, that the Avengers effect will start to wear out in general audience
No way in hell that happens. You've got it backwards, Captain America is the franchise that benefits the most from the Avengers boost for 3 reasons. 1) Out of the big 3, Cap's first movie made the least amount of money, therefore The Avengers gave him more exposure the the general audience than it did for Iron Man or Thor. 2) Cap 2 has a total of 5 returning characters from The Avengers, it will be the one that most resembles The Avengers and will be the one most connected to the film. 3) By the time Cap 2 releases the hype for The Avengers 2 will have just started due to filming.

The order the movies come out and the distance of release from the first Avengers movie doesn't matter at all, especially since people are aware that The Avengers 2 is coming. The only way the Avengers effect will wear out is if Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 are mediocre, but it doesn't look that way.

Bruce Banner - "Captain America is on threat watch?"

Natasha Romanoff - "We all are."
Old 04-25-2013, 09:06 PM   #34
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by InternetPeople View Post
I always thought Cap was kinda weak compared to the other heroes. He's really a gymnast with a shield. He needs a really strong story and character development because he's just not a character that pops off the screen for action. Watch TFA and you'll see what I'm saying.

I love my country as much as anyone but just because a dude wears the flag doesn't mean I automatically love him. All that said, I loved the film and the character has really grown on me.
Captain America didn't make a lot of money (ideally, it should have been as bigger as Iron Man) but Chris Evans is just not a big draw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB-the-Hunter View Post
No way in hell that happens. You've got it backwards, Captain America is the franchise that benefits the most from the Avengers boost for 3 reasons. 1) Out of the big 3, Cap's first movie made the least amount of money, therefore The Avengers gave him more exposure the the general audience than it did for Iron Man or Thor. 2) Cap 2 has a total of 5 returning characters from The Avengers, it will be the one that most resembles The Avengers and will be the one most connected to the film. 3) By the time Cap 2 releases the hype for The Avengers 2 will have just started due to filming.

The order the movies come out and the distance of release from the first Avengers movie doesn't matter at all, especially since people are aware that The Avengers 2 is coming. The only way the Avengers effect will wear out is if Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 are mediocre, but it doesn't look that way.
Harry Potter 3 was the best film in the first three movies of Harry Potter and yet it is the lowest grossing film in the series. It also suffered because of the release date. I don't see why it couldn't happen to Captain America.

Last edited by psylockolussus; 04-25-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:02 AM   #35
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Opening Weekend - $60 to $70 million
Domestic - $140 to $180 million
Worldwide - $425 to $500 million

I think this movie will earn more money if it comes out in summer.
I actually disagree. I think the fact that it isn't coming out in Summer will give it more money than it usually would have gotten.

If you look at the month of April 2014, it's almost dead. Captain America will be #1 for at least 2-3 weeks. This is basically in the Hunger Games spot, and I'm expecting big money from it, especially if it's good. The first Captain America would've done better if it wasn't buried in a sea of similar movies fighting for the same demographic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repulsor Blast View Post
why did TFA so poorly in america? you guys are pretty patriotic after all.
July to August 2011 was an oddly competitive time in box office, with Planet of the Apes outperforming expectations.

The film also lacked the big budget advertising push required for a true break out hit. CA: TWS will have neither of these problems against it, and with the Avengers boost that is currently seeing Iron Man match the Avengers in some foreign markets, and blow past it's predecessor, we will see Cap show similar growth.

I'm going with

Domestic- $200-250 M
Foreign- $350-450 M
Worldwide- $550-650 M

I'll probably be adjusting that based on Iron Man 3 and Thor: The Dark World's performances. But I can't imagine 3 of the 4 stars of the biggest non-James Cameron movie of all time not receiving a huge boost in returns.

2015: Ant-Man
2016: Thor: Ragnarok, Doctor Strange
2017: Captain America: Secret Empire, Black Panther
2018: The Incredible Hulk: Rise of the Leader, Guardians of the Galaxy: War of Kings
2019: The Inhumans, Avengers: Thanos Imperative

Last edited by KangConquers; 04-26-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:20 PM   #36
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

I could have sworn that Cap did better on DVD than Thor. Fast Five did over 200mil and it was released in April, I don't see why it would be impossible for Cap 2 with 3D on it's side to pull in 200mil. I'm not saying it will be easy but I'd give it a 50-50 shot if the movie is good like the first film was.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:17 AM   #37
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Quote:
Um, like Spidey said, Fast Five did huge numbers in April, and finished with $209M domestic in the bank. Marvel Studios and Disney did a smart thing by scheduling TWS for April. It has less competition there than it would in May-July 2014.

Fast Five opened with a hefty $86M, the highest April opening weekend ever. With 3D and ticket price inflation, TWS should be able to get a similarly big weekend (if not more). It's all contingent on whether audiences embrace both IM3 and Thor 2, and keep them wanting more.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 05-01-2013, 12:45 AM   #38
xeno000
Raining hell from above

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
I could have sworn that Cap did better on DVD than Thor. Fast Five did over 200mil and it was released in April, I don't see why it would be impossible for Cap 2 with 3D on it's side to pull in 200mil. I'm not saying it will be easy but I'd give it a 50-50 shot if the movie is good like the first film was.
CA: TFA sold as many BR/DVD units in its first week as Thor had sold in seven weeks of release. It was a surprisingly popular film on disk as well as a strong rental.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:05 AM   #39
kedrell
Porkchop Sandwiches!!!

I'm going with

OW: 100M
DOM: 285M
WW: 625M

Old 05-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #40
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
CA: TFA sold as many BR/DVD units in its first week as Thor had sold in seven weeks of release. It was a surprisingly popular film on disk as well as a strong rental.
That's even better than I thought. Like I said if the sequel is good I see room for growth. If March can have films open with 70 and 150mil I think that Cap could do 85-90mil. And I'm not saying that because I was a fan of the first film.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:56 PM   #41
Mr. Dent
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedrell View Post
I'm going with

OW: 100M
DOM: 285M
WW: 625M
Those seem quite a bit too high to me but after IM3 maybe we're underestimating the Avengers effect...

Old 05-01-2013, 10:33 PM   #42
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Yeah. My worldwide estimate for Captain America: The Winter Soldier is $600M, but it could go much higher than that.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 05-04-2013, 12:09 AM   #43
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dent View Post
Those seem quite a bit too high to me but after IM3 maybe we're underestimating the Avengers effect...
It seems quite too high to me too. But we'll see if Captain America will still benefit from the Avengers effect after Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 were released in theaters.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:05 PM   #44
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

I think both this movie and Thor: The Dark World can have a $100M+ opening weekend, but the jury's out on whether either can get to $150M-$170M.

I think Disney is going to push this movie as "Avengers 1.5", which will be easier since more Avengers stars are in this than in IM3. (As well as tie in Steve's connection to the Winter Soldier.) If TWS can deliver the goods like IM3 did, I think a $120M opening is the ceiling for this pic.

"Come Think With Us."
Old 05-06-2013, 10:44 PM   #45
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Right now, I like that $120 mil number. But, let's see how Thor performs. I think Cap and Thor will perform similarly in their sequel efforts.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:43 AM   #46
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
Right now, I like that $120 mil number. But, let's see how Thor performs. I think Cap and Thor will perform similarly in their sequel efforts.
I know numbers matter a pretty decent amount in the eyes of the studios and to an extent some people in the general public who like the use them as bragging rights, but if Thor2 and Cap2 are very good movies I'm a happy camper and whatever they make, they make to me haha. Just give me quality flicks that add more depth to this phase of the MCU

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
If you've got a minute, check out our up and coming clothing company. Summer wear now in stock!
( http://www.family1stclothingco.com/ )
Old 05-07-2013, 07:30 AM   #47
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkilban2 View Post
I know numbers matter a pretty decent amount in the eyes of the studios and to an extent some people in the general public who like the use them as bragging rights, but if Thor2 and Cap2 are very good movies I'm a happy camper and whatever they make, they make to me haha. Just give me quality flicks that add more depth to this phase of the MCU
indeed. If Cap 2 is an awesome movie It doesn't need to break records in my eyes. just needs to be enough where they keep making more...which it will... Marvel hasn't flopped yet!

Old 05-07-2013, 08:33 AM   #48
Spider-Fan
The First Avenger Mod!!!
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkilban2 View Post
They matter in the sense of if/how quickly sequels happen.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #49
Ms. Marvel
Side-Kick

Predictions make more sense after the trailer is released :P
Not while the movie is still being filmed.

Old 06-16-2013, 10:51 PM   #50
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclay18 View Post
I think both this movie and Thor: The Dark World can have a $100M+ opening weekend, but the jury's out on whether either can get to $150M-$170M.

I think Disney is going to push this movie as "Avengers 1.5", which will be easier since more Avengers stars are in this than in IM3. (As well as tie in Steve's connection to the Winter Soldier.) If TWS can deliver the goods like IM3 did, I think a $120M opening is the ceiling for this pic.
I wouldn't hold my breath for a $150 to $170 million.

Even if Nick Fury, Black Widow and Maria Hill appears in this movie, the film still doesn't have Hulk, Thor and Iron Man. In terms of characters that appearing in TWS, Captain America is the only major draw of the film.

Last edited by psylockolussus; 06-16-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Closed Thread