Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 2

You may watch.

Old 04-29-2013, 03:46 AM   #604
LuisTX85
Anti-Hero

Are the big 3 going to be I'm the trilogy or get killed/written off??

Old 04-29-2013, 04:31 AM   #605
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Jury's out for that one.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:01 AM   #606
Solouk
Side-Kick

It's a cert not all three will be in Episode VIII (probably) I'm thinking maybe Solo? If the story pans out that his son, whoever that maybe, turns to the darkside and ends up killing hiim for whatever reason? How much gravity is that going to give THAT character!? He killed Han! His own son!!!!

Old 04-29-2013, 11:37 AM   #607
smallville fan
Hero

Question: Has the EU covered the exact details of how the big 3 died? or the exact details of the events of that time? If not well.... Episode VII story idea! Yay the EU won't be retconned!

The movie will probably be about Jaina and Ben on having the burden of the Skywalker/Solo legacy and you have the Force ghost of Luke being in the Obi-Wan/Yoda role.

Old 04-29-2013, 12:13 PM   #608
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
Question: Has the EU covered the exact details of how the big 3 died? or the exact details of the events of that time? If not well.... Episode VII story idea! Yay the EU won't be retconned!

The movie will probably be about Jaina and Ben on having the burden of the Skywalker/Solo legacy and you have the Force ghost of Luke being in the Obi-Wan/Yoda role.
What? I'm sorry this post does not make any sense to me. How did you get that the EU will not be reconned out of that?

Old 04-29-2013, 04:02 PM   #609
Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solouk View Post
Surely characters AND story go arm in arm?. One is not more important than the other. Without a good story, then good characters can't exist?
I have to disagree, I've experienced stories I didn't care for with characters I loved and vice versa. Of course the two are tightly related, but one thing doesn't automatically include the other.

Last edited by 747; 04-29-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #610
Solouk
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747 View Post
I have to disagree, I've experienced stories I didn't care for with characters I loved and vice versa. Of course the two are tightly related, but they are not mutually exclusive.
Can you give any examples?

Old 04-29-2013, 04:53 PM   #611
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

I'd say there are films where the story can take more of a spotlight, and another where the characters are the spotlight and both be excellent. My point is Star Wars the OT is known so well mainly for it's characters Han, Leia, Luke, Obi-Wan Vader, C-3P0, R2, Chewie ect. They were such good characters it helped move along a very basic plot. However was the story bad? No but the focus was mainly on the characters. And their journey mainly that of Luke's and the Journey of the Hero (ala Joseph Campbell).

Other films where the story takes a bigger role like Inception, another superb film but the characters were not fleshed out much, and they were not focused as much on them as something like Star Wars, it had a complicated world/plot that was the center and the characters took a back seat. Now that's not a slam, both films are superb, but it shows that some types of films rely more on complicated stories and less character involvement. Whereas Star Wars does the opposite and really focuses mainly on characters first and foremost, and still has wonderous great plots, but the characters and their personal journey is the real center of the films.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:31 AM   #612
KillerCarlson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
I'd say there are films where the story can take more of a spotlight, and another where the characters are the spotlight and both be excellent. My point is Star Wars the OT is known so well mainly for it's characters Han, Leia, Luke, Obi-Wan Vader, C-3P0, R2, Chewie ect. They were such good characters it helped move along a very basic plot. However was the story bad? No but the focus was mainly on the characters. And their journey mainly that of Luke's and the Journey of the Hero (ala Joseph Campbell).

Other films where the story takes a bigger role like Inception, another superb film but the characters were not fleshed out much, and they were not focused as much on them as something like Star Wars, it had a complicated world/plot that was the center and the characters took a back seat. Now that's not a slam, both films are superb, but it shows that some types of films rely more on complicated stories and less character involvement. Whereas Star Wars does the opposite and really focuses mainly on characters first and foremost, and still has wonderous great plots, but the characters and their personal journey is the real center of the films.
Inception is a bad example. The characters were purposely left alone and not fleshed out because it added to the mystery of the film. I'm not sure of a better film to mention. If i think of one i will be sure to post it.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:47 AM   #613
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
What? I'm sorry this post does not make any sense to me. How did you get that the EU will not be reconned out of that?
What my question was whether Luke/Han/Leia's death was depicted in and EU lore?

If not well I guess my hunch about the sequel trilogy ending with their deaths is a plausible one. Then Ben and Jaina would end up carrying the Solo/Skywalker legacy and becoming the new heroes of the franchise.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:52 AM   #614
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

None of the big 3 have died in the EU. Although in the Legacy comics Luke appears as a Force Ghost to Cade, so we can assume he died at some point after the current post-NJO Lucasbooks stuff.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:35 AM   #615
Young Superman
The Last Son of Krypton

I'd rather see Luke back then Han.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:51 AM   #616
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Same here.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:03 AM   #617
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerCarlson View Post
Inception is a bad example. The characters were purposely left alone and not fleshed out because it added to the mystery of the film. I'm not sure of a better film to mention. If i think of one i will be sure to post it.
Yes....that was my point. It was a perfect example...because it was purposefully done......I said both films are superb films. That was the entire point of my post. Some films put one over another and that can work.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:06 PM   #618
Solouk
Side-Kick

I think if a story is well written and well scripted it needs good characters to drive the story. They become integral to making it work. For me, the two are intrinsically linked. I need to believe in the characters to be involved in the story the characters are set in. If that makes sense? It's like when you get a plot twist in a story. A good plot twist will only truly work if the characters involved are strong ones that you've bought into. Otherwise it becomes kinda meaningless. Just my opinion.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:33 PM   #619
Marvolo
Side-Kick

John Williams likely to return according to JJ
JJ Abrams:
Quote:
"For 'Star Wars,' it's every early days to know, but I believe that going forward, John Williams will be [scoring] that film," he said, jokingly adding: "Because, apparently, he was there long before I was."
http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...medium=twitter

Old 04-30-2013, 04:36 PM   #620
KillerCarlson
Side-Kick

Quote:
Yes....that was my point. It was a perfect example...because it was purposefully done......I said both films are superb films. That was the entire point of my post. Some films put one over another and that can work.
I was assuming you wanted a film that unintentionally left out either fleshed out characters or lost the story because of them.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:46 PM   #621
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvolo View Post
John Williams likely to return according to JJ
JJ Abrams:

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...medium=twitter
Great to hear.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #622
iamlegend
Que es eso?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
None of the big 3 have died in the EU. Although in the Legacy comics Luke appears as a Force Ghost to Cade, so we can assume he died at some point after the current post-NJO Lucasbooks stuff.
Sigh. For me, these are the worst part of the EU. I didn't find them enjoyable, and they pigeon-holed where the books in the EU had to inevitably lead to, which, IMO, has severely hurt EU quality.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:06 PM   #623
Spider-Gnome
The Arach-Gnome

Quote:
Great to hear.

It certainly will!

The Spectacular Spider-Man:
The BEST adaptation of the Spider-Man comics in any form
Old 04-30-2013, 06:06 PM   #624
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Any chance we'll get a huge announcement on May 4th about this movie?

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:24 PM   #625
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Well Disney is doing a celebration of sorts for May the 4th, however if there is anything Episode VII related or not is unknown. My pessimistic side says probably not. But my optimistic side is thinking they will at least have a few small things to announce since this will be Disney's first May the 4th and they want to be good with the fans I'm sure.