The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Captain America > Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 07:56 AM   #76
chamber-music
Hail Hydra

Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

Only people I would be intrested in seeing widow paired up with is Hawkeye or Bucky.

Cap should have Sharon Carter as his love intrest.

If they want to give Falcon a love intrest (I doubt they will) I think Maria Hill might be a option.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:19 AM   #77
Norrin Parker
Majestor of the Shi'ar

Default Re: "Yeah, it's going to be fun"- The Black Widow/Scarlett Johansson Thread

I don't think every female needs to be a love interest, nor do I think all the males need a love interest.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:58 AM   #78
BoredGuy
Killing Time

Maria Hill shouldn't be paired up, she's a career woman

but 'Tash + Bucky and Steve + Sharon 4-evs

Old 04-29-2013, 02:12 PM   #79
Sneakronicity
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksb36 View Post
I don't see a Cap/Widow thing going on for a couple of reasons.

First of all, Joss spent a lot of time subtly establishing the Hawkeye/Widow pseudo romance in TA. That relationship is not emotionally played out and after nearly 20 years of watching his output, I contend he has PLANS for these two. Joss is going to put Widow through the ringer in TA2. Trust me.

Secondly, Evans and ScarJo have no chemistry. Zilch. Watching them trying to play romantic opposite each other in other films is flicking painful.

Lastly, the Peggy/Steve relationship is far from resolved. It will be a major thread running through TWS.

This isn't 1985. The female romantic leads are not just place holders that can be switched out from film to film. They're important characters in their own right. Steve will not move on until the emotional resolution of these past relationships is complete.

I would expect TWS to somewhat resolve the Peggy Carter of it all, and perhaps introduce a potential love interest for Steve, at some point in the future, but there will not be time for any heavy duty lovin. The film is going to be awfully crowded, as it is.
I hope you're right about Hawkeye/Widow. It would be a shame to waste the chemistry and the beautifully subtle hints at the depth of their relationship that Joss set up in The Avengers.

I agree with all you said about Peggy, it would do the Steve/Peggy romance a great disservice to just cast it aside with no resolution. As I said, I could see them laying a bit of groundwork in this next film for a future romance for Steve with Agent 13 but I don't suspect it will progress far until the third film.

Ultimately I'm still very worried about everything they seem to be packing into this film.

Old 04-29-2013, 02:35 PM   #80
BoredGuy
Killing Time

I didn't see Hawkeye and Widow as having a romantic past
I got the impression they were just partners and fellow agents who had worked together in some very hairy situations
You could clearly see that they cared about each other, but anything beyond that, romantic or sexual, I just didn't feel any of that

And I still think concerns about this being overpacked are unfounded at this point
I doubt we'll see much of Hill, Batroc, maybe a decent role for Crossbones but still not huge, and even Fury and the character Redford's playing will probably only have a couple minutes of actual screentime in the end

Last edited by BoredGuy; 04-29-2013 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:29 PM   #81
Ksb36
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGuy View Post
I didn't see Hawkeye and Widow as having a romantic past
I got the impression they were just partners and fellow agents who had worked together in some very hairy situations
You could clearly see that they cared about each other, but anything beyond that, romantic or sexual, I just didn't feel any of that
Well, then you missed some really nice set up. It was subtle but very present. Widow and Hawkeye are in Lurve. But it's not your typical jump-each-other's-bones movie love. It's love based on shared experiences, sacrifice, dedication to a greater good and of course sexual attraction.

All of Joss Whedon's work surges, aches with LOVE. Love for another person, love for life, love for something greater than oneself. Yes, even The Avengers is a study in LOVE, in the best part of ourselves, and of the characters selves.

Captain Mal Reynolds: Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse... but you take a boat in the air that you don't love... she'll shake you off just as sure as the turn of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she ought to fall down... tells you she's hurting before she keels. Makes her a home.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:22 PM   #82
Sneakronicity
Side-Kick

This entire post is beautiful. I never really thought about it before, but it's true. While Avengers didn't really have romance it definitely had a whole lot of love. Perfection.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:42 PM   #83
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
I don't see a Cap/Widow thing going on for a couple of reasons.

First of all, Joss spent a lot of time subtly establishing the Hawkeye/Widow pseudo romance in TA. That relationship is not emotionally played out and after nearly 20 years of watching his output, I contend he has PLANS for these two. Joss is going to put Widow through the ringer in TA2. Trust me.

Secondly, Evans and ScarJo have no chemistry. Zilch. Watching them trying to play romantic opposite each other in other films is flicking painful.

Lastly, the Peggy/Steve relationship is far from resolved. It will be a major thread running through TWS.

This isn't 1985. The female romantic leads are not just place holders that can be switched out from film to film. They're important characters in their own right. Steve will not move on until the emotional resolution of these past relationships is complete.

I would expect TWS to somewhat resolve the Peggy Carter of it all, and perhaps introduce a potential love interest for Steve, at some point in the future, but there will not be time for any heavy duty lovin. The film is going to be awfully crowded, as it is.
Have you seen Thor or TIH?

Old 04-29-2013, 11:23 PM   #84
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

Quote:
Well, then you missed some really nice set up. It was subtle but very present. Widow and Hawkeye are in Lurve. But it's not your typical jump-each-other's-bones movie love. It's love based on shared experiences, sacrifice, dedication to a greater good and of course sexual attraction.
No, there was nothing definite about it. She is deeply devoted to him, to be sure, similarly to how devoted Steve was to Bucky.

It could be a set up for further romance, but it could be just what it looks like. A strong, platonic friendship.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:51 AM   #85
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

I really want more of this Widow. I also want Carol to turn up and for them to have a professional conversation about their job.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:53 AM   #86
psylockolussus
The X-Men 5 Advocator!

LOL @ those manly legs!

"Once you cage the beast, the beast gets angry" - X3
"Patience isn't my strongest suit" - X4
JOIN MY ADVOCACY ON www.twitter.com/xmen5movie2018/
Old 04-30-2013, 01:20 AM   #87
mkilban2
family1stclothingco.com

by those proportions she's like 8 feet tall haha..

but I do want her to have a cool fight scene or two in Cap2

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
If you've got a minute, check out our up and coming clothing company. Summer wear now in stock!
( http://www.family1stclothingco.com/ )
Old 04-30-2013, 08:11 AM   #88
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

The latest pics that DCMF kindly provided in the main CATWS thread show a real buddy-cop vibe going on with Cap and Widow. Looks like she's becoming more of a sidekick than Falcon is....?

And yeah, *could* be a totally platonic relationship. But all I'm sayin' is it looks like Steve and Tasha are going to be spending a lot of screentime together, so there's opportunities, IYKWIM.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 04-30-2013, 09:43 AM   #89
BoredGuy
Killing Time

Quote:
I agree they love each other, and there probably is a good amount of sexual attraction, but it just doesn't seem like they're IN love, savvy? More of a brother/sister thing, or just a longtime platonic partner kinda thing.
If your read of the sitch showed them in love, that's fine, just not how I saw it

Old 04-30-2013, 09:52 AM   #90
Steve Holt
STEVE HOLT!

i'd rather a sibling relationship that in love.

Bobbi Morse should be his real love lol

Old 04-30-2013, 10:38 AM   #91
Shazam
Side-Kick

Dont like this new hairdo. Bring back the Avengers look...

Old 04-30-2013, 12:00 PM   #92
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

How many would be ok with her being the secondary lead, or even co-lead?

Old 04-30-2013, 12:05 PM   #93
Kane52630
Terminated Glitch User

Old 04-30-2013, 12:35 PM   #94
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Stunt double?

Old 04-30-2013, 04:30 PM   #95
DJ Kornphlake
Side-Kick

I'm just going to pretend it's two Scarletts.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:55 PM   #96
Sneakronicity
Side-Kick

That would be an excellent way to put an end to the 'ship wars.

Old 04-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #97
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
How many would be ok with her being the secondary lead, or even co-lead?
I'd be great with it; hell, I'd be happy to see Widow get her own solo gig. But I'm not so sure that's the way it'll be billed; I mean, Falcon has definitely got to inherit sidekick ("I'm not a sidekick, dammit") honors....then there's Agent 13.....In the end, it'll probably be more like "Captain America and His Amazing Friends." Or "Captain America and His New Howling Commandos."

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
Old 04-30-2013, 10:11 PM   #98
DarthSkywalker
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
I'd be great with it; hell, I'd be happy to see Widow get her own solo gig. But I'm not so sure that's the way it'll be billed; I mean, Falcon has definitely got to inherit sidekick ("I'm not a sidekick, dammit") honors....then there's Agent 13.....In the end, it'll probably be more like "Captain America and His Amazing Friends." Or "Captain America and His New Howling Commandos."
I am not so sure how much Falcon there is really going to be. It is really early, but I am thinking it could be a little like Lethal Weapon 3. Cap could be the Riggs, Widow the Murtaugh, Falcon Leo, and Agent 13 the Cole. Not in terms of character of course, but in terms of screen time and importance to the story.

Personally I would love it, but that is just me. However, not so much on a solo film.

Last edited by DarthSkywalker; 04-30-2013 at 10:14 PM.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:56 PM   #99
BullMcGiveny
Side-Kick

I wouldn't like it.

I think Widow should have her own movie, but seeing as she isn't, I don't think she should share the lead. At most, I'd want her to be more or less equal to Sam and Sharon.

But it does look like she's the secondary lead.

Sam will likely have a prominent role, but much less than Widow. They might not even make him Steve's modern-day BFF, as they're bringing Bucky back so soon.

Sharon, I expect to be a little more than a random SHIELD agent, much closer to Maria in terms of focus and screentime than Natasha.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:04 AM   #100
Hawkingbird
I want to be Kate Bishop

Quote:
Originally Posted by psylockolussus View Post
LOL @ those manly legs!

I think that's called realism. If your job is being a secret agent, you're going to have strong legs...

Oh wait, I forgot THIS is what is in demand:

And I'm told there's not misogyny on these boards

Last edited by Hawkingbird; 05-01-2013 at 01:09 AM.
Closed Thread