The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Star Wars > Star Wars: Episode VII

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #626
Spideyfan93
Hayley Atwell I love you!

Default Re: General Star Wars Episode VII News/Speculation Thread - Part 2

Williams hopefully will deliver the goods for the third time around! Still optimistic for Giacchino to get a slice too!

VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Old 04-30-2013, 10:13 PM   #627
georgec
Not a hero

I think it would be cool if Williams worked with a younger composer and "passed the torch" throughout the course of the new trilogy. Obvious choice would be Giacchino but I would also vouch for John Powell, John Ottman, or Marco Beltrami.

A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat
around a young boy's shoulders to let him know the world hadn't ended.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:17 AM   #628
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
None of the big 3 have died in the EU. Although in the Legacy comics Luke appears as a Force Ghost to Cade, so we can assume he died at some point after the current post-NJO Lucasbooks stuff.
That's what I thought. Well George Lucas has always said that Star Wars was always intending to be more than a 6 part saga. So maybe he had ideas for how his heroes would die in the later movies and maybe he urged anyone writing the EU not to depict their deaths because he's saving their deaths for later. I've always been curious to why this part of their lives has never actually been touched. I guess that now that someone new is holding the torch, this story can finally come true and I welcome it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Superman View Post
I'd rather see Luke back then Han.
Quote:
Same here.
One of my big reservations about the news of new Star Wars movies set after ROTJ I heard back in October 2012 was the setting and timeline and the logistics of it all, like chances of retconning the EU, conflicting with established events, recasting, people's receptions of having the old gang back together etc.

To me if I was making new Star Wars movies I would've stayed away from the timeline any of the movies and would've set it either far in the past(KOTOR era/Old Republic era etc) or far in the future(Legacy era) and maybe literally go for what Joss Whedon was probably aiming for when he said "I wouldn’t go back, I’d go forward." It would've been cool to see a live action version of Cade Skywalker as well as only Luke back and taking on a mentor role like Obi-Wan/Yoda as a force ghost and be not too different of how they worked in Leonard Nimoy for the new Star Trek.

But if Michael Ardnt does a good job of doing a movie set in that specific era, I'd be ok with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spideyfan93 View Post
Williams hopefully will deliver the goods for the third time around! Still optimistic for Giacchino to get a slice too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgec View Post
I think it would be cool if Williams worked with a younger composer and "passed the torch" throughout the course of the new trilogy. Obvious choice would be Giacchino but I would also vouch for John Powell, John Ottman, or Marco Beltrami.

I feel the overall theme for this movie should be the great "Passing of the Torch" and not just for the characters but for the people involved in making this movie. For this movie, it will be a guarantee that new characters will be joining us in the form of the last remaining children of the Skywalker/Solo clan.
Like I speculated before I feel the movie should depict their deaths as

a) They're getting old and the actors probably don't have the years to be in this kind of role and Harrison Ford can finally have his wish of killing Han Solo.

b) Their deaths have never been depicted by any lore within the EU and I've always wondered why, and with these movies coming in 2015 it all makes sense. This kind of story is as "original" as they get without conflicting with any pre-established EU story. This would keep many fans happy. Seeing as there is a lot of room in the time space of 45 ABY-130+ABY you could still introduce new characters and make a great movie with new heroes in the form of Ben Skywalker and Jaina Solo

As for everyone working behind the movies, George Lucas is of course handing the movies and collective Star Wars lore down to Abrams and it's a given we'll see Abrams do wonders. As for John Williams as he doesn't have many years left, so Episode VII should be a final hurrah for him.

It should be a collaboration between Williams and Giacchino where both of them would be submitting their own things and Williams teaching everything about the music of Star Wars(and others) to Giacchino. The in further Episodes/Spin-off movies it should be Giacchino + any others who are worthy enough.

It is actually possible to create good Star Wars-esque music without John Williams' involvement. Just look as the music they made for the KOTOR/TOR/Other games. Like here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gh-dzEeg1a0 or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8pM2oBSbHA or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58TnI62dO6o or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Z0myGovPQ or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUUG7_2fkhY or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe4wzUYzmTA

Old 05-01-2013, 05:27 AM   #629
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallville fan View Post
That's what I thought. Well George Lucas has always said that Star Wars was always intending to be more than a 6 part saga. So maybe he had ideas for how his heroes would die in the later movies and maybe he urged anyone writing the EU not to depict their deaths because he's saving their deaths for later. I've always been curious to why this part of their lives has never actually been touched. I guess that now that someone new is holding the torch, this story can finally come true and I welcome it.
You're not too far off. When the NJO era was about to begin, they asked Lucas if they could kill off Luke in the book "Vector Prime", in order to inform readers that s**t was really going to hit the fan with the new villains. But Lucas basically told them to f**k off and gave the instruction that the big 3 and the droids were not to be touched. Hence Chewie getting the shaft.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:50 AM   #630
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
You're not too far off. When the NJO era was about to begin, they asked Lucas if they could kill off Luke in the book "Vector Prime", in order to inform readers that s**t was really going to hit the fan with the new villains. But Lucas basically told them to f**k off and gave the instruction that the big 3 and the droids were not to be touched. Hence Chewie getting the shaft.
WOW! I literally never knew that and just made an educated guess. Well it looks like I may end up being right after all and maybe if Luke and Co.'s deaths do happen in the sequel trilogy, I'll be happy knowing that I called it beforehand and I would have the bragging rights!

But yeah, if they are planning to head in that direction, having to break the news of Chewie's death to the mass of non-EU followers(ie the movie exclusive fans and general public) that Chewbacca's dead might cause some heart breaking and possibly hurt the movie.

I hope they give Luke a real warrior's death and maybe pay homage to Obi-Wan's death aboard the Death Star, giving a final nod to Jaina and Ben before dying by the new bad guy's hand, thus saving their lives and effectively "Passing the Torch" as the new heroes of the galaxy.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:55 AM   #631
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Well, expect the EU to be diregarded. I assume Chewie will be alive and well.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:04 AM   #632
iamlegend
Que es eso?

Quote:
Oh without a doubt. The EU didn't mean much of anything to Lucas himself, so there's no way it'll mean anything to Disney, who's remaking the brand as their own.

The only real question I have is whether or not the EU will continue as its own little continuity, or whether they'll "reboot" it.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:00 AM   #633
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

I'm guessing the latter.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:13 AM   #634
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
What if they don't disregard the EU?

Old 05-01-2013, 07:21 AM   #635
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Then you have the time period between "Legacy of the Force" and "Legacy" to cover. Which sounds pretty unexciting, tbh.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:42 AM   #636
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

Yeah, that 30 years worth of EU canon... probably gonna be completely gone with these films starting a new one.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:47 AM   #637
Doctor Jones
Known as Strider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidus View Post
Well Disney is doing a celebration of sorts for May the 4th, however if there is anything Episode VII related or not is unknown. My pessimistic side says probably not. But my optimistic side is thinking they will at least have a few small things to announce since this will be Disney's first May the 4th and they want to be good with the fans I'm sure.
I think it's unlikely too. As May the 4th seems mire fan based than anything. I don't really think Disney would shell out the bucks based on that.

But the wishful part of me would love a press conference with the official announcement of the return of the original cast.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:57 AM   #638
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

May the 4th has been big with StarWars.com and Lucasfilm in the past I will admit that, they usually would always do something to a point. But it's hard to say, really early, and I kinda don't think like you said they will shell out the big bucks for it, especially this early.

I hope I'm wrong and they do something lol.

My wishlist would be:

1. Official Release Date
2. Title of VII
3. Announcement of Original Cast (though it is clear they are in it)

2 of those are maybe (slightly slightly possible) The title reveal ya that probably won't be till next year.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:04 AM   #639
smallville fan
Hero

Quote:
Then you have the time period between "Legacy of the Force" and "Legacy" to cover. Which sounds pretty unexciting, tbh.
That was what I think they were aiming for. They probably didn't want to do too much with that era in time so they can freely make the movies.

Besides, I'm sure the respective deaths of Luke, Han and Leia are more than enough excitement.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #640
Solouk
Side-Kick

Quote:
May the 4th has been big with StarWars.com and Lucasfilm in the past I will admit that, they usually would always do something to a point. But it's hard to say, really early, and I kinda don't think like you said they will shell out the big bucks for it, especially this early.

I hope I'm wrong and they do something lol.

My wishlist would be:

1. Official Release Date
2. Title of VII

2 of those are maybe (slightly slightly possible) The title reveal ya that probably won't be till next year.
Maybe, just maybe, we might get all of the original cast there (including Ford) officially declaring they're back. As for anything else? Forget it. Too early. But, I could be wrong?

Old 05-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #641
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Quote:
My wishlist would be:

1. Official Release Date
2. Title of VII
I doubt they would release the title, but I could totally see them announcing the original cast is back on May 4th.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #642
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Oh ya that's why I said wishlist lol.

However the date should be announced soon. That is not unrealistic I believe.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:05 PM   #643
ThePhantasm
The Shadow Knows

Quote:
Oh ya that's why I said wishlist lol.

However the date should be announced soon. That is not unrealistic I believe.
I knew it was a wishlist. I wasn't arguing with you, just saying which of those wishes I thought might come true.

The date is also a possibility.

Im done. Im leaving this website. I promise i will not be spiderman or attempt to be. I have a ral careerr to fulfill. Please don NOT tell anyone about this. I would appreciate if you all kept this a secret.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #644
Octoberist
point blank

I think a release date is possible too.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #645
Solidus
Not a Jedi yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
I knew it was a wishlist. I wasn't arguing with you, just saying which of those wishes I thought might come true.

The date is also a possibility.
LOL I know you were not. I just re-stated it in case (more from some above) to make clear I am pessimistic about some things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoberist View Post
I think a release date is possible too.
Ya that would be great. Even though we know they are in it. It would be awesome for a official statement.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:45 PM   #646
NiteMare Shape
Livin' like a Sheen

Quote:
Besides, I'm sure the respective deaths of Luke, Han and Leia are more than enough excitement.
Well, that would just flat out suck.

Old 05-01-2013, 06:17 PM   #647
Victarion
Cut

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteMare Shape View Post
Well, that would just flat out suck.
Not if there is meaning behind them. I'd prefer that sort of "poetic element" versus repeating dialogue verbatim (ie "I have a bad feeling about this.") as a poetic element. Its very premature, but I hope Lucas does behind the scenes commentary on the new films; I've always enjoyed that aspect of the PT/OT blu-rays.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:49 AM   #648
Gianakin_
SW Prequels Defender

Quote:
That was what I think they were aiming for. They probably didn't want to do too much with that era in time so they can freely make the movies.
I wouldn't bet on it, though. Too much has happened in the EU that would tie Arndt's hands if they were to not disregard the post-RotJ era EU.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:11 AM   #649
Marvolo
Side-Kick

If anyone is expecting Abrams to kill one of the original trio in his film they are kidding themselves. It would be a big "**** you" to the young kids and the new fans who just got done watching han, luke, and leia kick the empire's ass and win in ROTJ. I mean what kind of way is that to start off a new star wars trilogy? There are much better ways to pass the torch than the lazy death of a beloved character for shock value.

Last edited by Marvolo; 05-02-2013 at 03:18 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:45 AM   #650
CGHulk
Green Guy

ILM considering to open shop in London!
http://www.thewrap.com/movies/articl...xclusive-88566

Quote:
As the studio prepares production for the first of the new "Star Wars" movies, special effects giant Industrial Light & Magic may open a facility in the United Kingdom to take advantage of foreign tax subsidies, the company told TheWrap on Tuesday.

Great. Now C-3PO won't be the only robot with an English accent.

Miles Perkins, head of corporate communications for ILM's parent company, Lucasfilm, said that the company is considering doing the effects work in London. "We're evaluating a number of different scenarios and doing our due diligence," he said.

The move could be significant, especially in the Bay Area, where ILM is based, though there's no word on how many area jobs might be affected. TheWrap reported the company has explored installing fiber optic cable so its team based at the company's headquarters in the Presidio of San Francisco can oversee work coming from the U.K.

"All that was great in the past, was ridiculed, condemned, combatted, suppressed." -Nikola Tesla

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” – Margaret Mead
Closed Thread