Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 10:44 AM   #76
Smallville13
Side-Kick

Default Re: Amy Adams is Lois Lane: - Part 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Don't these somewhat contradict each other in a sense?lol You don't trust the reviews completely but you'd feel much more at ease if the reviews were to say that someone else were the weakest link?lol Sorry, it's not that I'm making fun of you. I mean, I can understand entirely on the concern regarding on how this film is perceived, let alone the portrayal of these characters and such.

And no matter how much we care about the source material, I think I speak for some when I say that there's bound to be things from MOS that will irk people, regardless of how potentially great of a film it'll turn out to be since I don't think there's such a thing called "A perfect film".

Honestly, I'd wait until something much more trustworthy (someone or a site that's been known for being reliable and accurate with their news) actually says something before I raise up an eyebrow from anything that they say.
Yeah I get that. The best thing about the 'early reviews' is that they're all extremely positive. But it's not like the fact that a few of them mention something negative and we all have to completely disregard them as completely false. It's something to talk about anyway. I'm just preparing for whatever element of the film doesn't work.

Also the whole 'wait until you see the film', is kinda against the whole point of the SHH hype forums. We're all here to just speculate. Not all the hype leading up to the film is essentially positive.

That said one of the things I'm looking forward to most is Amy's Lois, as she's one of my favorite actors, and it's excellent casting if you ask me. I think she's going to kill it. I'm just pointing out that she's been singled out by a few 'reviews'. Whether they're true or not. It's something.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:05 PM   #77
Panthro
Catman Begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorDreamer View Post
It is terrible that they cast Kate Bosworth and Brandon Routh. There they werent doing an origin story, but a catch up, sequel type story. Set at least 7 years after Superman had first arrived. I mean why on earth did they cast them? Even having it in mind that they wanted sequels? To cast at least at 30 would still give a lot of time for the actors to look young even in 8 years as Amy Adams has proved. Maybe they were going cheap? :/

Although, in all fairness to Bosworth, she does act somewhat older than her age, in real life and when she played Lois, Amy acts a bit younger, although they both look a lot younger than their ages though.

I figure Singer hired Routh because he was trying to emulate the Donner formula right down to the casting of an unknown actor in his mid-20s in the lead role - even if that made no sense in regards to how old Superman was supposed to be in the story. As for hiring Bosworth, well, I have no answer for that. I can only imagine how Routh and Bosworth feel about being replaced by Cavill and Adams - both of whom seem prepped to make much stronger impressions than they did.

New 52 Flash SUCKS
Old 04-30-2013, 11:13 PM   #78
Manosman
Austinite

The only movie I've seen with Amy Adams that I didn't like her in was Cruel Intentions 2. So unless she is the Amy Adams of Cruel Intentions 2, I'll be good. She's charming.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:38 PM   #79
James Howlett
Newbie First Class

Amy Adams is a good actress but she looks too old opposite Henry Cavill. I hope their chemistry works out well. They could have cast a younger actress because unlike Superman Returns, this is only the first movie in the series (if any).

Old 05-01-2013, 01:47 PM   #80
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Howlett View Post
Amy Adams is a good actress but she looks too old opposite Henry Cavill. I hope their chemistry works out well. They could have cast a younger actress because unlike Superman Returns, this is only the first movie in the series (if any).

Oh god, here we go again.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:00 PM   #81
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Quote:

Old 05-01-2013, 02:10 PM   #82
DKDetective
"He'll be a god to them."

Nice gifs.

By the way, dude, if you sig is quoting the STID trailer, it should be "No ship should go down without her captain".

Old 05-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #83
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Honestly usually I am fine with people having differing opinions but not on this subject. I will always respond harshly but respectfully when people complain about Adams age. Because a film was just released in which a 50 year old actor had 31 and 33 year old actresses as his love interests. Cruise looks good for his age I suppose but he damn sure don't look like a 35 year old. Surely James was on the Oblivion thread complaining about that.

I have a question James, were you up in arms about Depp starting the Pirates franchise in his late 30's or RDJ starting the Iron Man franchise in his early 40's? Are you offended that Paltrow is 8 years younger than RDJ and playing his love interest? Are you offended that Andrew Garfield is more than 6 years older than the actress playing Mary Jane? Were you offended by the age difference between Anne Hathaway and Christain Bale in The Dark Knight Rises?

Last edited by I SEE SPIDEY; 05-01-2013 at 03:23 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #84
Andreth
Side-Kick

Everytime someone mentions the age issue I feel such strong rage and I feel so offended, and I'm not even 30!

So I'm gonna try to ignore it and I'll refrain from commenting on this subject, I'll leave other more coherent posters for it.

ETA:

^^
yeah, that's what I was talking about!

"A human with me at the end, and human tears. 2000 years and I can still be surprised. In this I see God."
TRUEBLOOD
Old 05-01-2013, 02:52 PM   #85
G.Godfrey
Darkseid's Elite

Quote:
Amy Adams is a good actress but she looks too old opposite Henry Cavill.
Amy in autumn of 2012, Henry in summer of 2012

I'm not sure who looks older than who...

Old 05-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #86
Sara72
Side-Kick

Gessh...theirs even an age difference between, Kevin Costner and Diane Lane..so what...

Old 05-01-2013, 03:33 PM   #87
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreth View Post
Everytime someone mentions the age issue I feel such strong rage and I feel so offended, and I'm not even 30!

So I'm gonna try to ignore it and I'll refrain from commenting on this subject, I'll leave other more coherent posters for it.

ETA:

^^
yeah, that's what I was talking about!
I hate, hate super duper freakin hate with a blinding white hot passion of a thousand ney a million suns when people bring up Adams age as a reason why she shouldn't be cast. It takes all of my power to just not verbally demolish the person who brought it up.

So I'm going to move on in order to keep my sanity...er what's left of it that is.

So I can't wait to see exactly how this film portrays Lois.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:38 PM   #88
Sawyer
We Are Human Resources

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Godfrey View Post
Amy in autumn of 2012, Henry in summer of 2012

I'm not sure who looks older than who...
God, that's a hot couple.

Heterosexual - A Person Sexually Attracted to the Opposite Sex
Homosexual - A Person Sexually Attracted to the Same Sex
Bisexual - A Person Sexually Attracted to Both Sexes
Hype-osexual - A Person More Sexually Excited By CBM Photos/Trailers Than Any Man or Woman Could Ever Hope To Make Them

Old 05-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #89
Jim-El
"My Son"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaooz View Post
Loving this so much, I may do the same....weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....

"The Kryptonian prophecy will be at last fulfilled. The son becomes the father, the father becomes the son. Farewell forever Kal-El. Remember me my son." - Jor-El/Marlon Brando/Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut
Old 05-01-2013, 03:47 PM   #90
Andreth
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by I SEE SPIDEY View Post
I hate, hate super duper freakin hate with a blinding white hot passion of a thousand ney a million suns when people bring up Adams age as a reason why she shouldn't be cast. It takes all of my power to just not verbally demolish the person who brought it up.

So I'm going to move on in order to keep my sanity...er what's left of it that is.

So I can't wait to see exactly how this film portrays Lois.
You and me both, sister!

And it's not because I'm an Amy Adams fangirl or anything like that, if she sucks at Lois I'll be the first in line to say it! but it's just plain horrible to witness that kind of mentality when it's a older woman next to a younger man, instead of the usual: old guy with young girl.

Here's Henry with grandma Amy

"A human with me at the end, and human tears. 2000 years and I can still be surprised. In this I see God."
TRUEBLOOD
Old 05-01-2013, 03:48 PM   #91
Sara72
Side-Kick

Those gifs are awesome

Old 05-01-2013, 03:53 PM   #92
MrMaooz
Positively Shocking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKDetective View Post
Nice gifs.

By the way, dude, if you sig is quoting the STID trailer, it should be "No ship should go down without her captain".
Fixed it.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:55 PM   #93
The Shield
It's really Happening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMaooz View Post

BWAAHHAHHAHAA!!!

All change is not growth, as all movement is not forward. ~Ellen Glasgow

Old 05-01-2013, 04:14 PM   #94
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreth View Post
You and me both, sister!

And it's not because I'm an Amy Adams fangirl or anything like that, if she sucks at Lois I'll be the first in line to say it! but it's just plain horrible to witness that kind of mentality when it's a older woman next to a younger man, instead of the usual: old guy with young girl.

Here's Henry with grandma Amy

The age difference doesn't even look as big as it is. And it isn't like she is 18 years older than him in the first place. They look just fine together.

And I am a fan of Adams and will be judging her performance just like everybody else's in the film.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.

Last edited by I SEE SPIDEY; 05-01-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:16 PM   #95
Audrey
Side-Kick

Quote:
Honestly usually I am fine with people having differing opinions but not on this subject. I will always respond harshly but respectfully when people complain about Adams age. Because a film was just released in which a 50 year old actor had 31 and 33 year old actresses as his love interests. Cruise looks good for his age I suppose but he damn sure don't look like a 35 year old. Surely James was on the Oblivion thread complaining about that.

I have a question James, were you up in arms about Depp starting the Pirates franchise in his late 30's or RDJ starting the Iron Man franchise in his early 40's? Are you offended that Paltrow is 8 years younger than RDJ and playing his love interest? Are you offended that Andrew Garfield is more than 6 years older than the actress playing Mary Jane? Were you offended by the age difference between Anne Hathaway and Christain Bale in The Dark Knight Rises?
I agree completely. The ageism and sexism (because yes, dudes...this is 100% linked to cultural SEXISM) is grotesque and no one should stand by and just chalk it up to "opinion."

Being ageist and sexist--which is exactly what this continued OBSESSION with this age difference is---is not something that can or should be excused as just being someone's opinion. It's WRONG. Really think about this: we live in a culture where ALOT of men AND women (because it's so sad that women have been brainwashed by this too) have grown up truly thinking that it's totally fine for a 48 year old actor to play Iron Man and have a love interest 8 years his junior but to OBSESS over the same damn age difference when the genders are reversed. We live in a culture where women over the age of 35 are REPEATEDLY cast out while we let men age and continue to grow and thrive.

BTW, Vulture wrote a very revealing article on this just last week. Read it and LITERALLY weep. This is pathetic.
http://www.vulture.com/2013/04/leadi...ests-dont.html

This is damaging s***. This is the kind of stuff that continues to treat women as worthless and deny them equality NOT just in the entertainment industry but in our larger cultural context. This stuff actually DOES matter. It is a big deal. It's not just a stupid movie. This is a real issue that affects real women. It affects their self-worth, their self-image and it has real, cultural consequences about gender and how we treat women.

Look, putting the age issue aside...I'm gonna be frank here.

The bottom line is that these "reviews" are you reading that target Amy, Lois and the love story are all part of the same predictable sexist BS.

Women are REPEATEDLY targeted in these franchises as being "weak links" and singled out as being "not right" while men obsess over the villains and the special effects and everything else 'male" about the film. The love stories in these franchises are REPEATEDLY targeted and dissected and picked apart in ways that the action scenes rarely if ever are. The women are held to higher standards and they are often treated very unfairly. Many other times, fanboys go into movies and come out ready and willing to throw the actress to the wolves because that's been the popular thing to do in fandom. It's not a "cool" thing for a guy to come out of a movie and praise an actress. It's much more popular to pretend like she's "just ok" and put her down.

Now, sometimes...the problem truly is that an actress struggles in a role. We saw that with Kate Bosworth in Superman Returns. But many times? It's that our culture is so biased and sexist that the women and love interests are TARGETED and held to ridiculously assanine standards.

Most of these "reviews" that rag on the love story read, to me, like fanboys who dont' want to act like they care about a love story in a superhero movie where there is stuff blowing up. Because it's not cool to do so. What's "cool" and "popular" right now is to blame the woman and single her out as the "weak link" and rag on the love story and hold it up to ridiculous standards. Calling a love story, "sappy?" Yeah, that's the same crap that the Lois/Clark romance gets from dudes in comic fandom who just can't stand it half the time that a love story IS such an important piece of a male driven story. It's very popular to pretend that you are "above" the romance and put it down. And again, it plays into sexism where that which is "female" in the movie that isn't specifically focused on being "hot" for the guys is downplayed and put down.

Every once a while you get a rare movie like Amazing Spider-Man where culture deems that it's ok to like the love story without picking it apart. That said, despite liking the romance in Amazing Spider-Man, I wrote an essay after I saw it that detailed AT LENGTH all the ways it wasn't developed and all the ways in which Gwen Stacy was portrayed as as lacking any real flaws or real people depth in the film. I had 2,000 reblog it within a day. Even in that movie where it was considered acceptable to say that the love story was good...trust me....it had actual problems. But really, even in that movie, the characters go from barely knowing each other to being madly in love in a matter of only a few scenes.

So instead of obsessing and focusing on these random fanboys who CONTINUE to repeat this obsession with singleing women out as the weak link of films and picking on love stories in these action movies and holding them up to ridiculous standards in a 2 hour film.....why don't we all take the time to actually think about this like ADULTS and be more aware of the very REAL biases and crap that these actresses go through on a daily basis just trying to do their jobs and how unfairly they are treated in comparison to the men and instead of continuing the cycle and being part of the problem learn how to be part of the solution.

Last edited by Audrey; 05-01-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:23 PM   #96
Audrey
Side-Kick

Quote:
They age difference doesn't even look as big as it is. And it isn't like she is 18 years older than him in the first place. The look just fine together.

And I am a fan of Adams and will be judging her performance just like everybody else's in the film.

Personally...I think Amy Adams looks younger next to Henry Cavill than Henry Cavill's actual girlfriend does. Both beautiful women. But if you asked me prior to knowing their ages who was younger...I would have guessed Amy was younger than Gina Carano and I would have been shocked if you told me otherwise. It doesn't matter either way to me because I don't care how old these women are. But if someone had asked me back in January...that would have been my answer.

Then again, I don't see threads where people are picking apart every wrinkle on Henry Cavill's forehead. Because yes, he HAS them. Cavill was a smoker for years. He has wrinkles. He also appears to have had someone fix his hairline for the Superman movie because he started to lose his hair as a young 20 something. Let me be clear: It doesn't matter at all. It doesn't detract from the man's talent or beauty. But it's just funny how culturally we allow men to have lines all over their face or start to lose their hair (because yes, we have plenty of bald male heartthrobs) and we will still swoon over them and view them as youthful and strapping and hot but when women get even the first signs of age? Forget it. She's olddddddd.

Erica Durance went through this same BS on Smallville. Erica and Tom Welling were the SAME AGE and yet people were RUTHLESS to Durance. Ruthless. Horrible, horrible stuff. Calling her horrific, nasty names. Disgusting behavior that I wish I hadn't witnessed. Meanwhile, Erica was and is one of the sweetest women you could have ever hoped to be playing Lois Lane. She LOVED Lois Lane. She LOVED Lois and Clark. She did a GREAT job with the role and she and Tom Welling had electric chemistry together. Yet, Erica was targeted and abused. Tom was 30 years old playing a 19 year old and people would drool over him. I drooled over him. He was stunning. But the disparity in the treatment was repulsive. And it had EVERYTHING to do with gender. A 30 year old guy playing a teen? Sure, you got the occasional jokes that Tom looked mature but it wasn't vicious. It wasn't MEAN. It didn't specifically target him in ways that were degrading and nasty. But cast a woman to play a character younger than herself? Forget it. Abuse. Pure abuse.

But I'll tell you what happened....women and men who refused to stand for that BS rose up around Durance. Fans fought back for her. The defended her. If people were vicious to her...we fought back. The misogyny in the Smallville fandom was rampant and awful and but alot of really smart, thoughtful people fought it. And, ultimately, it did make a difference. We didn't allow that kind of behavior to poison our fandom and we made sure to put people in their place who wanted to bring it into the conversation.

I'm willing to do it for another Lois Lane. I'm armed and ready with love.

Last edited by Audrey; 05-01-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #97
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey View Post
I agree completely. The ageism and sexism (because yes, dudes...this is 100% linked to cultural SEXISM) is grotesque and no one should stand by and just chalk it up to "opinion."

Being ageist and sexist--which is exactly what this continued OBSESSION with this age difference is---is not something that can or should be excused as just being someone's opinion. It's WRONG. Really think about this: we live in a culture where ALOT of men AND women (because it's so sad that women have been brainwashed by this too) have grown up truly thinking that it's totally fine for a 48 year old actor to play Iron Man and have a love interest 8 years his junior but to OBSESS over the same damn age difference when the genders are reversed. We live in a culture where women over the age of 35 are REPEATEDLY cast out while we let men age and continue to grow and thrive.

BTW, Vulture wrote a very revealing article on this just last week. Read it and LITERALLY weep. This is pathetic.
http://www.vulture.com/2013/04/leadi...ests-dont.html

This is damaging s***. This is the kind of stuff that continues to treat women as worthless and deny them equality NOT just in the entertainment industry but in our larger cultural context. This stuff actually DOES matter. It is a big deal. It's not just a stupid movie. This is a real issue that affects real women. It affects their self-worth, their self-image and it has real, cultural consequences about gender and how we treat women.

Look, putting the age issue aside...I'm gonna be frank here.

The bottom line is that these "reviews" are you reading that target Amy, Lois and the love story are all part of the same predictable sexist BS.

Women are REPEATEDLY targeted in these franchises as being "weak links" and singled out as being "not right" while men obsess over the villains and the special effects and everything else 'male" about the film. The love stories in these franchises are REPEATEDLY targeted and dissected and picked apart in ways that the action scenes rarely if ever are. The women are held to higher standards and they are often treated very unfairly. Many other times, fanboys go into movies and come out ready and willing to throw the actress to the wolves because that's been the popular thing to do in fandom. It's not a "cool" thing for a guy to come out of a movie and praise an actress. It's much more popular to pretend like she's "just ok" and put her down.

Now, sometimes...the problem truly is that an actress struggles in a role. We saw that with Kate Bosworth in Superman Returns. But many times? It's that our culture is so biased and sexist that the women and love interests are TARGETED and held to ridiculously assanine standards.

Most of these "reviews" that rag on the love story read, to me, like fanboys who dont' want to act like they care about a love story in a superhero movie where there is stuff blowing up. Because it's not cool to do so. What's "cool" and "popular" right now is to blame the woman and single her out as the "weak link" and rag on the love story and hold it up to ridiculous standards. Calling a love story, "sappy?" Yeah, that's the same crap that the Lois/Clark romance gets from dudes in comic fandom who just can't stand it half the time that a love story IS such an important piece of a male driven story. It's very popular to pretend that you are "above" the romance and put it down. And again, it plays into sexism where that which is "female" in the movie that isn't specifically focused on being "hot" for the guys is downplayed and put down.

Every once a while you get a rare movie like Amazing Spider-Man where culture deems that it's ok to like the love story without picking it apart. That said, despite liking the romance in Amazing Spider-Man, I wrote an essay after I saw it that detailed AT LENGTH all the ways it wasn't developed and all the ways in which Gwen Stacy was portrayed as as lacking any real flaws or real people depth in the film. I had 2,000 reblog it within a day. Even in that movie where it was considered acceptable to say that the love story was good...trust me....it had problems.

So instead of obsessing and focusing on these random fanboys who CONTINUE to repeat this obsession with singleing women out as the weak link of films and picking on love stories in these action movies and holding them up to ridiculous standards in a 2 hour film.....why don't we all take the time to actually think about this like ADULTS and be more aware of the very REAL biases and crap that these actresses go through on a daily basis just trying to do their jobs and how unfairly they are treated in comparison to the men and instead of continuing the cycle and being part of the problem learn how to be part of the solution.

Just a thought.
Bravo. I am just speechless as to how amazing this post is. And for the record I personally thought that Routh was almost as bad as Bosworth. I know that isn't a popular opinion but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #98
Jim-El
"My Son"

Quote:
And for the record I personally thought that Routh was almost as bad as Bosworth. I know that isn't a popular opinion but I just thought I'd throw it out there.

"The Kryptonian prophecy will be at last fulfilled. The son becomes the father, the father becomes the son. Farewell forever Kal-El. Remember me my son." - Jor-El/Marlon Brando/Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut
Old 05-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #99
Human Torch
OK,who brought the dog?

For crying out loud,are people still bringing up Amy's age?If she's an old lady,sign me up for the Old Folks Home.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #100
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Are we going into this again?..

There's nothing wrong with Amy Adams. She's a real woman, she's beautiful, and the fact that she's older than Cavill does nothing but reinforce her beauty. They seem to have a great chemistry on screen, and she's a wonderful actress. I think she'll do the role justice and most people will be pleased.

Ladies, I know some of you get offended easily by such things and I can understand that, but seriously, it's not worth it. Just as in any racist, sexist, ageist or whateverist comment, there's nothing wrong with being white, black, male, female or whatever. At least as long as they don't make unappropriate decisions like casting a male actor as Lois Lane.

But seriously, it's not worth it.

"Films are worth seeing period, even the bad ones." - Blue Sugar
Closed Thread