Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 08:52 AM   #26
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Default Re: Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
Wow I must be the only one that found the samples to be totally incredible. I can tell there's a beast of a soundtrack behind those (for me at least). At least that's the feeling I'm getting based on how much I'm loving what I'm hearing.

It's a mixture of Zimmer/Howards work in Batman Begin mixed with Zimmer's work in Inception.
Nope, certainly not the only one.

I really can't wait to hear more. I'm definitely excited about it from what I heard. To me it sounds similar to some of Zimmer's work for Inception indeed, but also similar to Blade Runner/Mass Effect, and a little bit of Gladiator.

And I love your avatar by the way.

"Films are worth seeing period, even the bad ones." - Blue Sugar
Old 05-01-2013, 09:08 AM   #27
sej
New User - Level 0

In my opinion the samples have potential and at this stage this is absolutely good enough for me.

Also it's seems that some people here have never listened to 30sec sample clips on amazon before. Never judge a track or a score on those 30 sec samples! Because for whatever reason they often don't contain the best parts. They are not Highlights of the score!

To give you some examples "imagine the fire". For me as heard on the samples bottom of the list, full track top or near top of the list. The reason is that the part that I love the most (min 4-5) is not on the samples. Or how about "Like A Dog Chasing Cars" or " Introduce A Little Anarchy". I love the melody starting at 2.11 and 1.05 respectively (I'm probably not the only one). It's completely missing on the samples.

In short nobody should jump to conclusion based on those samples because I can guarantee you that we haven't heard the best parts yet.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:46 AM   #28
moviefreak
Side-Kick

I don't know if this was posted before, but the synth sounds in the trailer #3 music are not synth but rather 8 pedal steel guitars. At first I thought that I was hearing synth, but apparently not. Zimmer also employed 15 drummers. Heconfirmed it on his forum post at:

http://www.vi-control.net/forum/view...695752#3695752

Quote:
The music is actually from the score. A little bit recut - the tune is actually a bit longer in it's development. What you think of as synth sounds are 8 pedal steel guitars. Best organic pad sound yet The perc is the session I did at WB and Fox with 15 drummers:
JR Robinson
Jason Bonham
Josh Freese
Pharrell Williams
Danny Carey
Satnam Ramgotra
Toss Panos
Jim Keltner
Curt Bisquera
Trevor Lawrence Jr
Matt Chamberlain
Ryeland Allison
Sheila E
Bernie Dresel
Vinnie Colaiuta
with the amazing JunkieXL conducting (There is something to be said to get a drummer who is a star of EDM and knows how to get a crowd of twohundred thousand people dancing at his shows to liontame and energise this lot!)
But of course the real plus is the lack of sound effects...which gets us back to that other thread about dubbing music loudly
I'm glad you liked it!
-Hz-

Old 05-01-2013, 10:04 AM   #29
ModusPonens
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviefreak View Post
I don't know if this was posted before, but the synth sounds in the trailer #3 music are not synth but rather 8 pedal steel guitars. At first I thought that I was hearing synth, but apparently not. Zimmer also employed 15 drummers. Heconfirmed it on his forum post at:

http://www.vi-control.net/forum/view...695752#3695752
Awesome!

I also found this post:

Quote:
Actually, very little synth - Moog here, a Zebra there...but the electronic sounds are eight pedal steel guitars joined by some titanium sculptures Chas Smith build for us. Bass pedal steel's where all strings are tuned to unison playing the bottom "A" on the piano. I wanted to keep it homemade, not electronic. Upright piano, nothing fancy.
But you will be able to download an app that lets you hear it all in DTS Headphone-x, which is full surround and height on your headphones by modeling my ears and how the score sounds through them with me sitting in my chair.
Always pushing the technology....
And there might be a few other nice things on there....
The cello is Ann-Marie Calhoun on her Stradivarius...
Source.

The Cello is a STRADIVARIUS. Damn, they really pulled out all the stops for the score!

Old 05-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #30
Mikelus
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post
No not the only one. I also found it to be sublime...or has the potential to be from what I heard. I think some people should maybe try and get out of the mindset that soundtracks all need some sort of hook or theme. I think i read one critique about the samples that stated that the score sounds like "background music"...isn't that what a score is supposed to do? supplement the scenes, that's the priority i would think, not be primarily great music for you to listen to on it's own.
Agreed, and it seems most people like the score so far, it fits the movie's tone perfectly. Williams' score is great, but is not the right one for MOS.

Old 05-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #31
moviedoors
Side-Kick

After another listen, I'm loving this stuff. I said months and months ago that I wanted to hear something synthy and alien as part of the sound and by George there it is.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #32
gomez147
You're not just anyone

I love the parts of the score we've heard... A bit alienish but also heroic, I think Zimmer is going to amaze us!

Old 05-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #33
DIRECTOR
Side-Kick

That YouTube video seems to have only 12 samples, thirty seconds per sample, and the video is six minutes long. Am I missing something. There is eighteen songs, does that YouTube video have all the samples?

Old 05-01-2013, 08:50 PM   #34
ModusPonens
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRECTOR View Post
That YouTube video seems to have only 12 samples, thirty seconds per sample, and the video is six minutes long. Am I missing something. There is eighteen songs, does that YouTube video have all the samples?
12 samples X half a minute per sample = 6 minutes

It doesn't have all the samples.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:23 PM   #35
DarthSkywalker
We Are Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigdbfan View Post
Wow I must be the only one that found the samples to be totally incredible. I can tell there's a beast of a soundtrack behind those (for me at least). At least that's the feeling I'm getting based on how much I'm loving what I'm hearing.

It's a mixture of Zimmer/Howards work in Batman Begin mixed with Zimmer's work in Inception.
No, I am right there with you. It sound amazing. So good my brother stopped after the first few tracks. Doesn't want to spoil it before the full release.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:58 PM   #36
Simo
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRECTOR View Post
Not all the samples were made available on Amazon at the time.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:05 PM   #37
Solidus
The Force Awakens

I just ordered the collectors edition of the soundtrack. Sounds good to me.

Old 05-02-2013, 03:05 AM   #38
AnneFan
Hathaway #1

When Cavill-Supe gets out of bed and reads the paper 'Oil Rig' plays. Imagine what plays when he saves the world.

Rio 2 - Song One - Interstellar - The Intern - The Lifeboat - Get Happy - Alice 2
Old 05-02-2013, 12:31 PM   #39
LoserJBo
Side-Kick

Yes the Man of Steel Experience app is finally out for iOS. Music sounds awesome in better quality from the youtube video. Wish I knew how to rip it, but if anybody else knows how that would be awesome.

Also the music on the Man of Steel Kellogg's app sounds official too, but the same theme looped over and over again.

Old 05-03-2013, 03:45 PM   #40
Glassjaw
In training

Have we seen this before? Just found it on the Amazon listing

Old 05-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #41
batman44
Go Speed GO

Nice!

<< Romans 1:16 >> For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:44 PM   #42
Zorex
No T, No Shade

Awesome little pack. Really looking forward to seeing if that Surround Sound download is worth it.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:09 PM   #43
Megalith
Banned User

...did the onset photographer for this film take only five shots? We're seeing the same damn photos on anything related to this film.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:24 PM   #44
Transcended
Gunning for Metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorex View Post
Awesome little pack. Really looking forward to seeing if that Surround Sound download is worth it.
Dude, the Surround Sound DL sells me on the Deluxe more than anything – my husband has slaved over a really fantastic SS setup at our place. Excited.

Old 05-03-2013, 09:58 PM   #45
shauner111
Side-Kick

Those samples are INCREDIBLE. My god, this score is going to blow my mind. Zimmer always gives me chills.

Old 05-04-2013, 12:05 AM   #46
Kryptonian Warrior
We are Hunter Rider

Considering it's only $18, I would say it's definitely worth it! Man, I can't wait to hear it on my system at home!

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/col...n.php?u=230251
Old 05-04-2013, 04:09 AM   #47
Rust
First Son Of Yesterday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simo View Post
Thanx man.

I like the samples as well. How on earth can you judge a 60-minute score from 6 minutes? Jeez, some people...

Old 05-04-2013, 05:30 AM   #48
craigdbfan
El Psy Congroo
SHH! Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianakin_ View Post
You most certainly are not alone. It's just that the ones who were underwhelmed are more vocal.
Sure seems like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkboy View Post
No not the only one. I also found it to be sublime...or has the potential to be from what I heard. I think some people should maybe try and get out of the mindset that soundtracks all need some sort of hook or theme. I think i read one critique about the samples that stated that the score sounds like "background music"...isn't that what a score is supposed to do? supplement the scenes, that's the priority i would think, not be primarily great music for you to listen to on it's own.
Well said Sharkboy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norek View Post
Nope, certainly not the only one.

I really can't wait to hear more. I'm definitely excited about it from what I heard. To me it sounds similar to some of Zimmer's work for Inception indeed, but also similar to Blade Runner/Mass Effect, and a little bit of Gladiator.

And I love your avatar by the way.
Word. I definitely hear those in there too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSkywalker View Post
No, I am right there with you. It sound amazing. So good my brother stopped after the first few tracks. Doesn't want to spoil it before the full release.
Right on man. I found it to have presence if that makes any sense.

For every man there is a cause which he would proudly die for. Defend the right to have a place for which he can belong to...and every man will fight with his bare hands in desperation...and shed his blood to stem the flood to barricade invasion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arata 新 View Post
I don't like how USA portray Godzilla. Godzilla is a good man and kind man. Why can't Americans see this?
Monica Bellucci for Hippolyta in SvB
Old 05-04-2013, 10:00 AM   #49
sonnyleesmith
Side-Kick

I don't know. It's really hard to judge a body of work based on samples, but in my opinion, it misses the mark. This could be slapped onto any generic superhero film and it wouldn't stand out. Superman's sound should inspire and stir hope in the hearts of the oppressed. To me this sounds recycled or the remnants of the TDKR soundtrack.

Old 05-04-2013, 10:08 AM   #50
TheFlamingCoco
Side-Kick

^ It sounds very little like the TDK music. I'm VERY critical of Zimmer, and I think MOS is gonna be pleasant to listen to.

Closed Thread