Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > The Avengers > The Avengers Sequels

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 09:36 AM   #951
Zarex
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Avengers 2! The Official News and Speculation Thread - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
There've been several suggestions to make Wanda & Pietro Inhumans, and I'm now starting to lean in that direction.

In fact, I'm wondering now if Avengers 2 is going to have the Avengers actually *face off* against the Inhumans. Yeah, I know the Inhumans are heroes instead of villains, but sometimes heroes fight heroes, and it heightens the drama and even creates a sense of tragedy.

I just remember that Inhumans was officially on Marvel Studios' slate several years ago, but seems to have fallen into development hell. Maybe the plan is to have them be the Avengers' enemy (again, not a villainous enemy) in TA2? I like the idea of the Inhumans hiding in plain sight on Earth for thousands of years, and now recent cosmic events in the MCU (as unfolding in TA1, GOTG, and Thor/TDW) have caused them to come out of hiding....and now the Avengers face an extremely powerful superteam, and ultimately, by the end of TA2, they recognize them as fellow heroes. The emergence of the Inhumans presages vast cosmic threats such as the coming of Thanos, and interstellar war between the Kree and --- well, everyone else in the universe.
Having watched the season finale of the excellent new FX show "The Americans" last night, I love the ideal of the Inhumans "hiding in plain sight" living amongst us waiting to be activated (by Thanos?) for battle. I think a big reason the Inhumans never caught on in the comics as well as the X-Men - and Xavier's team required the mid 70's international reboot - was that Black Bolt and company were completely separated from the day to day goings on of the Marvel Universe. Having them presented as an extended family living quiet lives in suburbia could position them as a worthy successor to FOX's fading X-Men franchise. Though the half-ton dog is going to be tough to explain.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:56 AM   #952
Rock Sexton
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarex View Post
Having watched the season finale of the excellent new FX show "The Americans" last night, I love the ideal of the Inhumans "hiding in plain sight" living amongst us waiting to be activated (by Thanos?) for battle. I think a big reason the Inhumans never caught on in the comics as well as the X-Men - and Xavier's team required the mid 70's international reboot - was that Black Bolt and company were completely separated from the day to day goings on of the Marvel Universe. Having them presented as an extended family living quiet lives in suburbia could position them as a worthy successor to FOX's fading X-Men franchise. Though the half-ton dog is going to be tough to explain.
At what point though does it get old for Thanos NOT to be doing his own dirty work?

Personally I find the whole Quicksilver thing cheesy because of his parallel to DC's Flash. I'd prefer to not see him on film.

Last edited by Rock Sexton; 05-02-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:15 AM   #953
Orphix
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
Personally I find the whole Quicksilver thing cheesy because of his parallel to DC's Flash. I'd prefer to not see him on film.
To be fair, character-wise, he is very different. The powers maybe similar but Quicksilver is totally different to The Flash and pretty much anyone else in the MCU so far.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:17 AM   #954
Zarex
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Sexton View Post
At what point though does it get old for Thanos NOT to be doing his own dirty work?
By the third act of the sequel.

Quote:
They have very different personalities. And a number of speedsters have already been presented on the big screen - Dash in The Incredibles, Callisto in X-3 and Speed in Sky High. Quicksilver's appearance shouldn't have any impact on a future Flash film.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #955
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

I'm 'meh' on Quicksilver showing up in Avengers 2, but am glad they're using Scarlet Witch, as she was part of the Avengers lineup that I was first exposed to courtesy of some hard-bound graphic novels that were part of the library collection at one of the elementary schools I attended. Pym (as Giant-Man) and Wasp were also part of that group, but I don't think it's a good idea to swell the ranks of the team TOO much in one movie because, as good as Joss is at working with big ensembles, there's still the risk that things could get away from him and certain characters will get sort of unintentionally 'shoved aside' if there's too big of an ensemble.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:14 PM   #956
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

I guess my question about SW and QS is, are they mutants? If so are they going to aknowledge the larger Marvel universe?

I understand that Marvel has a lot more open rules about cross pollination between these franchises. For example Mark Webb tweeted a photo on set of TASM 2 showing a motor cycle with the Stark Industries logo.

Are they going to acknowledge that SW and QS are children of Magneto, or a powerful mutant or something?

Old 05-02-2013, 12:31 PM   #957
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
I guess my question about SW and QS is, are they mutants? If so are they going to aknowledge the larger Marvel universe?

I understand that Marvel has a lot more open rules about cross pollination between these franchises. For example Mark Webb tweeted a photo on set of TASM 2 showing a motor cycle with the Stark Industries logo.

Are they going to acknowledge that SW and QS are children of Magneto, or a powerful mutant or something?
Pretty sure they won't be acknowledging the Magneto link or the fact that they are mutants in the way that the X-Men are from everything I've read. Maybe in the future but not for this upcoming film and until anything further is sorted out between the 2 studios. As it stands I have no problem with that. Leave it open and it can be covered (or not covered) at some future time.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #958
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

^ The term "mutant" is exclusively the purview of FOX's licensing rights for the X-Men, so, no, Pietro and Wanda cannot be referred to as mutants in The Avengers 2, nor can they be identified as being the children of Magneto, as the rights to that character remain exclusively licensed to FOX as well.

Regarding that motorcycle pic, it was not posted by Webb; it was sent to IO9 by someone who was near the TASM2 set, and it was seemingly confirmed as having nothing whatsoever to do with the filming of the movie.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #959
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orphix View Post
To be fair, character-wise, he is very different. The powers maybe similar but Quicksilver is totally different to The Flash and pretty much anyone else in the MCU so far.
Yeah, people keep saying he's a dick as if it's something negative. I see it as he's a dick and that's what's great about him as a character amongst all these major heroes. Not every superhero has to be a heroic type Captain America/Thor or anti hero Iron Man/Hulk/Black Widow/Hawkeye/Fury. Some can just not care too much about stuff and be a bit selfish.. and need a kick up the ass before they do what they know is actually right.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:50 PM   #960
Blitzkrieg Bop
Boy named Sue

With Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver's addition to the MCU, it feels like **** just got real. Avengers vs. X-Men in Phase 3?

Old 05-02-2013, 12:53 PM   #961
ctsketch
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Bop View Post
With Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver's addition to the MCU, it feels like **** just got real. Avengers vs. X-Men in Phase 3?
Fox...

Old 05-02-2013, 12:54 PM   #962
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
Or Avengers plus X-Men plus the rest of the MU Vs everything else.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #963
Blitzkrieg Bop
Boy named Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
Fox...
I know, but you can't tell me that the Marvel fanboys-in-charge, Feige and Whedon, aren't playfully tossing the idea back in forth like two geeks in a comic book store after securing a place in the Avengers lineup for Magneto's kids. It's not impossible for Disney to make some sort of deal with Fox. They just bought Star Wars, so it leaves me with an impression they're out to get what they want and go big.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #964
Iceman
Sir Hunter Rider

Quote:
I know, but you can't tell me that the Marvel fanboys-in-charge, Feige and Whedon, aren't playfully tossing the idea back in forth like two geeks in a comic book store after securing a place in the Avengers lineup for Magneto's kids. It's not impossible for Disney to make some sort of deal with Fox. They just bought Star Wars, so it leaves me with an impression they're out to get what they want and go big.
If X-Men starts doing massive box office also (maybe from DOFP onwards), an Avengers-X-Men film would be as safe as a new Star Wars film. It would not take much for a deal to happen then if both parties wanted it. If I was Disney/Marvel I'd offer Fox a cut for doing nothing just to be able to make that film. A zero risk return which would boost the future of the X-Men films and add significant franchise value to Fox, again for doing nothing and taking no risk.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #965
DigificWriter
Side-Kick

Disney bought Star Wars and Lucasfilm because George offered the property and company to them. He approached them, not the other way around. The only way Marvel is going to be able to add the X-Men to the MCU is if FOX approaches them with the possibility of doing so, and there's 'no chance in hell' of that actually happening.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:34 PM   #966
BoredGuy
Killing Time

I don't think it's a big deal to say SW and Quicksilver were just born that way, by this point the GA shouldn't have a problem with it
no need to mention Magneto, or mutants... it's kind of an easter egg for us comic fans

I'm excited to see them. Quicksilver will be the first speedster in a big budget superhero flick (plus, yes, he's a douche, so he could play off the others well), and I'm interested to see how they visualize Wanda's powers on film. It can easily look cheesy if not done well. I hope there's a pink aura to everything like in the books

one more note, I brought this up over on the Thor boards

What do y'all think of Uatu showing up?
Marvel loves to throw him in all their big world shattering events
I think he could be a perfect opening Narrator for Avengers 2, ala Stark in IM3 from what I hear

Old 05-02-2013, 02:38 PM   #967
pr0xyt0xin
Shaper Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredGuy View Post
I don't think it's a big deal to say SW and Quicksilver were just born that way
no need to mention Magneto, or mutants... it's kind of an easter egg for us comic fans

I'm excited to see them. Quicksilver will be the first speedster in a big budget superhero flick (plus, yes, he's a douche, so he could play off the others well), and I'm interested to see how they visualize Wanda's powers on film. It can easily look cheesy if not done well. I hope there's a pink aura to everything like in the books

one more note, I brought this up over on the Thor boards

What do y'all think of Uatu showing up?
Marvel loves to throw him in all their big world shattering events
I think he could be a perfect opening Narrator for Avengers 2, ala Stark in IM3 from what I hear
I know I've said it before... but I do think its a big deal.

There's not a single character in the MCU so far that hasn't had an extensive, well thought out, scientifically explained origin so far. Not a single one.

I personally don't want them to change that. But that's just me.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #968
Whiskey Tango
Side-Kick

Quote:
'no chance in hell'
Says the fellow on the internet who doesn't work at Fox.

Look I don't think it'll happen either but people need to stop tossing around phrases like "It'll never happen" and 'licensing rights' as if they're experts on contracts they've never seen and/or have some kind of special insight into the workings of the studios.

resounding through the mountains
and off into the empty sky.
- Ryōkan

2007-2008 SHH Pro Football Pick 'Em Champion
Old 05-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #969
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

Yeah but my point is that Marvel has already approached Sony about cross pollinating the movies. For example Disney is allowing the Stark Logo to be used in TASM, and likely Stark Tower will appear in the skyline of NYC in TASM2 as they had planned to do with TASM.

I'm sure that Disney is approaching the same thing with Fox. They can cross promote the movies and it's a win-win for both studios.

These things can be worked out, but there has to be an agreement.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #970
Endeavor
Que bolá con el timbeque?

Disney should just buy FOX already and get this whole mess over with.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:45 PM   #971
BoredGuy
Killing Time

yeah but they glossed over Hulk's origin in Avengers, and there was certainly nobody complaining about that

at most, all I think they have to say is maybe like "due to the Red Skull's use of the Cosmic Cube, some children have been born with powers."

If they spend a half hour coming up with some convoluted origin for them, I'll be very disappointed

plus, no reason to completely eliminate any possibility of Fox coming to their senses and allowing a connection

Old 05-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #972
Tony Stark
Armored Avenger!

BTW, mods can we get an official Avengers 2 section made?

Old 05-02-2013, 02:46 PM   #973
OB12
Side-Kick

Quote:
Says the fellow on the internet who doesn't work at Fox.

Look I don't think it'll happen either but people need to stop tossing around phrases like "It'll never happen" and 'licensing rights' as if they're experts on contracts they've never seen and/or have some kind of special insight into the workings of the studios.
Thank you. People on here speak with way too much certainty regarding such things. I don't know how many times I've heard someone say that Marvel and Sony will never team up. I don't know if they will or not, but it really doesn't sound that implausible to me and if there is money to be made on a deal, I'd bet they find a way to make it work.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #974
Endeavor
Que bolá con el timbeque?

Hulk had 2 movies prior to Avengers, so it's not a valid comparison.

I hope they don't come up with another weird explanation. They should be mutants, its just that the word 'mutant' and 'Magneto' should never be used when speaking about them.
They can call them freaks of nature or whatever, but it should be stated they were born different. Except for Wanda, where they can focus on the magical aspect of her history if they want.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:57 PM   #975
Crimson King
Superhero Novelista

With Mark Millar now heading up the Fox version of the Marvel universe, I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility that they'd work something out to tie the movies together.