Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Old 05-03-2013, 11:16 AM   #101
Son of Coul
Not 100% A Dick

Default Re: Guy Pearce is Aldrich Killian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight08 View Post
I certainly hope not.
Same, he's the first villain that made me feel like MoE could work. Red Skull led Hydra but it was because he was a megalomaniac who basically started a cult. Mandarin is smarter than that, and can likely unionize and manipulate other villains, such as Abomination, into a functioning group without letting ego get too in the way.

Son of Coul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #102
The Caped Knight
Shield Avenger

The story depicts Killian as the phantom menace

The Caped Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:44 PM   #103
souNdwAve89
Side-Kick

Guy Pierece was great in this movie. I find him to be the best villain out of the Iron Man movies so far.

souNdwAve89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:07 PM   #104
I SEE SPIDEY
HYPE AWARD WINNER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by souNdwAve89 View Post
Guy Pierece was great in this movie. I find him to be the best villain out of the Iron Man movies so far.
Same.

...It's Batman and Superman, lets just be honest, I don't know how you get bigger than that--Zack Snyder.
I SEE SPIDEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #105
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by souNdwAve89 View Post
I agree, which isn't saying much because the other villains from this series were pretty weak. Stane was good, but ultimately nothing more than a hero-fights-his-mentor story that we've seen dozens of times before. Plus, the Iron Man vs. Iron Monger fight was one of the worst ending action sequences of all the Marvel movies. Same goes for the final action sequence in IM2.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:21 PM   #106
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

I disagree completely. To me, Stane is still the best Iron Man villain in the franchise.

"Films are worth seeing period, even the bad ones." - Blue Sugar
Norek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:23 PM   #107
JerseyJoker
Side-Kick

Stane is still the best villain in the franchise, but Killian is right up there as a close second. Both Pearce and Bridges knew exactly what type of movie it was and had fun with their roles, and it shows off big time in both characters.

The Jersey Critic (Latest Review: The Wolverine!)

Visit. Enjoy. Comment.
JerseyJoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:25 PM   #108
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norek View Post
I disagree completely. To me, Stane is still the best Iron Man villain in the franchise.
For me, the biggest attraction to Stane is that he was played by Jeff Bridges. That guy could've starred in Beverly Hills Chihuahua and the film would've been elevated to new heights. But overall, the hero/villain dynamic in the first IM was pretty standard.

To me, Stane was way more fun to watch when he wasn't Iron Monger.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:28 PM   #109
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norek View Post
Seconded. Stane was just more intimidating, played with more class, and his story of being the inner threat, the snake in the grass who you thought was one of Tony's closest friends who turned out to be his worst enemy, was much more compelling than Vanko's or Killian's stories.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #110
theShape
Creature of Darkness

Vanko was just a waste. Had great potential, but ultimately, IM2 was too much of a mess to use him properly. And again, there was a final fight sequence (against another villain in a bigger suit) that lasted all of 30 seconds. Shame.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:45 AM   #111
DaddlerTheDalek
Starship Captain

Guy Pearce was Brilliant in this. He was a really Scary Villain.

DaddlerTheDalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:19 AM   #112
divan
Side-Kick

The Mandarin was less memorable than Stane in my opinion, but again in my opinion he was a more interesting character. And by The Mandarin I'm not refering to Ben Kingsley. I'm not entirely refering to Guy Pearce either. I'm talking about both.

When you think about it, Ben Kingsley's The Mandarin (as in, the fictional character of the videos, not Trevor Slattery) is Aldrich Killian's crysalide much like the Iron Man Armor is Tony Stark's. Both characters show conflicts between the 'Armor personalities' and the 'naked ones'.

The (fake) Mandarin should be considered part of Killian's character. One way or the other, Aldrich created it. It's a non-subtle Supervillain and 'the face of terror' what he had in mind, contrary to his 'naked' persona who still prefered to hide in the shadows much like in he did in Bern all those years ago. Was said creation a parody of Supervillains? Maybe, but I think that him yelling 'I am the Mandarin' was him accepting the fact that he wants to be a non-subtle Supervillain, that he's tired of hiding in the shadows and wants to be the face of terror.

This parallels Stark's journey during the film in which he doesn't know if he's the 'Armored identity' or the 'naked' one (much like Killian, Stark thinks he depends on his 'armor').

In the end both armors are scrapped but both characters accept said part of their identities as part of themselves. Killian loses the face but he's still The Mandarin. Stark loses his toys but he'll always be Iron Man.

divan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #113
KangConquers
Purple Kang, Purple Kang

Quote:
Originally Posted by divan View Post
The Mandarin was less memorable than Stane in my opinion, but again in my opinion he was a more interesting character. And by The Mandarin I'm not refering to Ben Kingsley. I'm not entirely refering to Guy Pearce either. I'm talking about both.

When you think about it, Ben Kingsley's The Mandarin (as in, the fictional character of the videos, not Trevor Slattery) is Aldrich Killian's crysalide much like the Iron Man Armor is Tony Stark's. Both characters show conflicts between the 'Armor personalities' and the 'naked ones'.

The (fake) Mandarin should be considered part of Killian's character. One way or the other, Aldrich created it. It's a non-subtle Supervillain and 'the face of terror' what he had in mind, contrary to his 'naked' persona who still prefered to hide in the shadows much like in he did in Bern all those years ago. Was said creation a parody of Supervillains? Maybe, but I think that him yelling 'I am the Mandarin' was him accepting the fact that he wants to be a non-subtle Supervillain, that he's tired of hiding in the shadows and wants to be the face of terror.

This parallels Stark's journey during the film in which he doesn't know if he's the 'Armored identity' or the 'naked' one (much like Killian, Stark thinks he depends on his 'armor').

In the end both armors are scrapped but both characters accept said part of their identities as part of themselves. Killian loses the face but he's still The Mandarin. Stark loses his toys but he'll always be Iron Man.
Great post.

2015: Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man
2016: Captain America 3, Doctor Strange
2017: Thor 3, Guardians of the Galaxy 2, Inhumans
2018: Avengers 3, Black Panther, Incredible Hulk 2
2019: Iron Man 4, Doctor Strange 2, Ms. Marvel
KangConquers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:08 AM   #114
metaphysician
Side-Kick

Quote:

Okay, this logic makes me hope that Killian *did* survive, and comes back to lead the Masters of Evil in Avengers 2. . .

metaphysician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:11 AM   #115
jacobed
Banned User

I thought the character of Killian was awful and the attempt to make him "The Mandarin" was downright laughable. But I love seeing my man Pearce in movies so I celebrate anytime he is in a role

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:00 PM   #116
JerseyJoker
Side-Kick

They didn't make Killian "The Mandarin", he screamed he was "The Mandarin" because he was the man behind the terror...not the man himself.

Visit. Enjoy. Comment.
Old 05-04-2013, 11:32 PM   #117
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Caped Knight View Post
The story depicts Killian as the phantom menace

Pretty much, yeah. But Palpatine concocted phantom villains for the Republic to chase after in order to divert them from his rise to political power; Killian creates his patsy just to divert attention away from his Extremis research "setbacks."

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:52 PM   #118
Flemm
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Okay, this logic makes me hope that Killian *did* survive, and comes back to lead the Masters of Evil in Avengers 2. . .
It wouldn't surprise me if he returned. Probably not as the leader, but as part of the villain combo for Avengers 2? Yeah, it could happen.

Might even have some magic rings. It seems like the evil genius behind all this likes to dole out the alien hardware (see Loki in Avengers).

Flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 12:14 AM   #119
milost
Banned User

Quote:
The Mandarin was less memorable than Stane in my opinion

I liked Obi maybe even more than Mandarin and Killian, but I don't think he's more memorable than Mandarin or Trevor, certainly not in the long run.

People can say what they will about the twist whether they liked it or not, but this whole deal with Mandarin will never be forgotten. It seems to be infamous. This is a first for a comic book movie. There's never been anything like this before.

And Ben Kingsley's performance in either role is simply unforgettable.

Last edited by milost; 05-05-2013 at 12:19 AM.
milost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #120
Iron_Madrigal
Banned User

Okay, so is the fire breathing like a "steam release" so he doesn't overheat?

BTW, I thought it was awesome when he did that. There were some gasps from the audience during that part, like "wtf?".

Iron_Madrigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:28 PM   #121
JerseyJoker
Side-Kick

I love how Guy Pearce plays a various versions of Killian.

You get:

1) The nerdy/awkward
2) Suave
3) Evil Genius
4) Insane

versions of one man through the film. Obviously Pearce is having a ball with the roll, cause he got to play it in so many different fields.

Visit. Enjoy. Comment.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:31 PM   #122
Son of Coul
Not 100% A Dick

Yeah, and he never went over-the-top with any of them. In the hands of a lesser actor, any one of those could've been awful and/or cheesy.

Son of Coul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #123
Iron_Madrigal
Banned User

I actually felt really bad for him in the 1999 scene and was kinda' glad he cured himself and probably got laid by a lot of chicks after that.

Iron_Madrigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:04 PM   #124
ThatDamnNinja
Side-Kick

Got just back from seeing the movie, and I was left with one major question: what, exactly, is Killian's connection to the Ten Rings, the terrorist organization that kidnapped Tony in the first film? The Mandarin broadcasts very clearly use a "ten rings" symbol. Was Killian co-opting the symbol of the organization and hoping no one would notice, was Killian involved in Tony's kidnapping in the first film, or did he become involved with the Ten Rings somehow at some point between 2008 and 2012?

ThatDamnNinja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #125
Parker Wayne
Classic Spider-Bat

I honestly don't know. I think they hinted at it, but they never really outwardly mention it.

Anyway, I really hope Killian isn't dead. He could be the Norman Osborn of the MCU if he isn't.

Parker Wayne will destroy us all as the Light beckons us to his unearthly call. Like a drop of cool condensation cascading down the side of a glass on a hot summer's day, we too will evaporate into The Void.
Parker Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote