The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Superman > Man of Steel

Old 10-23-2012, 12:12 AM   #76
StarvingArtist
Side-Kick

Default Re: Is Superman A Jesus Metaphor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Cenobite View Post
Why? It's a metaphor, it's not like they literally changed his name to Jesus and turned Krypton into Heaven. I never understood why this sticks in people's craws so much.
I just don't like it when filmmakers, writers, artists make it preachy. Like in Superman Returns. That movie just bothers the **** out of me.

Last edited by StarvingArtist; 10-23-2012 at 01:09 AM.
StarvingArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:47 PM   #77
storyteller
Side-Kick

I think it's hard to avoid it. He's a god like figure who is on the level. He doesn't want anything except peace,girlfriend, and a 9 to 5 job.

Its time to be a man..................and run away.
storyteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #78
That person
Bull Moose

As a Christian, it's hard for me not to draw parallels between the two. The idea of this immensely powerful being being sent to live among us, choosing to live as one of us, participating in our nature, and using his great abilities selflessly to help us is pretty Christ-like, and those are just things that are intrinsic to the character. Does this mean they should draw these elements out? Maybe, if it helps tell the story. SR tried to draw out Superman as a Christ figure, but never seemed entirely clear about just how he was one and opted for teh symbolismz!, which worked out pretty disappointingly. That doesn't mean it can't be used more effectively, and I'd be delighted to see that happen, but it's not really necessary.

"Theodore Roosevelt, Jr., nicknamed "Teddy" or "TR", was born October 27, 1858 in New York City. As a young child, he was often sick and was stricken with asthma. Viewing this as a challenge, he proceeded to beat his asthma to death."- Cracked
That person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:07 PM   #79
Happy Jack
Iconographer

I'm not sure that they can remove the Christian symbolism. Superman is without a doubt the most Christ-like of all superheroes and the ways in which he is; being in a god-like position of power, having a powerful father who sends him to earth to protect it (also not unlike Moses), even the smaller things like him being raised by humble people and living a mundane life until well into adulthood. All of these things are intrinsic to Clark Kent/Superman and you cannot remove them. It doesn't mean that you should add things to make it more overt like Superman making a crucifix pose or dying and being resurrected. But the very nature of the story is going to have some Christian parallels; that's just the way it is.

Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Happy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:27 PM   #80
Lencho01
Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

I really don't see how it's hard to avoid turning him into some Jesus metaphor.

I was at some diplomatic party once. Got to talking to this princess who told me that when it came to Superman, I was missing the point. She told me, "His real strength lay in his generous spirit and sense of what's fair." - King Faraday

"Self Portrait" By Batman
Lencho01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:30 AM   #81
LeXcalibur
Lord Luthor

i don't mind the metaphor when done subtle. i think superman returns may have went over the top, and in the most recent man of steel trailer the scene looks like it was directed by bryan singer

Old 11-28-2013, 03:01 AM   #82
alexpeebles1987
New User - Level 0

Awesome Re: Is Superman A Jesus Metaphor?

I have heard this before and I wonder about it myself because seems like it is the case. The makers were Jewish so it very well could be that they incorporated it without even knowing it due to their culture and upbringing.

It is also expected that people would see Superman as Moses because Moses is in fact a shadow of Jesus, which is why his story fits so well. But When looking at MoS it is seems like the directors were definitely aiming for a Christ Metaphor(and just in case, for anyone wondering, Jesus Christ is not a first and last name, Christ is the greek word for messiah), specifically the scene where he is in a Christ suffering pose when exiting Zod's ship above Earth's orbit going to rescue Lois Lane.

Now, with any metaphor, you are going to have some failures to match up. Superman just isn't quite Jesus, it's to be expected. Superman was created by man, and Man created God. It only makes sense that we couldn't do better or even match up.

So, I would say that there are a lot of things that just match up too well for Superman to not be a metaphor for Jesus. I mean the S means savior right? A sign of Hope? (just kidding, I know it isn't really an S guys.... or so they say)

alexpeebles1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 05:27 AM   #83
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeXcalibur View Post
i don't mind the metaphor when done subtle. i think superman returns may have went over the top, and in the most recent man of steel trailer the scene looks like it was directed by bryan singer
Superman allowing the Military to hand him over to the Krytonians was a parallel to Jesus allowing the Pharisees to hand him over to the Romans. That was a nice subtle parallel that didn't come off as preachy. Unlike the "You can save them all" floaty Jesus arm moment.

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 11-28-2013 at 06:01 AM.
Smashlilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 05:35 AM   #84
charl_huntress
The Offender

He can be and a lot of that is plays into the mythos in general, but I'm more with Starving on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarvingArtist View Post
I just don't like it when filmmakers, writers, artists make it preachy. Like in Superman Returns. That movie just bothers the **** out of me.

Old 11-28-2013, 05:59 AM   #85
hopefuldreamer
I will find him!

I wonder what Jesus would have done in the situation they put Superman in at the end of MOS...

Now there is a debate!

hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 06:10 AM   #86
Smashlilman
Ouch!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
I wonder what Jesus would have done in the situation they put Superman in at the end of MOS...

Now there is a debate!
Read the end of the Book of Revelation. Jesus is suppose to kill a lot of people. I mean Jesus himself.

Loki: i have an army
Tony Stark: we have a hulk!
VIDEO-CLick to Watch!:

Last edited by Smashlilman; 11-28-2013 at 07:43 AM.
Smashlilman is offline   Reply With Quote