The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Games > Misc. and Multiplatform Games

Old 05-01-2013, 09:19 PM   #126
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

Default Re: Fuse

Gah, for the last time, they didn't 'get rid of anything'. They've said countless times that at the time of that trailer, they didn't even know what the game was going to look like but the tone and humour of that trailer is still intact throughout the story. They always intended for it to me more adult. I believe the thing they've cited most often for tone is 'Firefly'. I hate how this weird fan outrage that has flooded just about every single youtube video for this game seems to purport they've been let down by Insomniac Games... This better not turn into another DmC.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:59 PM   #127
Nathan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvieboy17 View Post
Gah, for the last time, they didn't 'get rid of anything'. They've said countless times that at the time of that trailer, they didn't even know what the game was going to look like but the tone and humour of that trailer is still intact throughout the story.
Then maybe it's time to show off what got people interested in the first place. They are not doing a good job so far of convincing anyone that the tone and humor of the Trailer is still intact. Not that they actually could. Because the tone and humor has changed. While Overstrike was more silly comical, Fuse's humor will be more dry, dark and sarcastic.

Quote:
They always intended for it to me more adult. I believe the thing they've cited most often for tone is 'Firefly'.
Well, I never watched Firefly, so I can't really comment on that. I don't mind adult games, I play my fair share. But we have so many of them, I was looking forward to something different. Overstrike/Fuse, could have been a great blend of Ratchet & Clank humor, and well, adult violence.

So they weren't entirely sure of the direction when they released the Trailer. It's just a shame they decided to go into a more safe, generic path.

Quote:
I hate how this weird fan outrage that has flooded just about every single youtube video for this game seems to purport they've been let down by Insomniac Games... This better not turn into another DmC.
Are we still blaming fans for that failure?

Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:11 PM   #128
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

I'm not blaming fans for the failure of DmC, I think that was a cocktail of things that went wrong for an otherwise fun and enjoyable game. My concern is that fanboy practice of demonising a game before it's come out simply because it's not what they thought it was going to be.

You read all those YouTube comments and you'd think Insomniac had chucked a Gearbox and shown like 20 demos of a completely different game then pulled a switcharoo.

And mainly, you NEED to watch Firefly :P It's the perfect tone. It's not gritty and serious, it's fun and light but it commits to it's world and it's characters. It doesn't take itself too seriously but when something big happens like a character dies or tragedy occurs, the world and characters are fleshed out so organically it feels real rather than hammy or dramatic. That, as a tone, is perfect for a game.

There's a 30 minute level demo floating around on Youtube that definitely has be pumped for this game. It looks like it's basically the gameplay/character diversity of Borderlands but with the character personality/story commitment of an Uncharted type game. This isn't Army of Two, where a character is just a walking vehicle of destruction and excuse for fist bumping.

My favourite part from the original trailer was when Dalton shoots that guy then looks at it and goes "Ugh". That style of humour, dark but silly, still seems very intact. The style of humour that ISN'T there is that scene where Jacob is just yelling uncontrollably. To me, that's not a bad thing either. What that trailer should have sold people on, more than anything, was the characters since thats what the whole focus was on. There was no gameplay or real plot, it was the characters. And for anyone actually tracking this game, those characters are still interesting, they're just deeper and more fleshed out now.

And I do not think it's fair to call it a safe, generic path. A new IP that's 4 player co-op isn't safe by any means from a business standpoint. In fact, for a game being published by EA that DOESN'T have competitive multiplayer or a franchise history behind it, I don't think it's generic at all. In fact, it's a great blend of genres.

Old 05-03-2013, 02:09 PM   #129
zenith16
Side-Kick

ok the demo's coming next week so some people will know how they feel about this game when it's in their hands. But just remember especially of late, Most Demo's have not always been Representative of the final product. we saw this King domes of Amular and Deus EX Human Revolution and few others of late that fallowed that pattern, but they were all also different studio's and some what new at the time too. Just saying. But we'll see how this does.

source:GI

Last edited by zenith16; 05-03-2013 at 02:12 PM.
zenith16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:08 PM   #130
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith16
ok the demo's coming next week so some people will know how they feel about this game when it's in their hands. But just remember especially of late, Most Demo's have not always been Representative of the final product. we saw this King domes of Amular and Deus EX Human Revolution and few others of late that fallowed that pattern, but they were all also different studio's and some what new at the time too. Just saying. But we'll see how this does.
I do not understand your point at all... You're warning people, in the event they enjoy the demo, that the game might still be crap? Isnt that implied and assumed for every game?

Old 05-04-2013, 05:40 AM   #131
zenith16
Side-Kick

I was warning them that while the beta may be bad, but the actually full game may be better then that beta will ever be. which both Deus Ex :HR and KOA: R were way better then their beta's ever presented them to be , which I stated often since those events even in those threads them selves as a few others. while I was vague with it in this in a way. I do remember saying those titles turned out better then their demo's in those threads. I'm not sure how you made it out to be what you said ,when you've seen me say other wise with those other threads with their demo's. oh well. I'll be more clear next time.

Last edited by zenith16; 05-04-2013 at 05:49 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:52 AM   #132
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

Well the way you worded it was so ambiguous, it could be interpreted either way.

I don't have an archived memory of all your opinions of every game you've ever expressed interest in, Zenith.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:58 AM   #133
zenith16
Side-Kick

nore do I expect you to. But I did say I would give this chance and I also did say I don't dog pile on things or people while others do ether. I may show disappointment but I don't join in on that and wasn't finding a way to dump on this game.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:02 PM   #134
Nathan

So, looks like the Demo will be out today. I'll give it a try. Let's see if I enjoy it, or if I'll shut off my console as quickly as I did, when I tried the DmC demo.

Old 05-07-2013, 02:36 PM   #135
jacobed
Banned User

DmC was an absolutely phenomenal game

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #136
Nathan

That may very well be. But the aesthetic, characters and established world were a complete turn off for me.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #137
zenith16
Side-Kick

Here's what GI put up

source:GI

Old 05-07-2013, 06:38 PM   #138
jacobed
Banned User

eh, thought the demo was alright. Nothing more, had some fun ideas in there and with friends this could be fun. The humor was pretty good

Old 05-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #139
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

I had a lot of fun with that demo. Played with friends and enjoyed it. The demo doesn't really go into story which I liked, I'm keen to be surprised by that. But I enjoyed the way the characters casually interact. Like Gears of War, 4 fixed characters opens it up to good narrative potential.

As for the gameplay, found the movement and combat really easy and enjoyable. Meleeing enemies was a huge highlight for me. The only real disappointment for me was finding out that we had limited ammo for our Fuse weapons. I think some kind of recharge ammo system would have been better than needing to pick up more ammo for it, but using the other weapons was already fun anyway, so it's not a HUGE biggie. You just learn early on to use it wisely and to maximise the effect.

I for one am really looking forward to delving into a good co-op game. Gears Judgement and Army of Two were massive disappointments, it'd be nice in a year of so many co-op games, for this new IP to be the best one.

Which character did people enjoy? I tried them all out but kept going back to Dalton. Jacob's magmabolt thing was pretty beast too.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #140
jacobed
Banned User

I just used the character with the crossbow. That thing destroyed

Old 05-08-2013, 12:28 PM   #141
Nathan

I need to find some people to try the Demo with. Alone it was an eh experience.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #142
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
I need to find some people to try the Demo with. Alone it was an eh experience.
Assuming its not region locked (lol), I'm down to play tonight, if you are online

Havok83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:38 PM   #143
zenith16
Side-Kick

this is from last night while I was on marvel heroes beta.

Insomniac CEO Ted Price On What Is Missing In Third Person Shooters. May 7, 2013 . 5:48pm

“There are a lot of shooters out there, aren’t there? And third person shooters have been multiplying over the years, and have perhaps taken the crown from [FPS]. But for us, what’s been missing a real dedication towards creating an amazing cooperative experience.

source:Siliconera

Old 05-08-2013, 07:30 PM   #144
Nathan

Ok, having now played with 2 other people, it was definitely a better experience. Didn't realize at first that my character had some kind of healing beacon. I don't know if it was due to lag, but the controls, the movement, didn't feel real tight. There's some fun to be had, but it hasn't convinced me yet to get it.

What's you impression Havok?

Old 05-08-2013, 07:32 PM   #145
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Ok, having now played with 2 other people, it was definitely a better experience. Didn't realize at first that my character had some kind of healing beacon. I don't know if it was due to lag, but the controls, the movement, didn't feel real tight. There's some fun to be had, but it hasn't convinced me yet to get it.

What's you impression Havok?
It was kinda meh to me. Definetly not Insomniac's best work as I preferred Resistance and Ratchet. Also wasn't impressed by the graphics. The mechanics seem fine enough but I don't see myself having a whole lot of fun if I had to play this myself. It seems heavily centered around co-op which Im not as keen on as other gamers are.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #146
Nathan

You definitely need some people to play this with. When I played it the first time by myself, I was pretty much indifferent about it. The AI also seems to be the exact opposite of the Raccoon City AI. While in Raccoon City your teammates often moved forward, and also often got killed in the process, the Overstrike team often remained in cover and didn't move forward once. Not even to get a better angle to shoot the enemy.

As for the graphics, I didn't want to say anything, but for 2013, they are really not all that impressive anymore.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:53 PM   #147
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

But that AI is good... If you're meant to be able to leap into any character at any time, the last thing you want is to leap from danger only to be standing right in enemy fire. The AI plays conservatively until you need help, then I found there was always someone there to revive me.

And I still thought the graphics were good. They weren't Crysis 3 but they weren't Star Trek or Dead Island: Riptide. I particularly liked the character models. I like that it's sort of realistic but still quite comic booky and striking.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:14 AM   #148
Nathan

Well, it's a game I'd probably never play alone. I like an AI that doesn't immediately run into danger, but I'd also like them to be competent enough to at least keep up with me. Not stay behind while I fight on the front lines. And yes, I know I can switch characters on the fly, but it would probably get annoying real to constantly switch between 4 characters and move them forward.

And don't take this as me hating on the game and trying to take cheap shots at it, but I found this comment and just had to laugh.

Quote:
Gears of Mass Effect: Drake's Deception, aka Demographic Focus Group: The Game, aka EA Wars: Revenge of the Meh

Last edited by Nathan; 05-09-2013 at 01:29 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:03 AM   #149
Wolvieboy17
Believe it!

I don't get those comments from people...

First of all, Mass Effect, Gears of War and Uncharted are all great but different games, so a game that manages to unite those concepts isn't really a bad thing...

But secondly, where the hell did the Uncharted thing come from? I've seen a bunch of people saying that... So nowadays, any game that involves climbing is simply an uncharted clone? Would people prefer mashing X to open doors?

The game is fun, it handles well and it's shaping up to be the best co-op shooter of the year (perhaps only rivaled by Dead Space 3).

@Nathan, I never had any problems with the AI. I played it first with one other friend and any time we switched characters, we were never sent to the back of the battlfield or anything. In fact, anytime I HAD to go anywhere, the AI was usually waiting for me when I got there.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:42 AM   #150
Havok83
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolvieboy17 View Post
And I still thought the graphics were good. They weren't Crysis 3 but they weren't Star Trek or Dead Island: Riptide. I particularly liked the character models. I like that it's sort of realistic but still quite comic booky and striking.
Its a step down from seeing what they were able to do with Resistance 3. Maybe its bc this is a demo or bc they went MP and couldn't fully optimize it for the PS3's hardware, but the downgrade in visual quality is very noticeable