Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 04:54 AM   #76
divan
Side-Kick

Default Re: Official Iron Man 3 rate/review thread. - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam_H View Post
Isn't a big plot of the movie him thinking he has to amass an army of suits because he's afraid of whats out there?
No. The armors are a 'distraction' he uses to cope with the fear he got after the events of Marvel's the Avengers. The suits themselves were constructed for protection, but that was not their main purpouse.

Old 05-04-2013, 04:58 AM   #77
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by divan View Post
No. The armors are a 'distraction' he uses to cope with the fear he got after the events of Marvel's the Avengers. The suits themselves were constructed for protection, but that was not their main purpouse.
But that's what I'm getting at. The events made him uneasy of what's out there, adding some defense to his house would be a reaction to that.

Spill

Old 05-04-2013, 05:00 AM   #78
Rock Sexton
Go get me a Juicebox!

"Don't shoot! I don't even want to work here anymore, these guys are weird". ROTFLMAO. I think that line alone was worth the price of admission.

At any rate, I'd give it an 8.5. I thought it possessed a lot of charm/wit and contrary to what previous reviewers have said, balanced well some more serious tones with the comedy you'd expect. The stakes were no doubt very high in this one, at least to me. It just had a whole different vibe and look to it than the previous installments. Definitely beautiful to just sit back and look at. I thought Starks scenes with the kid Harley were fantastic and I really loved the way they integrated Starks post-Avengers anxiety problem. I thought perhaps they'd shoehorn it in during just a single scene, but it was actually a theme throughout most of the movie.

The CGI was as good as it gets, the action was plentiful, and I thought Rhodey was much better in this even though there wasn't much of him in his IP suit. That's actually kind of a good thing though. Killian made a formidable foe, unlike Whiplash and Stane before him. The Avengers references were great. Was curious how they'd go about it.

For a non-comic book fan the plot twist is fine, but if they hadn't gone with that there was potential for Kinglsey's Mandarin to become something really special based on the movie's early goings. For anyone who knows the real Mandarin, this movie craps all over it and I can understand them being pissed though. I felt like the Extremis soldiers suffered the same fate as the Chitauri in The Avengers. They became fight fodder in the movie's 3rd act. Not to mention it was never quite clear what could actually terminate one. Seemed to be inconsistent. I wasn't as wowed by the final showdown as some people on here and felt Pepper's involvement was slightly corny given how all of the sudden she becomes a fighting machine.

At any rate ..... a solid entry in the Phase 2 library. I liked it better than the previous two. For me it captured some of the charm that existed with the action movies of late 80's and early 90's movies, which Shane Black is no stranger to having written for the Lethal Weapon installments. BTW, did anyone notice how much shooting, blood, and death via regular people in this?

In regards to the "SHIELD" topic, I felt like there was a point in the movie where the inherent explanation was acceptable. With Happy in a coma, it made the whole thing very personal and Tony's ego took over, inviting a battle with the Mandarin. Where it gets flimsy is the fact that he gets Rhodey involved. With the time it took to get him on the horn, he could've definitely gotten somebody like Fury and SHIELD. Obviously after what we saw in The Avengers, Stark doesn't trust Fury so maybe that plays a role in it ..... but still it's a shakey subject so far in the post-Avengers world. I mean we know in the movie that SHIELD had Mandarin on the radar based on JARVIS's intercepts.

My Official "X-Men: DOFP" Review - http://forums.superherohype.com/show...&postcount=909

Last edited by Rock Sexton; 05-04-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:01 AM   #79
divan
Side-Kick

Quote:
But that's what I'm getting at. The events made him uneasy of what's out there, adding some defense to his house would be a reaction to that.
True. Though I suppose he never thought he would eer give his home adress on TV, or that his suit was enough protection. We see him going everywhere on an IM suit though, there's a scene at the beginning were he goes to a restaurant with the Mark VII. I think Stark didn't really expect The Mandarin to blow up his house either, the element of surprise was his downfall.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:03 AM   #80
Ita-KalEl
Side-Kick

It's a good movie, I give it a 7+ but I felt a bit disappointed at the end. I fear that the director Shane Blak wanted to follow a sort of "Nolan approach" to the movie. But this is not Batman and mainly he is not Nolan.
I hope for a return of Jon Favreau behind the camera in Iron Man 4.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:07 AM   #81
nogster
Side-Kick

Robert Downey jr's witty and charismaticTony Stark is always a blast to watch and this is no exception. The supporting cast is also solid and there is some well staged action set pieces, but unlike the first Iron Man, this film fails to keep the character and the world grounded in something resembling reality. There are some scenes that defy reason and it all gets quite silly and over the top. There is a significant twist that is bound to piss off Iron Man fanboys [although it is pretty cool even though it wastes the potential of a major character in Iron Man's lore.] and I kept wondering where is Captain America in all this? I mean the U.S is being directly threatened and Cap is not even mentioned. pfft.

Entertaining but dissapointing at the same time.

2.5 out of 5.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:18 AM   #82
Spuzz
The Spuzziest of Spuzzes

I gotta say after seeing it again I may have been denial a bit about being okay with some of the film's choices...the fact I'm not certain one way or the other how I feel is not a good sign. It's just a very very strange superhero movie...and not 100 percent in a good way...

Old 05-04-2013, 05:21 AM   #83
Merlo
Banned User

Man this movie has so much comedy packed in it that I can't even figure out how much of it takes it's self seriously.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:22 AM   #84
RetrogradeOrbit
My own Dark Passenger

I thought we were going to get a fairly serious tone with this third instalment. Especially with how the trailers were setting things up.

I am all for plot twists but ones that make sense and don’t make you feel as if you have wasted your time and money.

I shall give a “for instance”
How many people remember seeing “The Sixth Sense” for the first time and being blown away by the revelation that Bruce Willis`s character had been one of the dead people all the time?
This I thought, was fantastic, the montage of flashbacks show that there were no tricks. Bruce had no interaction or dialogue in the entire movie with anyone except Haley Joel Osment`s character. It was just done in a clever way.
We as an audience just filled in the blanks when we saw Bruce sitting with others.

That is the difference between IM3 and The Sixth Sense, one twist was stupid, the other clever.

I got thrown out of a window! What's the f***ing charge for getting pushed out of a moving car, huh? Jaywalking?

My father gave me one piece of advice. He said "Always. .." No, he said "Never..." well actually he gave me two pieces of advice, I've forgotten the other one. But the important one is, "Never chase a man over a cliff".
Old 05-04-2013, 05:24 AM   #85
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ita-KalEl View Post
It's a good movie, I give it a 7+ but I felt a bit disappointed at the end. I fear that the director Shane Blak wanted to follow a sort of "Nolan approach" to the movie. But this is not Batman and mainly he is not Nolan.
I hope for a return of Jon Favreau behind the camera in Iron Man 4.

Nolan's twist in TDKR fell just as flat.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:32 AM   #86
Ita-KalEl
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
Nolan's twist in TDKR fell just as flat.
Maybe, but when the TDKR's ending credit started almost all the theatre was crying and clapping. When IM3 credit started I heard a "meh" quite everywhere around me.

Nevertheless, please I don't want to start a stupid "IM3 Vs" debate. The movie is good, but, in my opinion, it is not a superhero movie
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
The only good action scenes are when you think that it is Iron Man and not a remoted controlled robot. It is not a case if everyone who watches the movie two times, says that the second viewing is far worse. Then I really did not like the fact that all the armors seemed made by coke's cans. IM was able to fight for some minutes with Thor and then he has to change an armor per minute fighting the first crappy metahuman...
It remembered me a sci-fi version of "The Saint" with Val Kilmer.

Last edited by Ita-KalEl; 05-04-2013 at 05:48 AM.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:34 AM   #87
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

TDKR's twist depends entirely on how closely you followed the production. If you were paying attention and knew about the pictures of Cotillard dressed in clothes similar to Neeson's, then you had a pretty good idea that something was up. If you weren't aware of this, and especially if you've never picked up a comic book or heard of Talia Al Ghul, then it was surprising. Some random dude sitting near me let out a pretty loud gasp as soon as the twist happened. Totally caught him off guard.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:35 AM   #88
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ita-KalEl View Post
Maybe, but when the TDKR's ending credit started almost the theatre was crying and clapping. When IM3 credit started I heard a "meh" quite everywhere around me.

Nevertheless, please I don't want to star a "IM3 Vs" debate. The movie is good, but it was not a superhero movie. It remembere me a sci-fi version of "The Saint" with Val Kilmer.
That's not a knock on Nolan, the only time I've seen this type of bait and switch work was the Usual Suspects. For me the twist in US enhanced the entire in IM3 the twist left me angry, genuinely angry.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:40 AM   #89
Liam_H
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfirebird2008 View Post
TDKR's twist depends entirely on how closely you followed the production. If you were paying attention and knew about the pictures of Cotillard dressed in clothes similar to Neeson's, then you had a pretty good idea that something was up. If you weren't aware of this, and especially if you've never picked up a comic book or heard of Talia Al Ghul, then it was surprising. Some random dude sitting near me let out a pretty loud gasp as soon as the twist happened. Totally caught him off guard.
But it still felt pretty hollow if you don't buy the 'relationship' they developed earlier in the movie.

Spill

Old 05-04-2013, 05:41 AM   #90
redfirebird2008
Side-Kick

Quote:
But it still felt pretty hollow if you don't buy the 'relationship' they developed earlier in the movie.
Oh I completely agree with that. The relationship wasn't developed worth a hoot.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:44 AM   #91
BigThor
so....am I Big Drax now?

I just saw the film last night with my 10 year old nephew and we both loved it!

You know what, I just might give it a 9 out of 10 and I'll post my full review tommorrow.

Captain America - Because I can hear it.
Spider-Man - Hear what?
Captain America - ....thunder
*cue Thor's grand entrance*
Old 05-04-2013, 05:49 AM   #92
kosh33
MCU Fanatic

[QUOTE=Ita-KalEl;25760339]Maybe, but when the TDKR's ending credit started almost all the theatre was crying and clapping.

Maybe they were happy that they didnt have to see anymore movies in that series, especially since the last one just kept dragging on and on and on...

Old 05-04-2013, 05:50 AM   #93
Mjölnir
Blunt instrument

Quote:
Yes, I think that twist just amounted to breaking down what they had built up and replace it with nothing. A bit exaggerated but I didn't get anything positive from it. Everyone will of course have different opinions on it but I still doubt that was the reason why Black put a twist in IM3.

Old 05-04-2013, 05:55 AM   #94
jmc
callin' it like I see it

The IM3 script would have been in the can well before Rises came out I believe.

Fanboys make excuses, real fans acknowledge screw-ups.

Do me a favour - don't break up my posts into multiple quotes when replying, I won't answer back.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:07 AM   #95
protoctista
Side-Kick

Love the movie.

But my favourite part of this movie is seeing so many of the critical comments in this thread highlight EXACTLY what this film was trying to achieve.

Quote:
I think that twist just amounted to breaking down what they had built up and replace it with nothing.
Quote:
in IM3 the twist left me angry, genuinely angry.
Quote:
I thought we were going to get a fairly serious tone with this third instalment. Especially with how the trailers were setting things up.
Quote:
The movie is good, but, in my opinion, it is not a superhero movie
Quote:
Man this movie has so much comedy packed in it that I can't even figure out how much of it takes it's self seriously.

The genre politics of this film are sensational. It's so much smarter than superhero movie fans want their movies to be. It dismantles the propaganda and artifice of that audience-product relationship, as much as it dismantles the various themes it tackles (particularly, villainy - media and the US paradigm - terrorism(s) - popular/marketed warfare).

It's enjoyable whilst punishing you for enjoying it.

I can't think of a more apt way to follow up the Avengers.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:36 AM   #96
antonydelfini
The Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by protoctista View Post
Love the movie.

But my favourite part of this movie is seeing so many of the critical comments in this thread highlight EXACTLY what this film was trying to achieve.

The genre politics of this film are sensational. It's so much smarter than superhero movie fans want their movies to be. It dismantles the propaganda and artifice of that audience-product relationship, as much as it dismantles the various themes it tackles (particularly, villainy - media and the US paradigm - terrorism(s) - popular/marketed warfare).

It's enjoyable whilst punishing you for enjoying it.

I can't think of a more apt way to follow up the Avengers.

Old 05-04-2013, 06:50 AM   #97
Norek
Yvonne Strahotski <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra Nolanite View Post
Exactly ! Remember when he told Pepper: "I hope I can protect the thing I can't live without, thats you"

For him to still joke when he has failed in that important mission is not interesting for the character at all. Even if joking IS his defense mechanism.

Remember the look on his face when Coulson died and Fury was giving them his 'I still believe in heroes' lecture.

You guys are saying Stark should have lol'ed at Fury or done something 'Starky'. But he was shocked at the death of his friend and acted accordingly. Isn't that more interesting to see ? (or in Starks case, out of character because tragedy has struck)

Or in IM1 when the reporter showed him pictures of the atrocities committed in Gulmira by his weapons. He got serious. You guys would have him say something like "I got a Jericho missile right here for ya, just gimme a call"

Because that's how he deals with tragedy. Maybe true, but makes for one boring and one dimensional character.
Spot on. The comedic and serious stuff was well balanced before, and that's why many times it didn't work for me in IM3. I can't see how the whole Pepper dying scene was supposed to leave any emotional impact when it was clear she survived the EXTREMIS infection moments ago and didn't blow up. And further down the line, the entire "Whatever" scene was a joke. It diminished any attempt at creating an emotional moment for Tony when he failed to save Pepper. It's like he's well aware that he's a movie character and none of this is real, so he can act however he want without it being accordingly to what's happening. If that's the point then why even try to have these supposed serious moments be that dramatic? The movie just didn't know what it wanted to be most of the time.

"Films are worth seeing period, even the bad ones." - Blue Sugar
Old 05-04-2013, 07:08 AM   #98
-JKR-
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra Nolanite View Post
Thats not fair to Joss Whedon. He gave us the laughs and delivered the goods. Black is no Whedon, but I'm just saying.
True that. He's much better!

Old 05-04-2013, 07:28 AM   #99
Pfeiffer-Pfan
Meow.

Well, I saw the movie last night (In 2D) and I liked it well enough.

I'm finding it quite hard to review the movie because I didn't fall in love with it like the first one and wasn't bored to tears like I was with the second one. It was just kinda there on the screen... a fun, emotional rollercoster with Tony Stark. I think after the scale and action of The Avengers I was looking for something smaller, something a little more personal and thankfully Shane Black delivered just that.

The dialogue was crisp and funny, the action was exciting and visceral. Once again the movie is carried by Robert Downey Jr, but it was still a thrill to see Paltrow and Favreau back in thier roles doing some great work.

I think the part of the movie that left me a little cold was the whole Mandarin/Extremis thing... it just didn't grab me, despite an excellent performance by Ben Kingsley. I just saw the plot twists coming from a mile away. Meh...

A quick shout out to Brian Tyler for the music... I think this might be my favourite score from the trilogy.

So yeah... A competent, engaging, exciting movie. A fine way to start the summer movie season and more importantly a fine way to (potentially) conclude this version of Iron Man. It's just nothing specatcular.

6.5/7 out of 10

And I rank the trilogy:

- Iron Man
- Iron Man 3
- Iron Man 2

I'll miss you dad! xx

Old 05-04-2013, 07:49 AM   #100
ShadowBoxer
Side-Kick

I am in a small minority here, but since this movie resembles Dark Knight Rises in a way, I will say that I enjoyed this waayy more than Dark Knight Rises ( and I am a Bat fan). Rises left me underwhelmed and bored through out most of it run time. I wasnt bored or losing interest watching this. I owe that to the great action scenes, witty humor and RDJ charm really. Plus they really kept things moving in the story.

I rank the Iron Man movies

Iron man
Iron Man 3
Iron man 2

Last edited by ShadowBoxer; 05-04-2013 at 07:55 AM.
Closed Thread