The SuperHeroHype Forums  

Go Back   The SuperHeroHype Forums > Iron Man > Iron Man 3

Old 05-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #101
BenKenobi
Banned User

Default Re: What DIDN'T you like about Iron Man 3? *SPOILER ALERT*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThor View Post
1. The fact that pretty much every armor in this film was a prototype.

2. Mark 42 not being "combat ready"

3. Rhodey's part being smaller

4. Too much Tony Stark not enough Iron Man

5. Pepper defeating Killian, which makes the 2nd villain she's defeated for IM.
Arguably those were what made the film work where Iron Man 2 failed. Iron Man was too powerful in the sequel and while that works in an origin story thats supposed to have you feelings as excited as Tony is, it doesn't work well in a full motion picture.

1.Having the series of protypes allowed for errors and unexpected problems to occur, making Tony vulnerable.

2. Depowering him raises tensions and makes stakes higher.

3. Rhodey having a smaller part keeps the story focused and helps too keep from star wars prequel style desensitizing the audience to the suits, keeping them cool and exciting. When you see War Machine or Iron Man on screen you know ****s going down.

4. Having him spend less time in the suit makes it much more rewarding when he finally is Iron Man again. It's part of what made Spider-Man 2 work so well, you spend the movie frustrated that he's not up to full speed then when he finally is it's satisfying instead of expected.

5. This is the only one that Pepper beat, the last one Tony walked her through and allowed himself to potentially be sacrificed inorder to stop. This isn't necessarily a bad thing because there was build up between Killian and Pepper, not to mention it shows how vital she is to Tony.

The only problem I had with the film was how it kind of copped out of the conflict with saving the president or Pepper by having her body just accept the extremis injection with no explanation. Other than that I was never a big Iron Man fan before the films and I wasn't previously invested in the Mandarin so I didn't mind the reveal. I know some have complained about the toilet joke in his reveal but I thought it worked well to contradict the calculating, articulate, and cruel persona he was given in his televised threats. Plus I like the message it sends by making Killian the villain about the true evils in the world just being greedy individuals rather than over the top extremists.

BenKenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #102
roach
I am the night

I think the twist would have worked better near the end of the third act...
Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:
Tony prepares for his climactic battle with the Mandarin and during it we find out he isnt what he seems and then Killian not only reveals he is behind everything but that he has extremis powers too

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
roach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:27 PM   #103
Robin91939
Master Tim

The film was a good movie. It really was. Great action. Great visuals. Great performances.

It just wasn't the Iron Man 3 that I had wanted to see. So, that's on me, I guess...

Little continuity things like there being no "IRON MAN 3" title that smacks down with a clang (as in the first two films) was just a miss.

What was with the Tropic Thunder-style end credits?

Not having even ONE RIFF of the main theme http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5riyajbsq0 bothered me. This theme is PERFECT Iron Man, and this film just felt a little TOO far from its predecessors for me. This was a contributing factor.

I'm not someone who says "too much of the alter-ego I want more super hero!" I don't care that the majority of the film was Tony out of the suite (and a lot of the action was the same). But I do wish that the times that we see Iron Man on screen that it was actually Tony in the suit and not just remote controlling it. Those moments were letdowns. There's no sense of peril or danger when you look back at it knowing that.

The humor didn't bother me, but there were one or two instances where they went for levity when the moment should have been dire -- those moments suffered.

Now, let's get tot he Mandarin. This is just -- I knew it was going to happen. I never said a word about it before I saw the film, thinking, "I'll give it a shot, see how it plays out." Well, the shot's been given; I watched it play out. I was not happy with it. Maybe that's because from the trailers and TV spots I could tell that Ben Kingsley was going to turn in a Heath Ledger, Tom Hardy, Tom Hiddleston and Michael Fassbender as far as epic, villain performances go in comic book films. Needless to say, I loved everything about what he was doing. The cadence to his speech, the booming sound, the words themselves. It was just so unique, scary, charismatic and intriguing all at once.

Once I found out about the twist, I let those thoughts go. I was disappointed, but as I said, I would wait and see. When I saw, I was unimpressed. First, I felt that the twist happened far too early in the film. The Mandarin (as Kingsley) only had about 3 scenes. Only on where he wasn't in a pirated broadcast. We never get to see him act (in character) against Iron Man. We don't get THAT moment. I also don't recall hearing some of his best dialogue from the trailers, "heroes... there is no such thing" and "I'm going to offer you a choice. Do you want an empty life, or a meaningful death?" These, to my recollection, weren't in the film. If we had gotten these scenes -- and a scene where we have Kingsley'd Mandarin (in character) boasting, and "teaching" Iron Man or Tony while he is at the Mandarin's mercy -- I think I could have gotten past the twist. The approach they took ended up silly and trite. It cut the legs out of a great threat.

Killian, I had no problem with, really. He was a very good villain. And that's my point. Killian could have held a movie with the Extremis soldiers entirely on his own. And Kingsley's version of the Mandarin could have done the exact same. So, knowing that Iron Man doesn't have a deep bench, why would they take two of Stark's best villains and not only put them into the same film, but combine them into the SAME CHARACTER? It just doesn't make sense to me. I feel like we could have gotten two, very solid movies with these two villains.

Bottom line, they made the best version of the movie that they set out to make -- but I feel like the movie I wanted to see, the movie that I feel like the marketing promised, would have been better.

There was a lot that I liked about this film. I do want to see it more to make a full opinion -- but this was the first film in a long time that I just sat there when it was over, not knowing what to think. I haven't been so amped for a movie only to be letdown in a very long time. Maybe since X3: The Last Stand or Spider-man 3 (but I do think Iron Man 3 is a better FILM than both of those movies).

It was just...disappointing. And I wanted so much not to be the whole time I was watching.

-R

Old 05-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #104
A&W
Side-Kick

but can anybody amswwr my queation. if tony had Ll those extra suits then why sidn't they come to his aid when his house was blown up?

Old 05-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #105
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&W View Post
but can anybody amswwr my queation. if tony had Ll those extra suits then why sidn't they come to his aid when his house was blown up?
An easy explanation is they take a significant amount of time to power up. I'd buy that.

spider-neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #106
dru-zod2501
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra Nolanite View Post
Stan Lee's cameo in ASM was arguably the best he's ever had. And at least the ASM after credits scene hinted at SOMETHING about the future and brought some mystery.
ok, apparently it's just me, but I didn't care one bit for the ASM cameo. It just felt like he was there to show his face and not really a part of the story, no matter how briefly, I know that's just nitpicking but it fell flat to me

Last edited by dru-zod2501; 05-04-2013 at 01:40 PM.
dru-zod2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #107
The Joker
Clown Prince of Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by dru-zod2501 View Post
ok, apparently it's just me, but I didn't care one bit for the ASM cameo. It just felt like he was there to show his face and not really a part of the story, no matter how briefly
95% of Stan Lee's cameos have nothing to do with the story. Iron Man 3's is a classic example.

- The Joker
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:37 PM   #108
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
An easy explanation is they take a significant amount of time to power up. I'd buy that.
i'll have to watch the movie again but it didnt seem to take them too much time to power up and fly from Malibu to Miami

There seems to be a grave misunderstanding in todayís protest-hungry world of entertainment fans into how far their opinion should really matter. You donít like a story? Thatís fine Ė donít read a story. Former Marvel editor Tom Brennan
Old 05-04-2013, 01:37 PM   #109
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
95% of Stan Lee's cameos have nothing to do with the story. Iron Man 3's is a classic example.
I think his best cameo was in FF

Old 05-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #110
RaZaTrOn
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&W View Post
The best guess would be that because they got caught off guard there wasn't enough time to prep the suits. The reason they weren't able to reach him until the final act was because of the rubble, so I'm guessing even if he wanted them the rubble and the collapsing house would cause some trouble for them to get out.

RaZaTrOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #111
jacobed
Banned User

Quote:
ok, apparently it's just me, but I didn't care one bit for the ASM cameo. It just felt like he was there to show his face and not really a part of the story, no matter how briefly, I know that's just nitpicking but it fell flat to me
Um wow. That's all of Stan's cameos

jacobed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:46 PM   #112
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach View Post
When he is the postman William Lumpkin?

Old 05-04-2013, 01:54 PM   #113
dru-zod2501
Side-Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobed View Post
Um wow. That's all of Stan's cameos
there is a very very fine line between Stan's cameos being relevant and irrelevant IMO. Some make the cut, some don't.

Last edited by dru-zod2501; 05-04-2013 at 01:58 PM.
dru-zod2501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:05 PM   #114
roach
I am the night

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider-neil View Post
When he is the postman William Lumpkin?
thats the one

Old 05-04-2013, 02:07 PM   #115
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
thats the one
You're right that was a good one. But I really enjoyed Stan being completely oblivious to the destruction of the library, my audience were cracking up.

Old 05-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #116
roach
I am the night

i dunno having him as WL made the cameo a bit more personal as he speaks to characters he created

Old 05-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #117
spider-neil
spins a web any size!

Quote:
i dunno having him as WL made the cameo a bit more personal as he speaks to characters he created
Which is true. That cameo must hold special meaning to the fans who actually knew who the character is (like me).

Old 05-04-2013, 02:16 PM   #118
RaZaTrOn
Side-Kick

Quote:
there is a very very fine line between Stan's cameos being relevant and irrelevant IMO. Some make the cut, some don't.
None are relevant, all the films would work without him cameos thus making them irrelevant. They are there as a small easter egg to fans and to give him a bit of involvement with Marvel Studios.

Personally my favourite was in TIH, simple but really nice.

RaZaTrOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:48 PM   #119
Mr.T
Side-Kick

Ok, after a 2nd viewing today with family this time, I liked the movie a lot more. The mandarin twist definitely is easy accepted on a 2nd viewing. I still have these complaints:

1. Pepper vs Killian
2. None of Iron Mans armors capable of defeating Killian.
3. Arc Reactor-less Tony

Mr.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:23 PM   #120
roach
I am the night

http://www.slashfilm.com/5-things-th...ut-iron-man-3/

Old 05-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #121
Grommers
Side-Kick

I just didn't like that the small subtle references to the mandarin in Ironman 1 & 2, never were mentioned in Ironman 3.

Grommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:32 PM   #122
Brain Damage
Everything Under the Sun

Quote:
I think the Spider-Man 3 is easily his best, bar none.

Free Original Music
Brain Damage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:38 PM   #123
Blade X
Side-Kick

I didn't like the following things in the movie.

1. Way too much Tony/Rhodey/Pepper kicking butt, not nearly enough Iron Man and Iron Patriot kicking butt.

2. All that crap with the Mandarin.

3. Armors getting destroyed so easily.

4. Tony remote controlling the armors to do most of the fighting for him.

5. Tony/Iron Man not being the one to defeat/take down the main bad guy.

6. Tony pulling a GUNDAM WING:ENDLESS WALTZ and destroying all of his armor.

Blade X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #124
TheHeatKitchen
Side-Kick

Mandarin
Pepper killing Killian
The ending resolution being so quick

TheHeatKitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:41 PM   #125
nocomics
Side-Kick

*Pacing was a little slow and just didn't feel right.

*Mandrin; the twist and use of the Mandrin was not that well done.

*The whole fire breathing human reanimated, blow up and heated up ppl just didn't fit right in the movie imo. This was the main issue with me.

*Clean Slate; I actually kind of liked this and the removal of the shrapnel and arc. It's kind of ending this IM trilogy. Will he have the arc for Avengers? To me it doesn't matter that much.

*Pepper getting some powers at end and killing the bad guy, it was okay I guess. I'd rather Tony do it, but whatever.

Overall it wasn't a bad movie I thought it on par with the first two.

nocomics is offline   Reply With Quote